Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods: Spring Ephemerals

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the WoodsReplies: 4, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
waplummer
Painted Post, NY

March 28, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8455617

The only two that are truly ephemeral are Claytonia and Erythronium. All the others do not die back after flowering. Three ephemerals not mentioned are: Mertensia virginianum, Dicenta canadensis and Dicentra cucullaria.
suewylan
North Fork, CA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
9:56 AM

Post #8455897

Even professionals define ephemeral in different ways! I have asked both Erica Glasner and Judith Larner Lowry the question, What are Ephemerals? They both say that they are annuals or perennials but both have the trait of blooming briefly in the spring and dying back to the ground after a short growth. I thought after hearing their answers that it was more of a layman's term, I guess.

I'd love it if you'd look at my list of ephemerals in my recent post and tell me which ones are truly defined as that.

These are what I have 'called' Spring Ephemeral's in the foothills of California, only because they seem to be so fleeting. They're all beginning to sprout now and I'm so thankful for their beauty after such a long winter and rainy spring.

Sping Ephemerals in the Sierra Foothills http://wp.me/p10S9N-w2
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8456458

All those that I mentioned grow in my woods. This was never intended to be a treatise or definition of ephemerals. This was a spring walk in my woods, and if I offended your understanding of ephemera in any way, I apologise. The only one that I did mention that leaves any trace much after the end of June would be the Jacks-in-Pulpit, and then it is only a stalk of berries.

Sue, I have no knowledge of the plants much west of the Mississippi, but your photos are lovely.
suewylan
North Fork, CA
(Zone 7b)

March 28, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8456563

Thanks, Kathleen,

I love seeing what grows in your woods, too. I guess we are both lucky to be able to live where the wild things are. I know I am! And I somehow love the sound of the word "ephemeral". I'm glad you wrote this article so when people are out walking in the woods anywhere they know that the flowers they are seeing may be for their eyes only!
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8457974

Thanks Sue.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring Ephemerals, or A Walk in the Woods Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Very timely! DrDoolotz 9 Mar 9, 2012 12:46 PM
Love your vivid descriptions! KathyJo 4 May 7, 2008 2:18 AM
Ephemerals blossems 1 Apr 9, 2012 8:42 AM
wild violets ritalovestennis 1 Apr 27, 2012 6:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America