Photo by Melody

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Scale on my potted geraniums. Is systemic insecticide safe?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 3, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pekenpom
Ames, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8454813

Hello, I have several lovely perennial geraniums...pelargoniums correctly, I guess? Anyhow, I've discovered scale on two of them. (Unfortunately I think I introduced it on a new Crassula.) Can I use a systemic insecticide safely on geraniums? Spraying along just isn't getting the job done.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm a real novice at this.
Thanks so much,
Pekenpom

Thumbnail by pekenpom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LoveForests

LoveForests
FU
United States
(Zone 9b)

July 16, 2011
9:41 PM

Post #8696909

Kinda sad no one answered this for her.

Have you tried mixing 1/2 teaspoon of 'Dawn dish washing liquid' to 1 gallon of water and then spraying it on the plants? (It takes a long time to tell if scale has died or not. After about a month after spraying them, spray your plants that have scale with your hose, (away from where your plants normally stay).
If that doesn't work try using 'Bayer Advanced', it's a liquid that gets put into the soil near your plants.

Of course I'm sure I'll get yelled at by the 'super plant pros' out there.

Anways, have a nice summer everyone :]
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9291050

pekenpom, I thought that looked like a dog. Scale insects just don't get that big. I've never seen scale insects on geraniums so I don't know what to tell you. If it was mine I would use some kind of indoor plant spray. Contact your county agent and see if they can tell you what to do. The insect is under the scaley looking raised bump. Unless you get the top off, the insect may not die. Someone with more experience about scale insects probably will have more info. Luciee {;^)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9336223

Now we are on here!! Where were we when she needed us? Anyway, I would say the systemic is fine if the plants are outside. I would not put a full dose on a potted plant however. They tell you not to use inside the house. I have done that, but it is not a good idea. I guess I was desperate.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America