-
AuthorContent

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 30, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8460703

I've tried three times...each time this plant looks at me petulantly, refusing to grow, dropping leaf after leaf and then dying. I have many other begonias, I'm worried that Ohio summers are too warm and moist--should I keep it indoors? I almost bought a Benitochiba at Baker's Acres in Alexandria, Ohio, but I thought after three that I killed, it's akin to just murdering the poor thing. I can't keep Escargot alive to save my life, either.

Any ideas on what to do? TIA
hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8460880

Okay, first of all Escargot is probably the worst begonia out there for anyone to grow (looks great but is a real prima donna). If you must grow it put it under glass and hope for the best.

Next, Benitochiba can be easy at times or quite a pain at other times. I don't believe warm humid air is the problem (I have a feeling we are a lot hotter and muggier here than in Ohio) and it grows like a weed outdoors here. The problem (like a lot of begonias) is getting it through the winter months. Benitochiba will usually defoliate in winter so don't despair and think it needs water and lots of TLC. It doesn't. Cut back on water when you see this happen (don't let it get completely dry though - water sparingly). When you start seeing new growth then start watering again on a more regular schedule. It may still drop leaves and grow some new ones as a lot of rexes do in winter. Finally when it warms enough to move it outdoors, then place it in a shaded area and watch it take off.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 31, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8462511

Thank you...I will give it another try this year, maybe I gave up on it too soon when it defoliated.

And yes, it's a whole lot more hot and humid there, lol. I remember Ft. Benning, oh my.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Begonias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Here's my begonia collection flowerjunkie 106 Feb 10, 2009 2:27 PM
Tuberous Begonias? Woofens 25 Feb 29, 2008 8:05 PM
BEGONIA sticky links begoniacrazii 37 Jun 8, 2007 6:11 PM
Talking about polka dots................. Kell 35 Feb 16, 2008 8:31 PM
Begonia Dead? Wvdaisy 13 Apr 12, 2007 3:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America