Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spidermitehater
Jackson, TN

March 28, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8455527

I have grown moon flowers before. I bought a seed packet and I remember the others i have purchased said to soak the seeds or nick them to break the hard shell to help them germinate. This packet does not mention either. What is correct?
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 28, 2011
10:29 AM

Post #8455973

I soaked them over night in water & a little hydrogen peroxide. All germinated within 4 days.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2011
10:33 AM

Post #8455985

I believe they germinate faster if you soak them or nick them or both. I only plant a few, so I use a nail file to scratch them before I soak overnight.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2011
10:50 PM

Post #8457568

If you are referring to the Daturas, I soak in hand hot water over night. I don't nick. Then I place the seeds in a moist paper towel, inserted in a baggie. Place the baggie where it is warm, such as topof fridge. Mine sprouted in a few days. I then plant them in potting soil in a 6-pack to continue growing until safe to plant outdoors.

Below the Datura seeds sprouted in moist paper towel just prior to potting up

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

spidermitehater
Jackson, TN

April 29, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8528089

Sorry I took so long to post to your threads. I did soak and nick the seeds, put them in a six pack and they took off like wild fire. Planted them and they are doing beautifully. I had every seed germinate so I had enough plants to share. Thanks again. Now I have another question for y'all. I bought a dwarf red japanese maple last Saturday. My niece said it only has a few reddish leaves and thinks it is not a true red maple, and to return it..I really want to see what happens. Any body know anything about these trees?
natrent
Sturgis, KY

March 22, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9052831

does puting in a plastic baggie work and about how long does it take to sprout?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America