Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Soil and Composting: Mites in my compost

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 2, Views: 31
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
spottedturtle
Summerville, SC

March 29, 2011
4:37 PM

Post #8459025

I have a homemade turnable compost barrel with redworms. It makes beautiful compost from casings, food scraps and yard debris. Approx. one week ago, zillions of tiny, fast moving, white mites showed up in the barrel. Are they a problem for the worms or plants? What are they? Can they be non-toxically "dispatched". Thanks, Spotted Turtle, Summerville, SC

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8460086

spottedturtle - White mites? I'm not familiar with them. Are you sure they are mites? How big are they? Most mites that I'm familiar with cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Perhaps you have white ants - see this link:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5150865_kill-white-ants.html

I'm not sure if there are such things as white ants, or if they are termites. Some people call termites white ants.
Carl114
Oceanside, CA

April 3, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8468536

Hi SpottedTurtle, I'm new a this site but I' checking it all out.

Saw your post about the mites, I've had them in compost/trash leaf piles here is San Diego.Please send a picture so I can see if yours are the same.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America