Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Soil and Composting: little ants in compost pile

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 4, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Richmonder
Richmond, VA

March 28, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8455498

I started my compost pile in November. It is inside of 4 wooden pallets that I attached together. Anyway, I went to turn it this weekend and noticed a ton of little, orange ants in one scoopful. They are not fire ants. I've only added shredded leaves, grass, coffee grinds, and green kitchen scraps to my pile. I don't know where they are coming from (other than maybe the pallets themselves?) as I've not added any wood to the compost pile. I poured some hot, not boiling, water on there but it didn't seem to do much to hurt them.

The interior of my pile is always over 100 degrees a few days after turning, so I thought that would not be hospitable to ants. Should I be concerned or just let it go?

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
7:57 AM

Post #8455598

Richmonder - as long as they are not fire ants, or termites, I would leave them alone. Ants are considered "beneficial insects" - some plants are pollinated by ants. They are probably enjoying the heat from the compost pile to keep their nest warm.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8460414

Uh, orange ants? Did they have long black legs? If so, they weren't ants...

Post a pic so we can be sure they were not Stinkbug nymphs. If so, PROBLEMS ahead...
Richmonder
Richmond, VA

March 30, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8460452

Well maybe they were more brown than orange. Either way, they were definitely ants.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8460461

Ok.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America