Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canadian Gardening: What's Happening in your neck of the woods/chat with friends

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 227, Views: 1,401
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8457722

Lordy, moved us over incorrectly last time, sure hope you can find us...

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1167829/

and here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1160898/

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 6:30 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8457755

Hope I'm in the right place ^_^
LoL .. kinda sounds like a 'Rodney Dangerfield' joke ...

Betty .. So unfair to have to wait that long for an MRI !!! Lorna's Mom was having the same problem with getting an Ultra Sound re her breast .. she phoned the Ultra Sound clinic herself and spoke to the receptionist, and was able to get a date 10 days earlier .. go figger !!

Nothing earth shattering planned for today .. yet .. but .. the day is young ...

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2011
7:19 AM

Post #8458055

"M" yep right room,lol. Head not thinking straight, led you all astray...

Not fair at all, Thea from Ottawa was telling me that there is a central registration number that I could be put on, might mean a few hours drive but that would be okay in order to get a quicker appointment?

How Lorna's mom and dad? guess doing better as I've not heard you say you were heading this way!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2011
8:53 AM

Post #8458286

'THINGS' are still 'up in the air' re a trip east. Right now we're waiting for the Ultra Sound results .. it's been a week .. to me, that means nothing too serious has been found .. of course .. gone are the days of QUICK results .. seems the paperwork hits a variety of desks before the patient is graced with the info ..

Sure hope you do try the 'fast track method' Betty .. you might be surprised.

Waiting to hang out load#2 of clothes .. seems to me the washer takes longer to wash the clothes now, of course, they come from the washer a lot dryer than before.

Planning to spend the lion's share of the day outside .. beautiful out there ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8458638

Just spoke with Ann, Mike has taken a turn for the worse, she's crying her heart out, says she's praying that if he has to die that it be now, why make him suffer in pain as he's doing..it must be bad for her to completely lose it...they were at Newmarket hospital yesterday, they did the a procedure a few weeks ago, they went for a check up, Dr. showed them the x-ray from 3 weeks ago to yesterday and said he couldn't believe the growth of the tumors..said nothing can be done to relieve him of the pain..setting up palative care..

drats, just not good...prayers could help dear friends!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
12:52 PM

Post #8458671

Hi folks,

Been more or less MIA but try to follow along. Things will get better now as there were two concerts last weekend with two different orchestras. One of them won't come along again as they promised pay and then underpaid virtually all of the musicians. I don't think there's anyone who's willing to play with them again.

Betty - thank you for the news from Ann. Keeping her and Mike in my Ts and Ps. And thank you for the move. The other thread was so long that I'd stopped doing anything other than checking to see if it was moved.

Marilynne - I jealous that you are able to hang out clothes. There's still quite a bit of snow where my back yard dryer will go.

Ann (Viann)

This message was edited Mar 30, 2011 5:02 PM

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2011
1:10 PM

Post #8458703

Well Betty .. I am SO hoping the Palliative care is set up sooner as opposed to later .. I am guessing Mike would have a 'central line' .. an apparatus that will enable him to be hooked up to a pain delivery system .. as his wife says, seeing him suffer is difficult, and he simply should NOT be.

Nice to see you posting Ann .. what a RAW DEAL re the pay for playing!! Don't blame anyone who would not return ..
I love my clothesline, but, am finding my shoulders do NOT this year .. so .. gonna have to grease some wheels to make reeling it out and in a bit easier.

Have been out all afternoon, in now to make supper and take a break !!!

Off to the groomers with Piper tomorrow .. he WON't be happy !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 29, 2011
1:11 PM

Post #8458705

Ann, glad that all went well with the concerts...

Will let Ann know that prayers are being on their behalf.

Snow all gone in my yard but it's been bitter cold..saying we're on a warming trend though
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 29, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8458865

Betty
T and P's from this Ann too. When I hear of anyone in pain it makes me angry that in this day of technology there isn't more that can be done for people. Such a shame, I hope he is given some peace, SOON.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8460843

Thank you Ann, I keep telling her you are all praying for their needs..

Been viewing this very addictive site on hummers..

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ourhummingbirdnest-com

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8460926

Gets kind of confusing with all the Anns. Call me Vi-ann. What does Edmonton Ann want to be called? Or maybe we could say Betty's Ann.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8460978

Ann
I know what you mean, its been a long time since I have had others with the 'plain" spelling to match mine.
You can call me what ever you would like to call me, with in reason. Maybe we could just use the Annabell instead, then there won't be too many of us out here. Or I can be Alberta Ann?
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2011
4:09 PM

Post #8461177

You are BOTH my Ann's...

Tonight and I know I should not have because there is still snow coming I raked part of a garden ad burnt...got to tell you I need a bath, smell like a b.b.q. Betty!

Did any of you get to work I your gardens today?

Trying to decide if I want to make something for supper, was out for Chinese at luck and not very hungry and yet tummy is saying feed me/
feed me. Lol. S off I go

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 30, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8461198

I vote for Vi-Ann and Alberta Ann ^_^
Both of you are so wonderful in your own ways .. don't want to confuse anyone ...

Lots happened with Lorna today .. she now has a NEW prosthetic foot .. and some re adjustments here and there .. all in all, a good day for her .. we have to shop for new runners for her now ...

Piper got groomed .. LOOKED wonderful .. brought him home .. and PLOP .. into a MUD PUDDLE ... just his butt mind you .. but ... I laughed instead of letting out a horrifying shriek LoL
Next month BOTH he and Lilly go together for their 'FROO FROO DOs' !!!!!

Made Chicken Souvlaki for supper .. whooooooooo weeeeeeeeeee ... lotsa garlic and pepper ... but .. it was a nice change ..

Been up since 5am .. early to bed for sure ...

Weather is ACES ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 30, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8461240

Once Lorna gets her new runners she'll be able to do the happy dance! Was an ace day here as well "M" but they are calling for a bit of snow/rain for the next few days..almost over!

My favorite souvlaki, garlic and all. The restaurant next door make a great one, you get an entire meal and Greek salad for $10.50, enough to divide for 2 meals..been awhile since I ordered it, maybe this weekend...can't buy food to cook for that amount of money..just think of the hydro I'll be saving lol

Took my camper over to the canvas maker tonight..had brought the tent unit over on Friday. He picked up the material and wanted to get started so now he has both he can get at it..told him no rush but do want it back by may 1st...

Now in nighty looking at couch then bed trying to decide if I want to stay up or go to bed...today has been the first day in a month that I can stand the pounding in my head and blurred vision, hopefully I'm finally on the mend

Enjoy your evening!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8462971

Goodness we have had 3 warm sunny days in a row- the snow is melting in fast order and I have an ankle deep lake at the back gate/ fence! It will take a while to disappear, snow on the other side of the fence is high and just melting into the lake and I cant do anything about it! Usually I keep all that snow cleared away because this is the lowest part of the yard but was not able to do that this winter. so parking the car out front instead of wading thru the water to the parking pad.

Bailey, 14 earlier this month, had something funny going on and had surgery yesterday- turned out to be big absess under one of his upper canines so that had to come out- he is stitched up and on pain meds so not feeling anything. At the same time vet removed a small adenoma ( benign tumor) just above his anus at the base of his tail and so he is stitched there too. Incision goes almost to the anus so vet says I must check him every time he poops to be sure he is clean! Just took him for a short walk- he is still feeling the effects of the anaesthetic but much brighter today, on soft food for about a week. I think the stitches stimulate his anus as he keeps squatting as if trying to poop and nothing happens! Had me up and out at 3AM this morning. Good thing it was not 20 below!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8463106

Oh Carol
Poor guy,,, both ends!
I'm thinking he will feel better fast. Kind of good that you could get two things done with one anaesthetic cost as I know that can be expensive.

We too are having a big melt. My Sr citizen neighbor got stuck in the ally today so i went out to help.
Not being able to push I asked if I could drive for her. That worked and got her out of the frozen water filled rut she was stuck in. It's bad in the allies for the smaller cars. I'm glad she didn't have both sets of wheels accros the ally in two different ruts...that would not have been good.

I have some seeds that have grown and need to be transplanted ,hope to get that done this weekend. Lots of noise at my bird feeder which I'm enjoying. And it was ABOVE 0 today!!!!
Ann Alberta
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8463122

Huge snow storm forecast for here for tomorrow, hoping this is just a bad April Fool's Day joke.
It has been so nice here, the snow is mostly gone and the crocuses are blooming, not looking forward to tomorrow and 20 -25 cm of snow - it has to be a joke...Laurie
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8463138

Laurie
I will keep my fingers crossed that it is. We are far from crocuses blooming. Still have 3 ft of snow.
Ann Alberta
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

March 31, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8463320

I too enjoyed the spring weather today. I had my first walk through the garden.Found 2 crocus blooming.The big surprise was the baby goldfish.I've never had one before.It is nearly 2" long. Since March has gone out like a lamb my cyber friend in Australia suggested Lambchop for it's name. I made him the godfather for his contribution.Here is the family in a very dirty pond.JOY

Thumbnail by agedgardener

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

March 31, 2011
4:01 PM

Post #8463416

Ahhh look at Lambchop..how deep is your pond that you can keep them all winter...think is I remember correctly you have a heater? At the deepest part of the pond I have about 31/2 to 4' of depth...did purchase fish back a few years ago but I think Missy m kitty or local blue heron got them..

Sun was out here all day but with the wind it was quite cool..calling for a nice weekend, wouldn't you know I'm shuffling off to Buffalo tomorrow..might be better that I am so I'm not raking like a fool all weekend..

Head is just a pounding tonight. Dropped in to the vision centre to have them check my glasses, was told they would make a slight change in the arms but said the bifocals are right where they should be..told me to raise my office. Hair tomorrow so I'm looking down instead of upward, at this point I'll try anything!

It's wonderful that they were able to do the 2 proceedures on Bailey, anesthetic is hard on them at that age...

Glad it's melting but you sure don't need a flood..be careful if it freezes, easy to fall.

Guess if I raked the front beds I might find some crocus! Was at Walmart, didn't go right up to the garden centre but could se them setting supplies out..what I did see was that they had 5 to 6 cedars..should would love to pick up a few..
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 31, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8463922

http://www.dump.com/2011/02/25/mannequin-head-drop-prank-video/

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2011
8:37 PM

Post #8464056

Ottawa Raging Grannies made a new video which is up on YouTube. Too political to say more, but a search for the above group will bring up links to it.

Had handbells tonight and spent the rest of the evening watching TV.

Wishing you all a good night.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2011
5:09 AM

Post #8464422

Laurie .. according to our local weather lady's report last evening .. your weather is NOT a joke!! Lawsie .. when the map went to the east coast it was ALL BLUE .. and she noted that anyone travelling that way had best call ahead re delays.

Joy .. the Goldfish look wonderful, and 'LAMBCHOP' is a lovely name for a wee fishie ^_^

Hope Bailey is improving as the days pass Carol .. don't envy you the 'toiletry duty', but, has to be done for the incision to heal.

Betty .. did the doc take your blood pressure when you visited? This headache seems to be far too long in it's staying.
Good luck going to Buffalo .. hope the weather is okee dokee ..

Will look up the link re the Grannies Ann.

TGIF

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2011
5:12 AM

Post #8464428

LOL ... Carol ... I just watched the link ... DAWG ... I would have SCREAMED too had I reached down to retrieve that item LOL
Good one !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 1, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8464674

LOL, think I'd have let out some words I don't normally use...what people don't think of.

Will also go look for the Ottawa Raging Grannies Viola Ann. enjoy your evening, not often you get to relax.

Beautiful sunshine day here, sitting quietly in hopes my head gets better. Didn't want to disappoint Darlene with not going to the big craft show in N.Y...she's often ill and can't get out of bed, was so hoping she'd call and say 'no can go' so guess I'm going!

You know I had that on my list "M" to ask about blood pressure and then you get in and gab about this and gab about that and before you know it out you go with 1/2 questions not answered.
Went to the vision center yesterday with my new glasses..2nd time I've been, said the bifocals are right where they should be..hd hould improve the clarity, guess I'll have to wait and see if still the same after my appts. for tests. Just no fun though!

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8465143

LOL at the mannequin head!
The weather is certainly not a joke, snow started here about 9 am and no signs of slowing down. Lots of heavy wet snow. Sent us home early from work so nice to have a head start on the weekend.
Hope you are making out OK Joy - Fredericton always gets hammered worse than the coast...Laurie
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2011
12:37 PM

Post #8465216

Laurie It looks like Christmas.I had a turkey in the freezer since thanksgiving and yesterday I decided to cook it.Most appropriate for the weather.The turkey came from the States and had no legs or wings.Just a large gaping hole for dressing which I didn't make.put in and apple and onion.Yesterday it felt like spring...found my first crocus and now...JOY

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8465226

And this is out back

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8465452

Took this before I went to work this morning.

Thumbnail by growum

growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8465458

this is now

Thumbnail by growum

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8465529

OMG Laurie and Joy ... !!!! What can I say?
NorthWestern Ontario had a grand day today .. but .. 'eternal pessimist' that I am .. I can forsee OUR DUMP of the white stuff looming sometime soon ..
THOSE pics are just brutal !!!

Got Lorna's new runners (sneakers) today .. pricey pieces of footwear .. one can only hope they are durable.
Also had a friend who owns a pet shop make me a 'dog coupler' .. made to my specifications .. she did a wonderful job!!
Now, each doggie has 3 feet of leash each and I control both with the flexilead .. to all of you who have never walked 2 poochers .. disregard the former .. can get downright confusing LoL

Waiting patiently for tonights episode of Coronation ST ... guilty, OR, not guilty ... the tials and tribulations on ..'THE STREET' ... am thinking we should start a 'CORRIE Forum' LoL

Take care everyone

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8465548

I know exactly what you mean Marilyn- I have a coupler also and it is adjustable so the dogs can be only a foot or so apart up to 6 feet apart. However I have almost never used it as I got so used to having them both on flexis which I put on a belt so my hands are free and I can grab the flexis as needed.

Just looked out the window and it is snowing!!!!!!.

Checked a weather forecast and there are snowfall warnings out! Just when most of the snow was gone from my yard and the back gate lake is almost evaporated - here we go again!

Baileys mouth does not seem to bother him, he has a lot of stitches- vet turned quite a flap but he is on Metacam. What does bother him is the stitches under his tail - he is probably constipated from the antibiotics and he is having a hard time pooping . Every time he squats he quickly sits so it obviously hurts. He did manage a small poop this morning. Had a brain wave and asked vet if I could give him some stool softener but he said that is a bit too drastic! Gave him some pumpkin this after noon and will add that and broth ( so he gets more liquid) to his supper. Hope that helps.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8465591

PUMPKIN is a winner in the 'poo' dept .. as is .. metamucil ... anything that'll soften his stools .. poor fella ...

SNOW ... NO !!!!!!!!! That said .. I KNOW we'll get some .. ahh well .. this IS Canada ~~

~M~
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8465693

Here is another picture of the pines out back.Mother nature is pruning them.

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 1, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8466053

Marilyn Never thought about Metamucil - I do have some - not sure if he would drink it but it would make for more liquid which the vet recommended. Have you used it with a dog?( I was taking it ( along with Imodium) after the surgery but I stopped because I didn't think it was worth the trouble! Imodium sure works though!)

Have a little gathering of garden friends ( The Fools) on Sunday and was going to shop tomorrow but figured I better go tonight as they seem to be predicting a lot of snow. I'm doing all the food this time instead of potluck- figured that way whatever was left over was something I would normally eat anyway. Always hard to get people to take home leftover food! Nothing fancy- some cheeses and spread with crackers and french bread, mini quiches, lemon loaf, butter tarts and popcorn, coffee and juice and wine if people want. Just have to make the butter tarts and a crab spread and the popcorn, might do a spicy popcorn instead of plain for a change.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 1, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8466067

Guess you're not going to be outside with The Fools, Carol - sounds like it's going to be nasty with all the snow! 20cm they say...
Just when we almost got used to it being spring.

Betty - so hard for Ann right now, but I think she's being brave in saying she'd let Mike go without pain rather than making him suffer... My thoughts are with her and Mike.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8466895

Having an UGgggggggg UGGGGGGGGG UGGGGgggggggg day :-(
One of the young women who did a placement with VCARS when I worked for them (Victims Crisis and Referral Saercie) with the police, passed away in Toronto .. Deanna had been flown there from Thunder Bay with a heart problem .. she was 25 and just a WONDERFUL human being .. had her Honours Bachelor of Social Work and was embarking on a career helping disturbed teens.
She ran a half marathon in Oct. 2010 !!

A good friend (firefighter/paramedic) who worked with Gord has been told his days are numbered .. he has 3 brain tumors .. all inoperable .. glioblastomas.

Gonna sit outside today and enjoy EVERY ray of sunshine, every bird (even the Crows) every deer .. and every breath I take ...

Carol .. my dear friend uses 'psyllium/metamucil' with one of her dogs who has an anal fissure .. she mixes it with the food, but, ensures the dog gets LOTS of water .. works wonderfully well ..

Joy .. we are to get snow starting tomorrow .. spoke with my friend in Calgary a bit ago .. said she thought she had wakened to an APRIL FOOLS joke !!!!

TTFN

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 2, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8466902

APRIL FOOLS, indeed - about 6" at least, and still coming down. Good day for a blanket and hot chocolate, watching TV or quilting (hmmm hand quilting - can do both!)
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8467314

So far so good here, no snow yet.
Marilynne... I have taken to counting my blessings and enjoying the little things too. I don't think enough folks do that.
Carol I have found the Benifiber stuff better than the psyllium stuff. It seems to not thicken anything and melts to nothing. Does a great job. With Bailey... do the stitches have a pokey bit that would poke him back in a certain position? The pumpkin sounds like a good idea. I also used to put warm water with a tiny bit of chicken broth on my Thor's dry food and that encouraged him to eat and gave him more moisture. Anyway I'm sure you know all the tricks for looking after him .

Transplanted a bunch of babies today and ran out of soil so off to Revy to get the Pro. Mix. they are the cheapest game in town for it.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 2, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8467431

WHAT a day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I might have mentioned that Piper's breeder in Sault St Marie had a stroke in January.
He will not be going home, and, his sister is left with the task of ALL the animals Don has .. Pheasants, Bunnies, ponies, Guinea Hens, Geese, chickens .. cats .. AND ... WESTIES !!!!
Seems she is 'giving away' the pups not sold from Piper's litter .. not sure how many or what sex ..
What a conundrum!!! I am awaiting a call from a woman handling calls for these dogs from TBay .. my biggest fear is that they will be psychologically scarred .. no one to play with them, train them .. they would be almost a year old ..
SIGH .. I gave up getting Kate in March as I thought a YOUNG pup would be too much work .. now .. here I am considering one older, but, with NO training ...
Doubt I'll sleep much tonight thinking about this ..

Looks as though the snow is making it's way to TBay .. best go out and cover up what needs to be ..

TTFN

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8467569

I recall working Metamucil into a cat's diet many moons ago. Hard to believe that it's been 7 years since I've had a cat.

Just got a message that there is now a musical "teaser" of my handbells on the church web site. You'll find a link at: http://www.emmanuelunited.ca/get_involved/adults.php

It is just a teaser as it contains clips from several different performances. Enjoy.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8468308

Vi-Ann ... I did listen, and was treated to beautiful music. Quite an accomplishment, the 'bells, sound awesome ^_^

Got up twice last night to see if the 'storm' had arrived .. it hadn't and hasn't .. so far .. the sunrise was absolutely glorious .. Fushcia and Salmon pink .. stored it away as a 'keeper memory'.
I have checked the radar weather on the computer, and the storm is creeping slowly towards us from the southwest .. I think it's going to be pretty messy.

Looks like perhaps this will be a housework day ..

TTFN

~M~
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8468847

Wow snow, snow,and more snow- apparently we got between 20-30 cms and more on the west(my) side of the city! This morning a neighbor cleared my front walk and the one with the snowblower did the parking pad and I did the smaller path ways. Also cleared the car which was quite a job - probably cant even drive it out from all the snow! Fortunately dont need to go anywhere!

7-8 garden friends should be here this afternoon. Menu: Goat cheese with cranberries, Boursin soft cheese with garlic and herbs, red pepper jelly and cream cheese and a crab spread. Biscuits and french bread. Also hot mini quiches,
Sweets: lemon loaf, butter tarts, strawberries. Coffee, cranberry /apple juice, white wine .

All things I will eat myself if there are leftovers. Will also take some to my two snow shovellers!

The sun is shining, guess the strom headed east and it is above 0 so I expect things will start melting.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2011
10:26 AM

Post #8468859

As I type this .. the snow has started here in Thunder Bay .. and boy oh boy is it coming down .. right over Lake Superior.
DAWG, I'll have to cancel my plane ticket to Calgary to join in with Carol for her get together ^_^
The food sounds delish Carol .. yummy in fact .. enjoy ..

WOO HOO .. I just bought a PLANT LADDER on Kijiji !!! Have been looking and looking as my wooden one finally gave up the ghost (with Piper's help) .. was going to purchase one ON SALE at Home Hardware for $80.
My friend emailed me a Kijiji ad .. a nice Ikea metal one for $30. !! I called the fella and he dropped the price to $25.
Once I get my poor African Violets back into the Eastern Window, I'll take a pic .. they haven't bloomed since been moved UP out of direct sunlight.

Off to have my shower .. seems I have been multi tasking all day so far .. time to RELAX !!!!!!!!!!!!

~M~

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 3, 2011
8:39 PM

Post #8470211

snow, ugh! I fell in it yesterday, and I found out at clinic today that I sprained my knee... siiiiiigh I'm on anti-inflammatory meds and using crutches. It will take some time to get used to them, but I will be at work tomorrow anyhow ^_^

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8470594

OH my Susan .. sure hope the fix works .. usually does .. but .. BE CAREFUL with the crutches !!!
I think we have now rec'd about 10 to 15cm of heavy wet snow .. shoveling will be difficult .. thank heaven we kept the snowblowers out and tarped .. the snow is still falling and expected to turn to rain .. but .. SUN and double digit temps will be on the agenda for the end of the week.
Not sure whether I'll chance going into town for the plant ladder or not .. wait and see situation ..

Hope everyone has a super week !!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 4, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8470857

Morning all, while I was away you got terrible weather..was a sunshine weekend for me..raining heavily today, think they are calling for much the same all week..add high winds to that and makes for 'yuk' but it's not white so must enjoy it as will wash all the leftover snow and salt from the roads away.

"M" that's terrible getting so much bad news in just a few days..sending prayers for those in need and soft hugs for you!

Oh no Susan, how is you knee today? Able to get to work? Here we've had snow and ice all winter and you fall now that spring has sprung..

ViAnn off to check the link..

Waving to all others...no can gab, been fighting headaches since, hmmm can't ever remember since when so sitting here quietly might be just what I need..

will gab after!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8471491

we had, according to Carol, 20 to 25 cm of snow, and it was the heavy wet stuff (like you'd want for snowballs and snowmen!). Great for playing in, but not for clearing and walking!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 4, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8471555

It will soon be over Susan, then we'll all be complaining about the heat NOT.. Condolences going to you and your family!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8471768

Carol how did your afternoon go? and Bailey is he doing better now?
Susan I get the knee thing! sorry you are on crutches and look after that knee as getting it strong after you injure it is important so you don't have to do what I did.

Betty, get that head fixed!
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2011
2:36 PM

Post #8471789

Ann we had a pleasant afternoon although one attendee almost got stuck in the snowy ruts!

Bailey is doing well, mouth looks nicely healed but butt stitches still bother him- he tends to walk very quickly with tail and butt slightly lowered ( imagine a human walking while holding butt cheeks tightly together!) and then suddenly sits! But his bowels are working OK. Will start to shift to dry food and decrease the pumpkin and broth.

Susan hope the knee is better soon.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8471871

Edm Ann - you mean knee surgery?
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8472393

Ha Ha!!! Almost stuck...I was stuck. The snow melted enough by the time I left that I was able to get out without shoveling
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 4, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8472635

Carol, good description, I can see Bailey doing just what you described. I can't even imagine having stitches there...I'd be walking funny too.
Oh it was JoannaB who almost got stuck, I thought a truck was the usual mode of transport! Good job you had some good company while you waited for the snow to melt.
Susan, yep, I meant surgery, hope yours is an easier fix.
Alberta Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 4, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8472686

oh geeze Carol - sorry - didn't see your post.
LOL picturing Bailey walking that way lol I can imagine that the stitches are fretful and itchy - maybe that's why he walks so funny lol

AB Ann - of course my knee is Nothing compared to what you went through (for much longer, too!)
Almost feel embarrassed mentioning my knee when others have had so much worse!!
My aunt Ethel f'instance broke her arm, and my aunt Jean passed away on Saturday so her family is really suffering. They had to make the decision to let her "go" and that must have been difficult, to say the least. Not to mention my mom who has had yet another sister she's lost...

Yup - my knee will be, at most a 2 week heal, and that's nothing

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2011
4:03 AM

Post #8472931

Lots happening, condolences to those who has lost familt members, and best wishes to to all of us with aches and pains and boo boos either in and of ourselves, or, with our furry friends ..

Made it through the snowstorm yesterday ... snow is melting now, messy fer sure ..

Off to brekkie and then to have INCOME TAX down and outta the way !!
After that, I pick up the plant stand ^_^

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 5, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8473265

Morning, ok you gals, who is the one that has sent me the snow, coming down heavily, almost like popcorn..yuk..oh well, told you all to take it with a smile that it might be the last fall of snow so must do the same.

Made an appt. once again, 3rd time at the vision center on lunch hour..don't see a difference between top of glasses and bifocal part..maybe nothing wrong with glasses just me..frustrating to say the least..

I'm with you Susan, so many are going through difficult times that you hate to complain. Sorry to hear you are going through so much!!!

Ann was over last night, Mike will have to go into Palative care any day now, he'd failing rather quickly...63, much too young to die isn't it, especially when I'm the same age, drats that's young but then Roger was 47 and that really was young..good Lord has a plan, keep telling myself that.

Busy here this morning so off I go, read all your posts and will respond the minute I have a few seconds...

Enjoy your day

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2011
7:04 AM

Post #8473274

Ann JoannaB did have a truck- and she had to leave it parked with the rear half way out into the street! Drivers were probably cursing that crazy driver as they went by! LOL!
I had to shovel a big pile of snow away from the front and side of the car to get it out yesterday- parked out back until the street clears- walking thru the lake instead.

It is melting slowly - glad the temps are not any higher . I still have an enormous bank of snow in the back half of my veggie garden - it is the south side with a garage across the fence so does not get much snow in the winter, is always the last area to thaw.

And my 'blue box' by the fence in the parking pad is frozen in place - no sun in that spot! So it is full but I cant put it out! Might have to move stuff to the neighbors!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8473499

Susan, it's a pain in the butt to be on Crutches no matter how you got there, I'm sure Lorna can attest to that big time. Pleased to hear it's a fairly small injury.
Betty, Ann and Mike are still in my T's and P's. Did your Head get any better?
Carol , I bet your neighbors won't mind sharing for a bit, tough to use a blue box when it's frozen in.

I have been parking out front for the past week as the ally is a nightmare. Ruts so deep you could swim in them.
The water has been flowing much better and we are to be in double digits at the end of the week!
Had the min/max thermometer in the G house and it has only gone 1 degree below freezing and up to 85 in the day time. Hmmmmm almost time to move the "stuff" out of the house.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8474235

Poppin in before supper ..
Ann .. (and Susan) .. crutches are something you NEED, but HATE to use .. Lorna uses them off and on only, she prefers the rollator walker .. wish you both speedy recoveries ..

Betty .. guess maybe I sent the SNOWPOPCORN your way LoL .. we had it yesterday, it's trying to melt today .. but .. like Calgary .. we have RUTS !!! Jimongus ones in the driveway .. ishy !!

Got the taxes done .. YAHOO .. and .. the plant ladder is put together, an IKEA nightmare, but, Lorna made short work of it .. will post a pic once I get the African violets onto it .. they sure are in sad shape, will be so nice to see them blooming again ...

HUGE news in the WESTIE dept ^_^
Jo-Anne (my bud who found me the plant ladder on Kijiji) saw an add from a couple wanting a home for a 16 week old female Westie .. they were moving and the pup cannot go with. Jo called me, I looked, and I emailed and .. hang on .. remember the female Westie I was going to get from west of TBay in March, but, I thought better of it? THIS pup is from THAT litter .. would be Lilly's niece ^_^
Have emailed back and forth .. sent pics .. and OH MY, is she a sweetheart .. named 'KELTIE' ..
So far the couple is not 100% sure they may not be able to take her with them .. but .. if they can't .. we are FIRST on the list !!!!
Kinda exciting huh ?

Buzzers are ringing .. spaghetti is ready

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 5, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8474299

It's sunshine city here, bight winds though and cold..tomorrow rain/snow mix, we can handle that right knowing it might be the last?

"M" it is indeed exciting, 3 doggies, you'll have your hands full for sure!have spaghetti I'm the freezer, you are making me hungry..should take it out, if not for tonight's din din then for tomorrow

Alberta Ann, Ann usually co es over on Tuesday evenings, not sure she'll be able to make it tonight but will tell her of your prayers...certainly needed. She was taking Mike to the doctor's this afternoon so they may have put him in palliative care. As for my head, still the same! Surely it's a bit early for you to set things outside already!

Carol, you just have to be so careful walking with ruts, wouldn't take much to lose you footing

Pine trees across the street are almost bending in half, that ought to dry any ground water sitting in yards..

I sympathize with you all, out roads are heaving, so etimes you feel as though. Your car is airborn.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 5, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8474768

Betty - no more ruts in Calgary!! The snow is leaving really quickly - we have temps of 10c now (well, it's gone down to 6c cuz it's after 7pm) and we're going to get double digits again this weekend.
Reportedly it will continue to get warmer and they're predicting an early spring ('bout time!! - we have a tremendously late one last year!)
I hate to wear rosy-coloured glasses, but I may be able to this Spring! (hope, hope...)

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 5, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8474840

Omg, Sunday when I got back from buffalo it was painkillers and right to bed ..just around 4:30pm. Then last night much the same, 6pm..tonight never even thought of listening to voice mail, well, a few minutes ago Barrie hospital called,said they had an urgent request from mu dr's appointment for MRI, guess what, I go late tomorrow night..talk about fast..excited as can be!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 5, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8475012

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! So glad you don't have to wait until July! A month worth of these terrible headaches is just plain Wrong! Obviously we'll be waiting for the results right along with you. Hope they won't keep you waiting many days for them.
Good to have talked to you tonight, Betty - you always brighten my days. Glad I caught you before you were asleep lol
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 5, 2011
8:12 PM

Post #8475051

I have an ankle deep lake at the back gate/patio - not sure how quickly it will disappear with that huge snow drift melting 20 feet away. But the blue box unfroze just in time to put out for collection tomorrow. The flower bed on the south side of the house is pretty well clear and tulips and daffs and the rhubarb are showing nicely!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 5, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8475063

Lots of Calgary lakes, Carol - hope it's far enough away from your house so you don't have any threat of flooding your basement.
Did you hear the latest - it's not worth it for insurance to cover pot hole damage, unless it almost totals your car, because the deductible for it is going way up, and it will increase your premiums by quite a lot too. And with all the freeze/melt, it's pot hole heaven in Calgary - lots of heaving.
Almost makes me want Spring to hold off a mite...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8475414

SPRING=SKUNKS=STINKY !! The whole houe was a buzz last night at about 2am .. a skunk got into the dogs enclosure, and, for whatever reason, paraded himslef up onto the patio, right under the bedroom windows, and .. yup .. 'let er rip' .. now .. many of you may not know that I have no sense of smell or taste .. lost it about 8-10 years ago following a very very bad case of bronchitis .. so .. I was sleeping away when the kaffufle ensued, dogs barking, windows sliding shut .. cussin LoL .. so .. with the advent of skunks .. we herald the advent of SPRING, and, a very keen LOOK OUT before letting the dogs out after dark !!!

Betty .. what WONDERFUL news re the MRI ..

Susan .. potholes are outrageous here as well .. especially if they are filled with water and DISGUISED as an insignificant small depression in the road. You drive over it and BANG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to town .. Lorna has blood work .. Smokey needs food and litter ..

Take care all

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2011
7:13 AM

Post #8475717

Morning..

Had white stuff last night but it's already melted..not seeing any major flooding in my neck of the woods but I guess you all had much more snow than we did and the melting was so gradual that it hasn't had any impact..thank goodness! Nothing worse than a flooded basement..

Carol, bet those raised planter beds are lovely in the summer..are they used primarily for flowers or for vegetables?

Our roads are terrible state, not so much pot holes but the heaving..this morning I stopped at my brothers and asked in my snow tires would make a loud humming noise now that pavement is dry..he said yes, could be other things wrong with vehicle but he'd start there so have the number of the tire company who put 4 snowtires on my vehicle in December to find out if I can come in on the weekend to have them put on..sure hope that's all it is..

Don't you love it when a zillion things need fixing all at once?

"M" we also have skunks patrolling the neighborhood..always open the door and smell before letting the furries out in the morning.

Susan, hope you have a pain free day today..don't overdo it with the knee and I enjoyed gabbing with you last night!

Did you ever see anyone so excited and upbeat about getting an MRI, you'd think I'd won the lottery.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2011
1:04 PM

Post #8476300

Well the lake is just a pond this morning but there has not been much melt today, seems a touch cool.

Betty those are primarily for veggies but I grow clematis on the lattice at the ends and I often add things like Marigolds and nastursium within the veggies. Plus all around the outside are low ( 1 board high!) flower beds and a little shady sitting area in the corner. (See pic)

Always potholes in Calgary because of the constant temperature changes caused by chinooks. A never ending battle I guess.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2011
1:06 PM

Post #8476305

Here's the other direction early in summer.
I forgot there are also Iris in front of the clematis .
The fencing is because Fancy used to help herself.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8476329

Oh wow, that photo with all the greenery is awesome..do you find you've a better crop grown that way?? Would make it much eaier for growing wouldn't it?
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8476441

No just easier than getting down on my aging knees- although sometimes my aging back protests about leaning over! Soon I will get a 'stroller' which I can wheel between the beds and sit as I garden!

The ground does warm up a bit earlier in the spring. And I dont have to dig the dirt - just stir up the surface a bit.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8476608

Guess Betty is busy getting MRI'd .. hope she left any jewellery at home ..

Raised beds are my goal 'one day' .. so much easier to plant and pick .. I've seen those 'garden creepers Carol .. handy fer sure .. Lorna uses a rollator walker .. maybe it'll work for gardening .. just have to watch out for the tires.

Feeling kind of 'off' today .. sure hope it's not flu .. but my diagnoses is TOO MUCH TYLENOL .. been taking it almost every 6 hours, sometimes more often for these dang achy shoulders ...

Coronation Street is upcoming, my ONLY indulgence ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 6, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8476723

"M" I decided to come home after work as I couldn't see me trying to put in 5 hrs roaming around Barrie! Was glad Kyle came over to see grandma, kept me from falling asleep, now it's hot chocolate and toast, watch a tv show then 45 minute ride back to Barrie!

They told me to take something if I thought I might get claustrophobic,
Not sure I will, but they didn't tell me what to take or bring with me should I get the panicky, told me to bring along a cd..think somewhere I have one that has relaxing sounds on it but where I would find it who knows.

Can't believe how the temperature has dropped, freezing in here, either that or I'm tired and feel the cold..either way up goes the furnace.

Carol, the do have those gardening benches on wheels that might fit the bill, perhaps the aisle aren't wide enough though.

"M". Sure hope it's not the flu, off for hot bath then off to bed..
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 6, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8477265

Betty by now your MRI should be over. Yeah... that means help for your head will be on it's way.
Carol your garden will look outstanding before you know it, it always does!
We too are finally getting some green to show and the s--w is going away.
Birdies are sounding like fun now so spring must be coming.
Alberta Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8477675

OK .. I'm confused (my regular address) .. did you have the MRI Betty?
Anything to sedate you would have had to be ordered by your doc .. either valium or ativan are the usuals .. would have to KNOCK me out completley, I get quite 'pitter pattery' in confined spaces .. when that HUGE power outage hit Toronto in ?2004? .. all I could think of was the people stuck in elevators ... IN THE DARK !!!!!!!!!!!

I still feel cruddy 50% of the time .. hoping it will simply pass ..

WAS going to bake today, but, i forgot to buy FLOUR when I went shopping .. so I guess laundry will have to suffice ..

Stay well all

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8478271

Well .. i have the flour and will be making the dough for a few pies .. I have a question for you (put it on the Recipe Forum as well)
I will have fresh pie dough, and want to use FROZEN apples in the filling .. am unsure how to accomplish this without turning out a soggy mess. I have baked the last of my totally frozen pies (crusts and apples) .. am now done to the bags of cut apples ..

I see some people THAW the apples, and some, NO ...

Thoughts??

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8478465

Flying over later today. I'll wave to you Calgarians as I go.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 7, 2011
12:00 PM

Post #8478572

Wondered last night how people afford to go to the hospital for tests when they charge so much for parking..I wasn't there long and I think it was $12.00..yikes..most people don't get that much for an hour's wage!!!

Had left early and got to my floor, woman was waiting for her husband to come out, we chatted and it was my turn.

With not having a problem with being in small places/underground,closets/elevators etc. I did not feel I'd have a problem...hear horror stories about people having difficulties but I wouldn't be one of them, nope not me..

The young woman came out introduced herself, said she was the lady who called me and were glad they finally got a hold of me; I said I had been away and that I thought I'd not get in until June/July..she told me yes that's exactly when they are booking MRI's but the nurse who reviews all in incoming paperwork saw the doctor's concern and booked me in immediately...

So now I've picked zen music-relaxation to birds and waves..just know I'm going to fall asleep as I'm tired so piece of cake..

I'm told I can keep my velvet jacket on, she taped the zipper so there wouldn't be a problem, said it was cold in the room and didn't want me to have a chill..Lordy she was talking to me like I was 100 and fragile as can be..took my arm and led me to the MRI table. I've had a catscan and no problem so looked at the machine without concern..

No sooner got on the table she said let me put a warm blanket on you..the blanket was soooo hot, I was toasty as can be..sure I'm going to be nice and cozy, might even fall asleep..

Ok, she had me all tucked in, sides tucked under me, right up to my neck..then the headset put on, still ok, then came a towel to cover my eyes and was slightly over my nose..hardly any breathing area left..now I was starting to feel like a rapped mummy..

Here comes the earphones, cramped on my ears and into head rest..yikes, not liking this and now comes the plastic shielf which is like a helmet covering..NOW I AM PANICKING BIG TIME...

NOT even in the MRI unit yet..omg..get me out of here..

So she encourages me to breathe deeply, give it a few seconds, no, I want out, trying to get off the table but she tells me how how I am, breathe deeply and wait a second.

Now what..

Told her I'd take off my jacket, no blanket, no cover over my eyes, I'd simply keep my eyes closed..ask her to tell me exactly what she'll be doing i.e. time wise and started to breathe...

Time to be put in the tube, too much restraint for me..kept telling myself to breath, listen to the birdies chirp, hear that water fall, deep breathing..ok got first photo done, 2nd one is now 3 1/2 minutes, breath, relax, you can do it Betty but now I know I'm starting to panic again..
kept trying to talk myself out of it, not an easy thing to do at al..now she tells me the next one is for 4 1/2 minutes...oh/oh...one doesn't realize just how long 4 1/2 minutes is...long/long/long time..and my bra eyehooks in the back were diffing into me, need to move, no can do...drats (said something worse than that to myself) finally she said one more, only 1 3/4 minutes and if all went ok I'd be out of there..that's good news, told me I'd be shaken up a bit so tried to focus on where the bumps and jives were coming from,wondering if the birdies were ok or if they fell in the water falls (cd relaxation sounds) and she says 'that's a wrap' and ask me if I wasn't happy getting out of there

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 2:02 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 7, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8478584

Oooh, saw you wave ViolaAnn..enjoy your trip!

"M" I let thaw and drain the juice otherwise yes, soggy pie crust..

Drats..did you ever have a month where everyone wants your money..

Got the glasses and after paying over $500 can't see a (*&^ thing out of them! Then ordered new tired, go next Saturday for them..then if that didn't take up my allowance, the gentleman from the canvas shop called to say he worked real hard to get my travel trailer top/changes in design done and it's ready $1,000.

guess who will be staying home this weekend..anybody got any soup bones?
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8478595

Betty, I empathize with you!! My Radiation was with my head in a plastic face mask and it was bolted to a table , I had hand signals for the help sign cause they watch you on a monitor. You really need to go to a happy place and stay there! Isn't the breathing thing important.
It's over now and you can tell the stories. Now you just need to have a diagnosis that will fix your head.

Hi V Ann

Marilynne, I always froze my apples in the same pan as the pie was going in then when I needed them , would make the pie crust and plop the frozen apples with some tapioca in the pie plate on top of the crust and top it. So my vote is for frozen!
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8478646

DAWG Betty !!! .. I'm most certainly NOT going to having an MRI, unless I'm passed out/unconscious!!
Lorna had all kinds with her leg, but she never really had to have her head covered.
Glad it's over for you ...

Can hardly wait to go to bed ..

I waved at ViAnn ... :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 7, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8478696

Sorry you are not feeling well "M"..think you are fighting it, off to bed and tomorrow you'll feel much better for it...

Sorry Annabell, now that I've done this I know you are a better person than I..no way hosey could I do that..drats..couldn't they put you out??? has to be a better way!

Mom just called, she's scheduled to have her knee done a week Monday, been losing weight like crazy..she doesn't think she's up to it so I told her if that's her train of thought she'd best cancel...

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8478734

Not quite overhead yet - just at Ottawa airport. Will wave though! :-)
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8479093

This is what one bored restless and house bound senior did today...pictures in my parlour.JOY

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8479098

Now my Anthurium

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8479104

A new version of that old houseplant...Crown Of Thorns

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2011
4:58 PM

Post #8479116

My newest gift orchid

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8479147

These are out near my front door.Too cold to go much farther!!

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8479148

Joy
Beautiful photo's I bet its a super spot to sit.
Betty, not any better than the rest of you, you do what you gotta do.

We have melting water here and the ally is finally out of ruts, Carol how is Calgary?
Our front street can almost have 3 cars abreast, two parked and one go down the middle. I'm not sure where the common sense went this winter some ding dongs parked so no one could get through the middle!

Just met the new owner across the street, nice young woman who is fixing up the house with help from her parents. She is looking forward to gardening come spring so I was able to tell her about the yard and garden. I'm very pleased that it won't be rented out as we are close enough to the U of A that we sometimes get "frat" type of houses. Not this time.
Off to tend my seedlings and hopefully get one more light up when my DH comes home.
Ann

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 7, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8479222

YIKES Betty - that sounds really nasty, all that covering up and stuff for your MRI!
Did they happen to give you a time when the Dr would get back to you with the results?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 7, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8479234

Alberta Ann - you've had MRIs on your knee? Well, I don't guess they're much fun either!

The snow on the streets is mostly gone, but I hear some back lanes are pretty treacherous yet! A friend of mine (in her 80's) just got out of hospital, and she's walking/driving the front streets, but won't drive in the back lanes because they're so bad.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 7, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8479372

I've had a couple of MRIs-abdominal .Noisy! My technique is to listen to the noises the machine makes and try to work out the repeat pattern. Sorry it was so tough for you Betty- hope the results are worth it!

Ann in my part of town the streets and lanes are in pretty good shape although east-west streets still have a lot of snow on the south side where it is pretty shady.
My pond has disappeared. PArking the car out back now. Still lots of snow in theback of the veggie garden.

Supposed to be pretty warm and sunny the weekend- that will probably take care of the rest of the snow.

This weekend is the CHS garden show-their biggest fundraiser and very popular no matter the weather- held at Spruce Meadows. On Sat I am working at the Lougheed House booth - in full costume. Sunday afternoon I work the membership booth.

I guess I will miss the curling finals! Another win for Canada this morning.

Bailey goes to the vet tomorrow afternoon to get his bum stitches out. Guess that will feel better.

I have the slow cooker going- hamburger soup and tomorrow the makings for a new try- sweet and sour beef .

Tulips,daffs,hyacinths and other little bulbs showing up from under the snow in the south house bed.Rhubarb too,

Thumbnail by fancyvan

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8480012

Joy .. what absolutely GORGEOUS plants !!! Not being facetious, but, what a JOY to look at ^_^

I guess Thunder Bay is the same road wise right now, altho I think out travelled routes are dry, personal or home driveways are a bit ishy in places as the 'spring heaves' have started .. frost coming out tends to push up .. if you have lockstone you simply pray it'll all flatten out in the long run !

Carol .. I am sure Bailey will feel SO much better minus the sutures .. a happier boy for sure .. good luck with the CHS ..

Betty, I am still feeling badly for you .. what an experience, I also keep thinking about what Alberta Ann must have had to endure with that plastic face mask on .. you both should have GOLD STARS. I'm sure you remember me writing about my 'dental panic attack' .. that was a year ago and I still have recurring dreams about that feeling of not being able to breathe .. AND .. not being able to talk myself out of it !!!!

Alberst Ann .. I bet your nnew neighbour will quick become a friend ^_^
She sounds like a nice person.

Still feeling a bit nauseous, but, better than yesterday .. have plans to head out shopping this morning, so, I best suck it up.

TGIF!!! Enjoy your weekend

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 8, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8480014

Time to leave for work..yikes best I start getting back into regular routines I have more time

Jo, I've so enjoyed your photo's

What a way to start my morning

Be back when. Get to work..time to chat then
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 8, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8481260

Went for my first walk of the year.The cold wind has gone down at last.I went over to the Delta and had my hair don and a manicure.It sure felt good to get out in the sun.I used my new Cadillac walker.I'm going to a birthday party at the Crowne Plaza tomorrow.A brother and sister.. both at or near 80 who celebrate their birthday on the same date.They are a year apart.It will be nice to see old friends at a party.We usually ust see each other at Funerals JOY

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 8, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8481261

Everyone must have had busy days ... I did .. glad the day is done, as is supper and the dishes etc.
Early to bed again for me, this bug/flu I have had seems to respond to a lengthy nights rest .. I would say SLEEP but, I am not really to keen on that these days .. I am in bed, and I am resting with intermittent interludes of somnolence.

ViAnn ... hope you made it to BC with no delays and are currently kissing your most sweet granddaughter Leila .. she is such a dear heart ^_^

Betty .. how are the headaches today .. and Susan and Alberta Ann .. your knees are ??

Good luck at the Hortie show this weekend Carol .. enjoy ..

Off to bed with me

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 8, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8481422

Busy day at work, sure was glad to see 3pm!

Picked up my little travel trailer..Dave did a wonderful job on the top..I'm going to be so comfy if I do go somewhere lol

Got home and it was still gorgeous outside so raked another garden, felt like I could rake all night but decided to not think I could do all the gardens at once..know I'll have less aches and pains tomorrow

So hoping I can get the pond up and running tomorrow..

M. Sorry you are not feeling the best..from what I hear it takes some time before it leaves your system..let's hope you rest well tonight.

Joy, no truer words said, was talking to my cousin yesterday, called him for his birthday, we vowed We would get together before the next funeral...isn't it something having your birthday same day as a sibling and not being a twin! Good luck with the caddy...

Perhaps if we get the weather they are calling for this weekend I might also go for a walk or a bike ride on the trail..understand no snow left..with it being paved no chance of rough terrain.

Time to call it a night!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8481963

~M~ - hope you're feeling better tomorrow after a GOOD night's rest.

My knees almost back to it's normal (what's normal again?) self, so I'm off crutches. Hardly seems worthwhile to have mentioned I was on them from Sunday to Friday, right? LOL not even a week, for pete's sakes.

Carol - sounds like you're really getting around and back to yourself again. So glad to hear it.

Betty - guess you're taking the travel trailer to the RU?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2011
9:54 PM

Post #8481964

We had a good flight. Actually flew farther north of Calgary than usual but also had a smoother flight over the rockies than usual. Good views of the mountains as it was still daylight.

Went along to Leila's gymnastics class this morning. Did a bit of shopping with her. Home for the afternoon nap with her while her mom went out for a haircut and colour. Dinner this evening with DH's almost 93 yr-old aunt and her daughter. Home to call other DD's family in Ottawa on the occasion of DGTwins' 9th birthday. Can\t believe I've been a grandma for 9 years.

Leila has just awakened and sounds a bit distressed. Better send this.

ViAnn

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 8, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8481970

glad your trip was good, ViAnn. 93, eh? That's a terrific age - my mom will be 92 May 2nd.
9 years? I've been a grandma for 14 lol

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2011
7:30 AM

Post #8482490

Have flown over, and driven through the Rockies, but, the BEST ever was a trip (or 2) on the train sitting in the 'dome car' .. even though I SO remember the horrid smell of cigarette smoke ..
Glad you made it to BC with no problem ViAnn.

I've been a Gramma for 12 .. 13 in July .. course, I was a CHILD BRIDE LoL

Finally took the picks of the plant ladder I purchased off my camera .. will attach a pic . as well in the pic, is that kids 'toy box' I purchased so the dogs can look out the east window, and I can use it for storage .. works very well :-)

Dreary day here .. the yard is 'fluxing' through that extremely MESSY time of year .. lotsa goofy stuff appearing as the snow melts ..

Enjoy your day .. too early for camping as of yet Betty ^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 9, 2011
10:31 AM

Post #8482941

My son was a father at 18 (gf was 17) and now he's in his 30's! He was my 2nd born and my daughter isn't having any children (doesn't want to take the chance of having one like her brother lol )
Unfortunately I never get to see my grandson.

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
2:46 PM

Post #8483358

Oh Susan, I'm so sorry you are denied the joy of seeing your grandson. That is heartbreaking.

Leila was OK last night after we filled her water bottle. She's a sketch. Was looking at pictures in the latest National Geographic and telling us big long stories about them. On the inside back cover of the NG there's an ad about cutting heating costs and a picture of a house with dotted lines around it and a pair of scissors. She saw that and went running for the scissors and was quite distressed when her dad told her no!

To the park this morning while her parents had an appointment. DD is expecting another around Sept. 1 and they are in an allergy study following both of them and baby-to-be. We've had several stretches of babysitting which is OK because this visit is short. On Tuesday morning they head to Mexico and we fly out a couple of hours later to San Francisco where we'll have 3 nights in CA before flying home on Friday.
DH has uncle on his father's side living in Grass Valley who will be 97 shortly. We'll visit with him and his 3 sons and family.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8483387

Evening...spent the day outside, wow 61F.. Can you believe I'm actually hoping it will rain tomorrow so I don't work out like I did today! Was so nice feeling the sun while doing a few of the major gardens! Finally I'm hearing the sound of the water feature...comes at a price though. Emptying it I'm thinking "and how many years do you think you can do this?". And here I'm thinking of adding a secondary pond, sure do have to put more thought into that plan.

Perfect day, everyone out, Greg and Melanie came over, fixed my water hose,put gel seat on my new bike and put some of my belongings on his truck taking advantage of his trip to the dump.

So here I is, ready for bed, a headache pill to take the edge off and ready to call it a night!

"m" sure hope that photo you took is from a few weeks ago and not today..don't like the look of the snow. Love the plant stand..

vi-Ann enjoy your time with Leila, you make frequent trips but still you must see such a difference each time you visit...happy birthday to the twins...would love to see the Rockies before I leave this earth

Susan how tragic for you not to see your grandson..you'd be such an asset in his life

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8483391

Still think you should invite me along ViAnn..I could be the maid..you'd want for nothing...do they know the gender of the baby? Imagine you'll try your best to be there for the birth

Enjoy San Francisco!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 9, 2011
3:20 PM

Post #8483402

Sometimes we wonder,
'What did I do to deserve this?' or
'Why did God have to do this to me?'
Here is a wonderful explanation!
A daughter is telling her Mother how everything
is going wrong, she's failing algebra, her boyfriend
broke up with her and her best friend is moving away.
Meanwhile, her Mother is baking a cake and
asks her daughter if she would like a snack, and the
daughter says, 'Absolutely Mom, I love your cake.'
'Here, have some cooking oil,' her Mother offers.
'Yuck' says her daughter.
'How about a couple raw eggs?' 'Gross, Mom!'
'Would you like some flour then?
Or maybe baking soda?'
'Mom, those are all yucky!'
To which the mother replies:
'Yes, all those things seem bad all by themselves.
But when they are put together in the
right way, they make a wonderfully delicious cake! '
God works the same way. Many times we wonder why
He would let us go through such bad and difficult
times. But God knows that when He puts these things
all in His order, they always work for good! We just
have to trust Him and, eventually, they will all
make something wonderful!
God is crazy about you.
He sends you flowers every spring and
a sunrise every morning.
Whenever you want to talk, He'll listen.
He can live anywhere in the universe,
and He chose your heart.
If you like this, send this on
to the people you really care about.
Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are
here we might as well dance!

This message was edited Apr 9, 2011 5:22 PM
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 9, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8484097

Betty Good analogy.
Susan, I'm sorry to hear that you don't get to see your grandchild I can't even imagine that loss.
Carol, Hope you are now resting and getting ready for tomorrow's big day.
M, nice plant stand and it looks like it will be perfect for that window.
Viola A, Soon you will have two and after naming a Hosta after Leila you will have to develop another for the new babe. Enjoy San Francisco , my favorite spot to eat is the Cliff House, it's on the west side and hangs over the ocean and when the sun is out you sit by the window and eat watching the waves crash below you and the seals on Seal rock, cavorting and playing. Have fun.
Joy now that you can get out more easily don't forget your camera, you never know what you might see! Have fun at the party.
My knee is getting way better and the surgeon is pleased with the healing, working on the Physio need to be able to bend enough for gardening. Off the crutches too.
The snow is leaving like crazy and I'm seeing all the leaves that I forgot to clean up and it sure looks dirty these days. My GH temp last night was 38 F so soon I will be able to move the little ones out and give them a better environment for growing.
Bye for now
Ann

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 9, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8484115

Betty - we'll likely come out here in August when Aunt Alma celebrates her 95th. We had thought we might go to Portland where she lives but it's too close to due date and Aunt Esther here in Vancouver won't travel that far.

Would like to be here when #2 arrives, but they will have no guest room after we leave this time. Since that means a B&B, we likely won't come until AFTER the birth but hope it's not too late (Leila was nearly 2 weeks late). We DO have travel plans to Germany a bit before Thanksgiving in October.

This trip the only time we will spend in SF is at the airport. Are renting a car and heading east immediately. Will spend one night in Sutter Creek, one in Grass Valley and one near Davis.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 10, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8484422

Morning all, read all your posts and will be back shortly to respond..

After to 62F we had yersterday thet called for rain moving in during the night, but no rain as yet although heavy sky so think I will grab this opportunity to pick up the piles of leaves I didn't get to last night

Be back on a break
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8484603

Yesterday I got all dressed for the party and called a taxi.When DIL saw me she said she thought the party was on the 10th.I checked my invitation and she was right.I must be getting old.As I was "all dressed up and no place to go" I decided to go over to my favorite dress shop.I had quite a shopping spree.An Alpaca coat 75% off.a dress and jacket,a suit with a skirt,and a quilted jacket. I haven't worn skirts much since I stopped working.Today the sun is shining..I'll be off to the party this afternoon hopefully accompanied by my son.JOY.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2011
6:57 AM

Post #8484721

Yesterday at the Garden Show was pretty busy. Sun was shinning alhough it was not partricularly warm. I worked a 2 1/2 hour shift at Loudheed House booth, all dressed up, which attracted lots of attention. I think the other volunteers who work that weekend should be dressed too athough that might be abit of a problem since all the interpretors have their own costumes. Quite a number of old friends and aquaintances stopped to speak after a quick take to realise it was me!

Wandered around afterwards thru the show but this year did not see much I want to spend money on; Amazon Iron had their usually plant support items but I forgot to check what I want to get so have to go out to the shed this morning and do a count!
MOst of the type I like are now available locally but they are thin, plastic covered items and I pefer to buy the heavier iron supports ( which will nicely rust) and support a local industry.
I bought these spiral last year to try for peony supports but was not really thrilled with them- prefer my usual solution with grids and flop bars.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 10, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8484917

Carole, those spirals would look nice just set in the garden as yard art!
You put in quite the day, bet it feels good to be back at Lougheed House..

Omg Joy, that's just too funny! Just think how much fun it is you getting to play dress up 2 days in a row..

Raining heavy here, thundering like crazy, poor Sailor is fretting, she can't seem to just sit...panting and slobbering..after the high temps of yesterday its back on with the furnace to take the chill off

On the sewing forum I joined just after Christmas a winter/Christmas quilt block swap, sounded good at the time lol..been sewing for a few hours and just got the first one done ..15 I believe left to do...better pick up speed

Being chilled I decided to make chicken noodle soup, time to debone the breast..so much easier going after it's cooked
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2011
3:14 PM

Post #8485610

Well I got the dressed up again...this time in one of my new outfits.The people at the party were nearly all from the legal profession or the government...nearly all dressed in black.A lot of the people I expected to see weren't there but some were and I had a nice time.I was glad my son was with me. One friend passed out and had to go to the hospital by ambulance.There were several doctors there and they sprang into action.
More later I have to go to supper JOY

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8485682

Alberta Ann - so glad to hear your knee is getting better!! (I almost felt like your twin, but it's taken awhile longer for you - can't imagine how you did it for so long - you're a strong lady, girl!!)

Carol - are you saying those swirly supports are plastic covered thin metal? I agree with you - iron rusts so nicely and looks so "antiqued". I have some decorative iron with butterflies and dragonflies and they look really good rusted with the sun shining through the marble balls...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2011

Post #8485769

No those swirley supports are iron- bought them last year from Amazon Ironworks ( a local business) But you can ge a lot of similar supports like the flop bars for instance in thin plastic coveed metal. They are cheaper and are fine but I think they come from U.K. and I prefer to support a local business.I bought some more flop bars today!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 10, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8485780

yes, I agree - support local, small businesses. They need it, and we get items more immediately too! That's one reason I'm not a fan of on-line ordering - I have "kittens" just waiting to see if they're a reputable company and will actually send quality goods. The only time I order things online is from Air Miles - they really outdo themselves with quality merchandise.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 10, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8486424

Well the Garden Show is over for another year. Weather was pretty good, sunny but not overly warm. Dont know what the numbers were like, thought it did not seem too busy this afternoon. I worked at the membership booth- a nice sit down job and got sent home early! Supervisor said not too busy and I was starting to look tired! So I collected my purchases and left and on the way home picked up a new foster dog.

This is Heather who is probably going to be renamed Sassy. She is 11 years old and most likely has cancer - a big tumor on her throat .This is rather new and not the reason for surrender and the owner after we got this information from the vet ( we organised and paid for the evalution) was just going to take her home and look after her until she died. We did not want her to go back to what we felt was a not so good physical situation and offered to take her anyway and I would foster her until she had to be put down and the owner agreed. I will get another vet visit and we will get x-rays or ultrasounds of the tumor and see what if anything is to be done. Surgery is probably not an option for a variety of reasons.

She seems a nice girl, friendly , my dogs so far OK with her. Mine apparently is her 3rd home so far as I can tell. Her coat has been clipped short so it looks a bit odd. She has a bit of a sway back although it might just be the way her coat has been clipped short so she looks like she has a large butt instead!

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 8:00 PM

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 11, 2011
2:52 AM

Post #8486739

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/04/10/Bettypauze/b6ace6.jpg

Not sure if I'm doing this correctly on the iPad..wanted to show you one of my rusted pieces, have about 12 ...most have been manufactured by a gentleman that lives in the region

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 11, 2011
3:30 AM

Post #8486763

Morning, quite the night weather wise last night, issued a tornado watch late evening..wicked storm..poor Sailor, she just could not settled down nor could I, kitties were still outside so about every ten minutes I was out calling..finally about 2 Missy came in, I fell asleep and it wasn't till 5 am that Riley was at the door begging to come in..

Apparently the weather will be stormy all day so doesn't make for a nice Monday, but I'll take it as I'm sure with this rain and a bit of sunshine we will see Mother Nature doing wonders in the garden.

Joy, glad you enjoyed your outing! Bet you looked terrific all snazzied up and felling like a queen with son in hand! Omg that poor woman, she couldn't have picked a better time than at the function seeing there were doctors all around!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 11, 2011
3:38 AM

Post #8486773

Meant to add Heather/Sassy is blessed that she will get to spend her last days with you..your dogs accepting her means they know she needs tender love and care!

Susan, don't you be rushing doing all you should be doing, give that knee a break.

Yikes, another after shock in Japan, one month since the 1st. alert for tsunami..luckily didn't happen but can't imagine how those poor folks felt not knowing the outcome..

Better get a move on, head pounding so cannot run around the house like I normally do! Lol
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 11, 2011
8:13 AM

Post #8487424

Well girls to continue my story.I really felt I should have worn my black good dress.I might have dressed in the newest style but ...The person who passed out war a man.Our sons played together and started school together.I hope he just fainted.It was very warm.I came home to find that my DIL had cleaned up the front flowerbeds.I was so pleased.The crocuses are blooming and tulips and daffodils are up so I really wanted things cleared away.We had a nice chicken barbecue at dinnertime.I'm exhausted today.GD took a picture of me in my glad rags...I was shocked at how much I look like my mother did at my age.It may have been .the print dress or the lbs. I've put on this winter.JOY

annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8487713

Carol, I know that Sassy will have a good home as long as she needs it. Please tell her there is nothing wrong with a Big butt, I'm in that club!
Betty photo came through properly. Very nice! You must have had nasty weather with a Tornado warning, yikes!

Joy, you look bright and cheerful in your outfit is this one of your new ones? Isn't it great when you get a hand with the chores! I have found that the older I get the more I look like my Mom too. At first I was kind of put off but the more I think about it I am flattered. I hope you are as well.

We have a bright day here and only a slight breeze so sun is warm. What a lovely change.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 11, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8487910

Still overcast here, but the bulk of the storm is moving east, sorry Joy...I so love seeing people in bright colors, especially love the reds/whites..beautiful outfit..remember purchasing a red dress and all the time I was wearing it I felt like a neon sign, everyone looking at me lol

Off to vision center, called this morning to say I can't see a thing, wearing dollar store glasses instead of the new ones...the had a cancellation at 3:20 so back to see what I can do?

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8488232

Hi folks,

Last day in Vancouver. DGD is in day care so her mom can come and go as they have a 7 am flight to Mexico tomorrow. We fly out a couple of hours later. Today we had breakfast with good friends and a good chat. Had hoped to see another friend but haven't been able to connect but we had lunch at our favourite sushi place downtown. And while we were downtown, checked out the luggage at The Bay which is just inside from the Sky Train station. We do that every visit, but this time I bought myself a new Samsonite suitcase regular $300 for $120. About the same size as my 11 yr-old 24" Samsonite. The old one is approaching 150 flights and is showing it, making me a bit nervous about travelling with it, but up to now I haven't found anything as well appointed on the inside. We'll leave the old one here and take it back to Ottawa next time we are out here.

ViAnn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 11, 2011
2:52 PM

Post #8488284

ViAnn, that's one great bargain, amazing isn't when you get used to one suitcase, know exactly what you are aloud to carry, positioning of each item...good for you! Off trekking to another corner of the world tomorrow..hope weather is nothing but sunshine for you both.

Got off a. 3pm, went back to the vision centre, there was a cancellation with the eye doctor so hurrah, he might be able to tell mle what's wrong, NOT, say a prescription was ok that I got a few weeks ago, checked the positioning of the bifocals..all a. O.k. Isn't the glasses causing the blurr or the headaches.

Manager said he would give me $$$ back but no sense seeing as I need glasses, just have to wait for other tests to come back...sooo no further ahead.

Family coming for supper, should be here shortly so I'd better go check on spaghetti, wouldn't want to burn it...donate been known to do so!

Lordy, wind sure is blowing..hope none of you are getting bad weather...so muggy...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8488353

Up for a minute for some tea .. have been 'flat out' for about 2 days .. feel just crummy .. first food just a bit ago .. Irish I am .. 'tea and toast' .. hoping it'll stay put ..

Love the pics and the news ..

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 11, 2011
5:25 PM

Post #8488573

"M". Thought you were resting...let Lorna and hubby give you some tlc from what I hear it's a flu that stays with you for some time...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 11, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8489035

http://www.thepleatsheet.com/thepleatsheet/about.htm

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 11, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8489073

Carol - poor Heather/Sassy - must be painful having a tumor in your throat.
Why rename her? Do you get any $$ assistance from vets or Rescue group? (I'm sure you must have said, at some point, and I believe the answer was "no", but just confirming). If not, then you couldn't spend your $$ more lovingly for these beautiful animals than you have. kudos to you for all your love and care.
as for the Pleat Sheet - wouldn't having a wider sheet do the same thing - getting a king sized for a queen bed, etc? It sounds like extra work buttoning/unbuttoning it each am/pm.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8489392

Morning all, beautiful sunrise and a sunshine day ahead..just too bad I have to work..

Had a garden angel drop by yesterday while at work, 2 more gardens done, would say that leaves 4 more and spring clean up is done then it's up to mother nature.

With rain and sunshine we've had this past week I can see my lawns are several shades darker..better not get too anxious because because it will mean grass cutting...imagine saying such a thing..

Kids were over last night for dinner, nice visit..then Mel (dil) left to go walking to meet up with a friend after she got a call that her friends dad had just passed away.

I no sooner closed the light s, got in bed that I heard a knock and yelling 'it's me, seems they were out walking and both needed washroom facilities. On their way out I could hear Melanie tell her all about the gardens sooo invited her back once flowers are at their prime for a visit..

Speaking of gardens, last year the rec coordinator wanted to have a community garden show but started much too late..should give them a call to remind them it's now time to start planning..I'll put my gardens in to help support their cause...would mean a lot more work but it would be worth it to share!!

Love the sheet idea ... But seeing there is just me and kitties in bed not a problem with sheet sharing

"M" hope you've had a good nights rest and that you feel back in the land of the living!

Wonder how Jenn made out, if she did relocate..little one must almost be crawling/walking by now?

Best I get a move on
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2011
7:07 AM

Post #8489873

Susan I dont usually rename foster dogs - have done so in past with a lot of thought and then new owner has renamed! But Sassy is anticipated to be a long term foster because of the cancer. And I prefer non human names. I had a short list and soicited some ideas but after she had been hee a few hours I realised she wanted to be called Sassy. And sassy she is! Facially she reminds me a lot of Fancy.

The tumor does not seem to bother her much although I think it is interfering somewhat with her breathing.

We dont take our dogs to vets who dont give us a discount. The ones we use most often give us 30-35% discounts! Makes a huge difference as you can imagine and we dont have a giant bank account.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8489934

Just don't know how you do it, honestly..I'd fall in love with each and everyone of them and wouldn't be able to give them up...your are to be admired!!! Love the dog photo's..must take a few of Sailor so should something happen to her I'll have them..

Did paint a portrait of her, turned out to be exact..I'll take a photo when I get a chance...

It's absolutely gorgeous out there..calling for rain all weekend! Too bad we can't change our work days to fit in good weather days..

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8490036

We're in the lounge at YVR waiting for our flight to San Francisco. TTYL.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2011
8:50 AM

Post #8490106

Wish I was with you!!!
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8490502

Carol she does look sweet, and I like the tip of her ear folded, and her eyes are bright. You definatly have her attention. I know she will be well loved while she is with you. Sheet is interesting.
Viola A I love the way you are able to pop in where ever you are! I can never remember my pass word as I have the easy way in at work and home.
M our snow is now going quickly and soon I will be able to see my beds too.

The Google truck was in our area on the weekend so maybe our street will be updated. Why don't they come when the garden is nice?
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2011
1:17 PM

Post #8490699

So much happening, and, I am happy to report I am on the WAY BACK to being ME .. trying not to push myself too hard, and I gotta admit, it's difficult to watch others do what I usually do .. but.. I did make tonights supper, so, that's a baby step.

My beds are all showing now .. BUT .. cold temps and S N O W are predicted in bits and bats over the next while ..
GEE HOSAFAT did we get HAIL bigtime on Sunday .. no vehicle damage thank heaven .. the 'down pour' lasted 5 minutes or more .. and out mothball sized hail was small compared to the golf ball sized hail perhaps 5 miles north .. quite the scary deal !!! Have a pic. of course ..

Wishing everyone, safe travel (to them that are), continued great recoveries, health and happiness to pets .. and Betty .. shall I ask re your headaches ?

TTFN

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2011
1:18 PM

Post #8490704

DANG me .. forgot the HAIL pic !!!

^_^

~M~

Thumbnail by MarilynneS

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 12, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8490928

"M" glad you are on the mend,,think all of us shared the storm..didn't get the hail but did have tornado watch...cannot believe you are still going to get snow, yikes..can you recall last year when last snow fall was?

As for headaches, still with me, infact had a terrible day, already laying down..called the doctors office and the reception lady, fill in for the regular receptionist checked my file and said results were in and did not see an entry by the doctor that he needed to see me so guess all is okay with the head, so now what do I do? Have you ever felt you'd rather find out something bad than ot knowing why??? You are feeling so terrible and almost bedridden??

bIL Paul (boss) felt sorry for me..his daughter is getting married next week in the islands..Paul and the rest of the family leave Saturday so other than Suzanne it will just be her and I..Paul said that if Suzanne has a opts in other offices for me to work from home...so hope she does one or two days!

Got home tonight and Cathy had been here and must have put in a full day raking and cleaning as every garden is now done! Let the flowers frow, all up to Mother Nature

Ann will be coming over for an hour tonight, t.v. Bingo and heart to heart, really want to get into my jammies but better give her a treat and not!

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8491054

Now there is a term I have not heard for years- Gee hosafat - sure takes me back!

I heard we are supposed to get snow wed. night! Darn, am almost hoping it will be rain. Most of the yard is almost clear of snow, keep raking leaves off the lawn, full of twigs and little brnches from the self pruning willow tree.

Took Sassy to vet this afternoon. Blood work OK, urine looks like infection, going to do culture, on antibiotics anyway because of gum infection- her teeth are terrible! Will do ultrasound on Fri to check if any tumors in abdomen, if clear will also do chest X-ray looking for same. Depending on those results may have to decide if want to go further which means decision re surgery to debulk neck tumor ( in which case would also deal with the dirty teeth) but that is big bucks so not sure if will go that far. Unfortunately we always have to think about the rescue bank account!

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 12, 2011
4:29 PM

Post #8491088

Well that sent me on a little google search: The phase is apparently originally Jumping Jehosaphat: Here is one explanation:

On consulting the Oxford English Dictionary and the Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang, it seems clear that the name of the king of Judah (which also occurs in several other spellings, most commonly Jehosaphat) was used in the United States around the middle of the nineteenth century as a mild oath, a euphemism for Jehovah or Jesus. The phrase Jumping Jehoshaphat is first recorded from Mayne Reid’s Headless Horseman of 1866, but is probably older. It seems to have been in the tradition of exotic imprecations that Americans of that period were so fond of, with the repeated initial sound greatly helping its acceptance.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 12, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8491328

Ann - the "Google truck"???? have no idea what that might be...

Carol - thanks so much for looking that up - I love trivia and (like "Christ on a crutch" - a saying my father was fond of, or "Jesus wept" or even "Jesus H Christ" another one of my father's favs)
Actually, the last one is from the "IHS" which means "In His Service" and some people purposefully took as the "H" being Christ's middle initial LOL
Jehosophat was something I think that Grandpa used to say in "The Real McCoys" wasn't it?
He probably pronounced it more like "Gee" lol

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8491961

aSusan - I think the Google truck is the one that takes the pictures of houses for street view.

We are at a lovely B&B in Sutters Creek, CA. Had a good flight to SF and the a good drive out here. Also saw an area called Daffodill Hill. Google it.

ViAnn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 13, 2011
3:34 AM

Post #8492112

Morning, see frost on the roof next door so must be chilly and breakfast television says possible snow on the weekend..hmmmm say it isn't so..lol

Sounds like a wonderful place to be visiting ViAnn, enjoy your day and will google Daffodil Hill

Think you are correct re google truck..always wondered how they did all the street views..thought with satellite capabilities they have now days they might use that method! Now there would be a job for one of us...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2011
4:52 AM

Post #8492233

A GREAT way to start your morning .. ViAnn will LOVE this one ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyviyF-N23A

Jehosaphat, back in a bit ^_^

~M~

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8492415

Nah no satellites- they just drive up and down every street with their cameras! There was an issue in some countries because peoples faces could be seen and I think they have to blank them out now. I find it handy when I am going to do home visits as I can usually find the house I want to visit so have a better idea where I am g oing! Especially in winter at night!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 13, 2011
7:31 AM

Post #8492468

Yes, when I enter in my contacts on the ipad someones address first thing that comes up is map then moves over to their home..boys were showing me mine, bunch of cars in the yard and Kyle pointed to license plates being unfocused so you cannot get that info..does help though to know which house you are looking for..just thought there would me an easier way to get that data..

Ahhhh checked out the utube linke..cute kids..thanks for sharring

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2011
8:18 AM

Post #8492542

Marilynne - if that YouTube has sound I'll look at it when I get home. No sound on DH\s computer.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8492734

Thats pretty cute- there are a couple of other similar ones there too. Monks and nuns.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8492862

The one I sent was done in Alaska.

ViAnn .. it's the Messiah .. done in a rather 'quirky' way :-)

Enjoy your day everyone .. actually IN the beds today .. trouble is .. things have to ;come along' a bit more before I can start rooting OUT stuff like RUDBECKIA ~~

Toodles

~M~
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2011
4:10 PM

Post #8493575

My favourite Amaryllis has started to bloom.It is five years old and has rewarded me with blooms every year.This year there are 6 buds.JOY

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 13, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8493598

How beautiful...the one I got last year that was so beautiful now gas 3 or 4 long leaves only, should I cut them off?
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2011
4:42 PM

Post #8493664

Beautiful blooms you have Joy!
I have been spending alot of time watching the eagle cams in BC. Here is the link if anyone is interested - there are quite a few of them but the Delta 2 has 2 chicks that hatched this weekend.

http://www.hancockwildlife.org/index.php?topic=cam-sites
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8493666

Don't cut them off.Keep watering and fertilizing it.I put mine outside in the summer.In the fall keep it out until the first frost.Then you can put it in the basement for at least two months.I usually leave them until after Christmas or later.They will show a little green,Start watering and bring them to a sunny window.I have about 6 but this one is the prettiest. JOY
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2011
4:43 PM

Post #8493669

Is anyone else finding this site very slow lately or is it just me and my computer?...Laurie
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2011
5:55 PM

Post #8493834

Laurie
I was just on and no trouble at all. Maybe it was busy. Cool site!

We are expecting snow tomorrow!!! I thought that nasty word would give us a break for a while.
Oh Well all my little ones are inside under lights for now.
Ann
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 13, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8493889

Does anyone know what is doing this to my lawns and the neighbour's.Is it a Skunk or what?JOY

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 13, 2011
7:59 PM

Post #8494116

ooooooh Joy - that looks nasty! Sorry, can't help you...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 13, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8494126

Joy I think that is snow mold. I don't know much about it- do an internet search and Im sure you will find lots of information and how to deal with it.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 13, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8494131

snow mold sounds nasty too... I'd give it a good raking to aerate it.
growum
st.george, NB
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
3:59 AM

Post #8494431

Looks like skunk to me - I have one almost every year nosing around for grubs, worms, bugs.
Picture on this site - looks about the same as what you have - about half way down the page. Mine never hangs around long and I just repair the damage after he has moved on. Never quite sure if it is a skunk or raccoon as I have quite a few of them around too and I guess they will do the same thing...Laurie

http://willowhousechronicles.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/those-white-grubs/
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8494821

Here is what we woke up to this morning! There is a lot of it and I think it is wet and heavy - not looking forward to shovelling. The dogs had to make their own paths to p/p as it was up past their bums!

Yes give the snow mold a good raking.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2011
7:47 AM

Post #8494845

Oh no, white stuff, saying we might get a taste of it over the weekend as well..drats, not a good thing! Each time I hear of snow I say, last one of the year, well here we are nearing mid April and it's still a posibility..should have waited having all the gardens raked.

I was going to say moles..when I was at Harbor Freight Tools in Buffalo a few weeks ago they had a 'mole' unit that put off an undectable sound to human ear which would keep them away...hard to tell from photo but my yard at times looks much the same.

Do skunks dig???

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8495003

We have skunks, and they dig for grubs and other delectable Canadian SPRING delights 'YUK' ..and, the lawns do look like that, but, the silvery stuff is like everyone says, 'winter mold' and it leaves when you rake the areas.

Carol .. it is FRIGID here!! And, snow is on the horizon apparently .. but .. I'll still try and work some of the beds .. Lorna is hard at it, I still haven't regained my 'FULL head of steam' as of yet .

TTFN

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2011
11:28 AM

Post #8495296

Thanks to some earthly angels ALL my yard work is done...raking, tidying up and I did the pond last weekend so all is well..did hear snow might pay a visit on the weekend but will not stay long

Went to the drug store and from what I understand from the readings (have no idea how to read) so going by staf..lol 162/86 might be a tad high..will check it a few other times and if still high will go see the doctor
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8495622

Oh my betty the first number is a tad high and yes you should have it checked out, could be your headache problem too.
Ann

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2011
2:11 PM

Post #8495691

Betty .. MUCH too high for the top number. You had best follow up on this for sure ..

Flippin well raked in PARKAS today, and gloves .. but .. the SUN was so warm ...

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8495754

Will go to drug store on my way to work in the morning and see if it's still the same and if so will make sure it's checked...
In parkas "m"? Now you know how the. Eskimos feel. Lol

Although sunny the wind is bitter cold.

Can't believe since the gardens have been raked how much growth there has been.

Must go back and check weather for the weekend just invade rain and snow will now be su shine..lots of luck right!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8495845

I would not really place TOO much faith in the drugstore machines .. sometimes they can be inaccurate.
I'm not sure if the pharmacist could to do an actual READING with a cuff and stethoscope, I kinda don't know why he/she wouldn't be able to.

Lorna's parents are off to Georgian Downs tomorrow, then South Hampton for the weekend to visit relatives there, am hoping the weather holds for them ..

Early to bed as I am going to attempt a trip into town tomorrow ~~~

TTFN

~M~
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 14, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8495851

Yipee!! I just got a price on removing a big maple.It was much less than I expected so I told them to do it.Now I'll have some sun in my yard and on my pond.The yard is surrounded by larg trees most of them aren't mine.This will open up the yard and let the sunshine in.I have my cataract operation on Monday.I blind in the other eye so it better go as well as the Dr.. says it will.JOY
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 14, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8495921

I'm trying to hurry spring,It only took about 10 days for them to bloom.JOY

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 14, 2011
4:35 PM

Post #8495953

Oh Joy I do hope it does go well for you..they've made great strides in that field...excited for you as well, those fishes in the pond will be thrilled to see sunshine,,,wonderful that they gave you a good price to take it down..will it include complete clean up? Hate to see you picking up sticks...omg you sure are hurrying spring. Lol. Doubt mine even have buds..

"M". Sure am not taking the readings for cash. Lol. Just trying to find some reason for these headaches and with not being able to get appt with my doctor for awhile I thought I'd give it a try..after being with headache for 1 1/2 months I'm looking for any possible answer

Ohh Georgia Downs is about 10 minutes from my workplace...right in my neck of the woods..not sure where exactly south Hampton is though

I 'm in a swap - quilt block in Christmas/winter block..few days ago I decided to work on a few blocks, didn't do well at all, shouldn't have been playing with the machine so tonight I've taken all apart...will teach me !!

Ann just called, have palliative care bringing in air for mike tomorrow then late afternoon a nurse will come in to teach her how to give him morphine...feel so badly for her , them!
Haven't had supper yet, should get something before it's a midnight snack
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2011
8:49 AM

Post #8497599

Joy it will be a good year for your yard and you with both being able to have a better view. Beautiful Forcythia (sp?) we just have been dumped on by the S---- Fairy so no blooms yet.

Betty when I get my BP done at the Doc's I have to sit for about 5 minutes with out talking or moving and they take it 5 times and then use the middle 3's average. I do know you have to sit quietly. But get it checked for sure.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2011
10:49 AM

Post #8497793

Dropped in to drug store this morning, readings were higher than yesterday readings, machine is out of whack!!

Then Paul (boss) called in and told me I had have it checked out..

got to the clinic a few blocks away, was told 3 to 4 hour wait, well wasn't going to get off work before 3 so that would be okay.

After asking what was wrong she told me to go to the pharmacy and get my bloodpressure reading so she could attach to myform..came back and it was 212..told me to wait and left the 28 people who looked far more ill than I sit in waiting room while I went into the doctors..

Lovely lady..have a sheet of a zillion things she wants checked, can do that next week as I have to fast..and a prescription for high blood pressure meds...told me they cannot afford to lower my high blood readings too quickly..to MAKE sure i continue to take reading several times a day

Now home, might have a nap and know by tomorrow I'll be doing a jig, lol
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8497817

Betty , Lordy 212 is toooooo much, I hope this was the reason for your headaches it would be nice to have both fixed! Watch yourself on the meds as when I started taking mine I fainted but I did have a bit of warning as I got light headed and managed to sit in a chair first. So if you feel light headed sit or lay down as quickly as you can. The old head between the knees works wonders too. Just don't get up quickly, from anything till you get used to the meds.
Let us know when you have the Zillions done, you are on your way to wellness!
Ann
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2011
11:16 AM

Post #8497846

Girls, You will have to excuse me if I don't answer each person.My memory isn't that good but I'll try to answer . I'm having St.Mary's Tree Service cut down my tree,They have taken down several huge trees for me in the past and have...cleaned up nicely.This time it is the son running the company.His father passed away a couple of years ago.The Forsythia is Northern Gold.This year is the first year it has performed well at this house.I think it has been the victim of over zealous pruning.Last year I wouldn't let them touch it...my gardeners. I'd love to get them to come and clean up the yard next week but I want to be out to guard my Hydrangeas.last year they cut Endless Summer right down to the ground.I may not feel up to it next week.Betty you should get to the doctor .Your BP is too high.A daily pill will probably fix it...and a change in diet too.Don't risk a stroke.I lost the sight in my eye by not going to the Dr. when I should have.JOY

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2011
11:27 AM

Post #8497862

http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2011/04/15/Bettypauze/dcbbb3.jpg
The above were morning readings and office reading higher..she did say the machines could be out but not enough that she would say, no meds for you.

Sure hoping by tomorrow I'll be functioning again,,dr. Did tell me about the possible swooning so thank you Ann, will watch myself..

joy, glad you don't have to have it cleared..you are excited I'm sure to have it behind you..will make a difference for sure..tomorrow when I make my walkabout in the gardens I'll have to chech what names my forsythia is called..

Ive a couple of hydrangeas and didn't do anything last year re pruning so wonder should I cut them down and how much do I leave outside the ground if I do...

Off to rest
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2011
2:17 PM

Post #8498166

Betty
I wouldn't cut any now or you won't get any flowers. Check with the Hydranga folks but mine sets blooms the year before. I have ...Angel somthing or other. So I wait till after it blooms and don't cut back new growth. Maybe some bloom on older growth? Anyone?
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8498289

Will check for sure, went to break a dead limb, thought it was dead but was bright green underneath ..wasn't sure!

Had a nice nap, watch tv and early to bed..have to be at the tire guy for 8am. For snows to come off and new all seasons put on

joy are you getting snow?

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

April 15, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8498783

Waiving Wildly Betty and Friends!!!

Whew hopefully no snow for us...

...yep, please follow orders-FOR SURE.

Love ya, ya know.
Babe
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8498809

No snow for us ...just a bitter cold wind.The sun was shining but that wind!! JOY

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

April 15, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8498832

Hi there, Aged.

Woohoo , no snow...you are too cute, Sound just like my Betty!!
Angel something or other, giggle giggle, ROFLOL, not that I can name what is...
Holy Rain fall. thats what wer are getting, & brrr, quite chilly here.
Anyways just strolling around the threads...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8498879

More snow coming tonight!

One of my columnar junipers by the front door is still leaning at a 45 degree angle after the heavy wet snow Wed night.Worried might be broken at the base- tree guy stopping by to have a look sometime this weekend. Pic taken before I knocked all the snow off.

Sassy had her ultrasound today - a problem with one of her kidneys ( which apparently is abnormal anyway) but not sure if a tumor or an infection so trying a strong antibiotic for 3 weeks and see what happens. The tumor on her neck is huge and full of cavities but encapsulated . So in the long run whatever she will just stay with me for whatever time she has left.

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 15, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8498926

Judy, lol. Had to go back and check twice,thrice to see if I was on the right threap, you are a little imp!! Glad you are surfing the threads..fun thing to do on a stormy rainy evening!!

Storm a brewing, high winds, big maple and oak out front are swaying like crazy.. Motion detector light keeps coming on anh the howling, no wonder I cannot sleep.

Sassy is blessed to be with you Carol..she'll get such love and care in her last days. Can't believe the weather you are still getting, just don't send it my way please

'm". How are you feeling, bet you did too much these past few days.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8499298

Well .. BACK TO WINTER for us here in Thunder Bay!! We have a 'weather BOMB' occuring at this moment .. expecting close to 20cm of heavy wet snow !!
The dogs are in HEAVEN!

Betty .. 212 is absolutely unacceptable in the BP dept .. we get antsie at about 135. This SO needs to addressed.

I am creeping up to feeling maybe 75% better .. lets just say I won't be blowing the snow or shoveling it either .. if I did either my shoulders would cave on me, or, I'd overdo and go backwards on the feeling better 'percentometer' !!

Joy, great news on the tree removal .. that's something that is MEGA BUX here .. and I'd like to see several trees GONE .. have to keep buying those Lotto tickets ^_^

Off to make a cuppa

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8499342

Forgot sumpthin ^_^

Watched 'BLACK SWAN' last evening with Natalie Portman and Barbara Hershey. WOW!! Talk about an INTENSE movie!!
It's got it's disturbing moments, but, for the most part, it is an excellent movie and a wee peak into the stresses in the world of a top ot the heap Ballerina.
Natalie Portman is not only beautiful, but BOY, can she act !!!!

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 16, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8499412

Major rain and wind storm happening here, yikes if it's not nailed down I'm sure I'll be searching for it..whatever it is. Lol

Already been to midland, got new tires, didn't mind the $300 for 4 tires and accepted the taxes but sure didn't like the almost $25.00 Imposed for disposal of..not bad if the money does go for that purpose...

Started to move around and headache city so am now on the chesterfield for a bit but DO want to Getz something accomplished today

Be careful out there everyone...a day to stay in for sure
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 16, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8500268

I was told it was cost $3000. but was pleasantly surprised with a price of $750.00`The company are on a reservation wher
e the p
eople are very successful bussiness people`My daughter had a young woman intern with he.I have just returned from another funeral.This was for my family doctor who looked after us when my children were growing upp.With him there were no visits to the ER.When someone was sick he would drop in on his wat home to check us out.He was a personal friend too.He loved to fish and would share his salmon catch with us.We were not fishermen but loved Salmon. RIP. JOY
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8500358

There being some interest in the upcoming royal wedding in some circles you might get a kick out of this take on the wedding processional...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav0FEhtLug&feature=youtu.be

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 16, 2011
3:10 PM

Post #8500399

lol that's funny, Carol - thanks for sharing!

I've always been a monarchist, but guess the constant portrayal of the Royal Family since Diana's passing has just been too "Enquirer" for me.
They're a lovely family who has problems just as the rest of us do, and I wish the notoriety would end. I will enjoy the weddings when they happen ^_^
(there, that's my soap-box for the day LOL )
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8500955

INSTALLING SPRING...

███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.

Install delayed...please wait.
Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found.
Season "Spring" cannot be located. The season you are looking for might
have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
Please try again.

Sounds like Calgary!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2011
4:47 AM

Post #8501270

LOL Carol .. sure is true there in Calgary, and here in Thunder Bay .. back are boots, parkas, mitts, gloves, and doggies who are in HEAVEN rolling in the snow and then hauling it back into the house on their faces and feet !!
We got the the promised 20cm+ and it is downright disappointing .. but .. like any stalwart Canadian, I KNOW it'll be gone, AGAIN, by mid week as our temps climb.

Susan .. I don't consider myself a Monarchist (in the absolute 100% definition of the word), but, I do enjoy keeping sort of 'UP' on the wedding. I doubt I'll be getting up early to watch the ceremony live, but doubtless it'll be re broadcasted for weeks. I think Wills and Kate make a lovely couple, and I do so hope she can weather the storm of becoming Royalty. Makes me shiver when I think of what transpired with Diana !!

Joy, my condolences on the loss of your friend. He sounds like he was a very special person.

TTFN

~M~

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8501380

Funny link about the royal wedding. Thanks.

Another yucky day here in Ottawa as well. Have DGD sleeping over after a family concert we went to yesterday.

In regard to the Royal wedding, my "Something Purple" group (used to be Red Hat until we rebelled and refused to pay $20 each to Red Hat corporate headquarters) will be having a wedding sleepover at one member's home. Gathering in the evening to watch movies, etc. and the wedding in the morning. Dunno whether they will break up in time to go to aquafit (since most of us came from the aquafit group). I've decided to drop in in the evening but go home to sleep a bit overnight and return in the wee hours of the morning.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 17, 2011
6:32 AM

Post #8501450

Morning, loved the spring post. Lol. Sitting here this morning I've had a few changes and it's only 8:30..hint of sun, then on to snow, then on to rain and now the sun is shilnning, wo knows what the day will bring..

Still staying quiet but hope to at least make a quilt block today so I feel like I've accomplished something!!

Joy, what a savings..just think you can go purchase a few more if those lovely outfits that had to stay in the dress shop that you were eyeing when you pi coed up the last ones...lol

Hugs for you, not easy losing a friend!

Yikes, blizzard just moved in
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8501518

Well I remember waking
up early to watch POW wedding- I had just moved to Calgary, my furniture had just arrived and I could only get 1 channel on the TV but that was the one! Doubt I will be up at 4 this time but you never know. I am a member of several 'royal' type websites ( one is Royal Jewels!) and although I am a lurker it is fun to read, not just UK but most of the Europeans. Watched the Swedish wedding on my computer! And you know I remember being up early in the morning and sitting on the stairs listening to the radio broadcast of the QElls wedding!

Snowed all night here! Sigh! 6 weeks left to open garden on May 29. Not happy about that!

Arborist came yesterday and hauled my poor juniper upright and attached it to the porch railing! Thinks there is probably some root damage as the tips are starting to turn brown. Nothing to be done but wait and see. Hope it does not die as I have a matching one on the other side of the steps!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 17, 2011
7:23 AM

Post #8501562

Carol, remember I was in brownies when the Queen came to visit our little town...remember them in a horse drawn cart..wouldn't get them traveling like that with little security these days..also remember watching Prince of Wales wedding also..

Hope your tree survives ..be difficult finding one of same size to plant so that the front garden design is in tact!

Must surf the web to see what year queen was in penetanguishene..

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 17, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8501646

Absolutely amaIng, went back and looked, don't see a visit to penetanguishene and yet, although I remember few things about my youth I can remember standing in a field with so many people and children, preparing for the march...hmmm must be losing it..always had memories of same..isn't that the strangest thing..best I not tell that story any more...
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2011
9:23 AM

Post #8501799

I also remember - I think probably grade 8 - when the then Princess Elizabeth toured the country - all the school kids gathered in the hockey arena ( Saskatoon) and we sang Land of Hope and Glory! And maybe The Maple Leaf Forever? My brother was in the air cadets and they formed an honor guard when she arrived at the train station. Somewhere we have a picture of her reviewing the guard and my brother is in it.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2011
9:36 AM

Post #8501817

Thunder Bay is kind of 'TSK,TSK', re one of Queen Eliz and Prince Phillip's visits here .. it was in the 60's , I was young and didn' really GRASP the meaning of the HUGE 'faux pas' our Mayor made at the time. Had there been YouTube back then, well .. the video would have overtaken the net!!
Our dear sweet Mayor 'Walter Assef' (RIP), not unlike HURRICANE HAZEL of Mississaugua .. did things his OWN way .. be darned protocol .. and .. he put his arm around the Queen's waist just above her butt to help her along the stage ... BIIIIIGGGGGGGGG No No .. no one is to touch her .. kind of sounds archaic, but, we were sure a National hit for that for years LoL

~M~

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8501823

Walter Assef (May 31, 1913 – January 14, 1988) was a Canadian politician, and former Vaudevillian,[1] who served as mayor of the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario. He was the first, and so far the only mayor, to have been elected for two discontinuous terms. He was first elected in 1973 and served until 1978. His second term began when he was re-elected in 1981 and lasted until 1985.

Walter Melund Assef was born May 31, 1913 at Sioux Lookout, Ontario to John Hunna Khaleefy Asseff, a native of Hasroun, Lebanon, and Maria Rosa Bintado (variant spelling, Mary Penteado), a native of Brazil. He died January 14, 1988.

He is famously known locally to have patted the behind of Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to Thunder Bay in 1973, although some sources believe it was merely a trick photo taken from an angle that appears to show something that was not real. However, he did officially introduce the Royal Couple to the city as "his Royal Highness and his lovely wife".

Liberace dined at the home of Walter Assef before performing at the Fort William Gardens on 30 September 1961.

OOPS .. 1973 ... was SURE it was the 60s sometime .. see that Betty ^_^

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 17, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8501972

Hmmm would have been in mid 50,s. IRS the strangest thing...been in bed all day..now watching snow white,,not cartoons. Lol. Am losing it!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 17, 2011

Post #8502556

I was a brownie leader when the Queen came to Winnipeg and to the Legislative Grounds. One of our troop gave the Queen a handful of handpicked flowers. Another time Prince Charles came down the Red River in a canoe to dedicate The Forks (a new park at the joining of the Red and Assinniboine Rivers - hence, The Forks). I was one of the canoeists at the beginning of the group that went down the Assinniboine, but I know no one was watching us - they were waiting for the Prince!. That must have been in the mid-80's cuz my daughter was 7 the first time, and I was a Guide Leader the 2nd time.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 17, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8502856

Neat susan, can't have those memories and it not have happened, did go somewhere as a group in a bus, wonder if I travelled somewhere...brownies ..would have had to be young,,

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8502995

I've seen the Queen a few times from a distance, living in Ottawa, but the best time was before DD and DSIL got married. He was in the Governor General's Foot Guards and they were presented with new colours at a ceremony at Rideau Hall. Conrad Black was there - as commander of the unit and it happened at a time when the Queen was in Ottawa - just before July 1 in either 1997 or 1998. DSIL's parents were out of town; so we were given Dave's tickets and at the reception afterwards on the patio of Rideau Hall, the Queen passed within about 3 feet of me.

When she was last here for Canada Day, we got close enough to see parts of the Landau through the crowd, but only my camera being held up high saw the Queen.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8504597

Je suis une FUDDY DUDDY LoL
Went to our NEW (almost re opened) SUPER Walmart today .. the grocery store is still under construction .. and the renos inside are continuing ... WOW .. what can I say .. I was getting heady from the scent of EASTER BUNNY CHOCOLATE LoL
Lasted 40 minutes and called it good ... bought 2 GORGEOUS (and healthy) geraniums .. smell wonderful ..

Election jabber is full tilt here. Stephen Harper is here for the evening, Layton later this week, and Ignatief (sp) on Sunday .. No BLOC reps though !!!!

Snow is slowly melting .. still kinda mushy in places though.

Off to watch Corrie :-)

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 18, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8504657

Hoe exciting ViAnn, benefits for sure with living in Ottawa..if I remember correctly you are not far from Parliament Hill...would imagine it would have been in poor taste to snap a photo at the luncheon!!

"m" love our super Walmart, primarily because I'm an early riser so I can be in town and do one stop shopping and be home by 8pm..amazing to see how many are shopping that time of morning.

My sister. Sharon called awhile ago, mom had her knee replaced this morning, in pain, that is too be expected..on morphine drp so she'll be flying high shortly!

My vision was much better today but head still pounding so decided not to fight it and just enjoy the chesterfield

I'm glad to say that based on different weather fronts we have no mud..glad of that as it's much easier to keep floors clear of little paw prints

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2011
4:48 PM

Post #8504723

[quote="Bettypauze"]
My sister. Sharon called awhile ago, mom had her knee replaced this morning, in pain, that is too be expected..on morphine drp so she'll be flying high shortly!
My vision was much better today but head still pounding so decided not to fight it and just enjoy the chesterfield
[/quote]

hahahaha mom flying "high" eh? LOL
Yes, enjoy the chesterfield!! Glad your vision is better...

fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8504864

The view outside my front door this evening!

New construction across the street and todaythey have started the work to connect the water and sewer services.
Street is blocked off most of the week I guess.
Glad my back gate lake has disappered so I can park in the back!

Thumbnail by fancyvan

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 18, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8504921

wow - what a mess, Carol - good thing you can use the back! Well, it will be quieter for traffic in the front street, and machinery noise instead.
One good thing - the noise stops at a certain time, but when you have traffic, it could be anytime.
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2011
6:42 PM

Post #8505001

Carol,
OPPORTUNITY!! a Really big one.
Men, shovels and power tools, what do you need moved that you can't lift or shove around???? Is there a rock or something you need to get rid off as there will be a big hole in the street that will need to be filled. When they did this on our street I had some clay that I had dug out for a bed and they let me put 4 wheel barrows down the hole and helped when I was stuck.
Anyway Royal stuff fun to watch and I'm glad I'm not one of them, living in a fishbowl.
We did have some sun here and our newest snow is slowly going away. Should have double digits by the end of the week.
Alberta Ann
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 18, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8505069

No such luck Ann although maybe I could get them to shovel all the snow off the lawn? I have a big pile of leaves and twigs from the willow on the back patio ( raked off the lawn in periods when the snow has melted) - maybe they would take that? LOL- dont think so!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 19, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8505787

I'm chuckling re the road work/utilities installation across from you Carol.
Last year our country side road was paved .. later in the afternoon, I was outside, and 2 workers from the paving company came barreling up our driveway. 'HEY .. Missus .. you want it we do your driveway with leftover' .. I was so excited . LUCKILY I asked "how much" .. The fella looks up and down the driveway and hollers .. 'For you .. $5500.00"!
I was dumbfounded .. told them I;d think about it .. thay never came back !!!!

Just went out to feed the deer .. the songbirds are hard at it .. even the deers ears are twitching in overtime to catch all the tweets and twitters ^_^

Cupboard cleaning today . Ugggggggggg

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 19, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8506184

Enjoying working from home today, atmosphere is so much more conducive to mix crafts with office work! Lol

Just got the following email from Ann:

Hi...Sorry have just put the computer on.  Mike went into the hospital on Friday.  His oxygen was really low, heart rate really high, dehydrated etc.  He came back home around noon today then they came to deliver oxygen, i went to get his new meds, a hospital bed has been delivered and a nurse came to show me how to deliver morphine inhalations and other things he might need from the symptom kit that was also delivered. Melissa stayed and will go home sometime tomorrow.  I have to go to Barrie for the social worker tomorrow but if you are going to be home maybe I will pop in for a visit.  I had planned to do that both Sat and Sunday but with the hospital just never got around to it.  How are you feeling

Sure sounds like the end is near..when Ann asked him a few weeks ago if there was anything he would like to do, said he'd love to sit in his boat May 1st. Fishing. Opening...hope he makes it..would be nice to see his dream come true..

Yikes what a mess, I'd see if there was a good looking gent and charm him to do a few chores needing done. Lol

Hope you are all having a sunshine day
smurf428
cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

April 19, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8506687

Hi all
Sorry i haven't wrote in sometime, so much is going on.. I really have no time to read through these posts anymore.. Since my last post, we have gotten the ok from work and the paperwork is in the process, it should be in by mid may.. Once the paper work comes in Hubby is off to work in Alabama.. I will be moving there in july once the school year comes to an end. We will be renting out our house for july first, we wanted to sell but the market is to low and we'll loose money.. Now for the HUGE news, the us government wont let me go unless were married.. So in 11 days (april 30th) I will be the happiest woman on the earth when i get married to my amazing fiance, after 6.5 years together its finally gonna happen... We planned it all in 2 weeks about 5 weeks ago.. 178 people were invited and its going to be a great day.. Allison is getting bigger and bigger everyday, shes 8months now.. Not walking yet thank god.. life is good, sadly i wont be gardening much this year as i will leave in july just before all my hard work really start to get going, so i dont see much of a point.. When i get down there i dont want to start in the middle of the season either so i think i'm out for the year :(
Anyways happy gardening to you all, i'm off to my last dress fitting :)
jen

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
12:43 PM

Post #8506749

Congratulations Jen. I hope all goes well for you both with the wedding and with the move.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 19, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8507066

What exciting news, just made mention of you the other day..wondered if you had already moved

Kudos to the USA government for making you both realize you belong together as man and wife!! Pooh know you will be so busy but wedding photo's please!

Had a visit from Ann this aft. I'm on a bit of a downer ...not many days left for Mike..so sad!

Mom doing ok after knee surgery but had to give her blood today..in goo

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

April 19, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8507155

Jen - congratulations!! Wow - wedding, move to a new country - such a lot to take in, eh?
Guess you won't be saying "eh" much longer, eh? LOL

Betty - so sorry to hear about Mike, and hope he gets to go sit in the boat on May 1. Surely doesn't sound like it though, with the hospital bed and morphine, etc... likely won't be going anywhere, sorry to say...

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8508199

Jen .. exciting times for you .. frantic as well I can imagine. I wish you all the very best.

Betty sorry to hear of the plight of your friend Ann .. has she been offered some respite care or just companionship for her and Mike from a Hospice group? That's what I do in the one I volunteer for here in TBay. Long term or short term.

Not much happeneing here .. supposed rain/flurries on the way for today ... trying to firm up dates re Lorna's parents visit and a trip for Gordon out west (Summerland) to see his younger brother who is having knee surgery April 21. Looking as though May is going to be a VERY busy month here ..

Off to feed the deer

~M~

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 20, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8508794

Half rain and half snow here today..it's cold out there!

Ann called the pallative care/hospice as Mike said he thought he was ready but they told Ann there is only 6 beds and all occupied at this time so Ann,unless she has to, wants to keep him home rather than a hospital bed
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8508835

Jen, Congratulations , no wonder you don't have time to do any on line things! Much happiness to you all and a smooth transition to a new neighborhood! I will look forward to seeing some posts as you are able with updates on Allison and your new home!
Alberta Ann
annabell52
Edmonton, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8508927

Hi All
Hosta Alert.
Hosta Choice Gardens from Ontario is having a sale! Check out their website, they do have some mini's on sale and if you are hooked I am feeding your addiction!.
Ann

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 20, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8509025

I'll have to look them up Ann..made some hypertufa containers last year and really want some mini hosta's so off I go looking .. thanks for the head up!
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 20, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8509079

I ordered mine ages ago. Dont think I should look for any more! Filling up my 'mouse' basket.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 20, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8509107

Love the praying hands..

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2011
1:30 PM

Post #8509230

I'll have to check out Hosta Choice. But I haven't really thought what I'll add this year. Too busy figuring out what I'll divide and sell. Am going to have a sale and have started preparing a list. Will give a large share of the proceeds to my church renovations.

Betty - will keep Ann and Mike in my prayers. Good for you making the hypertufa containers. Something I've been going to do for awhile, but haven't.

Would you like me to start a new thread or would you like to do it? Getting so long it doesn't work well on my computer.

ViAnn

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 20, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8509236

For my 1st ones Vi-Ann they turned out pretty well..going to see how well container gardening goes and might make more in the fall..

Yes, time to move us over...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

April 20, 2011
1:38 PM

Post #8509243

New room everyone..

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174689/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Rice Lake, ON OhioBreezy 27 Sep 19, 2007 7:46 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America