Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Invasive Succulents in My Yard: Mother of Thousands

Communities > Forums > Article: Invasive Succulents in My Yard
bookmark
Forum: Article: Invasive Succulents in My YardReplies: 2, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rickmccj
Chula Vista, CA

March 28, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8457326

I like to let the mother of thousands grow because I like the red-pink flowers it makes in the middle of winter. They give color to the yard when almost nothing else is blooming

Thumbnail by rickmccj
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2011
10:57 PM

Post #8457572

Hey Palmbob,
Nicely written and informative article. : - )
I have lots of succulents, it's true, most of which you named in the article. I keep the aloes for it's healing properties. I keep the Mother of Thousands (some say Hundreds) because they make such great hummingbird attractants. : - )
As rickmccj says they do provide color in a season which is either brown or green depending on rainfall.
While I've never tried to kill a pregnant onion, I have purposely not given them water for months on end, and I'll be darned if the only change is that it doesn't flower. You can peel off the clones and keep them potted to control their somewhat invasive characteristics. : - )
Found several other "friends" mentioned in your article, and some I don't want to meet. : - )
Excellent photos to accompany the article. : - )
I have to admit I really liked the pink Kalanchoe too. : - )
Well done, hope you'll write some articles on other types of succulents, and cactus too.
Walk In Beauty~
SingingWolf
quiltygirl
No Central, AZ
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2013
12:00 PM

Post #9448120

SingingWolf is the reason I have 2 of those invasives: Mother of Thousands and Pregnant Onion. I have only had them in pots (you should have seen them CRAMMED into the 6" pot SW gave me), on a patio, so they have not sprouted up in the yard. Yes, they do drop into other potted plants nearby, but are easy to pull out. I have found both of them do not like it very cold and even while we lived in inland SoCal, would bring them into the house in the winter as they would 'melt' outside in the less than 35 degree nights.

Now we live in Northern AZ where we REALLY have cold and I have them and anything else I could fit on a 3 tier rubbermaid garage shelving system in my kitchen 'nook'. They are all very happy there and the Mother of Thousands has peach colored flowerettes (they were yellow in CA) and the geraniums have bigger leaves and flowers than outside too. I also have a pot of jade (also from SW) in the kitchen. The one left outdoors 'melted' as did the hanging banana succulent, from the cold. This is NOT succulent, palm and cactus territory - even if the nogales cactus growing wild seem to be holding on.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Invasive Succulents in My Yard Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Invasive ... or very good survivor ! binibusybee 5 Apr 27, 2011 2:58 PM
Ice plants pfherd 1 Mar 28, 2011 5:59 PM
Pick Me synda 0 Mar 28, 2011 3:44 PM
Thanks... I can testify! cabngirl 0 Mar 28, 2011 8:46 PM
Pregnant Plant orangegrovegirl 0 Mar 29, 2011 7:49 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America