Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Handyman: Removing Sheet Vinyl

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 6, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 28, 2011
2:20 PM

Post #8456478

I recently bought a house in much need of remodeling. The current project is removing all the old sheet vinyl flooring. Some of it comes up fairly easily, but a lot of it leaves its backing behind. Any suggestions?
Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

March 30, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8459862

Use a floor scraper to scrape up the backing. The floor scraper looks kinda like a wide chisel on a long pole. Available at hardware stores. It also works great at breaking up ice in the winter :)

If the backing's glue is really stubborn you could try a heat gun and a regular scraper to try to get it up.

Dawn
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 30, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8461733

Thanks Dawn, I have the scraper you describe and it leaves the backing. I'll give heat a try.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8461742

If I may suggest, try saturating an area with water first. Let it stand about ten minutes before you scrape it.

I removed a vinyl floor at work that had been put down because the painted slab under it didn't dry quick enough. Over the years, it was time to remove it. I scraped with a heavy tool similar to Dawns' only this one was on loan from a friend that did roofing. This tool was called a spud and used to remove roofing. Hard work and I struggled with it till I discovered wetting it. After the initial effort, this seemed a breeze.

Good luck.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

March 30, 2011
9:09 PM

Post #8461755

My vinyl glue does not seem to respond to water but paint thinner sort of dissolves the backing. I could do without the smell, however! Perhaps I should check in the hardware store to see what is recommended on the vinyl glues label as a clean up solvent.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
4:15 AM

Post #8462051

Oh, sorry... what an effort. I know others that have given up and simply topped with a laminate flooring. Best wishes.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 2, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8467351

I'm almost done; just one corner of the kitchen and a pantry to go. I think I'll make it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America