Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Invasive Plant Research Yields Some Good News: The meddling of man!

Communities > Forums > Article: Invasive Plant Research Yields Some Good News
bookmark
Forum: Article: Invasive Plant Research Yields Some Good NewsReplies: 3, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2011
6:39 AM

Post #8455361

Mankind's worst character trait is certainly his control-freak side! Actually, I should say modern man, as the so-called primitive peoples of the world always lived in perfect harmony and respect with mother nature.
Playfully swapping plants and animals around the globe was inevitable with the roaming nature of the human species - settlers and sailors of the old days wanted to take along a piece of home! With a lot of plants this worked just fine and has often made vast improvements in the diet of countries, but sometimes things went badly wrong too .
I do agree with the sentiments of the article - is there always a need to interfere just for the sake of keeping CONTROL? In fact, the mention of elaborate counter-schemes makes me apprehensive too - what if those get out of control too? If the loose-strife munching beetles decide to feast on the 'good' plants as well ?
Nature has a way of balancing things out, except it might not be exactly the picture we have in mind.
There are definitely occasions when we have to re-address the blunders of the past, where man and nature cannot live alongside any longer. I'm thinking of the massive effort of clearing the pine forests around the city of Cape Town , which posed a severe fire hazard. They were introduced by the first white settlers and soon crowded out the local vegetation. The Cape is a winter rainfall area, so veld fires are common in February/March, when everything is very dry after the summer. The sparse Cape vegetation burns down fast and cool, but the big pine trees burning is another story!
But back to the much debated invasive plants. I guess I just don't like the term "invasive plant". It has connotations of clever warfare.
Is a rosebush in a cabbage patch considered a weed?
Food for thought.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8455447

Well said. Thanks for your response.
herbella
Albuquerque, NM

June 5, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9153074

Your invader may be my cherished plant. I have learned that plants labeled as "invasive" in humid climates may die from lack of moisture in arid ones. I have nurtured morning glory and snow-in-summer in order to get them to grow in the single-digit dew point climate of the American southwest. Snow-in-summer found a happy home under a canale (cah-nall'-lee) or cut-off downspout, but has by no means taken over the sandy patch it occupies. However, it has nurtured or encouraged other plants to grow, such as rudibeckia, and purple lobelia. Morning glory grows, but not abundantly so. The lesson is that one gardener's invader is another's welcome ground cover.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 11, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9160770

Good points- the climate makes a huge difference in whether, or which, plants are invasive or aggressive. Many an East Coaster nurtures tropical favorites that (so far) seem guaranteed not to become invasive, because the winter cold will kill the plant.

It is interesting to hear about those things which you must coddle in the arid regions, to enjoy as unusual highlights!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Invasive Plant Research Yields Some Good News Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice job! GardenSox 3 Mar 22, 2011 7:03 PM
Great article, thank you! Sermoneta 2 May 13, 2011 4:47 PM
Not so for Buffelgrass holly85749 1 Mar 28, 2011 1:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America