Flowering in April

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Well here we are in April, so I will start a new thread with a lovely tree that I have admired for years. I took the pix yesterday, so really still in March.

LOL. No, not an April Fools Day joke! :)

Ceiba speciosa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_speciosa

The name plate on the tree reads Bombax ceiba.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Ceiba speciosa

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thorns...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

More blooms...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

At the end of blooming, a pink carpet is formed below the canopy of fallen flowers.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

One last pic.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Ha ha! April Fools! :)))))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Sydney, Australia

Oh beautiful Wayne ...I admit I scratched my head at the sign on the Silk tree but I thought I must be crackers :)
You forgot to leave a street post sign for folks, I hope you don't mind but I thought I would put it up for you
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161342/

West of Brisbane, Australia

The flowers on the chorisia (aka ceiba) are like orchids, aren't they? I've got two that I grew from seeds (the largest is shown below) and I've also given some away. I believe that they are easily grown from cuttings too, if you want to try that Wayne--perhaps grow it as a bonsai?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's my variegated abutilon with the flower now properly open, with the flower from the dwarf abutilon for comparison (dwarf in growth only; the flower is normal sized). The small flower on the variegated abutilon might look good planted beside an iochroma, for those growing them ...

This message was edited Apr 1, 2011 9:58 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's my Cherry Ripe (spelling?) allamanda growing thru my no. 2 champaca. You can see the distinctive foliage of the Bauhinia corymbia at the top of the photo, as that's also making its way up thru the tree.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Hello everyone.

I got a big surprise today when I found my Happy Plant was in flower.

At least I think it is a flower...mmmm...maybe seed pods?????

Thumbnail by Marleneann
se qld, Australia

Their fragrance is heavenly, Marleneann.

Merino, Australia

My nerines are all popping out all over the place . I noticed that one of the reddish orange is more red than the others, I must watch it and keep separate to see if it will be the same next year. Nice if it is.
This is the orange.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Here is the red. It doesnt look as different in the photo but is a definite red not orange as the others.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Sydney, Australia

Marleneann I hope you bought a lottery ticket those plant blooms are supposed to brink good luck !, I have heard they smell heavenly.

Jean those red firecrackers are beautiful!
cestrum I only have the ordinary lanterns except for one seedling that became a double pink. I have yellow ...white ...rose pink single and double and this mandarin colour. They have decided to finally bloom now it's getting into Autumn.
Here they are up there in the sky ...very much an Autumn scene here.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

My weird hippies are blooming a second time this year ????
Not as pretty as Spring but interesting ...first time that has happened ...do they think it's Spring?

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Do persimmon count as bloom??? oh well despite the awful damage (you can see the ruined leaves) we still are picking so very many we can't keep up.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

These are the non astringent variety ...you can eat them once there is colour ...you needn't wait for them to go squishy ...hubby loves them.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Finally here comes the Fire Spike bloom ...lovely thing! looks like it's made of something lacquered ... very attractive when they bloom.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Persimmons have such a beautiful colour, could be worth growing them for just that alone.

There are some superb abutilon hybrids available overseas. Monterey Bay Nursery in California has some to-die-for A. megapotamicum hybrids: check these little beauties out:
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_meg_ines1.jpg
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_meg_victory1.jpg
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_meg_sunset1.jpg

And some lovely colours of A. hybridum:
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_harvest_moon1.jpg
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_apricot1.jpg

Just a few among the many they have listed. But only if you live in the US.
I reckon it's time we Aussies started breeding some ourselves :-)

Merino, Australia

cestrum. you are not a good person showing me those.. I want them. Hubby did buy me one that looks like the one called sunset in your link,. a few years ago. Its still going even though its hidden in the other shrubs. I have a miniature yellow with that same narrow shape. I really must get cuttings going . Probably not a good time now but I may try a few in the mini greenhouse that is inside the large greenhouse. Double the protection from the cold.
Jean. .

Those were just a few of the abutilons on that website; they truly have a mouth-watering selection.
So Jean ... start pollinating!

Albizzia julibrissin--the seedling has developed purplish leaves after all.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2011 10:43 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
barmera, Australia

Wayne, please, please, can you tell me what the joke was above.? It's been driving me crazy trying to work it out. I don't know the tree so maybe that is it. Colleen

Sydney, Australia

here is the right one ...Colleen the tree is often called by the wrong common names.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVN_M8-iJc&feature=related

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Quote from ctmorris :
Wayne, please, please, can you tell me what the joke was above.? It's been driving me crazy trying to work it out. I don't know the tree so maybe that is it. Colleen

That I stated "One last pic"... ... ...
and it wasn't! :))))

Pretty lame I know. AFD allows us to be eight year olds, even if it is just for one morning each year.

I didn't realise that another stalk of the Hedychium coronarium was in flower until I smelt that wonderful French-perfume scent. Divine!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here's my punnet of abutilon seedlings this morning.
How healthy are they!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Christchurch, New Zealand

this normally only flowers in spring...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Nemesia still flowering their hearts out.
The ones I didn't dead head ruthlessly have set seed & I have been throwing that around where I would like to see a bit of colour.
Whether the seed comes up is another matter.
It does well in some parts of the garden & I have quite a range of colours in the mauve to pink range, some two toned & some solid so it is fun seeing what comes up - and the nicest ones I can take cuttings from & increase them that way as well.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Alas, my double-pink abutilon was out of stock but look at the variegated one: same as Jean's Abutilon hybridum 'Savitziiis' I think.
This one's going under the protection of the old clothesline!

Actually, I think the two might be different. Look at plants at http://www.hmaplants.com/prod/index.php?token=1
Savitziiis is described as having green and white variegation on the leaves, while Souvenir de Bonne is described as having green and cream variegation. Mine is more cream than white.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 11:29 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ
Clifton Springs, Australia

Those variegated Abutilons are very attractive......I wonder what you will get from your seedlings?cestrum.....I hope that you get something different...I'm sure that you would have mentioned it, but where did you get your seeds from?...

Wayne, thank you very much for the Cosmos seeds and the Canna....you recommended S.indigo spires to accentuate the orange cosmos......I had to smile when I read that, because before I came home and found your surprise parcel, I had just purchased S.mystic spires...probably not as dark as Indigo spires, but close....

That Snipping tool feature on Windows7 is marvellous....so easy to save pics and articles from anywhere on web.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Maybe a bit late to sow the Cosmos Dianne. Keep them for September.
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/article.php?id=6018

I hope that is the right Canna. As I mentioned, we have three "yellows" growing together.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Clifton Springs, Australia

A very pretty picture ,Wayne.

Sydney, Australia

Lovely pictures everyone ...pssst Dianne please where is the "snipping tool" I have looked around and can't find it.
Does it store info somewhere? I would love to store pages somewhere in the thingy without cluttering it too much.
Sorry everyone OT *blush*

nemesias at this time of the year? such dainty little fairy flowers aren't they.

More Hippies all coming into bloom ???
strangest season ever here .

My nemesias have been a revelation...
I had never heard of them until I saw some orphans & thought they looked pretty.
I planted two purple & one white.
They grew well, I took cuttings just to see if it would work.
it did!
I divided up big clumps the following year, then I left the dead heading a bit late & tried the 'instant compost' trick of burying the trimmings there in the garden - and to my surprise baby nemesia came up - I never thought the dead heads contained viable seed.
And the nemesias start flowering in spring & continue until the coldest part of winter - they still flower in frost here.
I give them a good trim at that stage & let them rest till spring.

Quote from chrissy100 :
cestrum ...yesterday I simmered the Ylang Ylang blooms and the house was filled with the exact essential oil fragrance of the Ylang Ylang.
When I cooled it down later the water was scented and it lingered on my skin for hours ...it lost the rubber notes and became more floral after " cooking".
---

Gosh, Chrissy--I didn't even think to do that! Part of the reason is that it's simply so hard to get to the blooms. Look at where my main flowering plant is--yes, the tallest tree growing above all the brugs. So not only do I have to extend the loppers to their maximum height, but I have to somehow get them thru the tangle of brug branches to get to the ylang ylang (Cananga odorata) blooms.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Couldn't see the blooms? LOL Here's a closeup

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Here they are on the other flowering tree. Easier to reach but they're growing over the boundary fence and so are likely to fall into the neighbours' yard if pruned!

I found that when the flowers are quite green they smell predominantly spicy--to me like cardamom. Then, when they mature, they develop a more complex fragrance with definite lemony notes (remember that cardamom does have some lemon notes in it as well). I'd classify the fragrance as belonging to the Cestrum nocturnum family--not that ylang ylang smells like that cestrum, just that it is a spicy fragrance. (BTW, I assume you grow C. nocturnum?)

And yes, it does waft. But outside it's virtually scentless during the day, just like most of the brugs. I wonder if it smells all day in the tropics? Will be interesting to see when Mya's plant flowers ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.