Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Computer Talk: Excel configure problem

Communities > Forums > Computer Talk
bookmark
Forum: Computer TalkReplies: 5, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8455913

I am fairly a decent user of excel, but I must have inadvertently done something "wrong." I've never seen this before and haven't a clue what to do about it. I am using Excel 2000:

In the screenshot below you can see the spreadsheet screen is divided into quadrants (the problem), and that there are more columns (A-D) not showing. The slide bar at the bottom right can be moved left and right, but has no effect. The slide bar at the right can be moved up and down, and scrolls only the lower left quadrant. The other three are "locked" no matter what I try.

The other pages in the book show normally: no quadrants, scrolling up and down, left to right is unimpeded.

I imagine it is very simple to get back to a regular spreadsheet without quadrants. I just have no idea what to click!

Thanks for any advice,
Rick

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drslm
Urbana, IL

March 28, 2011
10:07 AM

Post #8455929

It looks like your freeze frame is active. You may be able to drag the dividers to the edges. If not, look in the menus for freeze (I have a later version of Excel, so I can't be more specific).
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

March 28, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8456105

Excel Menu Bar ---> Window ---> Unfreeze Panes
Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 29, 2011
9:38 AM

Post #8458368

That is exactly it. Thanks.
I was purposely freezing paning row 1 in all the sheets around that time, but had never thought about freezing columns, or rows and columns as a possibilities - just rows. Certainly, I must have "freeze paned" when a wrong cell was highlighted.

All better now,
Rick
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

March 29, 2011
10:44 AM

Post #8458488

If you select a single cell then it will put the freeze split above and to the left of the selected cell.
If you select a whole column then the split will be to the left of the selected column and if you select a whole row then the split will be above the selected rows.
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8461227

Freezing panes is great! To get to the rows above the freeze or columns to the left of a freeze, just click in a cell (above or to the left of the freeze) and then you can scroll to the topmost row or leftmost column (without unfreezing).

Beware of another similar problem - when you use your directional keys (arrows, page up, down, home, end) and the rows (or columns) move but your location doesn't. This happens when the scroll lock is turned on.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Computer Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hotmail help Calalily 13 Jul 17, 2008 11:51 AM
Screen Capture Programs holty 16 Feb 8, 2010 2:13 AM
This 'problem' is driving me nuts! hczone6 10 Feb 11, 2014 4:24 PM
Laptop recommendations Gwendalou 10 Jul 30, 2007 10:12 PM
G Mail Invitations PudgyMudpies 43 Dec 28, 2007 12:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America