Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pottersfields
Morehead, KY

March 28, 2011
9:21 AM

Post #8455800

It was suggested i post this over here.:) so.
heyas! Two years ago I divided a purple lilac that I never saw flower on. It was in a very shaded spot. I planted a hedge row about 15 ft long with my thinnings. I split the bush with a spade and went to work. Last year I had 2 blooms on the entire row. That was year one after moving. I've amended with bone meal in the fall and wood ashes over this past winter. The row is in a sunny location now from 1 or 2pm til dusk now. sloped a little. soil somewhat
acidtic. I'm really hoping for a better bloom this year. They are starting now. question is. Have I amended properly? I understood lilacs really liking bone meal and low ph?
ill load some pictures soon. march 28,today
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2011
11:25 AM

Post #8456110

I can't comment on the amendments since I don't grow lilacs, but typically shrubs will take a year or two to really get going after you transplant them. So assuming you've kept them happy otherwise, I'd expect more blooms this year than you had last year, but maybe still not as full a show as they'll put on in future years. (there's a saying for perennials that often holds true for shrubs too...first year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 3, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8469029

I think Cranes "old Saying" answers your question, I have never heard of Lilac being divided by the way you have done it, however, what you need to remember is that to treat the shrub / tree like you have, the cuttings would have been sent into shock, they need a good while to make new roots, to expect them to also produce an abundance of flowers as well is asking too much I would think, I would say you have done very well indeed to have managed to salvage any of the cuttings / devisions etc, so as the "old saying" suggests, give more time, keep watering and am sure by next year you Will see a huge difference. good luck. WeeNel.
Pottersfields
Morehead, KY

April 29, 2011
6:14 AM

Post #8528013

thanks all, good info that makes perfect sense.. ps. and nope they didn't bloom this year. they've had plenty of water this Spring. I'll keep them mulched this Summer. all 16 shrubs are doing very well. It may be a fragrant hedge someday.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America