Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 28, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8456478

I recently bought a house in much need of remodeling. The current project is removing all the old sheet vinyl flooring. Some of it comes up fairly easily, but a lot of it leaves its backing behind. Any suggestions?
Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8459862

Use a floor scraper to scrape up the backing. The floor scraper looks kinda like a wide chisel on a long pole. Available at hardware stores. It also works great at breaking up ice in the winter :)

If the backing's glue is really stubborn you could try a heat gun and a regular scraper to try to get it up.

Dawn
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 30, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8461733

Thanks Dawn, I have the scraper you describe and it leaves the backing. I'll give heat a try.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8461742

If I may suggest, try saturating an area with water first. Let it stand about ten minutes before you scrape it.

I removed a vinyl floor at work that had been put down because the painted slab under it didn't dry quick enough. Over the years, it was time to remove it. I scraped with a heavy tool similar to Dawns' only this one was on loan from a friend that did roofing. This tool was called a spud and used to remove roofing. Hard work and I struggled with it till I discovered wetting it. After the initial effort, this seemed a breeze.

Good luck.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 30, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8461755

My vinyl glue does not seem to respond to water but paint thinner sort of dissolves the backing. I could do without the smell, however! Perhaps I should check in the hardware store to see what is recommended on the vinyl glues label as a clean up solvent.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8462051

Oh, sorry... what an effort. I know others that have given up and simply topped with a laminate flooring. Best wishes.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 2, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8467351

I'm almost done; just one corner of the kitchen and a pantry to go. I think I'll make it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America