-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 30, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8460793

Good morning everyone. I thought I had better move us today instead of the first of the month tomorrow.. Being 1 April, not a good day to do things like that.
I am off shopping today so wont linger here. Just long enough to put out some lovely nibbles for you all. I hope I can find an orphan today. see you all later.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 30, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8460817

We came from here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1165338/
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

March 30, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8461081

Good morning everyone. It's a beautiful morning here so hope it stays the same all day. Have opened a couple of pressies and cards but will let you know later what was in them. Am expecting a cousin from Canberra to drop in today. Haven't seen him since we were kids so we will have a lot of catching up to do. Better get moving as just because it's my birthday it doesn't mean that I've nothing to do. Will be back later. Everyone have a wonderful day. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

March 30, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8461153

Jean, what a glorious Autumn scene. Such colours!

Colleen, enjoy your cousin's visit. I hope you have a fantastic day.

That goes for everyone else too. I'll be outta here soon to take advantage of a break in the rain to get to the shops.

Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 30, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8461228

Hope you have a happy day Colleen filled with smiles and surprises.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

gardengal
se qld
Australia

March 30, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8461354

Elaine and Colleen, happy birthday to you both.

Have a great day all.

Pam
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

March 30, 2011
9:10 PM

Post #8461757

hello all,''work work work'' makes anthony a dull boy!!!-its nearly the weekend
77sunset
Merino
Australia

March 31, 2011
1:34 PM

Post #8463084

Good morning everyone. Still dark so the day could be anything out there. Temperature is 5C.
Yesterday was forecast to be cold and overcast. Turned out to be a lovely day for shopping. Lots of sun and blue sky.
I saw some orphans but nothing I really wanted to bring home. There were several large magnolias but I dont have the room for the very big ones. Lots of daisies which I already have plenty of, so I came home empty handed.
I am pleased to see that all my German epi seeds are up and looking good on top of the fridge. They will live there until Spring when they graduate to the greenhouse. I havent moved my bromeliads. I decided that its easier to go out and tip the rain off the plastic roof than move them all. They will be no colder there than in their previous place.
My brugs are reaching the top of the shadecloth now so there will be several haircuts later in Spring.
Lots of green shoots popping up around the garden and I see more Haemanthus . The trees are starting to show more color and the weeds are doing well.
Hello Anthony. Have you been working hard lately ? My liliums are just now losing the rest of their stems. I will move a couple of the different colors into pots for my potted lilium corner
How is Cocky going ? . Saw some pics of the Melbourne Flower show yesterday. Beautiful.
Hello Pam and Jean/moon, Elaine and Colleen.
Hello to everyone else out there.
Chrissy, Dianne, Teresa.
Hello Louise and Charleen too. I hope you are all looking forward to a lovely weekend.
Here we are in April already. Start getting the Christmas decorations out again, Once Easter is over , its downhill to Christmas.
Enjoy your gardens and try this Carrot and Walnut Loaf. .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 31, 2011
4:57 PM

Post #8463559

Can't believe it's April !
Into the 4th month already ...fast forward is switched on somewhere isn't it.
Jean when you give your Brugs a hair cut be careful because if you cut before a Y is formed it's a problem.
The ones up to the roof if they haven't Y'd yet may need to go outside somewhere.
I am talking about seedlings of course.

Time to get ready for Easter I guess.
I do look forward to a hot cross bun ...you can keep the chocolate though.
I miss hiding eggs for the little ones to find,it's not the same without that ... is it.
While most of the World celebrates Easter in Spring we have it in Autumn when things are starting to shut down for Winter instead of new beginnings in the overseas gardens.
In Italy and places like that it is the Celebration of new life as the many farm animals give birth and mushrooms appear everywhere after months of ice/snow.
So we miss out on those things,
however
I think of Autumn as a kind gentle season ... a harvest festival sort of time (if the season has been good) ...the freshening nights and mornings whisper to us of some respite from the many chores we usually have to do in hotter times.
April is usually a beautiful month wherever we live on the Globe.

I hope everyone has a lovely April Fool's day :) watch out for those Gottcha !!! moments won't you ?
and enjoy your day.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 31, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8463584

Good morning everyone!
Yes Chrissy... we are getting old very quickly. I too can't believe how quickly the months have gone.

Yesterday I went to the local gardening shop and purchased a bit of fertilizer, fungerside, etc and it cost over $50. I still have to purchase more potting mix and bark. This gardening is an expensive hobby. OH well I guess it's better then putting my money into the poker machines.

Weekend here already. Friday is house cleaning day and I have to visit mother in the Nursing Home, a church afternoon tea to go to tomorrow, visit the grandboys so I guess I will not get any gardening done before Monday.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 31, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8463591

I have a craze on purchasing Anthuriums at the moment.
If you have any for sale I would be interested in buying ones I don't have.

Anthurium in flower

Miss Pamela

This message was edited Mar 31, 2011 8:14 PM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2011 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 31, 2011
5:16 PM

Post #8463605

Anthurium Artic Snow

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

March 31, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8463607

Small yellow one.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
9:24 PM

Post #8464152

Why Chrissy, I do believe you've a bit of the poet in your soul...Grin

Those anthuriums are lovely Marleneann.

Jean, have you ever tried adding a bit of grated sweet potato and zucchini to your Carrot walnut loaf?
My daughter worries about her two little ones getting enough veggies in their diet, so while I was there in Brisbane last summer we went through and revamped some of her recipes to include a vegetable when possible. we subbed 1/2 of the carrots called for with the potatoes and zucchini, finely grated. The grandsons didn't even notice the difference and my SIL thought it had a "lovely moist texture even without frosting".

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 31, 2011
10:49 PM

Post #8464198

Moonhowl look at this I am about 90% veggie so I make a lot of veggie recipes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM7qFj9tQkU
I do hope that link works but if it does not, go google Indian recipes using besan flour (chick pea flour ) it's a delicious and healthy way to get children to eat their veggies.
Adjust the spices to your taste.

Poet ...no just older ...I come from the days when you read a lot of books done in poetic style ...before TV.
It was drummed into us at school to be descriptive in our words.
I still get carried away with descriptive talk, probably too much in this era of cyber speak where everyone talks short hand .

Marleneann they are lovely but I can't get mine to do anything here due to cold in the Winter.

How are the birthday girls recovering?
Anthony it's Friday mate ...relax a bit ok.
Enjoy your evening everyone.
Weekend dead ahead.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 1, 2011
1:24 AM

Post #8464244

I had to laugh this morning, apparently it is non pc to have an Easter egg hunt...
it has to be a Spring Egg hunt - obviously Northern Hemisphere - and this is so non Christians are not offended...
but what is funny to me is that the egg hunt was a pagan celebration subverted by the church in the first place.
So full circle it goes...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 1, 2011
1:26 AM

Post #8464246

im 'chillin out' dude!!!--early start,.,.,.early finish,.,.,.early opening of the 1st 4xxxx,.,.early to bed,..,,..,tomorrows a mystery!!!!! Dalfyre,the more we ponder the situation,the more confused we get.,.,,.,..its like trying to get some sense out of the govt[here i go]-goodnight everyone!!!

This message was edited Apr 1, 2011 3:30 PM
Tanzen
Brisbane
Australia

April 1, 2011
3:58 AM

Post #8464336

Hi all and some Happy Birthdays too!
I really like that white Anthurium.
Were there still some Black bat plant seeds left? I read somebody had some. How big do they have to be before they flower?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8464387

Thank you Chrissy. One of my DH's coworkers, Mahendra, gave me a number of vegetable based recipes to take with me. We tried a couple, but, Aidan,4 and Ethan 15 months (last summer) weren't quite ready. DD Jan has been trying to introduce a "new food" a couple times a month.I will send her this link as this looks like something they just might like. GRIN As kids, we were required to read 1 hour for every hour spent watching TV. I will always be grateful to my Mom for that...not that there was much to watch back in the 50's-60's anyway. Grin

As are so many Christian rites Teresa...I have to laugh when I read stories of that nature, then shake my head at the foolishness of some folks
. This link has some interesting info regarding this 2nd major religious holy day.

http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn63/easter.htm

Hope you all have a pleasant weekend

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 1, 2011
1:21 PM

Post #8465284

Tanzen wrote:Hi all and some Happy Birthdays too!
I really like that white Anthurium.
Were there still some Black bat plant seeds left? I read somebody had some. How big do they have to be before they flower?

Pod's still ripening Tanzen.. They should flower from around the time they're three years old.

Morning all!

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 1, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8465397

Good morning everyone. Its really getting into autumn her now. Cold mornings with the sun deciding to appear from the clouds around lunchtime with little warmth. I love all the colors though and the bulbs that appear from nowhere.
I started moving some of my mulch yesterday. I had to open the heap a little anyway as it was getting a bit warm in the centre. You will see many haystack fires from this same excess heat where bales are stacked too soon .
Its amazing how much heat a pile of just mulch can generate.
Jean/moon. that was a very interesting and informative link there. Isnt it funny how people will blindly follow tradition even when its pointed out to mean nothing like it is supposed to. ?
I'm all for Easter egg hunts for kids , whatever the meaning . Life is to be enjoyed not spoilt by PC people. Let the kids have their childhood fun . They are forced to grow up far too quickly these days.
I love my vegetables and used to get my kids to eat as many as they would like. My youngest son hated them but now hes an adult he eats lots.
I have substituted in many recipes . I like zucchini and pineapple in my carrot cakes and also in things like pumpkin bread etc.
One can use a bit of imagination in most recipes , but some are afraid to try, simply following a recipe perfectly. Half the fun in cooking is to see what you can do yourself , adapting basic recipes.
Hello Anthony. Would you believe there is a small lilium longiflorum that has come up next to the old one and it has a bud
Gave me a surprise when I saw it.
Hello Chrissy, Marlene, Teresa, Tanzen and anyone else there.
Hello Louise and Charleen. I may have to come over for your lovely Spring and Summer while it gets cold here.
Pats for the girls and Charley.
I had better move and do something domestic . I have the little heater on under the desk here and it gets too nice to move. .
Have a great weekend and enjoy your gardens.
Taste some of this yummy German Chocolate Cake with your cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8465470

I stumbled across that while researching some other things. I have always said organized religion took over pagan holidays so they could fill the pews...but that is just my random thoughts on it...Grin

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

This native Louisiana Iris, Fulva, bloomed yesterday

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 1, 2011
3:07 PM

Post #8465478

Hello and good morning all. The weekend is here, yeah! I'm looking forward to a lazy one, though we are hoping to go to the bromeliad show at Downey Park tomorrow. That is if Barry can walk. He's had an attack of gout. If not, well, maybe next time.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend, and that we see more sunshine than rain. Jean, a bit cool here this morning but will probably warm up again when the rain stops. Sunshine at the moment, but showers are predicted. Had a downpour yesterday while I was on the bus. The creek was normal when we went over it, but had broken over its banks when I came back two hours later. The heavens really opened and dropped their load in that short time. To make the trip even duller, the driver flew through raging water across the road way too fast, sending water over the roof, and bus parts got wet and the bus broke down. Lovely! It really was his fault, driving like a lunatic.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 1, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8465508

Good morning everyone. Firstly I would like to say thank you for all the birthday wishes. I had a wonderful day. I haven't got my camera yet as John couldn't find what i wanted up here. Probably be about another week now but that's neither here nor there. We had a wonderful roast with chocolate mud cake with sparkler candles on. Absolutely perfect weather, so pottered around in the SH and out the front most of the day. John has gone home now. I wish he lived closer. sigh. My cousin is on his way to Adelaide today so will call in for a cuppa on the way. He is going to fly to Perth on Monday and then fly back to Adelaide and travel up through the centre of SA. He's got 4 weeks off so is certainly cramming something into every minute. Well, the dirty clothes don't stop just because I'm 60 so had better go and do some washing. Thank you all again. Will be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8465598

Glad you had a great time colleen ...nice to be spoilt.

So here in my garden not a lot going on but many leaves commencing to drop silently in the winds and rain.
Here the banana trees will show the damage from the awful weather ...the hail really tore them up and the wind has ripped what has remained,
The poor dear things still fruiting right of the second floor balcony.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8465604

Same applies to the Persimmon trees ...torn up pretty badly but still fruiting their heads off ...hundreds of them.
Here help yourself ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8465665

re Easter yes it was a bit of a shamozzle really ...Rome ruled the Jewish people but compromised on the festivals and rituals to keep the peace. Since Christ was arrested and sentenced to be executed during that time ... they were given a choice of saving one person from his fate by the Roman Governor .
Because they were occupied by Rome the people were resentful and wanted someone to fight the invaders.
They saw Jesus as a man of peace, not of war ...hence the choice of Barabbus a man of violence was freed.
This is to explain why Easter and Christianity is linked.
This was what we were taught as children.
Well ...lots to do ...best be off and do it.
I hope everyone enjoys their weekend and don't forget day light saving ends whoo hoo (in our region anyway) tonight.
Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8465940

Well ... it took some time but it appears I have found my way back! :)
I am being treated for an online game addiction ... seems I have been spending way too much time killing pixels!
Good to see plenty of familiar faces.

I have been in the garden maintaining, rather than constructing. Weeding at Sussex is a full time job now .. I am winning thanks to sugar cane mulch.
Shadehouse built, irrigation working well ... I switch between bore and tanks .. a few new gardens dug! No more possum problems so no winter nights on the roof .. geez I miss those weird nights! (NOT!!!)

How has everyone been here? Anyhooooo ... will be around a bit more often .. (is the plan)
Cheers
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 1, 2011
6:54 PM

Post #8465960

Hi Steve, glad to see you back in here. Been a bit strange with only one bloke's contributions. not to say that Anthony hasn't kept us amused. You've been absent for quite a while. How are all the geraniums and hippies going? Colleen
Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8466027

Hey Colleen!
Yes .. Anthony is only half a bloke anyway! ;)

The geraniums are going great! The sticky cuttings you gave me are all over the place! Is a fun plant!
The broms are doing well and the Hippies do their thing!

I noticed as I wound my way through that we lost Brian ... I am truly sorry for your loss.

I will try to keep up .. to represent the 'fairer sex' ha ha ... have missed you guys!

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 1, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8466061

themoonhowl wrote:Thank you Chrissy. One of my DH's coworkers, Mahendra, gave me a number of vegetable based recipes to take with me. We tried a couple, but, Aidan,4 and Ethan 15 months (last summer) weren't quite ready. DD Jan has been trying to introduce a "new food" a couple times a month.I will send her this link as this looks like something they just might like. GRIN As kids, we were required to read 1 hour for every hour spent watching TV. I will always be grateful to my Mom for that...not that there was much to watch back in the 50's-60's anyway. Grin

As are so many Christian rites Teresa...I have to laugh when I read stories of that nature, then shake my head at the foolishness of some folks
. This link has some interesting info regarding this 2nd major religious holy day.

http://www.gnmagazine.org/issues/gn63/easter.htm

Hope you all have a pleasant weekend

That rose is just beautiful...do you know the name of it? Thanks

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8466095

Hi Marleneann. That rose is Rosa 'Gemini'. and it lives up to its' name...it is as mercurial as the sign...grin. The description says pink, cream and coral and the first flush of blooms was indeed tri-colored. Subsequent blooms have all been different with varying shades of the original. This DG link shows the variety of bloom colors. It is a cross between Rosa Anne Morrow Lindbergh and Rosa New Year

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64673/

http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/gardening/PD/30511/
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 1, 2011
8:52 PM

Post #8466170

Steve!!-if i was a "full bloke"-would that mean i would weigh in at 200 kg,..,glad to see you finally got out of your bondage!!!!!!! I have been in the seed vortex's today,creating some order and sanity[if possible] in a confined space,seeing what i have got and havnt got,.,.pulling up weeds,a bit of fertilising/mulching and top dressing,.,.[all necessary in lily growing-did the same to the daffodil boxes too!it looks quite good out there!!i know ive said it once already,but i must lift some bulbs soon,.,.god'what a job'-still have to locate some ,''theyre here somewhere''! my spine told me i had done enough for today ,'well,before 4xxxx time',. Jean,that lily species has a tendancy to do that, just snip the bud off to give the bulb extra size for next year.,.i have 2 big seed pods on mine,'crossed with Medusa',actually,i've planted a lot of my own 'seed crosses' this year,..,,.,.., Hope everyones happy and well and enjoying the weekend-anthony

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
9:16 PM

Post #8466199

Hey ya Anthony! Still in bondage actually! Quite enjoy it! ;)
Great to see the Lillies and 4xxxx again! Strange mix ... but hey ... if it works for you! Would like to get some of those lillies one day ... when Tas becomes part of Australia!
Here's cheers big ears :) eeeek ... time to mow before beer-o-clock!
Later
Steve
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 1, 2011
10:26 PM

Post #8466250

Hello Steve. Great to see you back in civilisation here. well , as civilised as we can be anyway. You can keep Anthony from being swamped by we females.
Been out moving some of that lovely mulch. I had to confess to hubby that although I really really appreciate his thinking of me when he saw the chaps making the mulch, I dont need that large pile. After all these years, the garden has sort of grown over all the bare spaces where I wanted mulch. He was very good about it and offered to help me move some where I do want a bit and we'll spread the rest out around the garage and sheds where the ground gets slippery when wet.
Anthony you have been a busy boy. dont overdo it though. I will go out and snip that bud off my lilium.
I have to get down to the fern house and clean up my zantedeschias now they are done. Only one flower this year, They are a big disappointment as I was sold the wrong colors in the first place. They only flowered the first year so I'll get rid of them, I much prefer the liliums which are most reliable.
Better get back to the mulch moving for another hour or so.
Been a fine day after a cold and showery start.
Jean.
Tanzen
Brisbane
Australia

April 1, 2011
11:57 PM

Post #8466278

Thanks Gardengal. I have a 2yr black bat plant recently acquired from Paradise distributors. I also have seeds for the Giant bat plant. it would be lovely to get some of both to germinate.
My Dragonfruit is going crazy and the war is on between me and the wildlife for the fruit. We harvested 5kg of fruit this morning...yum! I can't wait for my red one to grow large enough to bear fruit, thats the best one I think.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2011 11:02 PM

Thumbnail by Tanzen

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 2, 2011
1:56 AM

Post #8466307

Hi Steve - nice to see you back.
My brother has a t'shirt you might find amusing...
has ' I see dead pixels' on it

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 2, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8466483

Hi Steve ...we have missed your adventures.
poor Anthony has been surrounded by women here in the tea room, he is a brave fellow I think.
Have you retired to Sussex Inlet now ???
Anthony ...you have company again mate, I bet the beer will be gone from the fridge in the morning.

Jean what a shame ...mine bloomed very well perhaps they need the sun ...mine bloomed much better once I scattered them outside, they self seed and there are masses of them coming up. I just call them coloured calla lillies -zantedeschias are a mouthful and they were always called calla lillies while I was growing up.

Moonhowl the Gemini rose is lovely.

Tanzen good to hear you are enjoying your Dragon Fruit ...I am a great believer in growing our own food.
Do you grow any other fruits?

Well I hope you remember to wind your clocks back tonight ...where applicable.
Enjoy that extra hour tomorrow morning, who will really stay in bed that extra hour I wonder.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 2, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8467213

Ah yes, the old online games can be a bit adictive Steve, question is, are you winning?

Congratulation to all you southerners who have finally gotten around to losing daylight saving again, for a few weeks, at least. It really does seem they've gotten a bit extreme with the start and finish dates now.

Jean, if you have a look at the base of your liliums you will probably find tiny little baby bulbs growing from the stem. These can be gently removed and planted out and will grow to flowering size in a couple of years.

In the process of putting on the new kitchen benchtop this weekend. Lots of fun and games. The kitchen has been in the process of remodelling for a couple of years now so it will be nice to actually have a real benchtop.

Enjoy what's left of the weekend, all.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 2, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8467294

Good morning everyone. I do like coming in and seeing what you have all been up to. It is lovely to get up when its daylight instead of pitch black. I dont mind in the summer . A lovely day yesterday after the cold start and similar today.
Chrissy, I may take your advice and simply throw those callas around outside near the liliums. Maybe they will learn how to flower from them.
Pam, I have lots of those little lilium bulblets and am going to pot some to keep near the back door. I wont remove many as I want the liliums to make nice clumps. . I will have a nice potted lot to move around and lots in the garden the.
Anthony, you will have Steve now to keep you from being outnumbered by all the ladies. How are you getting on with your lilium potting ? The vortex will be overflowing. Good luck with those crosses of your own.
Hello Jean/moon, Pam, Karen and Colleen. Also Teresa and Elaine.
Tanzen, I tried growing dragon fruit just for the curiosity value but its way too cold here . The plants grow quite well then simply rot away in the cold. I still have pieces there which are quite green hanging on dry bits of stems. I wont bother again . They are far more fussy about the cold than my epis.
Hello Louise. It wont be long before you are back in NH. The girls will love getting to know the smells all over again. Oops , that didnt sound right. I do mean nice smells.
Charleen, I hope you are also enjoying some lovely spring weather in your garden.
I am going to be spreading the rest of the mulch today, so had better get out and do the washing first.
Have a great day and get out in those gardens.
Chocolate and Rum Truffles as a nice treat for the fellas. Ladies you may also take one or two if they leave any.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 2, 2011
2:39 PM

Post #8467297

Good morning. A lovely morning here. We are going to the Brom. show and sale today. I am really looking forward to it. Hoping to get some new tillandsias to help fill up my Till. Wall, which is starting to look interesting already. Will take a while as many plants are needed, but it is fun adding to it when I can.

Barry mowed yesterday, and I did a little bit more branch trimming. Will take a long time, but we'll get this place tamed one day. Maybe.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

Karen

A bit of fungus on one of the trees...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 2, 2011
3:12 PM

Post #8467323

Good morning everyone. Another lovely morning and we have an extra hour to play with. The monthly markets are on here today, so will take the boys down for a while. They don't have great plant stalls like you ladies get but sometimes I pick up something I haven't got. The boys love it because they get a free fruit box and helium balloon. I usually manage to find a DVD or tape that they haven't seen too. The whole street is blocked off so the boys can walk around safely. I love the fungi Karen. I have some bright orange fungi out the front on an old paperbark stump. It's been there for ages. It reminds me of fairies. I should set all my gnomes up around it with their gnome door that Brian made for me. It's in the SH at the moment but I'm the only person that sees it there, as it's right down the back with the rainwater tank. Something to think about anyway, lol as if I haven't got enough. I have a pink calla lily that had died off in a pot. I poked a piece of geranium in the same pot and then planted the geranium out the front. Got the shock of my life when I saw it happily flowering out there among the large geranium. I'll leave it there because it seems happy enough. Has anyone got any Veltheimia bulbs?. I have quite a few although they haven't flowered for me here, I haven't had them long. I was looking at a catalogue the other day and they want $15 for one bulb. I'm rich. lol It would be very interesting to see how much we have spent in our gardens. I was given a Zanzibar cardboard palm for my birthday. Hope I don't kill this one with kindness. They apparently don't need much water and I had mine in the SH so was kept quite damp so will treat this one differently. Maybe I should put it up the back with the cacti. You should see the pups that I've got on the cacti. The garden that I have the larger ones in has almost doubled in size this season. I think that I will have to knock some of the tops of so they don't get too high, although that will spoil the effect. Will have to think hard about that one. The pine nettles are making a mess in the pots. I think that I will have to get the blowvac out and clean them up.lol. Can you just see me out there with the blowvac.? Well I think that I have waffled on long enough. Had better go and do something before we go to the markets. Be back later. Colleen

This message was edited Apr 3, 2011 7:59 AM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 2, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8467641

morning all,.,.ive been to the market and purchased another green [lily show]square glass bottle,.i do have enough already,but [i cant stop].i have a lingering 'sinusy/head cold happening[not 4xxxx related],sore eyes for about 4 days,.what about ''THE NAVY BLUES''-?whoo! what a punishment opener for the SUNS!!!!!-ah well,-old chinese proverb!''honour your oponent,without him,you have no glory'',.Jean,the zantedeshias are tempremental and will flower when they want to,.,.i have a heap of lilac ones that have dceided to seed up this year,.,.Chrissy,the fridge is like 'the magic pudding' ,full again this morning-i'll try and empty it this arvo,.,.-anthony

Thumbnail by g_whizz

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 2, 2011
6:13 PM

Post #8467674

Oh no!...just got home from church and its raining cats and dogs. Looks like I will not get into the garden this afternoon.

Karen..how was the Brom Show? I heard it advertised on Annette McFarlane garden show on Saturday morning. Did you buy any plants? ...Now that's a silly question!

Back later as I have to prepare lunch.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 2, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8467679

i think its about to rain [bigtime] here as well SW'erly ,very black ,.,.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 2, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8467961

Hello again. Yes, went to the brom show. Actually it was brom heaven. Didn't do too much damage, but wish I could have. Got some tillandsias. No broms. There were just waaaay too many I wanted. But talked with some nice people and loved sharing talk on our purchases. The new venue was so much bigger and more comfortable than the Mt. Cootha auditorium. In all, a most pleasant morning.

Karen
A display from the show...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

April 2, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8468010

I like that! I see dead pixels in my sleep now!!
Am winning Pam .. is a bit of fun and much like here ... you meet like-minded people from all over the world!
Hi Chrissy!! No .. not retired to Sussex yet .. am backing out of the business to buy me some life! Potting up Brugs this arvo! (still have some more seed too)
Great to see all here!!
Noticed my tilandsias flowering nicely, Karen. Have them scattered around the garden.

Gotta go .. the Currawongs are pooping on the washing!

Steve
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 2, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8468047

Karen love the display pic. What are the pink ones on the left. Might have to put them on the wish list. lol. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 2, 2011
9:33 PM

Post #8468070

Welcome back Steve, how are the Budgies?...Did any of your seedling Brugs flower?

Anthony, I can't comment on the performance of the Blues, it was a slaughter...I felt so sorry for the" Suns.''
My Cats won yesterday and my Dons will win today...Just wait till Essendon play the Blues, I always love those games...

My Calla lilies are temperamental too, Jean...Lovely when they flower though.
The little Superb wrens are taking over my garden, which is lovely...I managed to get a picture at last..they are so active..
In the pic you can see the little tail wagging like crazy...I had to use the Zoom and the house across the road looks very close.
Footy is about to start.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2011
12:21 AM

Post #8468156

Colleen, the pinkish spotted bromeliads are billbergias, but I don't know what one specifically. I have Hallelujah which is similar but darker pink. There are a few variations around.

Steve, I am really hooked on tillandsias. But so far I only have 23 varieties. It is fun collecting them. Rarely see currawongs here but have seen them in some areas.

Anthony, hope you are still dry there, and didn't get washed away.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2011
2:24 AM

Post #8468172

Colleen you were asking about the Bombax tree ...this is a lovely video showing birds visiting the blooms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGis6pGMIao&feature=related
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 3, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8469430

Good morning everyone.. the sun is shining. Its so nice to get up when its daylight now. I am definitely going to be out in the sun today as there is no cold wind. I need to move the mulch before the rain gets here eventually.. Lots of trimming to do too. I toss all my cut pieces down the back of the trees where I cant see them and they slowly rot down. Lots of things growing down there from the bits too.
My chrysanthemums are all full of buds. I did lose a lot last year but hopefully the rest are the very pretty ones. They have done really well and look nice among the roses.
My grasses are all getting bigger so in Spring the grass and kniphofia garden will look lovely , especially when the liliums come up among them.
Elaine, you will be pleased to know that the allemanda from your seed is up to the top of the shadehouse now . It never blinked an eye in all the cold last winter .
Chrissy, I have thrown lots of seeds around from my 4 oçlocks. Its funny but from all the seed you sent , only one plant came up ( a yellow with pink patches) . The other 4 plants are all from the one parent which grew here on its own long before I put any other seeds out. They are always bright pink and nice large rounded plants. I have heaps of new echium (pride of madeira) coming up again. I planted last years self sown seedlings everywhere and now I have all these from the pile of dead flower heads I forgot to move. One of the older plants out the front is putting up flowers. Poor confused thing.
Dianne, those blue wrens are so lovely. We had lots here but over the last few years they have disappeared. Now we only see a few.
Karen, I love my tillandsias too. I only have about 12 so a way to go to catch up to you. They are so easy to care for and dont use much room ( so far ).
Steve are we going to see any projects going on this year. I hope the table is being treated nicely.
Anthony. what a beautiful photo of the liliums. I may put my zantedeschias out near the liliums to show them how to flower. They are not taking up any further space in the fernhouse. Out they go into the garden. Hopefully they will survive and flower. I'm sticking to the reliable liliums. .
Hello Colleen. I was given a veltheimia but I have never seen a flower in 5 years. It grows well, but thats about all. Still, it does look nice. Your winter hippie is up and doing well. Cant wait to see a flower.
Hello to everyone else. Pam, Teresa, Charleen and Louise.
Have a happy gardening day and enjoy some of this Hummingbird Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 3, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8469737

I have spent a productive morning trimming back plants, pulling out weeds & dead heading roses & penstemons.
I ripped out masses of alyssum that was past it, plenty of seed spread around so I won't be without it come spring.
I moved some tiny Flanders poppy seedlings, hoping they survive & give me a nice display - the have been slowly increasing since Mum gave me one plant - I try to spread the seed around but until this year haven't had that much luck.
When I had removed all the alyssum I found my two little phormium Jack Spratt have been doing ok & look quite nice.
It was one plant but I managed to divide it.
Once these two get a bit bigger I will do that again, I think they will look good all along the edge of my driveway garden.
I also found a little lost dog & managed to reunite him with his owner.
I should have taken a photo, he was a sweetie (maybe bichon/maltese mix)
& very friendly which was lucky for both of us as he came to me on the street & let me pick him up & carry him home so I could ring the number on his tag.
Copper was not impressed & the cat intitially ran over to see what I had then disappeared out the window in disgust.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 3, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8469930

Teresa, your drive looks lovely. Your moonflower is so tall. My pink moonflower has disappeared but the white is flowering in patches.
Showery rain here now just when I thought the day would nice for outside work. Oh well, gives me time to get back into the genealogy.
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 3, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8470236

I have the Japanese anemone in white as well, I have been trying to get it to grow in my woodland corner, I think it would look nice in under the trees where it would have a bit more space than under the camellia where it is a bit cramped.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 3, 2011
10:05 PM

Post #8470322

Yes, Teresa...your drive looks very pretty...How are your Rhodos, full of buds I hope...
Nice of you to rescue the dog...That would be one happy owner.

It's family tree time for me in the cold weather, Jean...Can't wait to see what colours the Chrissies you sent are...I bought 2 Salvias to replace the Navaho Blue, couldn't get the Blue at the moment so I bought Navaho Rose and Heatwave Glitter...how are those names..a dark and light pink...very pretty.

Our local Nursery won the best in it's class again nationwide..so there will be some champagne again soon...

This Fuschia is a pretty one.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 3, 2011
11:28 PM

Post #8470390

I love the fucshias Dianne, but there again, they are another easy to grow plant that just gives up here for some unknown reason.
They look healthy for a while then slowly die.. Even those in shelter. I have gone from around 30 to start 8 years ago, with to now about 6 . I keep them in the fern house ..
I have the odd plant around the garden that also just gives up. Sometimes just one branch sometimes the whole plant, branch by branch. I lost a very large golden wattle, numerous hebes, grevilleas and more . All the azaleas went ,along with a camellia. Cant be the soil either as other plants of the same sort survive well. I even tried all the azaleas in pots in potting mix. Same thing happened.
Just as well most plants survive whatever it is. Not a disease that I can find. If I cut the dead branch off the plant will often survive . Affected plants can take months to die depending on their size. The poor wattle took a couple of years , branch by branch. The other golden wattle is still going strong right next to where its mate was.
. No, its not me with the Roundup because that would kill the whole plant .
Another one of those garden mysteries.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 4, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8470411

Mum used to empty the tea pot on the soil around our fuschia it looked just like that one, it grew there happily for as long as I can remember. That was sandy soil only ten minute walk to Brighten Beach.
So since tea is acidic and sand is well draining ...there may be a clue in that. Never knew what a frost was there though.
Wattles are often short lived and it might just get too cold there. Mind you if it's just here and there maybe curl grubs gobbling up the roots.
Gosh my 4óclocks are triffids ...seeds germinate every where, maybe this strain is more tropical ...don't worry mine will seed all over for you and you will get all different colours from those babies.

Lovely driveway shot Teresa. I hope things are settling down a bit for you over there.

Loving the pretty little blue wrens ...have you seen their nest? the size of an eggcup.
Hubby looking for food ...bye for now :)
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 4, 2011
12:50 AM

Post #8470420

well I thought the shocks had eased & then we had one at 12.30am that woke me & another this afternoon that rattled the house & woke the Copper from his sound sleep beside me on the couch.
At least the garden grows on, completely unaffected by the shakes.
I am very lucky - many on the East side had their gardens buried under liquefaction.
Or had to flee their houses & were unable to tend their gardens in the weeks that followed.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

April 4, 2011
12:53 AM

Post #8470421

Have not been in for a few days just not as well as I would like to be hate when I cannot move around and do things .
looks like might be a rest in hospital if infection and breathing does not improve .
big wave to every one be back soon .-----------elaine.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 4, 2011
1:39 AM

Post #8470426

Elaine sorry to hear that you're not too well again. Take care. Hi everyone. Have been busy again today, Shopping day for me and bill-paying day. Doesn't leave you with much to do anything else with. My son John's daughter turns 18 on Wednesday. Doesn't the time go fast. I can still see her being born. What do you buy a girl who has everything. Something to treasure I think. There's been a lot of chat going on in the Brug site. I have been reading, just not posting too much. Dianne, I have 4 American brugs that are growing nicely. They're about 18" high now and into 8" pots, so should be okay for the winter in them. Hopefully we get flowers by spring. Still have about 30 broms to repot. It certainly takes some time doesn't it? Have a pile of washing there again, but nothing important so don't have to hurry and get it done. Do any of you girls grow Rhodendrums, azaeleas?, Maybe Anthony might have some because they grow really well in Tassie. Well must go, shower time for the boys. The sun has gone down after another beautiful day. Be back later. Colleen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 4, 2011
1:57 AM

Post #8470430

yes ! i have rhodos and azaleas here,[nothing to be proud of] but theyre here,.,.Dianne ,dons lost!,i should of backed the swans,im kicking myself,.,.i only scored 5,. i have limited fucshias,but i do have [inherited] that one.,.3 loads to 'the huon' tomorrow,i better hit the sack!!!-anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 4, 2011
2:43 AM

Post #8470444

I have more camellias than rhodos, only three of those.
One we planted last year has put on good growth but I have no idea how long before we see flowers.
The small white one I have I grew from a cutting & it took a long time to increase in size & flower.
The big pink one I have is pretty tough, initially it was under the shade of a huge silver birch but since I had that cut down about 10 years ago the rhodie has been in full sun.
I have had to cut it back quite hard to stop it encroaching onto the footpath but it thrived on that treatment.
I thought it was ironic that the council sent me a nasty letter about cutting back over hanging foliage when I had already taken care of it.
And on the walk that Copper & I take we often have to dodge hugely overgrown trees & shrubs.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 4, 2011
3:00 AM

Post #8470455

That's lovely Dalfyre.I had a pale pink one once about 30 years ago. They don't like it here very much. You have to keep them in pots in acid soil. They are really lovely though. Might try one again one day. lol Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 4, 2011
9:43 AM

Post #8471173

Anthony, the Dons didn't lose..that was an optical illusion...lol
Some very hard games coming up...I had 5 too.

I have some Rhodos and Azaleas, Colleen...they struggle a bit at first, then they zoom away...they have to get used to the sea breezes.
I am very pleased that you have had luck with those seeds...as if you needed any more now..

Jean, I have a Rhodo that does just that, every now and then a branch will die...off it comes and the plant seems happy...I love the deciduous
Azaleas too, but there is not any more room...they grow fairly tall and some have a lovely perfume...much tougher than the evergreen ones.
They looked so pretty in my last garden under Silver Birches...

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 4, 2011
1:59 PM

Post #8471687

Good morning everyone. Elaine, hope you are feeling better soon. Rest up, not much else you can do. Teresa, those aftershocks must wear on you. Hope Copper is handling them much better now.

I only have one azalea and one camellia. The azalea is Red Wings, and it is a plant that loves to flower. It could be 20 to 30 years old now. I planted it so long ago, I don't remember.

Karen
An older pic of my Red Wings azalea...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 4, 2011
2:08 PM

Post #8471727

my azaleas were el cheapo buys - all labelled Azalea indica, apart from one that I suspect is the same type but I dug it up & brought it with me from my previous house, there were a couple of lovely azaleas & a stunning purple rhodie there.
I was trying to get cuttings of the rhodie by layering but I don't know if it worked...
I left quite a few things behind when I left my ex, but it was worth it to end up where I have, nice house, gardens I can play around with to my hearts content & best of all a wonderful husband who came along a year after I moved here.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 4, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8471808

Good morning everyone. Very dull outside but hubby says we are supposed to get warmer weather this week. I did manage to get most of the mulch moved with hubbys help . The misty rain only lasted until around 10 am. The magpies are going to be annoyed with me moving the heap as they have been like a mob of kids with it. They run up and down thinking its a great play area. I had to keep stopping with the wheelbarrow as one or two of the maggies kept hopping over wanting me to turn over a log . They just love it when I do and they get a feed of all the creatures under it.
There are black millipedes everywhere still. I hope they disappear soon. I find the darn things in the bath even.
Chrissy , I think my plants with the odd dead bits are just one of the mysteries of the garden. There are no plant rules here as far as I can see. Plants that usually last for only a few years will go on for ever while others will just die. I gave up on the acid loving azaleas etc , but oddly , I still have 3 camellias and a rhodie. The rhodie was an orphan I found late last year and lives in a pot ( looking lovely too)
One camellia is the beautiful "Donation" It does well and is full of buds at the moment. It is only around 4' tall but healthy, the other two are sasanquas, one dwarf in a pot and one in the garden. Doing well too.
Its a funny thing, gardening. I cannot get mother in laws tongue to survive here and geraniums turn turtle at the drop of a hat. (except the ivy geraniums which thrive) . All very weird, but isnt that the fun of gardening ?
Hello Elaine, keep resting and take care of yourself.
Anthony, saw a lovely new lilium yesterday and thought of you. It is "Dimension"
Hello Teresa. Your plants must be very used to growing in shaky ground by now. I hope those tremors soon fade away. It would be disconcerting to be woken by them again. Copper must be getting very nervy , poor thing.
Hello Dianne. Those deciduous azaleas are beautiful . The most beautiful display I have ever seen of them was when I lived in Bright. A lady had a long hedge of them along her front yard. Magnificent color every year.
Pam, thats a lovely azalea. I do miss mine. Living in Bright , one just had to grow all the azaleas , rhodies etc. It is a place they just grow huge and thrive. What a pity we can never take all our gardens with us when moving.
Hello Colleen. My cacti are looking well and growing well too. I have the special one of Brians own just near the table where we sit outside. It has definitely grown at least an inch.
Hello Karen, Marlene and musnt forget Steve too.
Hello Charleen. how is Charley going ? I thought of you the other day when we saw a little donkey in the paddock on the way to town. Hubby thought I was funny when I said , Charleen would love that fellow.
Hello Louise. moving day is near. I hope you have great travel weather and find all is well when you arrive in NH.
cuddles for the girls.
I'm off to see whats going on outside.
Have a happy day everyone.
Try this Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 4, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8471898

77sunset wrote:

Pam, thats a lovely azalea. I do miss mine.

That would be Karen's azalea, not mine, Jean.

I thought I'd managed to kill my mobile phone yesterday. As I mentioned previously, we're in the process of replacing the benchtop in the kitchen.

The kitchen is a funny shape to start, with part of one wall going off at an angle, so it's your basic box, with a wall that flares out partway along. On that wall, someone with incredibly good taste (not) had roughly knocked together an excuse of sorts for a pantry cupboard, using packing crates. The same person, the previous owner, had done things like painting one room dark purple, another in raspberry (including the ceiling) and attempted to create a rainwater drainage system that had caused incredible erosion on the sloping block, to the extent that sections had actually collapsed, and a huge big gum tree had been undercut by about 5 metres - there was basically a 'cave' in under the poor tree.

Anyway, back to the kitchen. The 'pantry cupboard' was ripped out a couple of years ago and new floor cupboards built and others moved around to open up the kitchen and make it more practical. Hubby announced that he wanted to make the doors and benchtop, so after 2 years (don't laugh, girls) I'm finally getting a benchtop again. He HAS done a good job, you just can't rush these things.

So in the process of sanding and wiping down the timber benchtops in preparation for staining and sealing, the phone fell out of my pocket into the bucket of hot soapy water. I didn't think I had a hope of saving it but after a day pulled apart and buried in rice, it's working fine. phew! I don't have doors on my kitchen cupboards, but I do have a working phone. lol

Well, the day awaits. Have a good one all. Elaine, get better soon.

Pam

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 4, 2011
5:15 PM

Post #8472156

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-earthquake/videos/4842655

cctv footage from the quake - just illustrates how strongly we felt it, I had to crouch down & hang on to a wall at home & we weren't nearly as badly hit here.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 5, 2011
2:41 PM

Post #8474257

Good morning everyone.. The sun is shining in the window and it looks like being a lovely day as was yesterday. I am feeling a bit achy after moving nearly half the mulch pile. Hubby helped a bit . I have it on the garden patches where I want it and the rest is being spread to help cover the paths and drive so I dont slip in the wet.
I have also started tidying the iris beds. Not as bad with weeds as this time last year despite the extra rain. I use my home made chipper to get the larger weeds out and everything gets piled along the path between every second row. This makes it easy for me as I can just toss the weeds without having to walk back down each row to the end with the weeds. It also acts as a mulch which stops further weeds on those paths. All the dead iris leaves come off and go there too. I have set myself to do at least 4 rows each day. I have never seen such strong growth on the irises as I had with all the extra spring showers. So many new shoots on each
Anthony, your iris is doing well.
I went mad and bought some dwarf canna seeds from Thailand. I had some a few years ago which did well and sold at the local market. These ones I will keep in pots to go among the Pacific Coast iris.
Has anyone tried the peat pots yet ? I bought some on eBay quite a while ago but I see they are now available in garden shops .
I have 3 sizes which are great for starting seeds and cuttings. Simply plant the whole pot.
Hello Teresa, that video on the earthquake does show how scary it was.
Hello Karen ( sorry I had the wrong azalea owner) , Elaine, Chrissy, Colleen and Dianne.
Pam, I hope your kitchen ends up just as you want it. Sounds like hard work but fun to get things rearranged.
Hello Charleen and Louise, too. I am off to get some sun and I hope you all have a perfect day too.
Enjoy your gardens and also this Chocolate Heart Cake.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 5, 2011
3:25 PM

Post #8474364

Good morning everyone. Jean I haven't forgotten your cannas. Just been really busy but will pull my pots out today and see which colours I have for you. It's been beautiful weather here too Jean. My boys break up for the holidays next Wednesday. One term gone already. Still lots of yabbies around so will have to get out there and get a feed. Branden absolutely loves them but Cameren would rather see how big their claws are and examine them. He does eat a few claws. My sister is coming up in the holidays with her twin G/sons to do some yabbying too. The boys will love that. We will show them how to do it with a piece of string and a dab-net. That will test their patience. A great way to spend a day though and then you get a feed at the end. yum. Elaine I hope that you're feeling a lot better. You rest and take care. Are those peat pots the Jiffy pots Jean? I find that the netting around the outside takes ages to rot away, but they are very good to raise seeds because you don't have to disturb the little plants to pot them up or put in the garden. Well had better move and get the boys ready. Be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 5, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8474368

Drizzling here ...coldish.
They say we will have this for a few days.
I managed to get a few spurts of weeding done yesterday, oh gosh it's getting out of hand a bit.
The sun felt so good on my back ...much friendlier in Autumn. Got up to about 23 C.
Hopefully this drop in night temps will slow them down a bit.

Elaine I hope you are feeling a bit better, I think you tend to overdo things a bit, I understand the rush to do those things when you feel well, but you need to go just a bit slower to be kind to your body.

Teresa that video is terrifying and the building just fell down so quickly how could anyone get out in time.
Just way too too tragic.

Pam renovating is such a drama and eats the dollars like a starving beast. I hope you love it when you are finished.

Good luck with your mini cannas Jean ...nice plants. I think everyone likes cannas, they grow like mad here ...the clay soil holds the water that they thrive in. The red one you sent years ago just loves it here and is very beautiful, I have dwarfs too, lots of bloom without chewing up the space.

I am glad the thingy isn't throwing me off today ...yesterday I lost many posts but there were telstra problems all over the place, so maybe the puter is innocent.
I must get ready for the nurse so it's a big wave to everyone and see you later, hopefully after the drizzling stops.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 5, 2011
3:41 PM

Post #8474394

Glorious morning here...
Bought S. hot lips. yesterday Jean, I really like that little one...
I had a little Gentiana in the garden, now I can't find it...looks like Ray is in trouble again because it was near the Romneya...it was a G.scabra..Shin Krishna...a beautiful blue...
Jean, do you mean the little Jiffy peat pots...I use those on the Brugs...then I feel guilty because they take the peat from the Peat bogs and they are supposedly destroying them...
Sometimes I think that life has become one long Guilt Trip...

Have to tidy my iris too, this is the only time that I am glad that I don't have as many as you...lol

Your new kitchen is sounding great, Pam...that's a clever idea with the rice...I had heard of it but didn't know of anyone who tried it.
Scary,Teresa.
Took this pic at night, the Mondo grasses look like many legged black spiders...I took out the Butterfly bushes, they grew too tall.
I thought that the combo of Nandina and Mondo would be interesting...I have to move the scruffy Lavender too.
Enjoy your day everyone.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 5, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8474494

Colleen and Dianne, the pots I am talking about are actually pots. I tried those flat peat thingies and dont like them for the same reason you said, Colleen. The net outside takes simply ages to rot. I bought a couple of plants once that had been grown in them because you could still see the darn thing around the roots. I often think thats why those plants died. The roots couldnt get out properly.
No the ones I am using now are proper pots . Not exactly sure of the material used but I like them. You just fill them with mix and plant The whole thing just rots away gradually and completely. I have some clivias going well in them . I will be putting more seeds in later.
Heres a quick pic of the pots. Some come with drain holes, some dont, but its easy to make holes with scissors etc.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 5, 2011
5:33 PM

Post #8474631

Morning all. Dianne, the rice works a treat. I fell into the dam while trying to do a bit of planting around the edge, with the previous phone in my pocket and did the rice thing with that one too. When the battery on that one eventually started to get tired I donated it to a friend whose hubby needed it for work (the one they gave him, the battery was dying in just a couple of hours) and it's still going strong apart from needing to be plugged in each night. It was the same friend who had told me about the rice. She'd actually dropped hers in the loo (clean, fortunately) and rescued it successfully with rice too. I don't think I'd have fancied having to fish it out though. lol

Jean, I bought some of the peat pots a couple of years ago, but haven't gotten around to using them ye -they're sitting in the shed. I think they should be great for seedlings and cuttings though, particularly those that resent being moved. The one thing I think you'd need to watch for is that any section of the pot that is above the soil once you planted it out , that it didn't wick moisture out of the soil. I think I'd be inclined to cut it down to soil level once planted. The tendency for this to happen might be influenced by climate and soil type a bit I think.

Well the bench tops are in and stained, and the fourth and final coat of sealer put on. They look fantastic. Next week, hopefully the tiling. We'll have visitors staying though, so that remains to be seen.

We're off for a few days tomorrow to central NSW for our little grand daughter's christening. We break the trip overnight, so it's down tomorrow and friday for the big event on Saturday, return Sunday and monday (with a 9 month old baby for the 17 hour trip ...yay) then hubby is back to work early in the week. Baby and mum will be visiting for a few weeks, so I don't know how much will really get done in that time, but we can live in hope.

Have a great day all.

Pam

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 6, 2011
2:47 AM

Post #8475295

Jean,i havnt tried 'peat pots' yet,but i swear by the use of peat in seedling growing its like' sprinkle on,'gold.Im buying 30 kg bags for 7 and a half dollars,..,this is the 1st year ive used it,but the difference is '''AMAZING'''..,.,.hoping to get many new seeds from my 'cubits' lily friends in a few months,.,.they have some'unbelievable ' lilies.Dianne,im still backing Carlton this weekend!!! and Essendon gets a strike out with the pen as well,..,anthony

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 6, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8475306

Hello everyone!

Tried working in the garden today but it showered and was very messy.

I think I might go to the Buderim Garden Club meeting on Friday. Maybe I will become a member again. I was a member about ten years ago but gave it away when I was President of the local Orchid Society. They have a guest talking about subtropical plants.

I am really into Anthuriums at the moment.
Here is the latest one I purchased.

A. Kaumana

Thumbnail by Marleneann

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2011
12:51 PM

Post #8476282

Good morning everyone. I've been a bit quiet as my shoulder has been quite painful. Maybe I shouldn't be trying to cut tree branches back just yet, but it is more frustrating doing nothing at all. Have been referred to an orthopaedic doctor, but could be many months before I get in to see him. Apparently these things can last 18 months plus, and never fully recover. I think I could cope though if there was no pain.

So not very much being done this week. The garden waste bag is overflowing though, so we must have done some good on the weekend. The postman can get to the letterbox readily now too. Progress!

Have a lovely day.
Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 6, 2011
2:30 PM

Post #8476438

Good morning everyone. A beautiful day yesterday and maybe again today. I always have the urge to be outside when its like this but I think I may join Karen in resting my shoulder.
I too, did a damage early last year. It took months to ease and being right handed with the pain in the right shoulder is very frustrating. I eventually got used to the background ache and was able to get going again. I may have overdone things yesterday , in spreading more mulch with the rake. Take care Karen. it may be annoying being on the sidelines but your shoulder will tell you when you can get back to something like normal. Believe me, it will never be really normal. I think arthritis just sits around waiting for we silly humans to damage a body part so it can step right in.
Anthony, I have been using those "peat" bricks you can buy in the cheapie shops like Reject shop. I find you get a bucket of the stuff after soaking a brick. It may not be pure but it certainly does a good job. I mix it with my potting mix and also use it just mixed with perlite for starting brug seeds. Once you have your bucket full it can sit around for ages if you are not using it all at once.
Marlene, beautiful flower color there. I have one plain white one. It was an orphan years ago in Target. I never was quite sure what sort of plant it was until it flowered this year. A pity the bugs got to the flower , but they are quite nice to look at.
Pam you are right about the pots being below the soil surface. I find that most plants dont mind being planted a little lower in the ground than the pot level, so the pot top is covered. I usually ignore a lot of the "advice" given on some garden places as I have planted even large plants deeper than they were in the pot. I find it gives them a bit of sun protection, having about a 1/2 inch of extra soil over them. Of course, there will always be exceptions to that. But here, with me, it all about trial and error.
Hello Chrissy, Teresa, Colleen and Elaine.
Hello too Charleen and Louise.
I'm off to enjoy the sun and NOT move mulch today. I have lots of little jobs I can do instead.
Try these Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti.
happy gardening,
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 6, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8476856

Just checking to see if anyone knows where brical (judy) is?
I haven't seemn her on the forum for some time and I wanted to contact her about an Oleander

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 6, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8477257

Hi Marleneann and everyone ...running late because I have been fiddling with this thingy.
Judy's suburb went under in the floods ...she is ok though because Colleen rang her up and all was safe there, however the last I heard from our very much missed Judy was that she was getting rid of a lot of her garden.
I hope she is ok too ... sometimes life takes over.
Hopefully we will hear something probably next Spring when the garden has been re arranged.

Not much happening here right now ...leaves floating down all over, it gets very slippery with these showers.
I think the weather plays up with joint pain, my brother is feeling it and I am sure anyone with wear and tear in the joints is feeling it too as these storm clouds just roll in or hover.
I hope all those sore backs and shoulders feel better soon.

Here is something to brighten your day ...I hope it works.
This is bought to you by the Ice Age people and is the story of the last macaw (male) sent to rio to make baby macaws.
If you love birds you will love it.
If the link does not work look for Rio on you tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucLyQyKTjCo&feature=player_embedded

Enjoy ...see you all in a bit.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2011
9:18 PM

Post #8477462

Anthony, you are a brave man, Collingwood will be out to crush Carlton...I wish you all the best...Rule out Essendon? no way...
Lovely Anthurium, Marlene...A friend of mine used to have a shadehouse full of the red ones...she was a wizz with them...

Good tip re the peat pots, Pam and Jean...I found that if they aren't planted deeply enough, they actually rise up above the soil level and dry out very quickly...that happened with my first use of them.

Went down for a coffee on the beach this morning and watched the high school kids learning how to cast in the surf...
What a good life they have...

Rio looks like a good movie, Chrissy, we saw Lincoln Lawyer yesterday...not bad...the book is better though.
Silky has a thing about the bathroom...she is always in the bath. Especially when I want to water the African Violets and Orchids.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 7, 2011
2:04 AM

Post #8477562

lovely,busy 'work' day here today,..,25*,..,watered everything when i came home.,.seedlings are loving this weather!!!!i went ballistic with the pyrethrum spray afterwards,and wore out the squirter plunger,.Marleanne,Barry Davidson is our club president at Claremont,a fine orchid grower, and i think hes a member of many clubs,..,Dianne,[brave or smart]?there are always serious ''twists'' in afl games,[tanking and rigging] carlton did it for many years to get some draft picks.--anthony

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 4:07 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 7, 2011
3:32 AM

Post #8477600

haven't any current pics but hopefully this works for you because it's so pretty
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=146626175401920&set=a.146626038735267.32214.100001636154010&theater

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8477918

Chrissy, can't see your picture unless you are a FB account holder...it requires log-in to view.

Hope you are all well and reasonably content this fine day. This La native Iris is blooming now. It is called Fulva

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 7, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8477988

oh sorry I know some folk are on FB here and some are not.
Sorry everyone who is not able to see ...it's worth going on FB just to see all the wonderful things happening in different places and the gardens etc.
I hated it at first but have learned to love it (lots of my family are travellers) so I am able to keep up with them.
Lots of people remain very private ...so if people are shy it's a way of keeping just being able to meet up ,with old acquaintances, friends and family ...like mini blogs.
Yawning here...g'night everyone.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 7, 2011
2:03 PM

Post #8478743

Good morning world. Cold and wet here. Had to drag out my winter jammies.

Chrissy, I am on FB so I could see the beautiful pic, but I must admit, I don't know how to find things on it, so don't see anything outside my friends' circle. How do you find groups, like garden groups, on FB?

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 7, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8478785

Cool morning here too ...nurse coming- back later ...Karen I have d mailed you re facebook :)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 7, 2011
2:47 PM

Post #8478842

Good morning everyone. Another lovely warm day like yesterday . I am working my way down the iris beds , weeding and tidying. It isnt hard at the moment as the clover is not growing too much. The Roundup will be out later in the year to combat that. I have so many new shoots on the irises. I am hoping for a really good flower season , but that will depend on what the weather does from now on.
Lots of buds on the brugs and nerines popping up everywhere. There are still a few very late naked ladies out there too.
I have lots of baby epis coming up in the mini greenhouses in the lounge room. They are from imported seed so will be something not available here . Talking of epis, if anyone would like a few babies from my cross of Tambourine and Andromeda, let me know. I have lots just sitting under the benches. They will grow fairly quickly once potted but I have enough for myself.
I have been having lovely feeds of berries from vines given to me by a cousin. They are producing well and will have a new proper fence to grow on next season. I want to put in some blackberries but have been told that the thornless ones available are not as tasty.
Anyone tried them at all ? I could get some of the wild ones but that may be asking for trouble as they spread underground.
Hello Anthony. Glad you had some lovely weather down there too. Makes gardening a real pleasure.
Hello Chrissy. I keep off sites like Facebook . We have never been on the site but get junk mail asking us to be friends with people I have never heard of.
Its comfortable on DG, so I will just stay on here.
Hello Karen , Pam , Colleen, Elaine and Dianne.
Teresa, I hope the shakes in NZ are easing up now. I see poor Japan was hit yet again with what they are calling l an aftershock. I would call it another earthquake.
When you see the senseless loss of life caused by violence and car accidents etc, you would think people would treasure their lives after seeing what happens during a disaster where victims have to suffer shockingly.
Hello Charleen, I hope Charley is enjoying Spring and behaving himself.
Hello Louise. I do hope there is some Spring in the air around you too. Pats for the darling girls.
I am off outside to enjoy the sun.
Try these Chocolate Mint Brownies with your cuppa.
Happy gardening everyone.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 7, 2011
3:30 PM

Post #8478922

it is amazing that the Japan aftershock was as strong as our first major quake back in Sept.
The strange thing is that even when the magnitude is the same they can generate different amounts of force.
It all depends on which way the fault moves, vertically or horizontally.
Japan was a vertical lift which gave them that devastating tsunami, ours was horizontal.
Most of the damage here was caused by the shakes hitting faster than the buildings could drop back into place - so as the buildings came down they smacked into the ground on an upward surge - so the force was like a head on collision.
we just had almost 24 hours with out a shake then had a 4...
that isn't too bad, strong enough to let you know it is happening - I have been known to sleep through them but this one woke me.
when you get up to 4.5 & higher it starts being stressful as you can't help wondering if it is just the beginning of something worse.
Most of us thought Feb 22 was just another aftershock at first but once it started throwing things around & went on for a bit longer we knew it was a biggie even here in the North West which is further away from the epicentre.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 7, 2011
8:55 PM

Post #8479719

Good afternoon everyone. Jean have just been reading through your post and can answer first hand that the thornless Blackberries are NOT very tasty at all. I can send a rooted piece if you want to give them a try when I get your Cannas ready. Let me know. As for any Epis that need a new home. Yes please. They put on a beautiful show in the sh. Dalfyre I think I would have given up by now and moved. I can't imagine what stress you are going through. I just hope I never have to endure an earthquake. Beautiful day here again. Hope it stays like this for the school holidays. I hope everyone is feeling well and the sore shoulders are a bit better. Elaine hope you're resting. Must go have more washing to hang out as I had a crook little boy during the night. Oh boy I don't think it will matter how old I am, I'll never get use to the smell of vomit. Yukkkkkkk. He's home from school today but seems a bit better but still not himself. Better go and do something. be back later Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 7, 2011
9:14 PM

Post #8479747

Another beautiful day,
Thanks for the link Chrissy, the first pic that came up is of an Orchid that I have in the bathroom.
I must admit that I rarely go onto Facebook unless a link is put up.
I find that BGI and Dave's is time consuming enough.

Those berries sound great, Jean, but like you, I wouldn't touch the wild Blackberries with a 40 ft pole...delicious,but the trouble isn't worth it...haven't tried the others.
We had Blueberries at our last house, they are a pretty little bush and easy to grow.
Going outside to water the Brugs, now that the sun is off the pots...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 7, 2011
9:45 PM

Post #8479771

Colleen, yes please, I will try the blackberries as I do love berries.
I will send you some of the baby epis. . They are growing well in the dirt under the bench and I think they would do just as well if I had left them sitting on top of the ground. They are really just sitting in a bit of dirt and leftover potting mix. I would put them in individual small pots for a while until they outgrow them. Mine are in 3" pots. Since I potted them , they have put out multiple shoots.
Dianne I love your "puppy dogs". I used to annoy my Mum by playing with their little mouths all the time. I must admit to still doing it if I see any. Popping fuschia buds too. arent we all the same ?
I have just finished the last few rows of the iris beds. It is quite hot out in the sun , but the large trees shade a lot of the beds in the autumn & winter. . Watered all my brugs yesterday. Better go and have a cuppa and put my feet up.
Jean.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 8, 2011
1:45 AM

Post #8479893

chrissy,i had an FB back in the 80's..also had an EK wagon,.,.good cars,.,.another hot day here, my pumilum seeds have risen,and im very happy,.now if i can only persuade these colourful trumpets to get a wriggle on,i'll be ''extremely ''happy,..,another busy day at work,but its all over now,.,.4xxxx time and football-anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 8, 2011
4:37 AM

Post #8479996

Colleen they call NZ the Shaky Isles for good reason...
and if I moved to Aussie there are bush fires, cyclones, floods - and sometimes earth quakes - look at Newcastle.
No matter where you go mother Nature can hit you with a natural disaster.
And I am getting used to the whole earthquake lifestyle, it has become the new normal, I barely remember what it was like to not have tremors on a regular basis.
We are still on a boil water notice, but I am being careless at times & using tap water for cleaning my teeth - am very sure that our suburb has a clean water supply it is just easier for the CCC (ChCh City Council) to have a blanket warning on water safety.
We are also still using the 'if it's yellow let is mellow, if it's brown flush it down' rule for the loo.
Our sewer system is fine - but it links into systems that are severely compromised & if the treatment station becomes overloaded any more we will all pay the price.
So it is a strange world I live in, to all outward appearances everything is fine here...
it is what is down the road that affects how we live day to day.
I feel sorry for those living in the Eastern suburbs or who were resident in the inner city... their lives have been so badly impacted, and then when we see footage from Japan - well our little disaster pales in comparison.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 8, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8481025

Good morning everyone. We have been having some really lovely Autumn weather but I think a day of rain now would be very nice. It is forecast . I said to hubby that this year I have hardly watered at all, just the pots and a few plants that needed a drink. My roses are looking lovely in their third flush. . Lots of nerines still coming, the whites are always last. . I really must get out there and divide some of the clumps. they are quite large and sitting up above the soil, but flowering regardless.
My 2 small C. sasanquas are getting flowers and I have lots of buds on the C japonica and my rhodie.
I see also, lots of buds starting to open on the Chrysanthemums. Dianne, your roses do look lovely between them .
I found 2 more irises with buds.
I hope the kind of weather we have had since last winter, comes back again. Lots of mild days and showers. Makes the garden look beautiful. I must get another salvia as I see a place where I can fit one. There is one out there that doesnt look the best. It hasnt flowered yet even though it has grown to around 2 'high. It always seems limp when the sun is on it. I may move it to a shady spot and replace with another.
For some obscure reason, the pineapple sage does not do well here even though nearly all salvias do very well. I did have a large one a few years ago but it grew as an annual and died after flowering, I have tried others but they all die. A pity as I love that one.
I am looking for a salvia that I had growing in Bright. It was called pineapple sage but didnt grow as all the ones I have seen since. It had the same red flowers and a gorgeous pineapple smell , but instead of them being among the leaves on the stems of the plant , this one grew bushy and sent up long thin flowering stems that carried the flowers above the main plant. Very beautiful. .
Better get moving as I have the washing on and hubby said it will rain later. We had the very large moths banging on the windows last night so he may be right, as they usually come with the autumn rain. .
Hello Teresa, we have to get used to living with Mother Natures whims dont we ?
I can imagine ancient man thinking the Gods were angry when things happened back then.
They all tried to live with nature so as not to offend. Maybe modern man should learn that lesson .
Hello Anthony. Dianne, Colleen, Elaine, Pam and Karen.
Chrissy, BB is flowering again and GHA is a mass of blooms. Frosty is flowering also and the Iochromas.
Hello Louise and Charleen.
Better put out something nice for you all. Blueberry CoffeeCake.
Happy weekend.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2011
3:23 PM

Post #8481123

Dog Gone, I lost you all again. Guess I'll just be tracking you when I don't see you on my watch. don't know how I lost you. My seeing-eye mule ain't doing his job right.
Wonder why it takes so long for my mail to reach you Anthony??? I checked today but it is not telly me anything. So Charley is still in flight or being held up somewhere.
Hello, Everyone, I sure have missed you all. Let me see what I got in the garden.
My Peony is slowly fading and losing petals but still pretty. Sure lost it's coral color.
Hugs to all from and Charley sends nuzzles...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 8, 2011
4:44 PM

Post #8481306

Lovely Charleen.
Great to see you found us again. You will have to train Charley in tracking a bit better.
Its just started to rain here. Still warm and the rain held off so I could finish the bits of tidying I was doing outside. I am always amazed at how plants will creep around if left alone. My species geraniums love to creep around visiting other parts of the garden. some of the sprawling branches were over 10' long. They are very easy to remove though and just think of all those millions of seeds everywhere for next season. The Geranium maderense is also a very friendly one. Lots of new plants around but some had to come out so I toss everything down under the willow tree in hopes of getting things to grow there. I will have to find things to do inside today but I may get out in the greehouse later to plant some seeds.
Enjoy your day.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8481418

It is finally getting warm enough to put out some of my brugs. I have them in pots buried in the ground. Some surprizes I'm sure , one had a tag but the name had faded, I put it out front. It was a nice large clump of sticks. I have iris blooming. This little red one was one of the first. It is as cute as it looks.
Hugs, so glad to be back dear friend.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8481569

Hi everyone ...it's a champagne day out there, the kind we would like to bottle- so we could crack it open in the dark gloomy depths of Winter.
I LOVE Autumn!!!!!
These champagne days are pure treasure- the sky finally is bright blue, the sun is warm but not cruel, the earth itself is still full of life as the night temps start to turn into snuggle under the blanket time (yes finally I am pulling up the cover) and turn off the fan.
The mornings start to become misty with a promise of beautiful day to come.

I hope everyone is enjoying this Autumn interlude before the Brrrrrrr.
I love Winter 2nd because we can dream about the next growing season ...Summer hmmm (no comment),
Spring is just a a very short but so wanted and looked forward to.
Ok so Charleen there you are ...I hope you are loving your day, it sounds like it! get those Brug babies out into the Sun and stand back.

Jean I love those wanderers too trouble is the Kikuyu tens to mug everything in sight unless you get right onto it ^&%*$*.
The self seeders are very much appreciated here and some do actually shade out the triffid weeds.
Sage likes a tiny sprinkle of lime.
Please post those pretty Brug pics in the Brug thread because we like to compare the results in the different climates.

No chokos this year ...first time ever! that is how weird the temps have been ...much colder than usual but heavily humid due to constant cloud and storms. In twenty years living here I can't recall such strange things happening.
Three years ago everything bloomed through Winter.
Speaking of strange weather ...Teresa I think 2011 will go down as the worst year for Earth Quakes ever in our human history except for way way back in the beginning when Australia broke away from Africa.
A bit scary to think something like that could happen again ...who knows NZ may rise up and join Australia or the other way around. Take care and it's nice to see you still enjoying your garden.

Anthony you are a funny bloke ...yes FB holden :-)

Dianne I came across some wonderful You tube video telling us how to propagate Boges and Iochromas.
I don't know if I can post them here but I will try a bit later.

To everyone out there have a beaut day!

How is it going in your gardens?
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 8, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8481639

Well we have good news - the boil water notice has been lifted so tap water is safe to use again :)
Jean - the pineapple sage I have sounds like the one you are looking for - shame I can't send a cutting...
I am still trying to nurture it along, it is in a pot but I think needs to be in the garden - but figuring out where to put it.
I have been told that it can be invasive here so need to consider this carefully.
I think my herb garden is the best place as it is is a small contained bed on the terrace & if it gets out of hand I can dig it up & have lots to share.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8481844

hey good news Teresa ...That looks like Pineapple Sage ...they like very good drainage and sunshine.
here is the boge propagation video ...I am on broadband so it's quite fast for me but perhaps a bit slow for dial up ...I don't know/
it isn't going through facebook ...fingers crossed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D82pzJ8Cqo
I am going to try that- it's different to what I have been trying.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 8, 2011
8:33 PM

Post #8481870

Another on general propagation ...quite interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFL-jEkWSV8&feature=related
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2011
2:26 PM

Post #8483321

Good morning everyone. The sun is out and the wind has gone . Yesterday was showery all day but not overly cold. The wind is always what seems to make it colder here.
Before I forget and I hope I have the right day.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DIANNE.
If I have the wrong day, well have a great day anyway.
I am going to be getting my polybox ready today for the seeds of my own crosses of my bearded iris and some Pacific Coast iris seeds.
One thing about these is they grow very easily and quickly. I am also going to do abit more tidying around the garden now that autumn has really arrived. Lots of untidy plants laying around after self seeding . Lots of trimming to be done. Now that I have cut the flowering currant right back, I can get into the Abuitlons . They are almost like creepers where the branches have found there way through the other plants.
I found on that had not flowered before and it has the loveliest little lanterns. I must get a pic when it flowers again as the flowers on it now are pretty dead.
I found another salvia that I had forgotten about. It was an orphan which has struggled along in a small bed near the side of the house. It has a very pretty variegated leaf and I see a red flower opening. I must move it out by the others.
Hello to everyone out there, I hope you are all enjoying your weekend.
Dianne , just for you. and any other birthdays at this time. A very pretty all chocolate birthday cake.
Have a happy gardening day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 9, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8483329

Morning all. Chrissy, Gardening Australia did an article back in 2007 on bougainvilleas. The chap Jerry visited does his cuttings in branches, not tip cuttings. I was amazed! There is a fact sheet here, but it doesn't really go into the detail that was in the TV article:

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2014581.htm

From the factsheet:
Quoting:It’s easy to propagate bougainvilleas. Just select a nice straight trunk and Ray likes to take a fairly large piece. He suggests exposing the cambium tissue and then trims it around the edge. Then add some rooting powder or honey and put it straight into some propagating sand. Ray uses rough, washed river sand.

He thinks that in six months it will be ready to plant into the ground and will make an instant specimen.

Now is actually a really good time to do hardwood or semihardwood cuttings. I came accross a method several years ago somewhere in the web, that suggested simply popping some dampened sand in the bottom of a plastic shopping bag (the biodegradeable ones may not be the best for this) and then popping in your cuttings, about 10cm long, then simply tie the top of the bag and leave in a sheltered spot for a few weeks. Couldn't be easier. I tried it and had rooted cuttings, ready to be planted out in about a month.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 9, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8483336

Jean, the weather here has been spectacular over the past few days. You can keep your wind and rain. Autumn is by far the best time of the year here too Chrissy.

Jean do you have the abutilon with the bicolour flowers?

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8483397

Pam, I have white, peach, yellow, red, 2 different oranges and one very similar to the one on this link from cestrum, which I hope will open here, if not look on the 'flowering in april' thread for cestrums links to abutilon pics.
I love the plants as they are so forgiving. Mine do tend to get leggy but they have to grow through and around all the other plants. They were all cutting grown from a dear old lady now deceased. She did love her lanterns.
As I said above, I just found another that has finally flowered , similar also to this link. You will also see my variegated one along with cestrums on the other thread.
I must look for more of them. They are not readily available on the nurseries near here. I suppose people think of them as old fashioned.

http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_meg_sunset1.jpg

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8483482

Happy birthday Dianne
here are some pretty blooms and a happy birthday song to go with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrDfB94Njms

I hope you have a lovely day!

I do love the Lanterns too they root in water or just shove the cuttings in.
Pam I love the plastic bag trick ...:) for the boges makes sense!
Might work on tricky brugs as well.
Enjoy your morning everyone
As specially Dianne

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 9, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8483485

Happy Birthday Dianne. Good morning everyone. We had a lovely shower of rain yesterday too but no wind. Don't like that wind. We went to the boy's school's gala Friday night and guess what? We won a raffle by choosing the right key to open a padlock. We won vouchers for Hairdresser, massage, oh boy am I going to enjoy that, Toyworld, 6x$10 meal vouchers, premier sports, and a place called Pepperz. Should be great fun spending them with the boys. Pity there wasn't a garden one too.lol. It was a wonderful night, the weather was perfect and everyone got into the mood for a bit of fun, but it just costs so much for the rides and games and even tea. We don't go out very much so the boys really enjoyed themselves. We'll go and spend the meal vouchers soon and that will be a treat for them as it's at the footy club and they have a wonderful play area for the kids there. One of my friends who I used to work at the hospital came around yesterday. I gave her a Frosty Pink brug a while ago and she took an Old Sydney Apricot yesterday. Hopefully another convert into thesae beautiful plants. I have lots of buds at the moment but no flowers actually out. I've put about 10 plants out of the SH onto saucers and they are looking really good. Must get more placed around the garden so that they can harden up a bit. I actually can't wait for Brian's to flower so that I can cut them back and either give them away or pot them up or plant them out in the front garden. It's going to be Brug Paradise here in the next couple of years. Well must go and do some washing and other jobs. be back later. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
4:55 PM

Post #8483586

Happy Birthday♫♪ and many many more...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2011
5:44 PM

Post #8483671

Charlene where do you get those musical notes from ? please excuse my puter ignorance ...I often see pretty little doo dads on posts but haven't a clue where to get them ...is there a link or a software or what?

Hope you and Charlie are enjoying your Spring garden.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 9, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8483943

Have a look here Chrissy

☛http://www.edlazorvfx.com/ysu/html/ascii.html ☚

Scroll down to find the symbol you want to insert. In the square brachets, where it says 'number' simply copy everything from the & symbol up to and including the semi colon, not the square bracket.

Have a play in the preview screen.

Pam

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 9, 2011
7:47 PM

Post #8483970

For instance.

[ ♥ ] black heart suit = valentine [name: ♥] [number: ♥]

To insert the heart into your post you need to copy and paste ♥

Well done on the raffle win Colleen. You deserve a bit of spoiling.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 12:58 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2011
9:17 PM

Post #8484197

Well, I'm inside after going out in the sun this morning. The sun lasted exactly 5 minutes after I went out , then it has rained ever since. The cold wind came with the rain, so nothing was done.
I am sitting inside being bored as I have run out of books to read. moan, moan..
I do amuse myself by playing solitaire on the computer but even that gets a bit old after a time. I am sick of doing crosswords, so will just sit here and look at all the garden pics .
There are things I could be doing , like dusting !!! Hmmm not in the mood.
I'll look through everyones pretty flowers instead.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 9, 2011
9:43 PM

Post #8484219

What a pleasant surprise, thank you all for the birthday wishes...
Went to my daughter's for lunch and now I'm home to relax and watch the footy.
Good day to do just that...it's very cold.
I use a character map, Chrissie...it has a great assortment of different signs and odd bods..

Here are a few ¼ ,♬ ☎ ◆ 儘 峽 ㎩ ㆄ Æ ć Ñ ▩
I don't know what half of them mean, but they look interesting...especially the asian writing...I sometimes write a few of the letters in an email to my daughter...she has no idea what it means and I don't let her know that I don't either.
Doesn't it look impressive...
勛匡刪劘募勸動匁剞...lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 9, 2011
10:33 PM

Post #8484252

Watch out Dianne, you may be swearing at us in whatever language that is.. Ha ha.
I'd like to put those thingys in mails and posts too but have no idea how .
Jean.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 9, 2011
11:08 PM

Post #8484277

nice autumn day here, sunny but with a bitterly cold wind.
after dog training I got into the garden & dug up some cuttings I had been growing for my sister-in-law & divided up some nemesia for her as well.
It was her birthday so I gave her the hebe I bought last week, it will be perfect in her garden & I took a wee cutting to try & strike for myself.
I finally put the pineapple sage into the herb garden, it turned out to be two rooted pieces so one at each end - bonus :)
And I remembered to plant my rose cutting, Mum gave me a piece of Compassion last year & it looks to have quite a good root system on it now.
Fingers crossed that it takes off now it is in the ground.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 10, 2011
1:14 AM

Post #8484319

Hello everyone. Colleen, well done on your win.

Happy Birthday Dianne. I hope you are having a lovely day.

Went to the markets this morning to look for a birthday gift for my SIL. She has just started collecting broms and tills, so we got here these - 4 plants for the price of 2. Wouldn't mind these for my birthday.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 10, 2011
2:22 AM

Post #8484328

''Marj,the rains are here''!!!!it is as 'black as black' outside..very cold rain,i think it will be a cold night,.,.ive put all the special 'toppings' on all my pots ,with the prediction of good rain,.,.Once again tasmania will not have the full 5 day holiday at easter[even though Guy Grossi from Coles says we are having ''the 5 day easter feast''.].,unlike every other 'australian' we will be going back to work on tuesday,.,.pretty sad ??-anthony
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 10, 2011
2:43 AM

Post #8484333

You get Tuesday off in Mainland Aussie?
we don't here, the stat holidays are Good Friday, Easter Sunday & Easter Monday.
Shops are shut the Friday & Sunday.
We are heading away the thursday to go up to Omaka for the Classic Fighters Airshow.
we went last time - two years ago & it was brilliant.
I have been to Warbirds over Wanaka & thought that was amazing but Omaka is every bit as good.
http://www.classicfighters.co.nz/classic-fighters-gallery.php
gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 10, 2011
2:19 PM

Post #8485472

Teresa there was talk of an extra day off because anzac day fell on the Monday, which was already a holiday. That is SOOOO wrong, in my opinion. It cheapens the day to nothing more than an excusse for a public holiday.

So I guess the Taswegians got it right Anthony? lol
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 10, 2011
2:42 PM

Post #8485523

Good morning everyone. Quite chilly here this morning after a wet day yesterday. Looks like more of the same today. The garden is loving the rain and I can hear the weeds growing madly.
My chrysanthemums are all starting to open so will be a lovely show. The roses were looking exceptionally lovely until the rain spoiled them all, but thats gardening for you.
We have small black millipedes every where still along with the slaters. I dont know why they think its nicer inside than out in the garden.
Hello Anthony. I have just cut all the dead stems from my liliums and there are some new shoots at the base of some. I am going to pot one of each color and leave the rest to multiply in the garden.
Hello Teresa, how is your garden going now ? They must be used to growing in moving ground. Does the shaking affect the larger things much, such as trees ? I would think in some places, the ground would get very loose, maybe affecting their roots.
Hello Karen and Dianne, Pam , Elaine and Chrissy.
Hello Charleen and Louise. I am going to doa bit in the grennhousr today as it looks too cold and wet for anything else. I will get my mini greenhouses and pots ready for cuttings and seeds in spring.
My great idea for having the plastic over the brom house hasnt worked well. The weight of the rainwater on the plastic, makes it sink in lots of places. I have to go out and push the plastic up to get the water off. I am worried the weight may collapse the roof as it is only a flimsy structure, being our first effort at making a shadehouse here. It was never meant to be that strong as nothing was going to be on the roof.
I will look at getting another of the cheap plastic greenhouses I have bought before on eBay. They are not expensive and so far mine have lasted over 5 years .
It should do well as a brom house. Lots of light but protection from the weather. I can open all the windows and door for plenty of air.
One of the others I have is now losing its plastic slowly, but as there is mesh embedded in the plastic, the basic cover stays there. i just added a piece of plastic inside to go over the frame but under the roof itself to keep excess rain off the plants and it does really well as a shadehouse for all my begonias and stapelias.
Better move and get something done or hubby will think I've taken root here at the desk.
Have a great day and I hope something nice happens to make your day happy.
What about trying some lovely warm Scones with Jam and Cream.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 10, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8486402

Well the nurse was pleased so I am happy, brother's cellulitis is getting better at last ..I hate having to strip the dead skin away, so happy when that job is over ...It's quite breezy outside more more showers on the way, must go outside now and have a look around ...hopefully there will be something interesting going on,
Who am I kidding ...there is always something going on right ?
I hope everyone is enjoying their day (what's left of it that is) school hols commence down here fun fun fun ...Easter show etc.
Loved going to the E,Show before they moved it ...no longer happy with it.
Watching it from home is enough on telly ...I will miss the agriculture and animals but the rest you can keep.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 11, 2011
2:38 AM

Post #8486728

it poured with rain overnight,so i was home early from work,.,.lucky for me!!!-because an american 'lily-lover' offered me 5 draws in the 'NALS',seed exchange'buy up.'''lucky me'''''..im as happy as a pig in shi' mmery pants...Woeful tipping form this week,thank you Dianne for not 'rubbing it in'-but im sure essendumb will cop a hiding this week,..,alison and s.i.l and kids all support essendon,.the kids bite well ,when i tell them theres heaps of essendon gear up at the 'tip shop'.,.,Jean,thank you for not removing the lily stems early,next years blooms will love you for it,.,.light application of b'n'b or moo moo manure,come june/ july,when you top dress,pottash come august/ sept,results will be ''magnifico',...enjoy the rain-anthony
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

April 11, 2011
2:41 AM

Post #8486730

Hi-de-ho campers! Jean, thanks for that insight on the plastic! I was considering putting some up over the brom house, but didn't think of the water pooling! Mmm, might have to look at the shade house on Ebay, can you remember the sellers name.
Pam, I agree about the holiday thing. Seems stupid! Who decides when Easter is? Was pretty bad timing to have it on Anzac day. Some will be torn between mass on Monday or dawn service! (not me, I'm sleeping in) Does that mean Dawn service will be held on tuesday? And if not, then why the holiday? So many questions and not enough answers. Also, I tried your link for the characters to insert, but It didn't work.
Chrissy, i'm glad your brother has something on the mend. It sounds as though it might have been a long hard road so far. He's lucky he has such a caring sister!
Karen, beautiful broms and good score! I didn't see them over on the brom thread though? You are also a good sister!
Theresa, I hope you and Baz enjoy the airshow. I've always been a little afraid of them myself, since there seems to be a high number of incedents at airshows! How far is Omaka from you?
Anthony, what do you use for the 'special toppings'? My sister in NZ sent me a peice of frost cloth last year, but as we haven't hda frost here, I gave it to a freidn in a frost prone area to try. I must ask her how it went. It looked like white shade cloth. I actually wouldn't mind it back, to use to keep the butterflies off the brocolli.
Anyway, I have a step daughter visiting, so shouldn't be so rude by hanging out in the tea room. I just don't often have the time to visit, but like Tassie, its been rainingnhere too.
Oh, Dianne, belated birthday wishes!
Sue
woopsh! Too many beers.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2011 8:43 PM

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 11, 2011
3:06 AM

Post #8486743

Nice day but a late storm just going overhead.

Karen...nice haul of broms.
Dianne...you will have to give me step by step instructions for those characters. (I'm old you know)

I hope to spend the day in the garden tomorrow...woopy!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 11, 2011
3:11 AM

Post #8486748

Sue - Easter is decided by the phases of the moon.
Which is good if the weather is nice, we will have a gorgeous full moon for the twilight show (that is as in sunset, not twinkly vampires)
they had a 5.1 earthquake in the North Island, it was 30km deep so I don't know why it even made the news...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
6:58 AM

Post #8487236

Some beautiful Iris, no, don't know their names but they do have a wonderful scent.
You all keep hanging in there...

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 11, 2011
1:56 PM

Post #8488146

weed_woman wrote: My sister in NZ sent me a peice of frost cloth last year, but as we haven't hda frost here, I gave it to a freidn in a frost prone area to try. I must ask her how it went. It looked like white shade cloth. I actually wouldn't mind it back, to use to keep the butterflies off the brocolli.

We used to use frost cloth (or frost blanket) right through winter when we lived in Dubbo (about a million year ago) Sue, simply tossed it over the garden beds in the late afternoon and weighted down the edges, then pulled it up again in the morning. It worked wonderfully well. It's light enough also that if we were going away for a few days there was no risk involved with leaving it on. It let plenty of light through, so the plants were not bothered in the least.

We use black mosquito netting to keep nasties out of the vegie patch, and it works quite well. It's only black because it doesn't stand out and look weird. Any colour would do. The only trouble is that the native bees who are attracted to the flowers on the basil, or anything else that is flowering at the time, get terribly frustrated that they can't get to it.

On the subject of the vegie garden, we really must get in and get some planting done. We let it go a bit when we were getting constant rain for such a long period late last year and well into this one. The asparagus, rocket and parsley loved it, but everything else struggled.

Have a great day all.

Pam

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 11, 2011
2:05 PM

Post #8488169

Good morning everyone.

Sue, I didnt' put the broms on the brom thread as they won't be mine (crying).

Supposed to be mostly fine but we are off to a very wet start, and a very grey sky. I have a very sore mouth as an abscess has formed. Got antibiotics so hope it will stop hurting fast.

Pam, I found the veges I had went to seed way too fast. Was that due to the rains? My parsley even went to seed, and I've had it for years and its never done that before. Don't know what to put in for winter. I'm just learning the ropes slowly as I go.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 11, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8488287

Good morning everyone. Yesterday turned out to be quite a bit warmer than the weekend, Still jumper weather but the rain stayed away and we had lots of sun. I was out measuring the old shadehouse where the broms are and one of the cheap plastic greenhouses should fit nicely in the space when I pull the old frame down. I will be watching as we do the job because there have been a couple of large huntsmen living in there somewhere.
The only drawback to using the greenhouse will be that I cannot hang anything from the frame. It is just not that strong. I will have to have a think about making some sort of frame that can be free standing along one side. Maybe not to hang plants but at least make it high so they can be seen as a sort of wall. . A project in the planning stages. As is usual with me, it will evolve as I go along.
Hello Anthony, like you, I am always aware of the different plants needing that extra boost from the old leaves, so always leave them on even if it looks yukky for a while.
I cringe when I see people running around chopping of tops etc when the flowers are done then they wonder why the plants dont look as good the next year.
I am also a great fan of the ever faithful B&B plus potash . These go on everything in the early spring. I will also use some dynamic lifter and a touch of lime for those plants that need it.
I love early spring when one just wanders around tossing fertilser everywhere. Makes you feel good feeding the babies.
Hello Sue. To look at those plastic greenhouses, just go on to eBay and type in greenhouse. You will find several sellers. You may be luckier than I am, living up there, because you may be closer to one that you can pick up from. They are a lot cheaper now than I have seen before .
My first one is still going well but the second was a bit different and deteriorated in the sun a lot more quickly. It also didnt fit over the frame as well . I use steel posts to tie the frame down on the 4 corners and I put a piece of shadecloth over the top with ropes which also keep the plastic from lifting too much. .
It a very handy thing to have for special plants and growing seeds , cuttings etc. . I use the little plastic mini greenhouses ( from the cheapie shops) for seeds etc and put them out in the big greenhouse when big enough.
At the moment there is a large self sown tomato that has taken over the floor space. I carefully step around it but I have no idea where it came from. I leave it because there are tomatoes on it. .
The plastic from the brom house roof will go inside the old greenhouse between the outer covering and the frame. It will do as a bit of protection from too much rain on the stapelias etc.
Hello Teresa, If you keep shaking over there you may end up rocking and rolling all the way over to us. We will have to adopt you all as Aussies then.
Hello Pam, Elaine and Karen.
Karen, I found any vegies here went to seed quickly too. I have parsley everywhere that always goes to seed very quickly. It used to be lovely to have all the nice plants to pick bunches from. Makes a nice garden plant anyway with the large seed heads.
Hello Charleen, thats a lovely iris. Who cares what the name is as long as you like it.
Hello Chrissy, Dianne and Colleen.
Hello Louise. pats for the girls.
I am off to see what my new epi flower is doing. Its quite unexpected to have one now.
lots of brug flowers coming on too.
Have a great day and enjoy this Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8488500

I do have a Red Rider I got from Mit last year. Loved the name. Wonder why???Red mule...
Thank you, I have sever that are so pretty it doesn't matter what their names were before the labels got eaten.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 11, 2011
5:46 PM

Post #8488626

Marleneann, you should have a Character map in Accessories...Click on Start, all Programs, go to Accessories, then System Tools.
You should see a C/map there...right click on it and put it on your task bar...all you do is find the symbol that you want then click on it, select then copy...the copy works like a right click copy...paste where ever you want it.
There are lots of different C/maps, this is the basic...you can use the the copy/paste on your keyboard if you prefer..use enter to select.

Anthony, as if I would rub it in...I don't need to..lol...can't wait for this weekend...love the Blues and love to beat them..

Charleen, many years ago there was a comic called Red Ryder...possibly named after that...lovely anyway.

Boy, did it rain last night...almost 50 mm...we needed it.

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 11, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8488917

Try this

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 11, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8488922

It worked!!!!!!!
Yippee...you are a good teacher. Thanks.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 11, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8489169

...♫♣☼♥♪ ... me too... thanks Dianne. I never knew they were there.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8489187

Hello everyone!

Cool about the character map. I didn't know it was there either! Boy I bet you could really get into trouble with some of those characters if you didn't know what you were spelling out...LOL!

One should only use the ones they know what are. HAHA!

It has been absolutely beautiful here today. Unfortunately I had to run errands and wasn't in the garden enjoying it. We have roses, camelia, amaryllis, I guess that's all that's in bloom at the moment.

Later gators!

Jeanne

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 11, 2011
10:41 PM

Post #8489214

Boo Hoo I can't find any accessories at all on mine ...I am on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit , is that because I have to go buy them? or because the Nortons has all the stuff for cleaning and defragment etc ?

Yours truly
lost and confused (as usual) :-)
...♫♣☼♥♪ ... I can cut and paste but :(
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 11, 2011
10:45 PM

Post #8489216

I dont know Chrissy. We have Vista and the characters are right where Dianne said.
What we need is a virtual youngster to show us all these computer tricks etc.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 11, 2011
11:13 PM

Post #8489223

I think the stuff on this new fangled thingy has everything stored online ...I remember the character map thing in my other puter (I didn't know what it was LOL.
Oh well I guess it's cut and paste for me ...never mind.

It's cold and blowy outside ...a bit too soon I reckon, I wanted just a little more sun before they turn off the lights and open the fridge door.
Thanks jean and Jeanne *grin*

The heaters have had to go on because we have an invalid in the home, I usually only put them on around the end of June, it's a strange feeling.
I think it may be one heck of a Winter considering it's 2011 the year for megga everything.

Charleen what a beautiful iris.

You got some rain Dianne ? that's wonderful ...
phones ringing
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 12, 2011
1:40 AM

Post #8489275

RAIN!!!!-shiploads of it!!!!-my big firewood logs are burning a treat.The 2 cats think its great..I was given two miniature daff bulbs today''mortie and ferdie''-they are truly a couple of the smallest in the world-- My friend Rod has 1 more daffodil order to fill tomorrow and he says,'thats it'-7 weeks of r and r,then he can start to play with lilium bulbs.,.happy rain everyone!!!
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

April 12, 2011
3:33 AM

Post #8489326

♫ Ohhh, I found it too! ♫♠♦
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 12, 2011
2:32 PM

Post #8490860

I have found a character map, but cant' figure how to use it.

Karen

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011 2:34 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 12, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8490864

♫♫♫ Good morning everyone ♫♫♫
just being smart, haha...
its a very damp morning here. dark and misty/foggy rain.
There go all my plans for the day. It may change later though.
I did manage to get a few things cut back yesterday as the few spots of rain were not too bad .
Lots of bulbs putting up buds now so should look pretty when they all open. Trouble is , they dont all agree to open at the same time so there is usually just a small clump here and there. Still a couple of naked ladies dancing out in the rain.
I moved a couple of brugs in pots from the back to the front where there is a bit more room.
Hello Anthony. No fires here now. Firewood is too hard to get and way too dear anyway. I do like an open fire. Nice to watch and to cook jaffles on too.
Hello Chrissy. I hope you are getting plenty of rest yourself as looking after someone can be draining even when done with love.
Hello Sue, clever you , too. We can play with the characters now.
Hello Jeanne, welcome . Lovely flower. I could do with some of your warm at the moment.
Hello Dianne and Colleen. Elaine, Pam and Karen too.
Charleen, lovely iris, I am waiting for two more of mine to open. Its weird seeing them at this time of year.
Hello Louise, hope all is well over your way.
I am off to the kitchen to see what goodies I have for you today.
Not really a cake, but delicious anyway. I do like this Baklava.
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 12, 2011

Post #8490869

Karen, on Vista, I just click on the character and it comes up in the space below the characters, if yoi want more than one of the same, just use the space bar on your keyboard and they pop up. for different ones, just click on each one you want. . right click and click copy in the little window . Go to where you want to put the signs and right click again, click on paste. . Voila... little characters.
There may be a different way, but this works for me on my computer.
Someone else may have an easier way.
It would be helpful if all computers worked in the same way. Less confusing for we oldies.
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8491000

I have some beautiful Noid iris too. Thank you all♫
♪ I got it too.♦♣♠☺☻○◘•☻
Can only use numbers on right side of my keyboard. Don't have the little sunburst.
I ♥ the color of these iris.

Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

April 12, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8491741

Hi to everyone,
Have been reading all the posts. Buds almost ready to bloom...
Hope that those on the sick list are now recovering. Take very good care.
We are having our flu vac tonight. Ouch...not fond of injections but it is only a wee thing and shouldn't hurt too much.

How do you find the 'notes'...i.e. music variety please...a virtual child is the answer I do believe.

Still no buyer for this home but fingers crossed. We have seen a pleasant townhouse that actually has a

GARDEN!

Shall return later.
Anna :-)
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 12, 2011
9:20 PM

Post #8491841

………[

Nope, that didn't work. I have Webdings, Wingdings and Vrinda.

¶ Hmmm, the first two didn't work but Vrinda did. Trying again...

¼

well, Vrinda works, but there is hardly anything on it worthwhile. No hearts... not even a smiley.

Karen

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011 9:25 PM

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 12, 2011
10:53 PM

Post #8491964

Day started off nicely and I did get some gardening done but dark clouds are forming again.
I just hope the Easter weekend gives us some nice weather as I have picnic plans.

♥ This Vanda is in flower now...don't know the name. Very pretty.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 12, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8491981

Looking at these posts is making me smile, all those little characters...
For anyone having trouble finding their character map,
Go to your start menu and type "character map" into the "search programs and files' box.
This will bring it up no matter where it's hiding...

It's on XP, Vista and Windows7 all versions.

Norton wouldn't affect your Accessories, Chrissy...sometimes it's right down the bottom of your programs...

Jean, has your Treloar's Rose catalogue arrived yet? it's the best one yet...Drool ☻☻☻☻☻☻

Forgot to mention, if you want to look at wingdings,etc...just change the font..MѾ☼♪♫...I'm not quite sure what the second one is...lol

This message was edited Apr 13, 2011 6:16 PM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 13, 2011
12:16 AM

Post #8492000

well I found the character map but now can't seem to make it copy & paste the ones I want...
when I paste I get a different character to the one I selected

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8492003

Teresa, when you find a character that you want, click on it, then select, then you will see the one you want in the box. then copy..
try that.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2011
12:37 AM

Post #8492009

☼♂♂♥♫♦♫♀♀◊♣ໝ໘₤∬Ẅ ummmm Dianne you are a genius! ...I looked at the programs before and did not write search for (it was very well hidden )ѭ‱Ӂ†‡©¬«Â very interesting! Lol ...makes me feel like a little kid playing with crayons.

A very big thankyou!
Now I have got that out of my system ...no garden today ...nurse etc.
I hope everyone can uncross their eyes now we have had a play with the thingy, I need some coffee lol.
I will be back®•••••••-

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2011
12:42 AM

Post #8492010

Some things you click on don't come true they change into something else lol oh well.YZZZ ha ha ha what happened to those hearts, I think your code has to match the one in there ie hotmail may be a different thingy.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 13, 2011
12:58 AM

Post #8492023

☼♫♥♥ I've been trying and trying and watching all the hints and I finally did it. Yahoo How is everyone? All well I hope. I think we're in for some more rain tonight. I hope there's no more hail involved. I have heaps of buds on the brugs and the ones that were just planted out the front are looking great with all new growth. Avalanche has about 5 or 6 buds so it should be great to finally see him in flower. I will never forget seeing Alistair's in full flower just overflowing like a waterfall. I potted up my little hippy seedlings today and 7 more brugs, 2 brom seedlings that John grew, some silver beet seeds and some globe artichoke just for the flowers. Still have lots of seeds to plant but will get the boys to give me a hand over the holidays. Well had better go and get some tea for my hungry little munchkins. Be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2011
2:01 AM

Post #8492046

Pats on the back to everyone ..
An Elephant stamp for you.

I know what you mean Colleen about that pic of Alistair's Avalanche...magnificent wasn't it.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2011
2:11 AM

Post #8492052

Too much to do! Heading to Sussex on the weekend .. time to start digging new gardens!
My Norfolk Pine seedling .. grown from seed collected locally .. is over a metre tall now and loving it! I may regret where I stuck it but hey .. live and learn! :)
The mowing man has complained that the lawn edges are overgrown so I suppose time to trim and mulch. Most of you guys would say .. pffft to lawn .. but I like some!

Jean .. the table ended up in the back room .. was intended outdoors .. but suits the current position. The only projects in mind at the moment are some garden benches that were scrounged off council clean up piles! People just don't repair anymore .. they throw and buy .. these just need slats replacing .. stay tuned!

Anyhooo .. off to do stuff .. have a great day / night all.
Cheers
Budgie

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2011
2:36 AM

Post #8492066

Hey Steve when we were young the boys had woodwork ...these days they can't even write anymore because of cyber and texting stuff, you watch, even the art of writing is just about gone.

The girls did home economics (cooking and sowing ...including patches sown onto worn clothes and darning the heels of socks) ...while we did that, the boys were making little tables and small cabinets etc.

I suppose there was more time and less distraction before tv ...working mums, and of course the computer. I hold my hand up as having played with this silly character map thing for far too much time, still it's more fun than darning socks.
I had better not tell you how tall my Norfolk Pine is after 20 years *grin*
Have fun with the chores.

Colleen it's wonderful to be waiting for a big brug flush ...whooppee!
I hope the weather stays favourable for you.
Here is Avalanche to the right and Star dancer x to the left ...I think Avalanche is beautiful and true to it's name so you are in for a thrill.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Budgieman
Sydney
Australia

April 13, 2011
3:22 AM

Post #8492099

Hi Chrissy! Have missed your wisdom .. too true!!
My son was married on the week end .. was a beautiful day!!

Not long ago he asked if he could borrow a phillips head screwdriver to put together a bookshelf. I said .. 'need a hand?' .. he said 'No thanks .. need to do this by myself'

Wow .. when I was his age I was building furniture! Each to their own .. he plays guitar like I wish I could ...

Texting is removing the ability to communicate .. it is not a good spot .. had a supplier say today .. 'you have been ignoring my email for months' .. I simply said .. 'that email address has been closed for months .. why did you not call?' ..

Heading back over there >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Budgie :)

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 13, 2011
4:51 AM

Post #8492229

Budgie I would like to see a picture of your son's wedding please.
gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 13, 2011
2:13 PM

Post #8493267

Karen, in Windows 7, simply click on the start button and type character map in the search box, then select it. Too, too easy! And there seems to be a lot more characters there than in XP.

There's a bit more detailed info here, specific to Windows 7

http://forums.techarena.in/customize-desktop/1159902.htm

It looks like a generally handy forum to know about, actually.

Pam

This message was edited Apr 14, 2011 7:44 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 13, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8493365

ѬѬ♥♥♥♥♥☺☺☺ Good morning everyone. Playing with the character thingy again. I have no idea what the first two are but they look like pussycats.
Its cold and damp here again. I guess winter has arrived early. Shopping ay today so I am just popping in quickly. I have to have my annual blood tests so have had to fast. No breakfast.. I'm hungry.
We will stop at the medical centre in Coleraine on the way to Hamilton for the tests.
Hello to everyone. I see we are all playing with the characters . A bit of fun .
lovely to see all the faces in for a cuppa. Steve, you will be sorry about that pine tree. I have seen some planted in yards. A friend once did that. I told her it was a mistake and she had to have it removed just 10 years later.
They grow along the streets in Geraldton WA. Planted by the original settlers , they are now a landmark . Lucky they were not planted down the main street or I suppose some fool would have chopped them down.
Hello Chrissy, Colleen, Karen, Dianne, Sue, Teresa, Marlene, Anthony and Pam.
hello also Charleen and Louise.
I'm off now. I have left you all some Lace Cookies.
Happy day, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 13, 2011
3:43 PM

Post #8493496

Good morning everyone. Very overcast today, but not too cold. Lots to do in the garden so will warm up quickly. One boy is having a sleep in on the first day of the holidays but the other is still up bright and early. I have a huge Norfolk Island pine planted smack bang about 15 feet from my kitchen window. Who in their right mind would do that? It does give beautiful shade in the summer though. We wont be going camping this Easter as the water is up too much where we usually go and we can't take the dogs and the bikes anywhere else around here. We will wait for the next school holidays now and hopefully it won't be too wet to get where we want to go. Well lots to do so will go now . Everyone have a lovely day and I'll be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 13, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8493580

Same sort of weather here...good growing weather though...the colours aren't washed out...

Boy, am I fed up with Telstra online, sometimes it's just impossible to get on...today is one of those days.
Oh, well...off to the shops instead...and as for their recharge via mobile...they have got to be kidding..

We had Norfolk pines planted on the foreshore in front of our house, many years ago by a ''work for the dole scheme"
It was a great idea and the Pines are about 20ft high now and the boardwalk that they built on that program, has been very popular..
Those programs were great, until they were scrapped...

When I see all the young people hanging around in Geelong during the week, when the papers are full of all sorts of employment, it makes me wonder if they are getting paid for doing nothing.

Where is the ambition to get ahead?

Now I must get off my soapbox and go shopping...but at least I've had my say on two of my pet hates...Telstra and the Dole.

Back later.
Dianne

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 14, 2011
2:54 AM

Post #8494406

Hello everyone!

A nice day here on the Sunshine Coast. I went to a private garden with the local gardening club this morning and had a great time. Was given a few cutting too.

Here is a picture of one of my Hoya cages

Thumbnail by Marleneann

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 14, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8494645

That's a great idea Marlene. My hoya in the SH has taken off everywhere. I hope it flowers. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8494652

It is beautiful. What Hoya is it?
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 14, 2011
2:09 PM

Post #8495688

Marlene, that looks great, that cage. Yes, I'd like to know what Hoya it is too.

Dianne, the young ones worry me. They want the laid back life style without having to work for it. My grand daughter is complaining about wanting to live at Byron Bay. The way I figure it, she'll still run into herself where ever she goes, and that's really what she has to deal with. Can't tell them that though.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 14, 2011

Post #8495749

Good morning everyone. Yesterday started with a misty foggy morning that developed into light rain that disappeared by lunchtime. I was even able to take my jumper off while doing the shopping during the afternoon.
I found no orphans I wanted. There were plenty of annuals and daisies but I dont need them . There were a couple of large camellias but again , I cant plant them in a good place so no use buying them. They were not reduced in price much anyway.
I have lots of buds coming on my zygos so it may be a better flowering year than last year. lots of brugs flowers too. My nerines seem to have slowed right down in flowering. Usually there are lots more by now. I went mad and bought some double blue freesias for my front yard. I do like freesias.
Hello Colleen. Canna planting day today.
Hello Marlene. thats a good idea with the hoya cage. I tend to let mine escape to where ever they want. I have some climbing up inside the epi house and some halfway up the shadehouse near the back door. I did have a few in baskets but found they like to be on the ground and grow up not hang down. I simply put the basket on the ground and they grew roots out of it an dare looking very happy. One is halfway across the roof of the epi house. They flower well here.
Hello Anthony, how are things down there ? Lots of work with the liliums . You will have a beautiful show in spring/summer.
Hello Steve, glad the table is being used. How are your orchids doing with all the rain thats been up there ?
Hello Dianne, Pam, Karen and Chrissy.
Hello Teresa. Hope the shakes are subsiding bit for you. Poor Copper will be nervous wreck.
Hello Charleen, Hugs and a cookie for Charley.
Hello Louise. You must be seeing lots of spring flowers now. Looking forward to seeing photos of your NH garden again.
Better go and get the washing out as it looks like we may have some sun today.
Hello to everyone else out there.
Pop in and enjoy some delicious Devils Food Cake with a cuppa.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 14, 2011
4:45 PM

Post #8495970

I spotted those bird cages at the Reject Shop just yesterday Marleneann and figured there had to be a good use for them in the garden. That's it! Must go back and grab one.

We have an 11 month old staying with us for the next month, and although I knew our house wasnt childproof, can't believe just how much she gets into every chance she gets. lol. I spent ages shopping for childproofing door catches etc yesterday and came home with 4 or 5 different items that I thought would suit our purposes, but only one fits, so it's back to the drawing board to work out how to keep her out of the glass doors on the tv cabinet etc.

She's exhausting - I think I need a nap!

Pam

This message was edited Apr 15, 2011 9:49 AM
gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 14, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8496009

☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。* °♥ ˚ • ★ *˚ .ღ 。
/▌*˛˚ღ •˚ Morning All! ✰* ★
/ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ ˚ 。✰ •* ˚

While we're playing with pictures, I came accross this bit of work just now somewhere on the web. Some people seem to have a lot of time on their hands.

Pam

This message was edited Apr 15, 2011 10:09 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 14, 2011
5:50 PM

Post #8496113

☻/ღ˚ •。* ♥ ˚ ˚✰˚ ˛★* 。 ღ˛° 。* °♥ ˚ • ★ *˚ .ღ 。
/▌*˛˚ღ •˚ Morning All! ✰* ★
Cool ...nurse coming bye for now

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 14, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8496248

Yes that big cage was half price at $15. The smaller one I purchased was $10.
The big cage has Hoya cummingiana.

The smaller one has an unknown Hoya...here is the pic.

Thumbnail by Marleneann

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 14, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8496806

Love the cages Marlene, I am off to the reject shop tomorrow...perfect for Hoyas..thanks for the idea...

Telstra keep telling me that I do not have a credit card registered with them even though I just paid a Telstra bill online with a credit card.
They are determined not to let me recharge my mobile...well I am just as determined...TELSTRA...

Anthony, may the best man win tomorrow, it will probably be me...lol

Lovely day today, except for Telstra.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Brugmansia Buck's Fizz

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 15, 2011
12:40 AM

Post #8496883

Oh Jean I am so excited we have got your Glass House Angel up there in the BGI Gallery, so she is known as Glass House Angel everywhere now, not just here in Australia, you must tell your friend with the Glass House.
It's been a great day the nurse was very pleased with my brothers treated leg ...whew!

Some of us have been playing over at the BGI putting our pics in ...I am so thrilled to see FFA and TT there too now ...can't believe it! seems like yesterday we were just opening those little pkts of magic seeds and now whaa laa!
The differences in climate really show up when the pics are side by side ...very informative.

Dianne it was wonderful to see your pretty pics in there too don't forget to post them here in the Brug thread too for anyone not in BGI ...the Gallery is open to everyone, you need not be a member to see the lovely pics.

The Hoya cage is great ...
Yes it's exhausting trying to stop a toddler from hurting themself Pam ...so glad I was a young grandmother ...I don't think I could keep up with them any more, I used to fall into bed exhausted after minding them all 6 days a week, would not swap it for anything , I loved it but I was so tired running after 4 little ones on this large property ...stairs everywhere was not helpful I had nightmares and made hubby build gates to stop bubbies falling down them. My tiny granddaughter locked the toilet door on us from the inside and we ended up taking the door off the hinges to take a screaming bubba out of there, I looked away for a minute that's all.
Oh well off to dish up dinner.
I have loved this day and I hope you all have too each and everyone :)

Chrissy.

Enjoy though they grow up too fast
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 15, 2011
1:41 AM

Post #8496890

}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{##**^[--wierd, IT ONLY PRINTED A BIT OF MY POST]-edited later,.,.once again,have a good weekend everyone

This message was edited Apr 15, 2011 3:45 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 15, 2011
1:51 AM

Post #8496891

|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ | you all have a great night :) |̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ | *giggle*

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 15, 2011
2:39 AM

Post #8496911

Look here ✽ ✾ ✿ ❀ ❁ ❃ ✽ ✾ ✿ ❀ ❁ ❃ ✽ ✾ ✿ ❀ ❁ ❃ ✽ ✾ ✿ ❀ ❁ ❃
Lets see if that works? you can cut and paste if it does!

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
6:35 AM

Post #8497285

Love the Buck's fiss. I'm sure my computer can't do all that not by me anyway...☺
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 15, 2011
2:29 PM

Post #8498201

Good morning world. Surprise surprise, a grey day here. I am still waiting for those beautiful golden Autumn days. Yesterday was fine, though still a bit warm.

Chrissy, you are having such fun with the symbols. I wanna play too...

ঃ৹ঃ৹ঃ৹ঃ৹ঃ৹ঃ

Vrinda is boring...

Karen

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 15, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8498213

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining in the window here. it was quite nice yesterday and forecast is for a warm weekend.
Chrissy, I havent been in the BGI at all so must look. Is it free ?
I'm glad that the beautiful GHA is out there for all to see. At least we have a plant that is unique to us now even though he had an odd beginning.
He was just a poor orphan plant, or rather, his mother was. Growing squished in that tiny greenhouse surrounded by all sorts of neglected plants. the person is not a friend just some one we had to visit when buying timber. . They run a private sawmill and there are the remains of a lovely garden on the farm. I think it must have been started many years ago when the person had the time to tend to a large acreage of garden.
It has been long neglected now. The poor little greenhouse was choked with plants. I wanted to bring them all home. Sadly the owner couldnt see the neglect himself.
I was only able to get the one large branch so all GHA around are from that branch.
Hello Anthony, Dianne, Teresa, Pam and Karen.
Hello Colleen and Steve too.
Charleen , hugs for Charley. Louise, pats for the girls too.
Marlene, I saw those cages in the shop too, but sadly, my finances wont stretch to any.
I am off to get things done outside as this weather will not hang around for too m any days.
Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy your gardens.
Try some of this Boiled Fruit Cake with butter.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8498247

I loved the little village Chrissy made.
My girls. Missy the dog and Abigail the chicken, Abigail is trying to follow and hope I dig in the dirt for her a worm to eat...

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 15, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8499036

Oh Jean my favouriteist cake. yummo boiled fruit cake. You can keep the butter but I will have a glass of milk with it. thanks. Lovely day here today, a little breezy at times but beautiful in the sun. The boys have a friend over and they're playing the play station at the moment. Happy little chatter in the background. Hope everyone is well today. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 15, 2011
11:19 PM

Post #8499125

Move over Colleen I love boiled fruit cake ...yummy.

Well everyone you only need to copy and paste anything you want off this ...has almost anything you would like.

✖ ✗ ✘ ♒ ♬ ✄ ✂ ✆ ✉ ✦ ✧ ♱ ♰ ♂ ♀ ☿ ❤ ❥ ❦ ❧ ™ ® © ♡ ♦ ♢ ♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ ★ ☆ ✮ ✯ ☄ ☾ ☽ ☼ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☻ ☺ ☹ ۞ ۩ εїз ☎ ☏ ¢ ☚ ☛ ☜ ☝ ☞ ☟ ✍ ✌ ☢ ☣ ☠ ☮ ☯ ♠ ♤ ♣ ♧ ♥࿂ ე ჳ ᆡ ༄ ♨ ๑ ❀ ✿ ψ ♆ ☪ ☭ ♪ ♩ ♫ ℘ ℑ ℜ ℵ ♏ η α ʊ ϟ ღ ツ 回 ₪ ™ © ® ¿ ¡ № ⇨ ❝ ❞ ℃ƺ ◠ ◡ ╭ ╮ ╯ ╰ ★ ☆ ⊙¤ ㊣★☆♀◆◇◣◢◥▲▼△▽⊿◤ ◥▆ ▇ █ █ ■ ▓ 回 □ 〓≡ ╝╚╔ ╗╬ ═ ╓ ╩ ┠ ┨┯ ┷┏┓┗ ┛┳⊥﹃﹄┌ ┐└ ┘∟「」↑↓→←↘↙♀♂┇┅ ﹉﹊﹍﹎╭╮╰ ╯ ∵∴‖︱ ︳︴﹏﹋﹌ ♂ ♀ ♥ ♡ ☜ ☞ ☎ ☏ ⊙ ◎ ☺ ☻ ► ◄ ▧ ▨ ♨ ◐ ◑ ↔ ↕ ▪ ▫ ☼ ♦ ▀ ▄ █ ▌ ▐ ░ ▒▬ ♦ ◊ ◦ ☼ ♠ ♣ ▣ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▩ ぃ◘ ◙ ◈ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ の ☆ → あ £ ❤ 。◕‿◕。 ✎ ✟ஐ ≈ ๑۩۩.. ..۩۩๑ ๑۩۞۩๑ ✲ ❈ ➹ ~.~ ◕‿-。 ☀☂☁【】┱ ┲ ❣ ✚ ✪ ✣ ✤ ✥ ✦ ❉❥ ❦ ❧ ❃ ❂ ❁ ❀ ✄ ☪ ☣ ☢ ☠ ☭ ♈ ➸ ✓ ✔ ✕ ✖ ㊚ ㊛ *.:。✿*゚’゚・ ◊ ♥ ╠ ═ ╝▫ ■ ๑ » « ¶ ஐ © † εïз ♪ ღ ♣ ♠ • ± ° •ิ. • ஐ இ * × ○ ▫ ♂ • ♀ ◊ © ¤ ▲ ↔ ™ ® ☎ εїз ♨ ☏ ☆ ★ ▽ △ ▲ ∵ ∴ ∷ # ♂ ♀ ♥ ♠ ♣ ♧ ♤ ♧ ♡ ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ﻬ ஐღ ↔ ↕ ↘••● ¤ ╬ ﹌ ▽ ☜♥☞ ♬ ✞ ♥ ♕ ☯ ☭ ☠ ☃ 유 ♥ 웃 ☺ ☻ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z a b c d e f g h ij kl m n o p q r s t u v w x y z α в ¢ ∂ є ƒ g ԍ н ι נ к ℓ м η σ ρ q я ѕ т ԏ υ νω χ у z ⓐ ⓑ ⓒ ⓓ ⓔ ⓕ ⓖ ⓗ ⓘ ⓙ ⓚ ⓛ ⓜ ⓝ ⓞ ⓟ ⓠ ⓡ ⓢ ⓣ ⓤ ⓥ ⓦ ⓧ ⓨ ⓩ á b ć d é f g h í j k l m ń ő p q ŕ ś t ú v w x ý ź Á ß Č Ď Ĕ Ŧ Ğ Ĥ Ĩ Ĵ Ķ Ĺ М Ń Ő Р Q Ŕ Ś Ť Ú V Ŵ Ж Ŷ Ź zʎxʌnʇsɹbdouɯlʞɾıɥƃɟǝpɔqɐ ﴿ *:-)* ^-^ :-) ^︵^ ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ε(̮̮̃•̃)з ๏̯͡๏ =_=| ๏̯͡⊙ (◣_◢) (◕_◕) ($_$) ♥‿♥ O_o ¬.¬ -.- (•̪●) (●̮̮̃•̃)●̮̮̮̮̃̃•̃̃) (>’_')> (=’.'=) (=’.'=) (>’.’

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 16, 2011
12:51 AM

Post #8499156

Charleen, I hope you found a worm for Abigail...I love hens in the garden, so useful at cleaning an area up..

Careful Chrissy, I see an obsession coming on...lol...though you are very proficient at it now.

Anthony, what a great game...good ending too...bad luck for Winderlich and Dempsey...hope they won't be out for too long...It would be terrible for Winderlich if he was out for the season...

Beautiful day forecast for tomorrow...GO CATS tonight.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 16, 2011
1:59 AM

Post #8499182

love boiled fruit cake, have a nice recipe that I haven't made in years.
No time for baking these days.
We haven't had many shakes lately, but tonight we were hit with a doozy.
5.3, 11km deep.
It shook for what seemed like ages, I was still at work & the other bar maid ran to one side of the bar to avoid falling glasses & I went to the middle with a wary eye on the spirits bottles but this time nothing came down.
Apparently there has been an earthquake in Nth Queensland, anyone on list feel it?
If so picture living with shakes like that for weeks at a time...
welcome to my world ;)
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/earthquake-rattles-north-queensland-townships-20110416-1dilf.html

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 16, 2011
2:08 AM

Post #8499185

my heart goes out to 'wunderlich' and 'dempsey',.carlton deserved to lose the game,through 'braindead' moves--sorry dianne,but the cats are*&*&*&*** already!!!swans have#******* 'sealed',some win,some lose,@#$%^&(**())+)((*(**&&^%^%$$%#$#$@#@#@!@!#@>>>>,..,THERESA_shakin all over?

This message was edited Apr 16, 2011 4:11 PM

This message was edited Apr 17, 2011 7:05 AM
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 16, 2011
2:30 AM

Post #8499189

it was shake rattle & roll alright!
but amazing that none of the stock in the chiller came down bar two plastic diet coke bottles that slid off the shelf.
I think because we have stocked up for ANZAC Day the stuff is so wedged in that it couldn't fall over.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 16, 2011
3:29 AM

Post #8499224

♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ Oh when you move right up close to me ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪
Sorry to hear about the shaking all over ...both up North and down NZ way,

♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪Quivers down my backbone ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ I get the shakes in the knee bone ♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ (brrrrrrr I am cold ...going to be a very cold winter.✲✲✲✲✲
Might even✲ snow✲ I hope we get some more☼ because we hardly saw any this Summer.
I hope everyone has their ☂ ready for tomorrow.
Yes Dianne I am a most stubborn person☠ when riled☠ and my character map thingy really riled me so I am just getting even with it treating me like a dope.
I suppose I had better✄ it out before I drive everyone nuts.☮
Enjoy your evening everyone❦

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8499660

We had hail and rain but no shakes, not unless I slept thru them.
Anthony I'm baking again, I'll let you know when it is in the mail...

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 16, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8500301

Chrissy, I think we've created a monster! lol εïз

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
2:24 PM

Post #8500318

I love it. Chrissy is doing great!!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 16, 2011

Post #8500366

Good morning everyone. Very crisp here this morning. Not frost but there is fog down in the valleys. Sitting up on the top of this hill , we can see whats doing all round.
Not much done yesterday but I did manage to get all the paths swept of the darn gum leaves. They drop year round and do not look pretty like the proper autumn leaves. The willow is getting yellow now and one of the ash trees has just about lost all its leaves. All my ash trees were self sown seedlings and this big one can never decide whether to be golden or claret. We have both here but I did read that the basic parent of them all is the yellow.
I would have a garden full of the colorful autumn trees if I could with not a gum tree in sight. Well maybe a few of the flowering ones . I love the gum trees out in the bush where they all belong. They have such personalities
My epi seedlings are looking good and I see I have a pod forming on my brug, Frosty Pink. I used some GHA pollen.
Lots of weeds coming up again after the last lot of rain. I weeded the iris beds but it seems all I did was make more room for the darn things. I will get out with the Roundup.
My echiums are going a bit dotty too. Usually Pride of Madeira blooms in the spring , but two plants are putting up flowers.
Lots of buds on the zygos too. I love walking around and seeing what plant is going to flower for me .
I moved a small oleander too. It was getting swamped by a large rose so now it is out in the open and I hope it grows a lot better than the two slow ones I have. .
Hello Anthony and Dianne, I gave up on football many years ago when it became a business instead of a fun sport.
Teresa, I do hope things will settle down soon . It must be hard on the nerves, never knowing when a shake is coming and then having them so often.
Hello Chrissy. I see you are having lots of fun with those characters. Not so many on my computer and I am no expert on copy & paste to get yours. I can copy OK but cant paste them anywhere. They just dont go.
Hello Charleen. I do like your little hen. She would be a good mate with you in the garden.
I do hope you and Louise are nowhere near those terrible tornados we saw on the news.
Hello everyone else. Pam, Karen, Marlene and Steve .
I'm going to finish my cuppa and see what I can do outside. The sun is just sneaking over the trees.
Have a great day and enjoy this Gingerbread Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 16, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8500554

We only got a little hail and much rain. All over now and it was a beautiful day.

This message was edited Apr 16, 2011 7:48 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 16, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8500597

some useless info jean-Jason Akermanis was holidaying in Merino last week,.He did his radio footy report from there on friday.,.,.Nice and sunny here,my back is really aching from my backyard battle[gardening] yesterday,..,[][][][][][][][][][][][]----------------__________________{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}_______________________+++++++++++++++++++()()()()()()()_______________

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 16, 2011
5:45 PM

Post #8500661

✖ ✗ ✘ ♒ ♬ ✄ ✂ ✆ ✉ ✦ ✧ ♱ ♰ ♂ ♀ ☿ ❤ ❥ ❦ ❧ ™ ® © ♡ ♦ ♢ ♔ ♕ ♚ ♛ ★ ☆ ✮ ✯ ☄ ☾ ☽ ☼ ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☻ ☺ ☹ ۞ ۩ εїз ☎ ☏ ¢ ☚ ☛ ☜ ☝ ☞ ☟ ✍ ✌ ☢ ☣ ☠ ☮ ☯ ♠ ♤ ♣ ♧ ♥࿂ ე ჳ ᆡ ༄ ♨ ๑ ❀ ✿ ψ ♆ ☪ ☭ ♪ ♩ ♫ ℘ ℑ ℜ ℵ ♏ η α ʊ ϟ ღ ツ 回 ₪ ™ © ® ¿ ¡ № ⇨ ❝ ❞ ℃ƺ ◠ ◡ ╭ ╮ ╯ ╰ ★ ☆ ⊙¤ ㊣★☆♀◆◇◣◢◥▲▼

Goodness Gracious! Somehow I lost you all! But now that I have found you again, it has taken me 45 minutes just to read all the posts and look at all of the pretty pics you've posted. And of course, I've had as much fun as the rest of you finding out how to play with all the symbols. Thanks, Chrissy for making it so easy to copy yours! I will have to take more time tomorrow to figure out the task bar addition for future use. I'll be back very soon to post some comments...for tonight I've run out of time. Yes, Jean, we are leaving in a couple days and I'm happy to get out of the furnace down here.

Welcome back, Steve. You've been missed!

Hello to you all...so nice to hear your cheery voices in your posts!
I'm leaving my lovely brugs behind and I'm so appreciative that they bloomed for me before we leave!! G'night for now!
Louise

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 16, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8500782

Sorry I am running late ...lots to do before the big storm coming again,
Terrible things happening over your way ladies ...Tornadoes doing dreadful damage, I hope you are all ok over there in the U S of A. Seems endless this 2011 ...hurry up and finish for pity's sake.

Just look at this little fella hiding from the wind and rain ...me too now !
I hope everyone has a safe and happy day.
Back after the Storm ...take care!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 16, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8500786

I forgot this one hiding under cover too it's so dark here right now it's like night time ...it's been like this almost all summer, no sun dark sky.
Sure hope the Sun will shine this Winter ...Bye for now

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 16, 2011
9:21 PM

Post #8501011

Louise, lovely to see you found us. Do you know the name of your lovely brug ? I have been down the back trying to raise the shadecloth so the taller brugs are touching it. Finally succeeded and I hope they dont grow much more until Spring now.
Have a safe trip back to NH. Those tornados over there are doing so much damage. One wonders what else Mother Nature can throw around. Definitely not a great start to this year.
I am going back out in the sun. A beautiful sunny autumn day here. I am pottering around just doing odd jobs.
Just nice to be out int he sun.
Chrissy stay warm and safe up there, along with all our other northern friends.
Anthony, I am surprised anyone could find Merino . Its just a very small collection of homes with the one store and a hotel.
We often get mistaken for Marino in SA.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 16, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8501019

[quote="g_whizz"]-sorry dianne,but the cats are*&*&*&*** already!!!swans have#******* 'sealed',some win,some lose,@#$%^&(**())+)((*

What was that, Anthony...lol

Hi Louise, safe trip home...

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 17, 2011
12:59 AM

Post #8501160

Hello everyone. Lovely to see the flowers, and the little critters hiding among them.

Went to the markets today, but no new plants. Lots of veges and fruit though. Even got some bananas which I could not afford at supermarket prices.

Had to laugh. My daughter wanted to know how I knew about events at their place. I didn't tell her, I read Facebook. Hahaha.

Karen
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 17, 2011
2:10 AM

Post #8501179

you know dianne{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}cats0000000000000000000][][][][][][][][][]swans______________________,..,who will you barrack for next#*^^week```~~~~~~~~collingwoods!``````````~~``~`~essendon!**************_+][][][][][]}{}{}{}{}{}{}_-633!@#@$@^%%*(&well thats 5 right,.,.only 4 working days this week!!!!!!!-anthony

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 17, 2011
2:34 AM

Post #8501187

Hi everyone!

Just popped in to read all the posts.

I had to repot a hanging basket with an unusual flowering plant.
Here is a picture.

Alisobia 'Cygnet'

Thumbnail by Marleneann

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 17, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8501309

http://www.facebook.com/taste.com.au
Nice winter recipes in this link time to drag out the crock pot and the ♨cookery books/garden /catalogues and a few woollies.
Loise and anyone who is interested in the characters, I copied and pasted them into an email to myself.
So then if you want to use anything in particular you can shrink your open page down and go into your email (put it in a special folder ) then copy.
Open up the page you are writing on again and paste ...like this ☮ ☯.

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

April 17, 2011
1:22 PM

Post #8502185

Thanks, Chrissy! ❤ I will do that! Great idea!

Jean - I don't know the name of my brug. It is a cutting from Thomas Edison's "parent" plant. Every year the Edison home (a couple miles down the street from me) has a one-day sale of cuttings from Edison's plants. He had an extensive and beautiful garden in his winter home here, and there are many nice tropicals there. I bought this cutting there a couple years ago.

I'm cooking for our neighborhood picnic tonight...a great chance to see all the neighbors before we leave. I'm making saffron rice with pork sirloin strips, black beans, peppers and onions.

Just stopped in to say hello! Stay safe everyone with all that bad weather!
Louise

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8502259

Louise, I lose them too. Butt after a day or two of no tea, I get desperate and backtrack...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 17, 2011
2:43 PM

Post #8502359

≈ ๑۩۩.. ..۩۩๑ ๑۩۞۩๑ ✲ Good morning everyone... I did it I did it... Thanks for the tips Chrissy, now I can play too.
...٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶...٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶...٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶...
Its a chilly morning here again but if the day turns out like yesterday it will be lovely. Lots of sun and quite warm..
I managed to extend the thingy I have holding the shadecloth up over the brugs so they are not bumping their heads . I have all my little lachenalias coming up in their tubs and also the chrysanthemums nearly out.
Colleen, the winter hippie is growing quite large now.
Hello Dianne and Pam. Pam, bananas were $12. a kilo at the supermarket last week. I wish we had markets close by.
I used to love going to the big Melbourne market when I was down there.
Hello Louise, no matter about the name of your brug, it is so pretty. It is very good of the people to spread the plants around with the sale A little bit of history in your garden. Have a safe trip to NH.
Hello Marlene, Karen, Teresa and everyone else out there.
I need another cuppa to warm my fingers. Have a lovely day and enjoy your gardens.
Try some of this delicious Chocolate Butter Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8502726

Beautiful Iris for my friends...

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 17, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8502801

Beautiful, Charleen and I really like your bird too.
sammut
western sydney nsw
Australia

April 17, 2011

Post #8502931

A very good after noon to Every One I have a new doctor new treatment and soooo improved feeling how I felt about 2 years ago with more improvment expected so good to be able to hang a basket of washing on the line with out a few a sit downs before its all done .
Can't wait to get into life again .--------elaine.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 17, 2011
8:44 PM

Post #8503189

early knock off at work,gloomy day,but bearable!i keep the fire chugging along for days l;ike this,'the cats like it!',..,anthony
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 17, 2011
9:58 PM

Post #8503251

Elaine, would love to know more. Can you D-mail me? I am getting worse each month, able to do less and less.
Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 17, 2011
10:29 PM

Post #8503262

Great news for you Elaine, sometimes changing Doctor's is a necessary thing...like us, they become complacent...

Very pretty Charleen...how are all your Brugs..are they outside yet?

What a pretty plant, Marlene...

Sorry that it's a gloomy day Anthony, did all of your OS seeds get thru safely?
I would love to say the Bombers can win, but I think that I will leave a victory against the Pies until the last sunday in July...barring more injuries...but it should be a ripper of a game on Anzac day.
What about the Blues v Adelaide...you should win that.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2011
7:36 AM

Post #8503727

Going to plant them out today. the sun is bright and calling me out to play.,
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2011
2:27 PM

Post #8504454

Good wet morning everyone. Has anyone started reading Jean Auel's latest book yet? Barry got it for me. I won't say anything though until others have read it.

Have a lovely day.

Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 18, 2011

Post #8504494

♬ ♪ ♭ ♫♪ ஐღ ஐღ ஐღ ஐღ ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ ๑۩۩.. ..۩۩๑ ๑۩۩.. ..۩۩๑ ๑۩۩.. ..۩۩๑ ๑۩۩.. ..۩۩๑ ✿* ✿* ✿* ✿* ✿*
Good morning everyone ... a bit grey here this morning and a little rain would be nice for the garden again. Not as nippy as the last few mornings so maybe some rain is hanging around..
Hello Elaine, lovely to hear that you are feeling better. As Dianne said, sometimes changing doctors can be a good thing. Good luck with your new treatment.
Karen, I do hope you can get improved results too.
Hello Anthony. I had to dig my asiatic liliums yesterday as I needed their space. I wanted to move them anyway and I was amazed at the size of some of the bulbs. They were enormous with lots of babies. They are now all out among the grasses etc in my front yard. I told them I expect to see lots of flowers next season. There will still be odd ones popping up where they were as bits dropped off .
Hello Charleen. Your garden must be looking pretty now that spring has arrived properly. pats for Charley.
Hello to everyone else. Colleen, Chrissy, Pam, Steve, Marlene.
Louise have a safe trip . Hugs for the girls.
Have to go and say good bye to hubby. He is off to a meeting of some of the CFA members over in Narracoorte in SA.
Have a lovely day and do find time to get out in the garden.
Try some of this tasty Apple Cake with your cuppa.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 18, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8504500

Karen, I am no.14 on the waiting list at the library , so have to wait quite a while. I just reread the last one Shelters of Stone .
Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8504617

Here is a pic took this week. Charley wanted to say "hi, Mates!!"

Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

April 18, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8504740

Good morning everyone,

Well, I am stumped!

I wrote a lengthy post yesterday, firstly to say hello to all and hope that those on the sick-list are on the improve. Secondly, to let Colleen know that I have a thriving Zanzibar plant..gorgeous glossy leaves...only needs watering...say a cup of h2o once a fortnight if that and, finally, requesting HELP.
The HELP/ADVICE post was about our prospective new home and its inappropriate garden etc. Lots of wood chip...fine food for termites...

Where did the post go?
Does a long post require editing by administration? I am not familiar with the ropes on this particular site.
It is a beautiful day here on the Central coast of NSW. Great sleeping weather at last, we had 12 degrees overnight and low humidity...a welcome change indeed.
Anna
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2011

Post #8505038

Hellooooooooo Charley and friends. Big hugs all round. Lovely to see you here.

Anna, I haven't lost any posts except those where I click "Browse" instead of "Send", and think its gone, only to be left wondering later what happened to my post. I've caught myself a couple of times now, so I know that's how I do it. Don't know if it is what you do though.

Jean, our library here has a very long waiting list for popular books. I've been numbered in the 400's for at least one book (forgot what it was, so long ago). I've got the other 5 of her books, but they are soft cover. The one Barry has bought is a hard cover, so I'll still have to get the soft cover when it comes out to make it a "set". Trouble is, every time they re-publish, they put a different series of pics on the front, so mine don't really look like a set anyway.

Looks like I'm house sitting for the next few days or so, as my neighbour is going south to celebrate her mother's 90th birthday. Isn't that a wonderful achievement! I don't recall anyone in my family getting to 90. Maybe I'll be the first?

Karen

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 18, 2011
7:28 PM

Post #8505185

Good afternoon everyone!

Another miserable day here on the Sunshine Coast.
I tried to do some gardening and got very dirty. Too messy to repot.

Charleen...I like your bird. Actually that is exactly what I am looking for for a certain part of my garden.

Anna...are you new? I can't remember seeing you before but then the memory is not like it used to be.

I went to the Sunshine Plaza yesterday and it was so busy. School holidays and wet weather. I had to park a fifteen minute walk away. Might as well have walked from home.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 18, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8505249

Hi Marlene. I've found the shopping plazas busy here too. The big ones have the cinemas, and the kids are lined up for the pics. Always crowded during the holidays.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8505343

Gosh too late to say good morning ...oops☹
I got carried away weeding and checking things in my much (at present) neglected garden.

I feel so guilty when I see kikuyu runners invading pots and garden ...with all the rain it does not take long.
One of my Brugs didn't look happy and I wanted to find out why so I upended the pot only to find it was full of an ants nest, eggs, workers ...the lot scurrying in all directions.
Part of me even felt a bit sorry for them because I have a sneaking admiration for ants (except when they come inside or take scale around the plants).Just as well they don't want to take over the World because I reckon they would certainly win.
Well I washed off the roots and replanted it ...hopefully it will recover.
So watch your pots everyone.

Hi Elaine so happy you are feeling better ...you go girl !

Big hugs and pats for Charlie.

Colleen school holidays ...a very busy time for you.

Sorry for everyone suffering illness and sore bits I hope it all gets better soon.

The posts sometimes go poof ...what happens is that when your post takes a bit of time to write the signal may drop out or if someone is posting at the same time the last post may be thrown out too.
If it's long copy and paste just in case ...it saves a lot of frustration.

Yay Jean you have got it !✿* ✿* ✿* ✿* ✿* see you can learn time for lunch ...hubby just walked in .
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 18, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8505350

another early finish,'things are slow' ,ah well,cant have everything!!!!!Dianne,we might get an 'honest ' win this week.,.4 days off,''you beauty'',..,will get busy with bulb orders ,over easter,.and maybe a quiet 4xxxx or two.

Thumbnail by g_whizz

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8505406

Sorry I had to rush off ...hubby only wanted a pie so that was quick ...what would we do without our micro wave ...and it saves so much electricity, I can't believe I fought against getting one years ago, I used to keep his dinner warm on a saucepan of simmering water ...you know with the inverted plate on top. Hubby comes in at odd times and it can be frustrating.
The Micro wave saves so much worry about ruined food.

So Anthony you will be having some down time? enjoy it mate ...cheers!

My days are pretty much the same here ...holidays or no holidays,it's strict routine with an invalid in the home.
I do get a bit of cabin fever now and then ...but it's ok.
We don't have many visitors because George has a low immunity and we can't risk it.

I miss my nursery jaunts but in a way I have so much fun playing with my Angels that it isn't all that bad.
Golly I just imagine if there was a nursery full of stunning new release Brugs ... I would ever to be able to afford to even eat, I would be a hopeless case ...so I will make my own :-)

Well better go eat myself now ...I sometimes forget until I get head spins.
A big wave to everyone.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 18, 2011
9:03 PM

Post #8505449

I'm inside as the fog/mist turned into rain. Hubby has go e to his meeting and I am waiting for the carrier to pick up a parcel. of hubbys They should have been here yesterday but as long as it goes today, I wont worry.
Karen, my aunt is 100 this July, if the dear is still with us then. She always said she wanted that telegram from the Queen, but sadly, I dont think she will know anyway.
Better go and check on things outside in hopes the rain has stopped.
I love those lorikeets. None down here but we do get rosellas, especially when the apples are ripe.
Keep dry everyone. Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 19, 2011
1:18 AM

Post #8505630

Jean, I am in the middle of rereading Shelters of Stone, I liked it much better this time around...couldn't get into it when I first read it.
I bought the latest book for my daughter so she is half way thru...me next..

Hope that you have a productive weekend Anthony...Will the bulb that I am buying from you be ready soon?,
I have to start selling newspapers and bottles, so let me know...lol

Posts do disappear Anna, most times we forget to send, as I did the other day...but now and again it won't be your fault...
Do as Chrissy said, long post, copy it...then it's retrievable, not so frustrating...
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

April 19, 2011
1:56 AM

Post #8505651

'lankongense'-dianne,one of the little chaps will see daylight soon i think,.these will bloom this season,[you crack me up] newspapers and bottles!!!!i'm buying big bags of rice and boiling an old pork knuckle into it!!!mmmmmmm!!!.,.did you sort out the 'duchartrei potting dilemma'? reminds me,!i only just remembered to plant mollys mini daff bulbs today!-i bought some hanging baskets to put them in,she got about 30 prizes,..,''smart young lily exhibitor isnt she?''..best look aftyer self Chrissy-you only get 1 go at it,and when i dont eat,i start to get 'nasty',.,.the days of doing multiple security jobs ,showed that up,.,jean,your aunt karen has had a 'bradman' innings,good luck to her!@!! CMON JEAN
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

April 19, 2011
2:38 PM

Post #8506948

Today is one of those rare days where I can do whatever I feel like doing, and when I feel like doing it. With luck, it may not rain. I need to try poisoning the weeds again. I've had 2 goes at it, but its like doing a rain dance. As soon as I do it on a warm, bright sunny day, within a couple of hours, the clouds come rolling in and it doesn't just rain, but is a deluge. I think its a plot! Grrr...

Strange, I never planted any cassias, but there are cassias in bloom all around the fenceline. Where did they come from, and how did they get so big without me noticing?

Hope y'all have a lovely day.
Karen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 19, 2011
2:59 PM

Post #8506978

Good morning everyone. Very dull out there after rain most of the night. It wasnt cold during the night and I am walking around without a jumper at the moment. I have no doubt it will get cold later. Seems to be around 8.30am when the temp drops for some reason. Maybe as the sun gets up it pushes it down . LOL.
I have just been out to get the water off the plastic roof on the brom house. I am buying another of the cheap greenhouses on eBay next week so that will be the new brom house. They may not last years but my first one is still good after about 5-6 years. I simply put shadecloth over the whole thing when the plastic breaks down and have an instant shadehouse. If you put some light shadecloth over it when new, it will not deteriorate in the sun so quickly
I have lots of bulbs coming up now and I even saw a few of the ranuncs and anemones poking through. I moved a small salvia yesterday and I see that one of my large Geraldton Wax trees has now died right off ,so more room for salvias. I have them spread around along the path in the front yard and lots more together in the orchard garden, Once the Geraldton Wax is gone, I can plant at least a dozen more salvias. I have been looking at a near black one on eBay. I must see if I can get it. Must take more pics of the salvias too. Maybe today if it doesnt rain again.
Anthony, I reread my post from yesterday re. my aunt reaching 100. . Sorry , it did read like her name was Karen. I was meaning it as an answer to our DG Karen . My dear aunt is another Elaine. Its a marvellous thing to reach that age, but you do see a lot more people now reaching the century than years ago.
Hello Chrissy. I have been watching my brug buds. No sign of them going brown at all. I must get out and take photos again.
Hello Dianne, Colleen, Karen, Pam and Elaine.
Teresa, how is your garden coping with the bumps and jumps ?
Hello Charleen and Louise. I do feel for all those over there in those awful tornados.
Better get myself going as i have washing on.
Have a lovely day and try some of these lovely mixed Cream Cakes.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Annabellaaust
Sydney NSW
Australia

April 19, 2011
4:04 PM

Post #8507129

Good morning everyone,

Another attempt.

We have been looking at a new townhouse, 1st in a row of 4. The ?gardens are wood chips and few odd and sods planted to resemble a garden. We had the building & pest inspections done; pest report states thast wood chips attract termites. 1 in 3 homes in Australia have termite infestation apparently! (Subsequently there was a segment about termites on one of the current affair programs about this). The pest report went on to say that the chips should be moved back from the walls with a concrete/brick strip 7.5 around the house to keep the chips at bay.
Also, there are 3 camelias planted at the front garden of each TH..our prospective neighbour is very concerned that they will grow too big, too quikcly and block the entrance. Along with the camelias the builder had planted an assorment of flax, magnolia, gypsy plant etc. all requiring different watering, feeding etc.
Another issue is that the colorbond fence at the back and two sides looks very, well, awful; I thought of planting rows of clumping ghost bamboo to provide a sense of quiet, privacy and wind control, and would be good backdrop for some appropriate plants..courtyard (Linda Ross-garden clinic- radio 2GB,had planted a ghost bamboo hedge and is very effective). I am open to advice about hedge plants. A long time ago we had a home that I planted a hedge of lilly pilly that created the desired effect but was very slow in growing.
Any HELP and ADVICE on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Collen, hope that he holidays are proving rewarding and that the yabbie hunting day was a great success.
For those of you still not feeling 100%...stay well and positive and take very good care.
Anna
p.s Marleann...I have been around for a number of months now...do not post often as I live in 9th flr. unit and only have small balcony that lacks sunshine for 5 months annually...do not have anything wonderful growing to speak about. With the help of Colleen and Jean have some pretty plants...mainly greenery. However, I do pop in regularly to read about your wonderful gardens, cooking skills, family and other interesting things happending around Australia and I notice a couple of folk ofrom the US.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 19, 2011
5:37 PM

Post #8507335

Anna, the townhouse sounds rather nice. It sounds as if the gardeners did a fair job of plants that will take minimal care.
The camellias are easy care and can be cut back to a nice size each year. I have seen them as a hedge that is severely cut each year . Once the magnolia is established, it will need only basic watering . Same with the flax etc. Just a feed in spring for the magnolias and camellias.
As a quick growing hedge for the color bond fence , I would suggest trying some Abelias if they grow well in the area. There are several varieties and they respond very well to pruning to shape or just leave them as is. Again , low maintenance with minimal watering. Mine survive on rain alone and flower beautifully most of the year.
Hope this helps. Others may have better suggestions for the area.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 20, 2011
1:00 AM

Post #8508000

Not better, Jean...just alternative...Anna,what about Bottlebrushes...all colours, 6ft in 2yrs, no care, trim to size wanted.
I have them and I love them.
I agree with Jean re the Magnolia and the Camellias...nice choices for a bit of colour..

Yes Anthony, the "Duchartrei" behaved itself after trying to escape the first time...It sent up another shoot much later, which came up in the right place...the escapee disappeared and the proper one is dying down now...
I will have you know, Anthony, that when I was a kid, you could get 1d for 1 lb of clean newspapers from the fish and chip shop and
1/- for 12 beer bottles...can you imagine having the fish and chips in newspaper now...mind you the ink in todays papers would probably poison you.

Night all.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2011
9:24 AM

Post #8508786

Hello everyone!

We have magnolia trees and camilia's here. I will have to take some pictures. My magnolia trees are budding all over. This is the first year they have been so plentiful.

My camelias. Mine do not grow very fast at all.

We also have problems with termites. We have a company that comes and sprays every year. If you see one, then we just call and they come back out again. I guess they are a Global problem. Jen in Hawaii said she was having her house "tented" for termites.

I agree with you Chrissy, I think the ants would take over if they had half a chance. We have fire ants here. They are a nusiance. We have to put ant killer out regularly.

I love reading all of your threads and am amazed how similar things there are to here as well.

I just had a "cream cake" this morning! DS went to the bakery. Mine was caramel with a bavarian cream filling...so yummy. We also had Kolaches. His was an apple filled bear claw freshly made this morning.

Must go look at the garden. Have to run errands this afternoon.

Bye Y'all!
Jeanne
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 20, 2011
2:44 PM

Post #8509338

Good morning everyone. Very nippy here this morning but no sign of rain. Yesterday was fine in the afternoon so I did some more trimming around the paths. Its amazing how quickly the plants grow back after a haircut. I managed to get most of the dead Geraldton Wax out and now have a lovely new space for the salvias. I will use cuttings from those I already have as I do like them. There is the near black I saw on eBay though and also a red & black one. I have a blue/white one that grows about 5-6 foot so will put pieces of that at the back. I am watching a bud on one that I am hoping is a yellow. I must get out and take a few more pics as there is a beautiful royal blue/white out now.
Anthony, did you manage to get back to this Tea Room ? How are you going with your liliums ? I had no pods form on any of my asiatics though there was lots of pollen spread around on them.
Hello Jeanne. Lovely to see you back again. Sounds like you had a lovely day out with some tasty nibbles. My favorite when out for a cuppa is always a muffin, I do love the blueberry ones.
Hello Dianne. you are right about the bottlebrushes, they are lovely. I have about 10 around. I do find they look a bit messy when the flowers die . They are quite quick to grow but isnt it a shame the flowers dont last as long as other plants ?
I have 3 abelias which are very rarely without flowers .
Found 2 more irises with buds. They are going mad. One is a seedling which hasnt flowered before so I am waiting to see what color it will be.
Hello Elaine, Colleen, Teresa, Karen and Pam.
Charleen, keep showing us your pretty garden.
Louise, you must be nearly on your way. Safe trip and we'll see you when you are settled back in NH.
Going out in the sun now, even though its chilly. I have seats placed strategically around so I can enjoy all parts of the garden.
Have a happy day.
I'm getting in early for Easter so try this pretty Easter Cake
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8510120

Hi Jean! I too have seats around the garden where I can take a break!

When I watered the garden today I noticed some of the hybrid daylilies are scaping, and my baby plumerias from seed are now on their second summer and are leafing out.

I need to repot so many things. My sister from Mississippi is coming home tomorrow so I will want to visit with her most of the weekend. She's lived there many many years. It will be so great to visit!

Have a great weekend Everyone and Happy Easter! Praise the Lord! HE lives!!!!!

From one "77" to another!

Jeanne
gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 20, 2011
8:47 PM

Post #8510161

77sunset wrote:
Hello Dianne. you are right about the bottlebrushes, they are lovely. I have about 10 around. I do find they look a bit messy when the flowers die . They are quite quick to grow but isnt it a shame the flowers dont last as long as other plants ?

I planted willow-leaf bottle brush next to my 'waterfall', fortunately it was mainly for the weeping foliage, as the flowers only last around 3 or 4 days before they are looking quite daggy. I had big ideas of creating a Monet-like effect with natives near the water's edge of my dam, and the bottle brush was to be in place of the weeping willows. I've popped in 3 or 4 separate lots of waterlilies, but the snails demolish them literally overnight, so I've pretty much given up on that idea for the time being.

Some bottle brushes seem to last much longer than others though, for sure. My neighbour has a beautiful watermelon coloured one with gold tips which seems to be in flower for a couple of months twice a year. Sadly she doesn't remember which one it is.

Hello to everyone, hope you all have an enjoyable Easter. There'll be no hubby, daughters or babies here for a couple of days as of tomorrow, so I'm planning on making the most of the chance to catch up on a bit of weeding. Here's hoping the weather stays fine.

Pam
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 20, 2011
8:56 PM

Post #8510176

Heres a pic of one of the Abelias. This is a pretty pinkish weeping one. Already about 4 foot tall and planted last year. Never gets watered , just rain. . It is in a very heavy clay soil which sets like a rock in summer.. One thing about bottlebrushes, being natives, they dont like some fertlisers , so one has to watch when putting any out. Thats why all mine are out in the orchard where I never throw any fertiliser.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2011
6:09 AM

Post #8510659

I have a little garden cart that I changed into a planter. got these mini roses blooming.
Jean I don't want to wear you all out with my pictures. Love showing them tho.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 21, 2011
7:38 AM

Post #8510852

Been banging on the door of the tea room all day ...keeps slamming in my face every time I try to get in the door (Maybe the thread is toooo looong )

It's way past bedtime so I will just wish everyone a holy ... gentle, safe and happy Easter ____ †__ †__ †____
Chrissy.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8511277

You too Dear friend and many Blessings..
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2011
2:18 PM

Post #8511606

Good morning everyone. I dont know who is keeping people out of this Tea Room. Maybe a bad gremlin.
I take the hint Chrissy and will move us . I hope the gremlin gets lost somewhere else so all our lovely friends are able to come in for their cuppa.
try some of these lovely Hot Cross Buns while you wait.
We have gone over to a new thread...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1174972/
Jean.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 8:33 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America