Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Sewing and Quilting: What I'm working on

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 31, Views: 342
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8458262

I'm making a quilt to send to Japan. I'm sure most of the quilters here are aware of several groups working to send 'comfort quilts' to the suffering people there. The Japanese people love quilting and are extremely good at it. The editor of their Patchwork magazine is who I'm sending mine to. I bought the print fabric several years ago at the Paducah Quilt Show, but it never seemed to be right for any project I was working on. It is a reproduction of a kimono print and I guess it was just waiting for this.

Please don't look at the crooked seams and points that don't quite match...I'm no quilter. I sew lots of things (I have 3 sewing machines, one of which is a Featherweight) I just don't call myself a quilter...

This is going to be an Attic Windows and I've laid the blocks on the fabric like it will be finished. I'll get another dark for the border (maybe a purple) and will probably bind it in the cinnamon color.

Thumbnail by melody
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8458437

Very nice Melody. We are all trying to help in one way or another. We know how much our efforts will be appreciated. Why don't we see more of you here????

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8458460

I'm sort of like the Wizard of Oz...'pay no attention to the lady behind the curtain'...as I'm keeping things going behind the scenes.

I love to work with fabric...but I've just not done much quilting. Mom, however has a couple of KY State Fair blue ribbons and some red ones. She's a docent and tour guide at the Museum, so I am around it all the time.

I like working with color and do a lot of fabric dyeing. That is my calling. I dye silk scarves for the Museum Gift Shop.

I think this will be fun, and it is something I really want to do. I'll keep everyone updated with the quilt's progress. It is going to be small...like a lap quilt, or a child's quilt...but I really see an elderly lady with it, when I imagine who it will end up with.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
10:43 AM

Post #8458487

It will be so pretty. Please show us as you go along with it when you can...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 29, 2011
12:56 PM

Post #8458683

what a lovely thing for you to do ^_^ yes I'd say that fabric was waiting for the right purpose...
I just read a piece ...on a blog that said Alex Anderson is collecting quilts for Japan...going to look into that some more, and will most likely send something...she is some one I know I can trust... way too many scams out there when these kind of things happen.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8458712

Alex would be a good one as well. You know she'd follow through.
Naomi Ichikawa, editor of Patchwork Tshushin is asking for quilts. She's been to Paducah many times and even to Mom's house. Her group is the one I'm using. I wouldn't send one without knowing who was overseeing it on the other end. Too easy to be scammed. Since we know Naomi personally, I feel good about her request.

She's asking that folks wait until the end of April to send quilts. Everything is still in such a mess that more people can be helped by waiting a month so they can get the delivery system in place. From what I understand, many parts of the country are still impossible to get to.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8458723

That gives the quilters time to act as well. Great job...

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8458733

Yes, it was good thinking on her part. Gives us time to do a project and them time enough to get their wits about them. I'm backing mine with flannel for more warmth...I may put a wool batting in it...it would be warmer than poly.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2011
11:37 AM

Post #8517558

I finally have the top done. Thought ya'll would enjoy seeing it. I'm going to machine quilt it with diagonal lines going in either direction so that it will make diamonds...the pattern is too busy for me to attempt to machine quilt it in the ditch.

Thumbnail by melody

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8517988

That came out beautiful. i wish I had pictures of the 20 quilts that went in two boxes to Colorado. Our little group of snowbirds did one. We thought it came out very nice. We used the red accent for good luck.

Thumbnail by mittsy

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
6:11 AM

Post #8519043

Oh, how pretty! I'm sure it will be cherished!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8519052

Both of these are so beautiful. I wish I had thought to get a picture of the one my friend and I did. She has a friend there and we sent directly to her.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8523966

Very lovely quilts, Melody and Mittsy.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8671174

I just realized I hadn't posted an image of the finished quilt!

Here is is, all quilted and bound. It has tons of flaws, but I like the colors and it will be a cheerful, serviceable gift for someone.

Thumbnail by melody

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
6:28 AM

Post #8671179

I draped it on my porch swing for another shot...please ignore my thirsty coleus...they are such little water junkies. They did get a drink a bit later.

Thumbnail by melody

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

July 4, 2011
6:56 AM

Post #8671237

Beautiful! Looks perfect on the swing. ;-)

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
7:17 AM

Post #8671294

Beautiful job Melody. You should be very proud of it and I'm sure it will be much loved in Japan. God Bless and Happy 4th!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 4, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8671323

Flaws... I don't see any flaws.
My Great Uncle used to say "If you can't see it flying over in a plane, don't worry about it".

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8671346

ABout hems that were not straight, my mother used to say "No one will notice on a galloping goose!" Guess she thought I never could stand still!!

Your quilt is great, getting it done AND posted!! Good for you!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8671796

Isn't it funny how a word or a phrase ( stand still! ) will bring a memory flashing back into focus? Yours brought to mind my aunties discussing how they had drawn "seams" with eyebrow pencil on the backs of their legs. They couldn't get nylons because of the war. I believe they used Maybelline, black or brown.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8714630

My quilt has made it to the Quilts4Japan offices and they've posted in their gallery on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/quilts4japanese_survivors/page2/

It should head out to Japan in the next shipment.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8714788

That's wonderful Melody. It is beautiful...And I'm sure will be treasured...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

July 25, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8715093

pretty quilt Melody! I'm sure some deserving person will cherish it!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 26, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8715701

Melody that is so awesome. The quilt will make someone very happy.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
9:46 AM

Post #8718512

I've been busy making two of these table toppers as a donation at my high school reunion. Hope they like them...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

housse301
Lexington Park, MD

July 27, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8719225

Barb I just love the way all the colors go so nicely together.
That is where I always have a heard time.
Whom ever receive those will be very happy.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

July 27, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8719290

Oh, those are fantastic! I love the way the colors work too!

Whoever gets those will be thrilled.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 27, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8719389

I'm afraid I can't take credit for how the fabrics are so artfully coordinated. I owe it all to Moda this time. It is part of a new Christmas collection that my LQS got in and I could not leave there. The four squares are part of a panel - I just got the sashing and backing materials from the same line.. The cornerstones were a fabric I had that matched pretty well. (The extent of my finding fabrics!!! Heehee) Glad you liked it and I sure hope they do! Any suggestions regarding quilting without ruining the simplicity of it????
Thea1962
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 28, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8720433

Melody you made such a beautiful quilt for Japan and I am sure the person receiving it will be over joyed. It is people like you and so many others here, with your act of kindness by making something beautiful and special for complete strangers, show the world you care and make this world a better place. Thank you!
Ohhhhh Barb I just love the fabric!! I love fabric with “realistic” looking birds and flowers. Lucky person who will receive this beauty!! As for the quilting part, I am no help there…lol…it takes me always forever to decide how to quilt and most of the time I just stick with straight lines, because I can’t meander for the life of me…lol…or I handquilt. Hope someone else can give you better advice then me.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 29, 2011
10:09 PM

Post #8724600

do you do any FMQ on your machine?? I think if you traced one of the flowers...maybe the largest red one...and used that??? one in each corner of each block...?? and maybe an echo about 1/4'' out around the birds, and around the group of flowers????? could do smaller flowers in cornerstones and in sashing if you wanted... and SID around the green frames??? JMHO

take a piece of see through plastic...those Paper protectors that are made to stick a sheet of paper inside of sleeve...work great...draw a few designs on the plastic with a sharpie...put plastic over quilt block...not perfect...but allows you to sorta pre view the design...

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8724779

Fantastic idea Thunder. Thank you so very much. I'll give that a shot. I went and bought another 10 yards of Warm and White batting the other day and they included the specifications for it. It said I can have the quilting as much as 10 inches apart!!!. The blocks are appprox. 7" square. Since this is a wall hanging and not going to get much washing, I'm thinking of just doing a 1/4" line away on both sides of the seams. With maybe something special in the cornerstones. I want to keep the quilting as simple as the blocks. I don't want to take away from the fabric design at all...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

July 31, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8727212

ohhh I thought they were much larger!!! I still think flower in the corner stone... I am sure you will do something fantastic...

I ALWAYS have a difficult time deciding what to quilt!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America