-
AuthorContent
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8460292

With all this rain I am wondering if I should be concerned about radioactive rain. With our government’s historic proclivity for outright prevarication and down playing disasters it seems to me that I might want to get a Geiger counter.

They keep saying 1,000 millisieverts per hour. Well folks, 1,000 millisieverts is 1 Sievert. The Sievert is the derived unit of dose equivalent radiation. So if the news is saying 1,000 millisieverts an hour that’s 1 sievert an hour. By saying millisievert it appears they are trying to downplay the danger in my opinion.

Here are some examples from Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sievert) for 1 dose benchmarks:

Symptoms of acute radiation (dose received within one day):

0 – 0.25 Sv (0 – 250 mSv): None

0.25 – 1 Sv (250 – 1000 mSv): Some people feel nausea and loss of appetite; bone marrow, lymph nodes, spleen damaged. (emphasis mine)

1 – 3 Sv (1000 – 3000 mSv): Mild to severe nausea, loss of appetite, infection; more severe bone marrow, lymph node, spleen damage; recovery probable, not assured.

3 – 6 Sv (3000 – 6000 mSv): Severe nausea, loss of appetite; hemorrhaging, infection, diarrhea, peeling of skin, sterility; death if untreated.

6 – 10 Sv (6000 – 10000 mSv): Above symptoms plus central nervous system impairment; death expected.

Above 10 Sv (10000 mSv): Incapacitation and death.

Hourly dose examples

Average individual background radiation dose: 0.23μSv/hr (0.00023mSv/hr); 0.17μSv/hr for Australians, 0.34μSv/hr for Americans

Highest reported level during Fukushima accident: 1000 mSv/hr

I’ve searching like crazy to see if I could find a site that would let me know how much radiation is falling in my area, like they have for earthquakes with no luck .. So here’s the thing. I’m going to keep an eagle eye out in my garden for odd, deformed or just not right plants from now on and do my very best not to get rained on.

How bout you? Are you afraid of the rain?

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8460384

Nope
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8460446

Japan is a long ways a way from us I would not worry at all. There is always radation around .
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8460500

I guess you missed the report that radiation from Japan has already reached the east coast of America.

Japan Radiation Penetrates USA
http://www.politicolnews.com/japan-radiation-penetrates-usa/

Japan radiation was found yesterday in Massachusetts rainwater and has travelled at total of 6,498.181 miles. This announcement comes after only 16 days after the earthquake and the cracks in the reactors caused by or before the earthquake of March 11, 2011 ... The scientists here are omitting the fact that the human body accumulates radiation and does not expel the material. If a person is exposed to radiation they have it for life and that is a fact that most governments are ignoring in Japan’s disastrous nuclear program...Scientists insist this radiation is not harmful but people that lived through Chernobyl know better and fully experienced that 1986 nuclear disaster. The damage is for a 100 years or more not just a few years and still today readings of radiation in Norway’s fish which is far away from Chernobyl are high. Norway’s testing shows the fish only live half as long as they used to before Chernobyl...
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8460879

The point is even if the raindrops were glowing fuchia and emitting high pitch shrieks, What are you going to do about it? confine yourself to a lead lined cell and import drinking water from the moon? There is no benefit in fretting about things beyond our control.
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8461656

You certainly do have a valid point there .. but I think my days of playing in the rain will be a fond memory for now.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8461666

well I bet you won't be lifting your face to the sky in the rain now X - valid points on both sides with the most important one to me being the govt always downplays anything that would cause mass worry/hysteria...until they 'have' to.. then it's so sugarcoated we believe everything is A-ok...interesting...thanks for relaying the info you've read thus far X...
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2011
9:52 PM

Post #8461802

OK...

EPA: Radioactive Iodine-131 levels in PA & MA rainwater “exceed maximum contaminant level permitted in drinking water”

http://enenews.com/alert-epa-radioactive-iodine-131-levels-in-rainwater-exceed-maximum-contaminant-level-permitted-in-drinking-water

And there are already reports coming in about radiation in milk in Washington State.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8462096

Hey, because of some sketchy past practices at the Savannah River Site we have tritium in our drinking water and I am not glowing - yet.

cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 31, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8462148

I did see that broadcast on the news but again, what can you do. They have been talking acid rain and global warming for years and most of us aren't dead yet. What I'm worried about is how cold it's been- I want to get my beans and squash in the ground before the real heat starts. Susan
Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8462284

I think the whole point here is .. stay out of the rain and definitely do not let children or old folks like me go skipping through rain puddles. God only knows what it may do to food crops.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
1:45 PM

Post #8463105

Facts are Japan is a friend directly across from China who isn't. Radioactive material is being blown into the atmosphere from the Japanese reactors. Nothing can be done so the US government isn't going to say anything. For those of you that are old enough they use to blow up atomic bombs above ground out West and huge hydrogen bombs in the Pacific, the older generation all has little parts of those projects literally in them.

Yes most likely you will eat some food or drink something that has a little bit of Japan in it.

What to do about it????

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8463624

don't mind me, just lurking tonight. i know that radiation is everywhere already so, no, i don't worry at all. in fact, i walked the dogs in the rain this evening...no getting around it. as far as the milk is concerned, it would be interesting to see if they test the milk for radiation on a regular basis and how much different is it now then a month ago.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8463632

big brother loves apathy...just saying :(
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

March 31, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8463776

Totally agree with your insight, rdnyr! Also understand the opposite insight ("Panic" is a very useful political tool, and has always been used by the politicians to manipulate the populace). Guess where that leaves us? I think the expression "SOOL" is the first thing that springs to mind... I suggest the only legitimate recourse to normal human beings is to do the only thing that's worked in the the past. Ignore them. Do what WE think is right...and continue to do it until THEY get it...
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 31, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8463865

You're right Stono - but every since GE Alfalfa was whisked thru I have truly lost faith that anyone in a position to truly watch out for the simple man/woman doesn't give a flying fig any more...I'm sure it's been that way for a long time...perhaps I've just worn rose colored glasses way too long...but apparently the older I get the more jaded I am becoming...here's to 1/2 a century this year LOL...it's made me older and a tad bit wiser...
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8464029

I'm not big on genetically altered anything. You can never account for all the variables and who knows what you just unleashed. Even natural plants and wild life can get out of hand very quickly if you put them some where they're not supposed to be. Those jumping carp come to mind, good idea gone really badly wrong.

For those not familiar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb8OmEr7VqI
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 1, 2011
3:55 AM

Post #8464334

LOL Core :) Heirloom seeds will become a 'thing' of the past over the next generation with GE's on the market...the cross pollinization will see to that...that's one of the truly sad things about the whole GE issue - I may not be able to tell farmer joe not to feed his cattle GE alfalfa, but I don't think Monsanto should be able to force my plants to be hybridized and cross poll. with theirs...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America