Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Fruits: Bats Eating Papaya Leaves

Communities > Forums > Tropical Fruits
bookmark
Forum: Tropical FruitsReplies: 0, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RioGTomlin
Cayos Cochinos
Honduras
(Zone 11)

March 29, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8459199

I live on a small island on the north coast of Honduras (Cayos Cochinos). We have an excellent zone 11 climate and can grow many heat-loving plants without problems, as long as we prepare a good soil. We have begun a small farm with many fruit trees, some fruits, and some vegetables. Our papaya trees took off and grew rapidly and began producing promising fruits. Unfortunately:

Once the fruits settled in, a horde of bats that live on the island swooped in and decimated EVERY leaf on over 75 papaya trees! They were in close proximity in a small valley, but every leaf was gone. The fruits were stunted as the plants used all energy to making new leaves. The leaves have re-grown over the past two months, but I am fearful of another sweep and having all leaves gone again.

Does anybody know of any methods to discourage the bats from eating the papaya leaves? I heard garlic may help, but am not sure how to use it or if it will work at all. I would like to avoid any chemicals or pesticides, as the rest of our crop is fertilizer and spray free! Thank you!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America