AuthorContent

DaylilySLP

DaylilySLP
Dearborn Heights, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
4:24 PM

Post #8459001

How about posting some Pond images? Any pond, any season.
Here is the first image of my Pond, taken September, 2010. It is aprox 30 feet long and variable widths (the widest point is about 12 feet.
Sandy

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DaylilySLP

DaylilySLP
Dearborn Heights, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8459009

Sept 2010

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 29, 2011
5:02 PM

Post #8459086

Great idea! I love seeing ponds :)
I have 4 and 1 stream, here's a few of my favorite pics.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 29, 2011
5:04 PM

Post #8459089

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 29, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8459097

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 29, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8459134

fish_knees: is the stream natural or did you 'create' it? I see a gargoyle. Love them. And it looks like you built a little 'bog garden' above the one pipe dumping into the pond. How absolutely beautiful. Ya' know. after a while we just run out of sufficient adjectives..
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 29, 2011
5:29 PM

Post #8459146

My fishies. this was Sept 2009

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 29, 2011
5:31 PM

Post #8459152

August 2009

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 29, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8459159

March 2011

Thumbnail by Oberon46

DaylilySLP

DaylilySLP
Dearborn Heights, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8459234

Sept 2010
Koi & Goldfish

Thumbnail by DaylilySLP

Fish_knees

Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

March 29, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8459367

Daylilyslp, ♥ your pics!

mstella, I live in Phoenix, so no natural streams :(
That is a pond not a bog, however it took six garbage bags just to haul out the "roots" of those Canna's, they grew to almost 7ft. I was in that pond for over 2 hours with a saw. It is now free of plants except one tropical lily. Not making that mistake again :O
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 30, 2011
5:25 AM

Post #8459927

Holy cow. No wonder I thought it was a bog area. I really want one but the design of my pond simply doesn't allow for it. Now I guess I should think twice. Of course, our weather is a natural deterrent to many invasive plants. they won't survive the winter. The cala lilies would have just croaked.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 30, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8459946

I am at work, so I have no pictures to add yet -

mstella - I grow callas in pots all summer. I have to lift them every year in my zone as well. Definitely well worth having. I need to try Fish_Knees suggestion and try them out by the pond.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

March 30, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8459986

I love Cala lilies as I remember them around my great-grandmother's house in Oakland, California. She had a round brick fish pond that the city eventually made them fill in. Cala's don't do well here as I think their growing and blooming season is exactly backwards from ours. I have a putting green next to my pond with a rock path between that I am considering turning into another pond, connected to the main pond with a little bridge where the path is now. I could put a ledge in there for plants that like wet feet and maybe a slanting bottom to allow for 2-5" of water for other bog type plants.
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8467881

Winter view- I'm really over seeing ice and snow on my pond!!

Thumbnail by mwhit

mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8467887

Spring -getting better!!

Thumbnail by mwhit

mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8467891

Summer-can't wait!!

Thumbnail by mwhit

mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8467894

It's good to be king!!

Thumbnail by mwhit

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 2, 2011
9:04 PM

Post #8468050

mwhit, great pics. I love seeing the difference between early spring (looks like mine) and summer.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2011
9:32 PM

Post #8468069

[quote="Fish_knees"]Daylilyslp, ♥ your pics!

mstella, I live in Phoenix, so no natural streams :(
That is a pond not a bog, however it took six garbage bags just to haul out the "roots" of those Canna's, they grew to almost 7ft. I was in that pond for over 2 hours with a saw. It is now free of plants except one tropical lily. Not making that mistake again :O[/quote]

why did they take over like that? Does your pond have an earth bottom or is it a liner? Sorry! I just don't get it! :)
I would love for plants to take over in my pond, but w the liner I can't grow anything but in a pot, and nothing grows around the edge either, as there is no soil. Just looks yucky seeing all that liner, of course I covered it mostly w rock, but still I would like to see lots of plant growth.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8468321

Frilly

There is a way -when we built our pond (this is our 3rd one), instead of the conventional shelving, we put in one shelf and then foamed in rocks standing on end. When the foam was hardened, that whole area was filled with pea gravel and then we planted directly into the pea gravel.

We call it a bog, although it is not a true bog in that sense. What is really great about this, is that this whole area filters the water as well. We ended up doing this on all 4 sides with a bit of rock on the sides in between bog areas. In the larger of the 4 areas, DH has a small pump running through it to help filter the water.

You can see in my picture where the water celery has taken over - which is not a bad thing. The roots of the water celery are excellent for filtration, however the downside to the water celery is that it is pushing everything else growing out. As you can see, I have water iris in this bog as well and every year the water iris diminishes. I expect the water iris in this bog to be totally gone either this year or next. We just cut all the plants back in November when we shut everything down.

This has worked very well for us over the 5 or 6 years we have had this pond (our last one for this house). This helps to hide liner, it helps to hide the proverbial rock necklace and the fish love the water celery.

It is fun to watch the fish pull at the water celery with all their might. I know others have talked about fish eating their plants - I don't care if they eat the water celery as it grows like crazy and I just love watching the determination of these fish.

If you want more info on it, let me know .

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
7:44 AM

Post #8468590

very interesting, I will keep that idea in mind when I do my next pond. I really like the water plants, but I don't seem to have great luck with anything so far. Someone gave me a pickeral ( I think?) and it starting to come up now in the pond, it is potted of course. I really like the look of creeping jenny and hope I can get some of that to grow around the edges. I think it likes some shade though, so might have to find something else as my pond is full sun.
DavEdsel
Amherst, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2011
8:47 AM

Post #8468709

Beautiful pictures of everyone's' ponds.

Water celery is definitely invasive. We had some a few years ago that took root outside the pond along the edge and took right over. We ended up removing it all.

You can see pictures of the new pond my wife build this past fall here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1140991/

We are looking forward to see how it looks as the seasons progress this year.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 3, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8468712

Water celery even does well up here, although in pots. it spread across the surface of the pond and the fish eat it. but it wasn't as lush as yours. Parrot Feather does really well, but water lettuce doesn't do well. I suspect it is too cool here for it to last. Starts out okay and the gradually turns yellow. Fish eat the roots and hide under it though. Just awfully expensive. $14.00 for a little 4" clump. I don't have ledges in my pond so I rig pots that sort of hang on the rock but wired so they won't fall in. Not very attractive, but it beats no plants at all. Going to experiment with nasturtiums, Livingston Daisys, and portulaca this year as a way to hide the 'rock necklace'. Not in the pond, just inserted into pockets of rock around the edge and draping down to the water edge. We'll see.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
9:48 AM

Post #8468786

That's not a pond . . . that's a lake!!!! Wow, you are fortunate!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
9:51 AM

Post #8468791

Alaska_I am amazed by the growth on your waterlillys. I live in zone 5a (chicago) and it takes some time to get growth on the lotus' and lillys. What zone are you in - alaska?
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8468799

mwitt-is that spring photo current? I am jealous if your weather and garden are already awaken to that point already!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8468807

The Pond-lake comment was to the originator of this thread.

Mstella: put hostas in along the edge of your pond. If you don't have any I can donate to your cause for postage. Also, I dug trenches and lined them around the edge of my pond and growth lotus. I have throw cannas in there as well. They look like part of my pond when they grow in a little.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
10:03 AM

Post #8468813

Here's a photo from a few years ago when it was recently built.

Thumbnail by mothermole

mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
10:04 AM

Post #8468819

It has changed a lot. Less sterile-more wild . . . lol!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8469003

Well Linda - where have you been? How have you been? You have been missed! I was up in your neck of the woods last summer... I am so glad you are back!

Carolyn
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8469054

Hi Carolyn: Nice to know I have been missed-I have missed all you folks as well. Remember that thread I started with our real names and the photos? I still remember what everyone looks like. You are the elegant pretty one!!! Are most of the same people still here?

Where I have I been? I was very busy in the garden last year so I hardly went online. The fish are doing great-no illnesses or deaths so I was managing them way better with the improvements to the pond. This winter I started a new business - an advertising/strategic marketing company and it took off quickly. But now that things have settled down a little bit and I was able to subcontract out some of my work load I am able to enjoy myself a little more. I just renewed my membership a few days ago.

How are things here? Any news I should be aware? Marriages, illnesses, anything?

Linda
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 3, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8469098

Dear MM (Linda?); your pond is very similar in shape and materials to mine, including the ring of rock. I notice you have some iris that appear to be IN the pond. also I see your mechanical setup with one of those big faux rocks that I assume cover it. I have hosta; I actually broke up a bunch last spring and had it coming out my ears. lol. Put the babies all around the garden for future use. So, maybe now is the future. While my pond is in direct sun, our sun is 'cooler' than that of the 'lower 49.' I will try also shifting some of the rock to put in planting pockets. Problem is that there is a liner with heavy felt behind it and it extends up out of the pond for a foot or so. Have cut it away bit by bit, but I obviously have to be careful. Thanks for the great ideas.

Oh, I am in a micro-climate 5b -- not sure about the a,b,c part of that, but a 5 for sure based on what I can grow and what will winter over. Bearded Iris are on the edge, and anything but Stella d'oro daylilies seem to not have the heat they need. Lots of light, just not too warm.
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8470048

Mothermole,
Unfortunately ( for me) that is last May's picture! Since we had snow, sleet, rain and hail this weekend I guess I will be leaving my water plants in their wading pool in the basement for a few more weeks.I did pull the hardy lilies from the bottom to the shelf so they get more light. They are looking like something from the black lagoon right now -kind of mossy and cruddy. As soon as it gets warmer I will put them in another wading pool while I use the pond-vac and add the algae fix and beneficial bacteria. I will need to re-pot some I am sure. Nobody ever said a pond was workfree!! I am so sick of winter that it almost sounds like fun!! MW
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2011
7:34 PM

Post #8470107

My pond for now. House is now on the market and hopefully the new owners will enjoy and take care of it.

Thumbnail by BeaHive

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8470674

BeaHive - your pictures are always so beautiful. Who is your helper? She is a sweetie. Are you going to have a pond at the new place?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 4, 2011
9:00 AM

Post #8471052

I agree. Your pond is absolutely beautiful. so natural looking. I can see some of the stuff in the pond are in pots. I always debate on which pots to try. Which will look less obtrusive since there is no real way to hide them. Maybe I should give up on the black ones (they grow algae like mad) and use the terra cotta looking plastic ones. Yours look just fine.
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8471426

The little girl is a neighbor and likes to come visit the fish once in a while. She was afraid of them at first but now she lets them "nibble" and her finger tips. I do hope to have another pond at my new place if the budget allows. Will not know until this place sells.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8471443

BeaHive - please keep us posted.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 4, 2011
12:22 PM

Post #8471469

I will keep my fingers crossed for you to get a good sales price. You just HAVE to have another pond.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8471497

Beahive-where and why r u moving (I hope u don't mind me asking)? I couldn't bear to leave that pond of your-it's gorgeous!!!!! Your home will sell to someone like minded who will do anything to own your little piece of backyard heaven. Make sure you show seasonal pictures of the yard and sun up and sunset and leave them out on display for the open houses. Some people might get "frightened away" by what they fear is too complicated and a lot of work to maintain-consider a simplified "how to pond" seasonal showing what needs to be done (keep it on the simple easy side . . . lol . . .okay, lie a little. . .lol).
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 4, 2011
12:35 PM

Post #8471501

Anyone who keeps a pond garden with fish and plants just loves to work on their hobby. No way to maintain one properly without a little (lot) of elbow grease. but that is part of the fun; tweeking and improving...
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8471812

My main motivation for moving is to get less house/more land and have enough $$ in the bank to finish getting my youngest through college. My MLS ad has a few seasonal pictures and even one of my frogs. I have some of the greeting cards w/ my photo's I make in a basket free for the visitors to take a few after a tour to remember the house by. My gardens have been the selling point of my past two homes but this one is over the top for most " non gardening" people and having a pond is not great for those with small children. It will have to be for someone who loves gardening as much as I do. I have faith that they are out there somewhere. Just wish they would hurry up and buy the home so I can get cracking on my new garden. I divided all my plants last summer and fall and I have about 300 potted plants just waiting to get their roots into their new home!! I hope to take some of the Koi with me to and hold them in a watering trough for a while. Wish I could round up the frogs too.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 4, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8471869

what a job you have coming. I have wondered what I would do if we had to move. I would hire someone to dig up my tree peonies I swear, before I would leave them. Plus I wonder if it is kosher to dig up plants and take them. I guess if you tell buyers that you will be taking a great part of the garden with you...not too good a selling point. I can see why you split yours last year and potted part up. Great planning. but I can see you would fret as they need to get into their own dirt soon.
mwhit
Tiffin, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8472229

mstella, you are a gardener after my own heart! My tree peonies would be the first thing on the truck!!

Doing your digging and dividing before marketing your house is a great idea, Beahive. The buyer will never miss what they didn't see in the gardens and it is just a new application of the old advice to de-clutter everything before selling! Your pond is beautiful.

This is a great thread for sharing all your great ponds! Thanks, MW

Thumbnail by mwhit

BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8472334

Yeah I am glad I thought of it last summer. I had so many divisions as I was a year behind due to back problems I even sent a bunch to my SIL for her garden and have plenty left for the new owners. I wish I could have dug my daff's and tulips...but they will have to stay and they are making the yard look real cute now. Did get pieces of my bearded Iris, daylilies,hellebores and peonies and even dug up a few rose bushes & hydrangeas.(expensive to replace) Hostas were giving me a hard time so those will stay. I have plenty to get a new garden started soon. Yeah!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
1:15 AM

Post #8472846

Beahive-r u willing to install a nice fence around the pond for someone with small children? Perhaps include that in writing somewhere. Small children aren't small forever . . . My kids and their friends love my pond and are forever throwing GI Joe and occasionally a Barbie down the waterfalls through the stream into the "pirahhna pit". New kids to my pond will play for hours and hours . . . Even the dogs love the stream-they run up and down it like crazy men!
newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

April 5, 2011
2:46 AM

Post #8472885

SLP! Love the plants, is that typha minima? Can u mail me some water hyacinth (kidding its illegal here). But what I wanted to say is hello, I lived near Beech Daily and Ford road most of my life. How is Dbn. Hts. these days...Crestwood HS, time flies.
C
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8473034

I can't put any more $$ into this house. I put in new blinds & carpet already and my listing price is already 70+K less than I have in the house. Like I said this housing market is aweful!!! Stainless steel Washer & Dryer negotiable. Haha!
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8474503

lol . . . well, good luck to you and when the right buyer comes along (like us people reading this thread . . .) you will sell your house!!!!
pondlove
Lewes, DE

April 6, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8476189

Here's a photo of my pond about 2 years ago. If it would stop raining in Delaware, maybe I could finish cleaning it out for the spring. I'm starting to feel waterlogged!

Thumbnail by pondlove

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2011
12:12 PM

Post #8476207

PL -

very nice. I love the woods in the back of your property too.

do you have fish?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8476242

PL, how many gallons is your pond. It is really very pretty. Looks like it would be easy (if there is such a thing in the pond gardening/fish world) to maintain.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America