Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Flowering in April

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 108, Views: 694
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 31, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8462872

Well here we are in April, so I will start a new thread with a lovely tree that I have admired for years. I took the pix yesterday, so really still in March.

LOL. No, not an April Fools Day joke! :)

Ceiba speciosa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_speciosa

The name plate on the tree reads Bombax ceiba.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 31, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8462878

Ceiba speciosa

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 31, 2011
12:02 PM

Post #8462879

Thorns...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 31, 2011
12:03 PM

Post #8462880

More blooms...

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 31, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8462884

At the end of blooming, a pink carpet is formed below the canopy of fallen flowers.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 31, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8462889

One last pic.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

March 31, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8462892

Ha ha! April Fools! :)))))

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 31, 2011
4:33 PM

Post #8463501

Oh beautiful Wayne ...I admit I scratched my head at the sign on the Silk tree but I thought I must be crackers :)
You forgot to leave a street post sign for folks, I hope you don't mind but I thought I would put it up for you
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1161342/
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 31, 2011
4:49 PM

Post #8463538

The flowers on the chorisia (aka ceiba) are like orchids, aren't they? I've got two that I grew from seeds (the largest is shown below) and I've also given some away. I believe that they are easily grown from cuttings too, if you want to try that Wayne--perhaps grow it as a bonsai?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 31, 2011
4:52 PM

Post #8463546

Here's my variegated abutilon with the flower now properly open, with the flower from the dwarf abutilon for comparison (dwarf in growth only; the flower is normal sized). The small flower on the variegated abutilon might look good planted beside an iochroma, for those growing them ...

This message was edited Apr 1, 2011 9:58 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

March 31, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8464078

Here's my Cherry Ripe (spelling?) allamanda growing thru my no. 2 champaca. You can see the distinctive foliage of the Bauhinia corymbia at the top of the photo, as that's also making its way up thru the tree.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Marleneann

Marleneann
Sunshine Coast
Australia

April 1, 2011
12:38 AM

Post #8464231

Hello everyone.

I got a big surprise today when I found my Happy Plant was in flower.

At least I think it is a flower...mmmm...maybe seed pods?????

Thumbnail by Marleneann

gardengal
se qld
Australia

April 1, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8465286

Their fragrance is heavenly, Marleneann.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 1, 2011
1:36 PM

Post #8465303

My nerines are all popping out all over the place . I noticed that one of the reddish orange is more red than the others, I must watch it and keep separate to see if it will be the same next year. Nice if it is.
This is the orange.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 1, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8465307

Here is the red. It doesnt look as different in the photo but is a definite red not orange as the others.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
4:08 PM

Post #8465554

Marleneann I hope you bought a lottery ticket those plant blooms are supposed to brink good luck !, I have heard they smell heavenly.

Jean those red firecrackers are beautiful!
cestrum I only have the ordinary lanterns except for one seedling that became a double pink. I have yellow ...white ...rose pink single and double and this mandarin colour. They have decided to finally bloom now it's getting into Autumn.
Here they are up there in the sky ...very much an Autumn scene here.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
4:11 PM

Post #8465561

My weird hippies are blooming a second time this year ????
Not as pretty as Spring but interesting ...first time that has happened ...do they think it's Spring?

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8465566

Do persimmon count as bloom??? oh well despite the awful damage (you can see the ruined leaves) we still are picking so very many we can't keep up.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8465569

These are the non astringent variety ...you can eat them once there is colour ...you needn't wait for them to go squishy ...hubby loves them.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 1, 2011
4:20 PM

Post #8465582

Finally here comes the Fire Spike bloom ...lovely thing! looks like it's made of something lacquered ... very attractive when they bloom.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 1, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8466058

Persimmons have such a beautiful colour, could be worth growing them for just that alone.

There are some superb abutilon hybrids available overseas. Monterey Bay Nursery in California has some to-die-for A. megapotamicum hybrids: check these little beauties out:
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_meg_ines1.jpg
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_meg_victory1.jpg
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_meg_sunset1.jpg

And some lovely colours of A. hybridum:
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_harvest_moon1.jpg
http://www.clivia.com/A/abutilon_apricot1.jpg

Just a few among the many they have listed. But only if you live in the US.
I reckon it's time we Aussies started breeding some ourselves :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 1, 2011
10:12 PM

Post #8466245

cestrum. you are not a good person showing me those.. I want them. Hubby did buy me one that looks like the one called sunset in your link,. a few years ago. Its still going even though its hidden in the other shrubs. I have a miniature yellow with that same narrow shape. I really must get cuttings going . Probably not a good time now but I may try a few in the mini greenhouse that is inside the large greenhouse. Double the protection from the cold.
Jean. .
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 1, 2011
11:25 PM

Post #8466265

Those were just a few of the abutilons on that website; they truly have a mouth-watering selection.
So Jean ... start pollinating!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 2, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8467638

Albizzia julibrissin--the seedling has developed purplish leaves after all.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2011 10:43 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

April 3, 2011
12:19 AM

Post #8468155

Wayne, please, please, can you tell me what the joke was above.? It's been driving me crazy trying to work it out. I don't know the tree so maybe that is it. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 3, 2011
2:18 AM

Post #8468170

here is the right one ...Colleen the tree is often called by the wrong common names.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVN_M8-iJc&feature=related
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 3, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8469076

[quote="ctmorris"]Wayne, please, please, can you tell me what the joke was above.? It's been driving me crazy trying to work it out. I don't know the tree so maybe that is it. Colleen[/quote]

That I stated "One last pic"... ... ...
and it wasn't! :))))

Pretty lame I know. AFD allows us to be eight year olds, even if it is just for one morning each year.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2011
2:12 PM

Post #8469332

I didn't realise that another stalk of the Hedychium coronarium was in flower until I smelt that wonderful French-perfume scent. Divine!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 3, 2011
2:21 PM

Post #8469355

Here's my punnet of abutilon seedlings this morning.
How healthy are they!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 3, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8469741

this normally only flowers in spring...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 3, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8469757

Nemesia still flowering their hearts out.
The ones I didn't dead head ruthlessly have set seed & I have been throwing that around where I would like to see a bit of colour.
Whether the seed comes up is another matter.
It does well in some parts of the garden & I have quite a range of colours in the mauve to pink range, some two toned & some solid so it is fun seeing what comes up - and the nicest ones I can take cuttings from & increase them that way as well.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 6, 2011
6:22 PM

Post #8477017

Alas, my double-pink abutilon was out of stock but look at the variegated one: same as Jean's Abutilon hybridum 'Savitziiis' I think.
This one's going under the protection of the old clothesline!

Actually, I think the two might be different. Look at plants at http://www.hmaplants.com/prod/index.php?token=1
Savitziiis is described as having green and white variegation on the leaves, while Souvenir de Bonne is described as having green and cream variegation. Mine is more cream than white.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 11:29 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 6, 2011
9:44 PM

Post #8477482

Those variegated Abutilons are very attractive...I wonder what you will get from your seedlings?cestrum...I hope that you get something different...I'm sure that you would have mentioned it, but where did you get your seeds from?...

Wayne, thank you very much for the Cosmos seeds and the Canna...you recommended S.indigo spires to accentuate the orange cosmos...I had to smile when I read that, because before I came home and found your surprise parcel, I had just purchased S.mystic spires...probably not as dark as Indigo spires, but close...

That Snipping tool feature on Windows7 is marvellous...so easy to save pics and articles from anywhere on web.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 6, 2011
10:31 PM

Post #8477505

Maybe a bit late to sow the Cosmos Dianne. Keep them for September.
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/article.php?id=6018

I hope that is the right Canna. As I mentioned, we have three "yellows" growing together.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 7, 2011
1:06 AM

Post #8477546

A very pretty picture ,Wayne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 7, 2011
1:16 AM

Post #8477552

Lovely pictures everyone ...pssst Dianne please where is the "snipping tool" I have looked around and can't find it.
Does it store info somewhere? I would love to store pages somewhere in the thingy without cluttering it too much.
Sorry everyone OT *blush*

nemesias at this time of the year? such dainty little fairy flowers aren't they.

More Hippies all coming into bloom ???
strangest season ever here .
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 7, 2011
3:39 PM

Post #8478933

My nemesias have been a revelation...
I had never heard of them until I saw some orphans & thought they looked pretty.
I planted two purple & one white.
They grew well, I took cuttings just to see if it would work.
it did!
I divided up big clumps the following year, then I left the dead heading a bit late & tried the 'instant compost' trick of burying the trimmings there in the garden - and to my surprise baby nemesia came up - I never thought the dead heads contained viable seed.
And the nemesias start flowering in spring & continue until the coldest part of winter - they still flower in frost here.
I give them a good trim at that stage & let them rest till spring.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 9, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8483799

[quote="chrissy100"]cestrum ...yesterday I simmered the Ylang Ylang blooms and the house was filled with the exact essential oil fragrance of the Ylang Ylang.
When I cooled it down later the water was scented and it lingered on my skin for hours ...it lost the rubber notes and became more floral after " cooking".
---[/quote]
Gosh, Chrissy--I didn't even think to do that! Part of the reason is that it's simply so hard to get to the blooms. Look at where my main flowering plant is--yes, the tallest tree growing above all the brugs. So not only do I have to extend the loppers to their maximum height, but I have to somehow get them thru the tangle of brug branches to get to the ylang ylang (Cananga odorata) blooms.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 9, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8483807

Couldn't see the blooms? LOL Here's a closeup

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 9, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8483813

Here they are on the other flowering tree. Easier to reach but they're growing over the boundary fence and so are likely to fall into the neighbours' yard if pruned!

I found that when the flowers are quite green they smell predominantly spicy--to me like cardamom. Then, when they mature, they develop a more complex fragrance with definite lemony notes (remember that cardamom does have some lemon notes in it as well). I'd classify the fragrance as belonging to the Cestrum nocturnum family--not that ylang ylang smells like that cestrum, just that it is a spicy fragrance. (BTW, I assume you grow C. nocturnum?)

And yes, it does waft. But outside it's virtually scentless during the day, just like most of the brugs. I wonder if it smells all day in the tropics? Will be interesting to see when Mya's plant flowers ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8483936

Much more fragrant in the evening and early morning ...I have made Floral waters before with the various fragrant blooms but this was the strongest fragrance so far.
Gently simmer the blooms for about twenty mins and about a teaspoon of white vinegar in the water for each cup of liquid ...I used 2cups of water and simmered it back down to reduce to one cup.
The house was strongly fragrant for hours afterwards ( I used pre boiled and cooled water to start.)
So have some fun.
Try it with lots of things like Buddah's hand/lemon/mandarin rinds etc.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 9, 2011
11:02 PM

Post #8484274

[quote="Seachanger"]...

That Ylang Ylang sounds wonderful...sigh[/quote]

Dianne, it is unusual and pleasant--will have to see if I can get another bloom down to try distilling it as Chrissy describes--but it is not the best fragrance in my garden. I would have to say that the hedychium (in flower again) is, with that superb fresh citrusy French perfume fragrance--night AND day. And, just now as I was cutting down more of the cestrum hedge, another lovely fragrance wafted over from a plant that is still only about a foot high--the sweet olive (Osmanthus fragrans). You could grow at least one if not both of these scented beauties.

Don't get me wrong--I'm glad I grew the ylang ylang and don't intend to turf out any of my trees. But, having grown it, I can now move on. I guess though, that sometimes you just have to grow it for yourself!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 9, 2011
11:50 PM

Post #8484297

cestrum what you say is true ...the white Ginger is just a most glorious exotic fragrance but to distil and retain it is the problem ...many blooms are delicious to the nose but do not work well because the oil is in small quantities.
Some flowers just smell like green leaves after this process. I actually saw the oil droplets floating on top of the water.
This is why I recommend oily things like citrus to experiment with.
Another way is to place petals into a distilled water on a warm window sill for a few days ...or warm the petals gently in petroleum jelly (melted) ...allow to cool and you have a solid perfume after straining (keep in the fridge).
Google for ideas.

The sweet olive is one of my favourites and blooms almost all the year here.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 10, 2011
12:14 AM

Post #8484305

Chrissy, I was just talking about the fragrance in the garden. But you're saying that the ylang ylang is superior in making a distilled fragrance? I will take your word for it ... in fact, that is what it is used for commercially. But so far as fragrance in the garden goes, it is not the outstanding perfume among my plants.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 15, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8498041

Raining today, our jungle is enjoying every drop.
Had planned to dig and divide Agapanthus inapertus 'Pendulus' today. A big clump now shaded by a crepe myrtle. We have been growing on a pretty form of prayer plant - Calathea, to replace the agies. They will do well in the dry shade.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 15, 2011
1:23 PM

Post #8498047

The edge of the jungle.
We have over planted the Chinese ground orchids (Bletilla striata) with Ajuga. A great gap filler!

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

IMCANADIAN
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3a)

April 16, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8500792

Are you people trying to kill me with ENVY?

I am so green I might start 'ribbiting'! Joelle
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 17, 2011
12:00 AM

Post #8501134

Hi Joelle. Yes, Kermitville here at present! :)
We did get around to digging those agies. The sun has been out most of today, so some good gardening time. The Calatheas went in OK. Should look good in a years time.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 17, 2011
12:04 AM

Post #8501139

Some time back, Steve "Budgieman" gave me a Dahlia tuber that we decided to name 'Tequila Sunrise'... Can't imagine why? :)
The plant is doing just fine here. So thank you Steve wherever you might be.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 17, 2011
12:05 AM

Post #8501140

Dahlia 'Tequila Sunrise'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

IMCANADIAN
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3a)

April 17, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8502288

That Dahlia is beautiful!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 17, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8502581

love the colour on that dahlia, and as tequila sunrise used to be my fave drink in night clubbing days I can see why you gave it that name...
right now it is cold, wet & blowing ferociously - my garden is looking battered & there is no way I am going out there to take photos of the few plants in flower, my white nerines are up & look really nice, you'll just have to take my word for that ;)
the drive is covered in leaves - in two days the Robinia freesia has shed half it's foliage & the claret ash along the street are doing the same - go away wind & rain I want to rake up that lovely free mulch!

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 17, 2011
10:04 PM

Post #8503253

I have a bottle of Grenadine in the cupboard, Teresa...I always drink TS in the summer.
The Robinias and the Claret Ashes have been lovely this Autumn...very little wind...

I thought that I replied to you cestrum, but the post isn't there...must have forgotten to send it.
I have O.fragrans and O.heterophyllum...only small yet, about 2ft...

We bought a Greenfield " Piecemaker" about 7 yrs ago, it has been a terrific mulch maker...today it got it's Autumn run...
There was so much growth everywhere...Pumpkins, Beans,Zucchinis all the remains of the plants, chopped up...not as productive a year as last year...too cold, but plenty of growth.

The garden can breathe now, just in time for all the bulbs and winter annuals to pop thru...and they are rushing to do that.
That is a pretty Dahlia, Wayne...your Bletillas must put on a lovely show...I think that they are seriously under used...

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 17, 2011
11:07 PM

Post #8503274

mmm Grenadine, haven't seen that in a few years, I got some Duty Free on a trip back to Aussie when I was flatting, it was nice to make myself proper TS.
lots of bars just use raspberry syrup, tastes ok but not the same.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 18, 2011
10:34 PM

Post #8505534

http://homecooking.about.com/od/cookingwithalcohol/r/blalcohol5.htm here is a home made recipe for that Grenadine ^_^
Beautiful Dahlias Wayne.
Steve is down fixing cabinets and stuff at Sussex Inlet.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 20, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8510178

Not a flower, but very pretty fungi. Lots of different ones around now.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 20, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8510187

My ever faithful bougainvillea. It hasnt yet given up flowering even though it has been very cold.
Seems to be the only one that will grow for me . I have given up buying any others as they all die.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 20, 2011
9:00 PM

Post #8510190

I love this salvia and it has grown to around 3 foot high now.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 21, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8511977

Salvias are great plants Jean. Does that one have a name?

Yesterday I took a few pix at "The Monastery" - Sorry, not the best shots, I am getting use to this camera. Thought you cottage garden folks would like these. The gardens are set out on a rooftop (underground parking). The cloister surrounds the garden with the church at the south end. In plan the garden is based on a Celtic cross. I visit here once a fortnight, the gardens are full of herbs, veggies, perennials and annual "usefulls". There are numerous ornamental shrubs.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 21, 2011
4:40 PM

Post #8511991

The tree at the end is Acer platanoides 'Crimson King'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 21, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8511995

A garden bed.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8512029

Lovely Wayne. Its always nice to see these types of spaces used for some sort of gardens.
Many of the salvias did have names but I have lost the tags. Some were unnamed , just cuttings.
I must look in my papers and see if I can match any names with the plants.
I do know this one is S. leucantha pink. I also have the more common lovely purple.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8512083

That's a very tranquil-looking garden, Wayne. Hard to believe it's built on an underground carpark.

An errant bulb of pink Hedychium is flowering now, months after the mother clump flowered. For the first time I noticed a fragrance coming from it, very slight but definitely there. Hmmm, could it be something to do with this autumn weather?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2011
5:23 PM

Post #8512086

Jean, a friend of mine has salvias all throughout her garden, including a particularly pretty pink and white one that self-seeds (in the nicest possible way) in nooks, crannies and between pavers. It gives the garden a lovely impressionist-style cottage look.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8512095

I was watering the new sugarcane mulch bed under the old rotary clothesline when the mulch suddenly came to life.

I had palpitations. (I'm from Melbourne, remember.) And then I gave chase. Well, first I got the camera after my heart slowed down :-)

The wretched thing is now in the shed, under an upturned bucket with a couple of terracotta pots on top to stop the bucket being overturned. Later, when I've fortified myself, I'll have to get it into a plastic bag--a couple of plastic bags--and bung it into the (empty) freezer until rubbish day.

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 10:35 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8512239

cestrum. how awful to see one of those. I hope there are no others in your garden.
I've just been out taking salvia pics. No creatures like that here, thank goodness. Lots of different fungi around. Not flowers but attractive in an odd way. I get lots of tiny ones in the pots when the weather is damp like this This lot are all around the base of the alder tree which has died.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 21, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8512246

This blue & white salvia is nearly done now . It is one of the early flowering ones and grows to around 6'-7'high. I stuck a broken piece in the ground a couple of years ago and now have one almost the same size . I love them. I dont have any that have self seeded though.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 21, 2011
7:16 PM

Post #8512371

Jean, that first Salvia looks very much to me like 'Waverly'.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&rlz=&=&q=salvia waverl...
Here is S. 'Anthony Parker'.

"The Monastery" garden is just on 15 years old. It is built on a car park rooftop, you would not know it was there from ground level. As winter approaches, the maple will turn scarlet; just wonderful in front of the weathered brickwork of the church. Another treat is the garden at night, especially when the lights are on inside the church.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 21, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8512377

Salvia 'Waverly.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&pq=salvia+wagneriana&xhr=t&q=salvia+waverly&cp=10&wrapid=tljp1303438473174312&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1441&bih=693

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 21, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8512472

Lovely pics again, Wayne...
Jean, I am becoming very fond of those Salvias, I have more than I realized..
Wendy's Wish
Hot Lips
Navajo Dark Purple
Navajo Rose
Mystic Spires Blue
Heatwave Glitter.

If there are any that you don't have..let me know.
cestrum, I would be sharing your fright...I would be very careful using that mulch, forever more,...yucko.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 21, 2011
8:02 PM

Post #8512489

EEEEEK! ...my cousin just grabs the gulf club and ...
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 21, 2011
8:41 PM

Post #8512574

Eww Cestrum!
Pulse must have been racing!
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8512589

It's bad enough trying to squash those large locust-type hopping insects--no way am I going to try squashing something larger than my fist! It will just have to freeze to death. [Easier on both of us.]

The cestrum diurnums have been flowering on and off thru the growing season. Still only the faintest of fragrances, if that ...

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 2:05 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2011
8:50 PM

Post #8512590

The plants now have more seeds than flowers ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 21, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8512597

See all the fruit setting ...mine is covered in little fruits and is also blooming flush after flush :)
I wanted to take some pics between different things going on here only to find a flat battery ...sheesh I hate that.
Maybe later if the visitors go before dark.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 21, 2011
8:54 PM

Post #8512598

But can you smell anything, Chrissy???

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 22, 2011
1:07 AM

Post #8512789

Only a very faint scent ...I wouldn't call it scented but it may be in different weather, I am looking forward to the little fruit turning a nice colour, mine are still green. It's a nice plant. :)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 22, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8514318

I wonder if this is one of those plants that seems unscented at first but will develop a fragrance later?
I've noticed that the mature dark-purple berries are mainly found on the branches growing in more sun; those in more shade have mainly green berries. BTW, the berries are poisonous to livestock and people but apparently birds love them.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 22, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8514321

I need to cut this moonflower back because it's wrapped itself around the light. But it's flowering so well I'm postponing it ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 22, 2011
10:03 PM

Post #8514491

Cestrum, you will like to hear that I have a new buddlea. Looking up at the top of my very large smokebush, I saw yellow where there should be none. My yellow buddlea is on the opposite side of the path and must have self seeded without me knowing, as the new plant is about 9' tall. I leave that corner to do its own thing with the grey smoke bush , the echiums and the huge yellow daisy.
If the plant has made it up through all that it deserves to stay. I do like the light perfume of the little yellow ball flowers on this buddlea. I never cut the parent but I must get to the others as they are along the window. Must get more buddlea pics in spring when the others flower.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 22, 2011
10:24 PM

Post #8514502

No chance of a photo of your yellow buddleja flowering now, Jean? Would love to see it :-)
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 24, 2011
5:26 PM

Post #8518187

Here's that pink and white salvia that self-seeds all over my friend's garden. Such a pretty effect ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 24, 2011
5:27 PM

Post #8518192

Never noticed this before: Brazilian Red Cloak (Megaskepasma erythrochlamys).

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 24, 2011
5:28 PM

Post #8518199

Can't believe I've never noticed this before either. It looks like an orange shrimp plant!

I'm wondering if this is Justicia fulvicoma? There's a DG pic of it here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/91678/ Looks pretty similar

But have a look at this beauty: http://www.bustaniplantfarm.com/images/Justicia-fulvicoma_002.JPG I wonder if this is a particular cultivar selected for its superb flowers?

This message was edited Apr 25, 2011 1:03 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8518606

Cestrum, I cant get a pic of the yellow buddlea as yet. The only flowers left are waaaayy up at the top. It has small yellow flowers in a ball , not like the longer flower stems of the usual buddleas. I really must remember to get pics of them all when in flower. I like the yellow because even though it is rather a spindly tree, ( arent they all ) it seems to have flowers for a longer time that the others. It grows many more small branches unlike the others which seem to put out the very long branches. I do like the subtle perfume too.
Considering it is practically under the large willow and is still over 10 foot tall, I think it does well.
That is a very pretty salvia too.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 24, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8518610

Might it be a Buddleja globosa?
See http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2199/
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 24, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8518751

thats the one cestrum.
Jean
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 24, 2011
10:10 PM

Post #8518768

That's a great plant; I bought one but it died. I've found a lot of my buddlejas are dying because they hate the summers here, so I'm not replacing them. I'm pretty sure it's the humidity that weakens and then kills them, not the heat itself. I don't think dry heat is a problem for them.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 25, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8519763

You are probably right cestrum. We dont usually get much humidity here. For that matter, we dont get much of asummer either. mine all thrive on total neglect. The tree my yellow buddlea came from was really large and looked just like an ordinary gnarled old tree. I think it must be many years old as the lady herself was a fair age too.
I have the white and light mauve near the lounge window. They grow those very long branches and I do have to cut them back every year. I have smaller darker mauve which lives next to the archway so grows through the creepers there and does look pretty way up in the air. I had a beautiful one years ago in Bright.
I would love to get it again but have never seen it sold anywhere. . It was a color I would have to describe as a bright red/burgundy purple.
I like to watch out New Holland Honeyeaters on the buddleas. They come right next to the window as I have also a lovely dark pink abutilon between the buddleas. The honey eaters love abutilons . When the buddleas are out in full bloom , the yard is always a mass of butterflys.
Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 25, 2011
7:08 PM

Post #8520512

Most buddlejas should be pruned once a year, time varying according to when they flower (so that next season's flowers aren't cut off). But if you have a system that works in your garden, then why change it.

Look at this Buddleja madagascariensis, one of the few buddlejas native to a tropical climate and therefore able to handle the humidity. I had such a hard time getting the first cutting to strike, but this one has rooted in the sugarcane mulch after being pruned off a month or two ago from that initial rooted cutting ... which had grown thru the pot and into the soil and begun to run riot under the old clothesline.

My abutilons are all still babies, but it will be interesting to see if birds are attracted to them here too ...

This message was edited Apr 26, 2011 12:09 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 26, 2011
3:25 AM

Post #8520918

David Austin's 'Heritage' rose with Melianthus major and Salvia 'Anthony Parker'.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

April 27, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8525035

Paphiopedilum insigne var. sanderae

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 28, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8525744

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]Can't believe I've never noticed this before either. It looks like an orange shrimp plant!

I'm wondering if this is Justicia fulvicoma? There's a DG pic of it here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/91678/ Looks pretty similar

But have a look at this beauty: http://www.bustaniplantfarm.com/images/Justicia-fulvicoma_002.JPG I wonder if this is a particular cultivar selected for its superb flowers?

This message was edited Apr 25, 2011 1:03 PM[/quote]

Very Nice Cestrum,I have the ones with the pink tongues .The variegated shrimp is doing extremely well here ,even got some cuttings rooted now,we've still got temps of 28C through the day and 19C night time temps,so things are still growing.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 28, 2011
5:20 AM

Post #8525771

Mya the ones you sent me are growing well here ...thankyou very much ^_^

how is your garden growing now ...getting back on your feet up your way ?
I have some cuttings for you in the Spring.
Edited to say it's pretty cool here those temps sound wonderful.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 11:22 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 28, 2011
3:50 PM

Post #8526873

Another of my irises blooming out of season. Mesmeriser

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

April 28, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8526875

The first of the zygos for the season
A noid , but pretty. She is always the very earliest.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 28, 2011
5:59 PM

Post #8527175

Any chance of a photo, Mya?

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

April 29, 2011
1:13 PM

Post #8528668

Mya - I am green with envy at those temps...
and blue with cold - we had -1C two mornings in a row.
The frost season has begun, and I forgot to cut my last tomatoes off the vine before it hit.
My camellias are just starting, I have a white one that is first up - it started blooming while we were away for Easter.
It is a different kind of camellia to the rest - they all get tall & bushy, it seems to be more weeping in habit.
Makes it tricky to prune as I don't know how to get the best from it.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

April 29, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8529218

Oh you have frost already? you poor thing :(
We are feeling the cold and wet here this morning but nothing as bad as that ...stay warm inside.
Why do you want to prune your camelia? just after blooming is a general rule of thumb but if you have frost I would leave it alone until Spring.
MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 29, 2011
7:01 PM

Post #8529337

[quote]Any chance of a photo, Mya?[/quote]

Sure, here it is,the colour of the tongue blends in with the shrimp flower, where yours really makes a statement because it's such a contrast.

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 29, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8529343

My Frangi seedling still flowering,however because of the lack of humidity, they are smaller than a month ago and not as yellow.

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 29, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8529352

my banana,I read that once they have 14 leaves they will produce their flower,I have 11 leaves on this tree,I'm fertilizing and watering like mad,hoping to bring on a flower.

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 29, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8529361

Duranta,geisha girl...I planted these after the cyclone to bulk up areas as we lost a lot of hedging

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 29, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8529371

I have so many desert roses in flower ,must be the time.My bougs are struggling at present, they must have had too much rain

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 29, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8529372

Closeup of one...

Thumbnail by MyaC

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 29, 2011
7:14 PM

Post #8529376

My husband hates these,I have threatened him with the real things if these go for a walk about.

Thumbnail by MyaC

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

April 29, 2011
11:06 PM

Post #8529575

Mya, nice to see that you garden is recovering well...Great Roosters.

Love your Desert Roses, they are so pretty...the ones that you gave me have doubled in size...it was touch and go for a while with the watering, but now they are growing well...
The little Frangi met with an accident, a rotten slug ate it clear through the middle...but that was in January and it hasn't died, so I am hoping that it will shoot next summer...
Nice to see you back on the forums with your lovely garden pics...

These are the beautiful berries on my Callicarpa...such a gorgeous colour.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

April 30, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8530738

Those temps sound perfect, Mya. Down to 10 degrees at night here, although the days are lovely.

Don't know if it is actually Justicia fulvicoma or just a hybrid of Justicia brandegeana. And if it is a J. fulvicoma, could it hybridise with the brandegeana? I'm trying to grow my yellow, brown and variegated justicias in the same bed. Because they set seed readily, I'm hoping the bees might cross-pollinate them and create some seedlings with different coloured flowers. (Anything except white LOL)

This message was edited May 1, 2011 8:12 AM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

MyaC
Magnetic Island
Australia
(Zone 11)

April 30, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8530819

[quote]Don't know if it is actually Justicia fulvicoma or just a hybrid of Justicia brandegeana. [/quote]

I think it's the real thing cause look at the colour orange along the whole tongue,regardless you have it.

I also have the browns and yellows mixed hoping for something different.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America