Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Spring To-do Lists: Planning

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring To-do Lists
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring To-do ListsReplies: 4, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2011
12:04 PM

Post #8462881

I have done lots of planning in my garden. I plan for it to be interesting in every season but that takes time to accomplish so it's a work in progress. I have removed all turf and installed paths and beds. I strive for balance, I repeat things to give connectedness. I plan for the height of plants to be in the right place taking into consideration entries and windows. I plan for sun exposure and whether it will grow in my zone. I assess my garden regularly to see if I'm getting what I want. I use native xerics to conserve water. I do all this planning (lots and lots of planning and researching) usually starting on paper. Think what a shock is was when a lady walking her dog said, "I like to walk by here to see your yard. It's sorta whimsical." !!!! And here I was, thinking It's so organized. I have no clue what her idea of "whimsical" is but I knew "whimsical" was not what I was aiming for...at least my definition of whimsical.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

April 5, 2011
4:24 AM

Post #8472957

LOL
Ahh, steadycam, maybe gardening brings out your subconscious whimsiness!
Maybe you are just very resourceful?
I am really not into whimsy, so a little goes a long way!
I don't go out and buy weird little lawn and garden ornaments. But my kids and friends feel compelled to search lovingly for gnomes and frogs and glass balls and such and gift them to me on Mothers' Day.
I smile and dutifully stick them out in the garden.
By midsummer they disappear from view beneath the foliage, which is fine with me!
Have you noticed that meticulous gardeners, who are always busy researching, planning, and working their garden plans have this magical ability to make non-planning, non-gardeners think it all happens by accident?
Every spring in the nursery and in my neighborhood young people come by who lust over magazine photos and want to make their yards look just like the photos?
I love those who are open to going home, taking soil samples, measuring, and researching a bit before running out to buy whatever and put it wherever.
The others? Not so much!
It hurts my soul to sell plants and trees to folks who want instant gratification without engaging their brains or getting their hands dirty.
The worst are the folks who spend thousands of dollars buying plants that they shouldn't buy, having a gardener plunk them in place, then abuse and neglect the plants and ask for refunds.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8475006

Thanks for your support. I do have a more naturalistic setting with non square beds. Maybe the appearance seemed whimsical to her. I'm glad she liked to look at it. Cam
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

April 6, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8475382

LOL
Well, maybe she is a big fan of the formal gardens of ornate Italian villas?
Or perhaps nature is whimsical to her?
Maybe she thinks gardening is just too "hard" because she feels like she has to always be in control of it.
Interesting.
I planned my garden with curves, oblongs, and circles to offset the hard edges and straight lines inherent in an older housing development. It's worked out well!
Like you, I've worked with the "rules", and broken a few, to make the garden look and feel less formal and more naturalistic.
Sure don't want to have to go out with shears every other day to keep anything in line.
Would much rather enjoy the natural forms and content.

Thumbnail by jazzy1okc
Click the image for an enlarged view.

steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8476493

Beautiful shot of your garden. I saw there one of my favorite "weeds". I have a whole bed of Mexican Petunia but mine are not blooming yet. They are glorius in bloom. I'll get a shot of them this year and post. Been meaning to do so every year. I use "weeds" that are beautiful such as flea bane and wild strawberry, Queen Ann's Lace. If I had the space, I would try a weeds-only garden... but organized, not just a wildflower meadow. Using natives is a goal in my garden so beautiful weeds that are workable are welcome here. Cam

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring To-do Lists Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I have a lot of landscape brick KristinDC 2 Apr 16, 2012 5:36 AM
Alternative plans jazzy1okc 0 Apr 4, 2011 4:25 AM
changing sloping grass area to plants meflotoo 2 Apr 16, 2012 10:09 AM
Have a healthy, algae-less pond? keferraro 0 Apr 16, 2012 7:50 AM
Changing sloping grass area to plants cowboydj 0 Apr 16, 2012 10:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America