Photo by Melody

African Violets and Gesneriads: Starfish . . . .

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 21, Views: 141
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8456981

Why on earth would starfish get soggy when wet?!?!??????????????

Thumbnail by Syrumani
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8457105

Ok, so what does that have to do with AV's or gessies? Well, I'm going to try an underwater design in the upcoming club show, and thought a starfish would be a great part of the design . . . but I'm going to have to work on that . . .
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
6:23 AM

Post #8457939

Beautiful! Wow! It looks a lot like my Lil' Snowdrift Sport! I could never figure out the underwater designs either, but they sure are beautiful! It seems to me that they would be viable for only a few days. I am anxious to read the responses of those who have had experience with these. Glad you brought it up!

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8457953

That was Pony Ride. I don't have that one anymore . . . but I don't like starting threads without a pic!

I'm wondering if I can't spray a starfish with some kind of sealant . . . to make it water proof. And if I can, I wonder if the sealant would be waterproof . . . I'm trying to keep things as "natural" as possible . . . I've got this real good idea going, but if I can't waterproof a starfish or sea horse(s), then I'm . . . um . . . back at square 1.5 . . .
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
7:02 AM

Post #8458018

LOL! Was wondering how come "Starfish" was new to me! I'd be more worried about the plant becoming waterlogged than a starfish. Isn't their exoskeleton waterproofed by nature?
EarleG
Sanbornton, NH

March 29, 2011
7:58 AM

Post #8458148

Just a thought, but you could try dipping the starfish and the seahorse in marine varnish, such as is used on boats, to preserve and waterproof them.

Earle G
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

March 29, 2011
8:10 AM

Post #8458172

That is a great idea. I was going to say to be careful of anything colored you place in water. We had a lady with a ruined underwater design because by day2 color had leached into the water.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8458876

Jan - they're waterproofed by nature prior to their demise . . . once they are "collected" by people and dried, they lose their waterproofness . . . (yes, real word . . .I've got my handwritten dictionary right here . . . )

Marine varnish . . . I wonder if they have that at walmart? I'll have to check that out. Thanks, Earle G

Oh, I'm being careful of everything I'm going to put in the water. I have a few shells that may go in . . . I had bought 3 starfish . . . (in retrospect, I should have gotten more for testing purposes!) - one was so waterlogged that it turned to mush when we tried to take it out of the water! I also have soaking an oyster shell that I snagged from the chinese buffet place the other night. So far, that one still clouds the water, so I'm going to try boiling it tonite . . .
EarleG
Sanbornton, NH

March 29, 2011
2:54 PM

Post #8458893

Shells will give up minerals into whatever water you put them into. They can definitely change the pH after a relatively short time.

If Walmart carries marine varnish, it would be in the paint section.

Earle G
phoebesviolets
Land of OZ, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8458960

Oooooooh! I did not know that! "waterproofness"--cool word! My spellcheck did not like it at all though, but what does spellcheck know...it doesn't like the way I spell my name either! Whoever 'Hurd' of such a thing? ^_^

Thumbnail by phoebesviolets

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8459201

Good thing about an underwater design, though, is that the ph of the water won't really matter . . . as long as it looks good during judging . . . the blossom(s) in the design might get water logged after a few hours, but those could be changed out easily enough each morning of the show/sale.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8459275

Who knew that boiling 1 oyster shell would make the whole apartment smell of chowder?!?
meag848
Kittrell, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2011
12:01 AM

Post #8459725

Nichole, did you know that oyster shells are mainly calcium? Hubby gives them to his chickens.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8459815

Really? That's interesting! I just kept this shell 'cause it's got a nice bowl shape to it . . . ^_^
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

March 30, 2011
6:17 AM

Post #8460004

That's so funny that you snatched the shell from a buffet. Inspiration can strike at any time and any where.
I won underwater last year with something extremely simple. There are 'crystals' at craft stores, some with predrilled holes. I jammed the stems of a couple carrot leaves with one violet blossom into the hole. No glue, tape, etc... required to 'hold' it into place. It was then lowered through a narrow neck jar with long forceps (had to carefully 'squish' the bundle together to get through). Filled with distilled water and 'wo-la'- best in design! The judges loved the narrow neck or the jar because it didn't appear that the arrangement could 'fit' (water magnifies so),
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8460427

Jamie,
Did you take a picture ?.I would love to see it.

Lynn
jamiew
Montgomery, AL

March 30, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8460524

No I didn't. It was my first show ever and I didn't think to take pictures. The bottle was a brandy snuffer (I think) with a pewter neck, really pretty. I used a really big bloom of Music Box dancer.

Thumbnail by jamiew

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
11:34 AM

Post #8460553

Oh, Jamie . . . now you've got me thinking of bottles!

The "theme" for the underwater category is "Rub a dub dub, 3 men in a tub" . . . (it's a nursery rhyme show . . . )

This message was edited Mar 30, 2011 12:36 PM
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2011
2:57 PM

Post #8461009

Jamie,
That's gorgeous!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8469169

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/817166/

Check this site perhaps something here is useful.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 3, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8469213

clear glass christmas ornament can be a useful containe

baby jar with frog glued to the bottom and camouflaged

gutted bulb using a vegetable for ancor and then camouflaged.

Depending on the specs as to size.
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8469291

You guys are just the best, the way you find things for other people! I'm getting new ideas all the time with your help!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America