Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds: Do the seeds I collect "expire?"

Communities > Forums > Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seedsReplies: 2, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mel72
Selkirk, NY

March 30, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8461160

I have been gardening for several years, but this is the first time I've collected my own seeds. Instant addict!!! I agree with someone else who said you start to look at flowers and plants in a completely new way. I'm obsessed.

Anyway, my question is, do the seeds I collect have to be sown within the next growing season, or do they "expire?"

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with newbies like me.

PS love your writing style, Critter! I've read tons of your articles :)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2011
4:28 PM

Post #8461219

Thanks!

Most seeds are "good" for at least five years if stored properly. Room temperature works fine, but a hot attic wouldn't be good. If you're storing them in plastic bags, make sure they are completely dry before sealing them up (or you'll have moldy seeds). A lot of seeds are good for much longer than 5 years, although their germination percentage may drop a little. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part there's no rush to sow your seeds immediately.

I'm glad you're having fun collecting seeds!
Mel72
Selkirk, NY

April 3, 2011
2:23 PM

Post #8469360

Ok thanks so much for the info. Looking forward to reading more of your articles!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Neat guide there! Dinu 15 Oct 17, 2008 4:10 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. LouC 1 Oct 16, 2008 2:40 PM
Good phicks 1 Oct 16, 2008 3:55 PM
Great for the beginers! adinamiti 4 Oct 16, 2008 6:28 PM
Thanks Sundownr 1 Oct 17, 2008 2:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America