Photo by Melody

Central Midwest Gardening: April and finally Springtime?

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 146, Views: 863
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8465050

Hope Spring is here to stay now!! LOL.

Happy April Fool's Day everyone!! It's a lovely day out today and I need to go check on my roses to see if they need any pruning this year. Hope everyone is out enjoying the sunshine!!

I look forwards to seeing this kind of lushness again!! We're sloooowly getting there though. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2011
12:16 PM

Post #8465167

Hey, pepper I looked for the Bannister Peony Farm and came up with peony.net in Raymore, MO?
Then if you want a small day trip there is Hollingworth Nusery up north of me. They have more than 1100 different peonies and approximately 35,000 plants growing in the collection at this time. When I went there I picked a $350.00 peony, must say I have good taste with no money...rofl. Needless to say I didn't get it, but did find some reasonable price ones.

Will going to sisters next week, will dig rose and bring to you. I will dmail you exactly what day later this weekend, so you can give me directions.

We are going to have a great weekend.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2011
1:14 PM

Post #8465276

Okay happ, sounds great.
Yes, 70s this weekend, boy, I can't wait! It's like on nice days, buds will swell up and little leaves might come out, then on cold days nothing happens! lol
I think you're close, I searched it is http://www.peonies.net, it is in Raymore though, I think they have a garden center on Bannister Rd., never been there myself. Wow 15 Peonies, that would be pretty if there was room for them all and they bloomed nicely. There is one here in the shade and it kinda languishes. Haha! Join the club, "taste with no money" is me too I think!
That is a really nice pic of a waterpond there, Pepper. I could only dream to have one like that!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8466232

Oh, I'm nowhere near a competitive player of Chess. When I play at Yahoo Games for instance, I lose prolly 9 out of 10 games
or worse. That nephew of your's would very likely make short work of me in a game of Chess!

Oh, I know billyp, I sometimes wonder really, "how did I get this much money"? Well, actually, its pretty easy I guess, saving every penny! For
example, I got gasoline for the first time, yesterday, since Dec. 12th of last year!

So, you're the gang leader eh, Sally?!

Yeah, we've skunked each other alot at Chess at times. It's easy to get discouraged early in Chess if you make bad moves alot like I do.

I test drove another car today. This isn't a bad car. I am pleasantly surprised at it's good condition for it's age and miles. But, him and the car have several
strikes against them. First of all, he's a dealer posing as an owner on Craigslist, I figured out. Second, he says he is going to replace a fuel filter, "thats all
this stutter is. If that doesn't fix it when I test drive it again, the deal is off, it has a bigger problem. And another bad thing is, he didn't tell me the odometer
had been replaced because it's broke. He is desperate, he has been calling me back after trying to get me the first time at $500 higher. He can't sell it prolly
because he is trying to get a dealer's price for it as an "owner", which he isn't..lol But, it really is an exceptional car, if he does all the things
he says he is, I might have a new car. I need an economical car before gas hits $5 a gallon!

Here is a Honeybee on the Weeping Cherry 'Snow Fountain'. I forgot to hit macro on the camera first, the bee didn't come in so well and everything else
in the background did!

I can't believe the temps they say are coming up, I'm in shock!

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 2, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8466886

Look guys stopped at a garage sale and got a great antique bird bird. It didn't come apart and DH had to drive the tractor down and pick it up with the loader. I am so dang excited...I haven't had time to clean it up but had to show it to you all. It is so cool, and I got it for 20.00! Things like this NEVER happen to me.

Thumbnail by happgarden

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2011
5:08 PM

Post #8467566

I LOVE that birdbath!!

Will got the peony place right. My friend has a catalog but no prices so I sent her the link. My favorite was 150 bucks. LOL. Prairie Charm. lol

The temps are perfect for my Boston Fern finally!! I took it outside and gave it a major haircut just a bit ago. LOL. It went from full and half dead to almost bald but with little ones coming up. lol.

Went to hockey game last night and we made Wichita look like wimps. LOL. Won 5-0 and when there was about 4 min and 35 secs left 3 guys on each team got into a fight which during play offs is a no no. LOL. They were bound a determined to fight though and we encouraged them. lol. Good game all in all and I was laughing my butt off at the end. It was great!! lol

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2011
6:46 PM

Post #8467725

Well I hope it's spring with all the work I've been doing in the garden today!

First up, onion seedlings planted out. To the right is my garlic planted last year.

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8467731

Next, my lettuce and spinach plants, and where I seeded more. Also shallot seedlings.

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2011
6:48 PM

Post #8467737

An overview of all the early spring plantings, the peas are along the bottom of the retaining wall.

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8467740

Some early spring pretties now... Narcissus

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8467742

Hellebores

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2011
6:50 PM

Post #8467744

And more hellebores.

Thumbnail by Cybrczch

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8467787

My hellebore haven't even snapped out of their partial hibernation yet. Do they usually bloom this early or later in the season?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2011
6:38 AM

Post #8468474

New thread!

Thanks Pepper! Beautiful waterfall! That's exactly what I would want in my yard!

Happ, ROTFL! I love that. ''Good taste with no money.'' That's me too!

There are so many more peony colors now than the three old one's I have. It is hard to find room for them. Mine will fill in a 4' square area and I think a really huge one in the back yard has grown a bit more! Eeek! I have to prop it up as it is. I do believe I need to widen the bed a teensy bit :o)

Will, the weather sounds great!!
Laughing, I've been saying ''a penny saved is a penny earned'' since I was a kid. That's exactly how it happens! It's so nice to see it add up.

I think since there's two of us it's safe to say I'm the leader :o)

Well, next time you get to drive it, run right to a mechanic. Then you'll know, but hold tight to your price if you can. It would be great to get a decent car!

I'm glad to see the bee and the bloom :o)

Happ, what a treasure!! It's a perfect robin bath! I keep looking for wide and deep and not so light it blows over! And $20.00? Amazing!!

Pepper, ROTFL! I could not go to any event with ice at this time! But I'm glad you had fun!!

Cybrczch, neat gardens, and don't those little plants look perfect! It's so nice to see what others have blooming. I have nothing yet and the crocus are starting to go limp. They'll be gone soon.

I put down my Iris Borer Control and Preen last night, finishing all the bags I had. Now they are back on the grocery list because I won't be without! I sat outside till 7:30 pm because it was so nice. Every neighbor but the one behind me, was gone. I love being the only one home. It's so quiet!

There's a chance for severe storms this afternoon and could have been raining at 6:30 am. It wasn't, but I sure did want to get all the poisons down!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2011
9:25 AM

Post #8468759

Thanks billyp, it's really not that much! I'll be lucky to find a decent car with it. I never heard back from that dealer guy. I didn't really act that interested in that car, it had so many question marks.
I think he may have just thought he should try to sell it to someone else.
An antique birdbath?! You are an american Picker! Just kidding, beautiful birdbath happ, I'd be excited too.
Nice flowers cyb, you've been hard at work in the garden.
I'm trying to make a screen-like top for the rainbarrel, so it don't get so full of everything but water!

Cybrczch

Cybrczch
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

April 3, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8468798

Thanks billy and short, of course this morning I go outside and find the furry tail rats have managed to dig up nearly a quarter of the onions - didn't eat them, just dug them up and left them laying on the ground. Also dug up the area I planted the lettuce seed.

I think it was the squirrel's way of saying "we know they're gone". About 6 weeks ago Geri, one of the 2 cats here, finally died from old age (he looked like he could go at any time during the past 2 years). Last night Tregul, the little grey furred girl kitty, climbed up on the couch and went in her sleep. When they would go out and enjoy the sun in the backyard, the cats would discourage the squirrels from bothering the plants. Now the back yard is the squirrel's new playground, and they know it.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8469028

Wind advisories and 90% chance of storms tonight. Good chance they will be severe too. Winds right now are steadily blowing 40 mph. But it sure is nice out!!

Went out and weeded my garden bed a bit today too. Have clover, dandilions and those ruffled leaves with purple flowers plants trying to take over. lol. Got some out and left the others. Still hoping to make it a full fledged raised bed this year.

Oh! Daffodils are starting to bloom and some of my tulips are blooming finally. Just a few right now but it's a start!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
4:30 AM

Post #8470557

Will, the guy wasn't on the up and up. If you had taken it to a mechanic you would have found out what you needed to fix immediatly before you could even drive it.

If you can find a small roll of window screen, that might work for the rain barrel.

Cybr, that happened to me one year and I found it was the grackles pulling up the onions with a green stem poking thru the dirt. They thought they were worms I think, LOL! My neighbor had something pulling up her newly plante tomatoes! Planting garden is fun, but only the first time around!

Pepper, this rain is what we needed to just get things to continue growing. We had a little ground moisture, but they all needed a kick in the pants! I have things a few inches out of the ground and stagnating :o(

I worked on weeding all afternoon and evening. It was cloudy and breezy and we opened windows! I had to wait till after 7:00pm for any rain. What a light show tho! Thick bolts down and sideways. The electrical were really curly rather than fingers. It was something! There was a chance for ping pong and golf ball sized hail, but not here. I heard hail, but couldn't even see it, LOL! I don't think we got much rain, but at least we got some. Enough to wet the stuff I put down Saturday. I am still going to water the astilbe. I thought maybe a couple died out last Fall when it got dry. This rain will tell what is still living :o)
Justgrowin
Adrian, MO

April 4, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8471377

HI thought I would pop in for a bit and warm up! Trying to get things set up for spring and the weather just won't cooperate. Will need to protect plants tonight it sounds like.
Read that someone was interested in peonies. I have 3 colors, pink, red and white. They are in one gallon pots. Send me a dmail for more details.
Well, going to get something warm to drink, rest and back at it!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
1:42 PM

Post #8471637

Sunday DH and I went to Menards and got 144 concrete blocks to make raised beds. Actually got one done yesterday.
Now I have to figure out what I am going to fill them with. Soil wise.

Love the gardens Cyb. I had lost all my outside dogs and it didn't take long for me to learn it was either an outside dog or deer...I don't have any squirrels, my house is built in the middle of a field and all the squirrels stay in the creek area, thank goodness.

Looks nice outside today, haven't been out since early early morn, someone said below freezing tonight...it was plenty warm Sunday afternoon, we left St. Jo and it was cool got home and it was warm, knew we would have bad storms.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8471973

Yes, bad storms last nite alright! I'm glad the hail was small, both our vehicles were uncovered. Yesterday, during the day, it was so warm that some plants sprouted and now they'll just sit there until it warms up again! Furry tailed rats haha! I too know about squirrels getting into stuff. I am trying to cover many of my pots with ½" hardware cloth that I have that I'm not using. Deer can be a problem too, some people refer to them as hooved rats!
He likely isn't on the up and up, billyp. He called again a while ago, he says he fixed all that stuff. The deal might be on again. I'm taking it for a test drive in a bit. If he really has fixed all that stuff, I might have a new car, I really would like one soon. Oh yeah, window screen is what I ended up using, I really wanted to do it right.
It's made of landscape edging and window screen, we'll see how well it works, plus it's got to keep the mosquitos out. I got a photo of my rain-barrel, I put it up on blocks, I hope that was a good decision. Does anyone know, is that high enuff to get water to come out of a garden hose thats hooked up to it?
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8472128

Those are gravity fed and trust me I just had 70 gals dump into the garden room and it wasn't up off the ground, but I think my spigot was higher up course that means you can't get to the water below the spigot, course if you are close and you have the hose in the air to water hanging pots you are in trouble...rofl...Sunday evening wasn't so good because of the dumping water and the storms, oh well all does pass in time...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8472263

JustGrowin, it was me who mentioned peonies on here. A friend is landscaping for a friend and he wants a bunch of peonies for his yard.

That storm was something last night!! I also knew it was gonna be bad because of the heat and humidity. In the spring that means storms!! LOL!!

Greenhouse was going up at work today when I left. Plants and seeds come in on Weds. Whoo hoo!!! I have a coworker wanting to help me out there at least one day a week. I told her to go beg. LOL. Chances of boss man approving are slim to none but gotta try! lol

This rain we got is nice but at the same time it could have waited. My garden was just getting dry enough to start working it!! Grrrrrr

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
4:20 AM

Post #8472954

Justgrowin, those are the colors I have, LOL!

Happ, the raised bed sounds wonderful!!

You are so right. For me it's cat or squirrel. We all have our pests, but I'm so glad to not have deer!

Will, North of me, Sunday, they had the huge hail. I was glad we didn't! It was HUGE!

It would sure be nice to get a new car! See what your mechanic says. Crossing my fingers for you!

The screen looks fine, literally. I would think the mosquitos couldn't get in or out. I do think it's up enough to drain. Now hopefully the rains will keep it full. It's amazing how much rain pours off a roof.

Pepper, help would be nice and the company too. I hope the boss agrees.

Will knows I've been complaining on Facebook about our internet speed, so I'll paste the newest development.

We took their 3MB package in November, and at first, were pretty zippy. It slowly started going bad and DH made many calls in February. Now, yesterday, it was under 1MB. He called and actually found a person who had some answers and gave us a number for a tier 2 person. So, at 9:30pm we called them.

They had us we unhook all but one phone and unplug the modem for a few minutes. We plugged the modem back in and they were ''tweaking'' as we were doing speed tests. Lo and behold, they got us back up to over 1.5MB.

They also told us Nichols needed 175 people to sign up before they can offer 3MB here. Yes, the package we bought basically paid for unlimited minutes, caller ID and call waiting. I don't ned the last two.

Before calling, DH went over to a neighbor who has been complaining about speed. He had called a while back and his speed was higher than ours. Now we match his. We think they have been slowly backing off on the power provided and if you don't watch videos or play games, you might not notice. But we have made enough calls and kept complaining.

Did, the squeaky wheel gets the grease? I think so.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 5, 2011
5:37 AM

Post #8473073

billy, unplugging and replugging the modem is "normal" protical for all the internet providers. We have probably 14 data lines in this company and before we ever call we just reset everything. Course if we still have trouble they make us do it again and then bump us to the next level of support (so it is no different if you have 1 line or 14...). Typical they "never" find a problem but it will speed up or heal thy self after talking to them. Course we are always threatened with if we send someone out and there isn't a problem you will get charged...course if you have a whole division down, that is the least of my worries, but like you after talking to them, it will heal thy self...rofl.

Cold last night, the wind was strong out of the north which was good, no frost at least when I left the house. I picked some daffs to bring in for me to enjoy. Too cold to stay out and lay blocks last night...dang, but suppose to be nicer today so I hopefully should get somethng done.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2011
4:54 PM

Post #8474537

Not too bad today. Just still too windy. LOL. Tomorrow my plants come in and the greenhouse isn't finished. The frame is up but the plastic isn't on and they didn't set the timbers and blocks around. No big deal though. I want to be there when setting the timbers out to make sure we have plenty of walking room.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8474577

Well, basement is now flooded. Cleaning it up. About 2 loads of laundry. Grrr...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2011
6:40 PM

Post #8474844

The squeaky wheel does indeed get the grease! Sally, that really stinks about not getting the Internet that you're paying for. I can relate, I think they do it on purpose when people sign up before the14 day money back time (for ex. mine), its all blazes, then after that expires, here comes the big slow down!

Thanks, so far that screen top is doing the job, it even stayed on thru all the strong winds! I really got lucky that it fits so well! It really is amazing how much rain comes off a roof. The roof for my rainbarrel is just a shed, I put about an 8 ft. length of gutter on one side and thats all it takes fortunately! Thanks, I hope it's up high enuff to have some of that gravity, it would be sweet to be able to use a hose from it.

I planted up my "White Hot" Habanero seeds! Maybe Hot (I hope), we'll just see! I went to Lowes tonite to get some more leaf bags, and well, I couldn't resist a couple $3 plants and 2 cheap seed packets of green Bell Peppers. Bell Peppers at the store are like $1.25 apiece now! I also had to have a little purple Sweet Potato vine and a little Asparagas Fern. I plan to make a warm weather planter with Coleus and maybe some ornamental Fountain Grass and this Sweet Potato vine. I always wanted an Asparagas Fern in a hanging planter.
In the photo is my onions, Strawberry plants in the middle and my Habanero seeds are over to the left. I plan on putting those Green Pepper seeds in there somewhere. That 4x4' raised bed is turning into a sort of "hodge-podged try to grow everything" garden! It's kinda like a "catch-all drawer"! Did I mention there is pumpkin plants in there somewhere from last year! lol

That new car might be on hold. I am 6 minutes from being over on my cell phone. That was the only way that car dealer had to get ahold of me. I've turned my phone off, the billing cycle starts back up in 5 days, thats when I can use it without the dollar a minute penalty for being over..lol I haven't decided what I want to do, if I want to let him stew in his greedy dealer juices, and not get back with him, or call him back after 9p when it's unlimited and go ahead with the deal. He knows I have the money, I showed him to let him know I will pay, and as a measure of good faith.
I like the car, I'm just so unhappy about him being a dealer. For one thing, I have to pay the whopper sales tax and he can't have any flexibility on an advantageous "date of sale". I have 30 days to pay the sales tax, get it titled, licensed and insured or pay a $25 a month penalty. Him deceiving me by disguising as an "owner" has really not been a good thing!

Ewwww! A flooded basement does sound like no fun! I think you're doing a good thing Pepper by getting on it early before stuff stains and all dries up nasty!

Daffs or Hyacinths are really fragrant, I walked near them and I got some fragrant flower smells, not sure which one it was, but it was nice. There aren't really even that many of them, but something sure smelled nice! I'd cut them and bring them in too!

This message was edited Apr 6, 2011 6:23 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8474882

It's drying out now. Rugs are outside hanging on the railing dripping. lol. Not the first time it has happened and it won't be the last. We've had pipes burst, the barrel overflow, not had the hose in the barrel (we run our wash water thru a barrel instead of the septic tank when above freezing) and a few other incidents. This time it was the hose's fault. Came off the barrel and we didn't know it til the basement was flooded.

I have a couple hyancinths blooming, daffs and some tulips. My deutzias have blooms on them.

Hey Will, if you want a bright bush for shade the deutzias are perfect. The one I have has lime green foilage and fragrant white blooms. Smallish in size so good for against house or in front of a bigger bush. Should get about 3x3. Mine survived winter real good and looks like it's a bit bigger too. Bluestone has it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8474974

That is a nice shrub, I looked it up at Bluestone perennials. I'd love to have that shrub. I wonder though, how much the shipping would be? I'm all about cheap, I'm kinda like George Costanza on Seinfeld! lol Maybe your's will propagate by a cutting!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2011
5:49 AM

Post #8475528

Happ, how true that is! It took a lot of calls to get to a ''tier two'' tho. Today the speed is holding, but by evening it will have lost a lot. Typical. All companies are out to get rich. Why else would the satellite provider keep showing ''don't tell mom the babysitter is dead,'' or ''karate kid'' every other day.

It looks like the cold strong winds were all over. We didn't have them. It was breezy, but very tolerable.

Pepper, you are smart to set up walking room. The workers wouldn't care.

Will, I love the prices that catch your eye and you're on the way home with something new!

One year I had green peppers with a bit of heat. I think they crossed with the Jalapenos. It only happened one year.

Will, since I don't trust people, I don't know which way you should turn, LOL!

I like your boxed in bed! The onions look great!

Pepper, I'm glad you got the water out. Dinner must have tasted good after you worked up an appetite, LOL!

Will, the shipping is why I don't ship many plants out to people and am learning to grow my own.

Taking cuttings from shrubs are tricky. There are softwood cuttings and hardwood cuttings. Even with rooting hormone it took forever for me to get my neighbor's eunonymus shrub to root. I finally did tho!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
5:17 PM

Post #8476837

I got my new Bell Pepper seeds planted up! Now, I just need to hurry and get some Tomato seeds planted! Thats the green Bell Peppers on the right in the photo. Its funny, a couple Forsythias came up over on the front left of the photo from the roots I guess. Last year I stuck a Forsythia branch in that bed. I have already dug up 2 Forsythia plants and potted them up. All indications are they are tenacious buggers! Anybody want a Forsythia plant? The parent plant is in a nice yellow bloom right now, it's a pretty plant to signal Spring has sprung!

Thanks Sally, that bed is made of an old waterbed! Those onions get about 3 feet tall!

I must admit I sometimes buy plants on an impulse! I need a couple little Coleus plants now! I tried to overwinter my 3 Coleus plants in an unheated garage, that was a mistake! I think it got too cold for them down there. Needless to say, it doesn't look promising for them to come back. Anybody have some Coleus cuttings they can spare? I'm glad it's small plant impulses for now.
If I come home with a thousand dollar Lily or Hosta, slap me!

I still haven't got back with the dealer man. He should be sweating real good! I might call him tonite after 9pm when its unlimited. I think I'll tell him I'll buy it if I can do a private party purchase.
I was just thinking, I need plants in a chartreuse color!
Will

This message was edited Apr 6, 2011 6:22 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8476866

Will, here's the page at Bluestone where they mention how much shipping costs usually.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/shipest.html
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8476963

Thanks, not terrible on shipping, Ive seen worse! Pepper, do you have Deutzia 'Chardonnay Pearls' or Deutzia 'Nikko'? Lime is chartreuse isn't it? Chardonnay Pearls is a nice color.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8477052

Chardonnay Pearls. It holds that color real well. I thought one of mine had died last year but I decided to give it a chance and see for sure this spring and sure enough it was alive. I was suprised and very happy!!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8477117

Thanks, I shoulda figgered that out, only one of them has lime green foliage. : ) It says zones 5-8, so should be okay.
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/DECPP.html I might get that if I can swing another order! I have a Purple Prince Lily tree coming yet from Brecks. I'm waiting for another MichiganBulb catalog, so I can order some stuff that I want for the tropical area that I'm working on. I must have they're Banana 'Basjoo' to anchor it, and I want some of they're Black Elephant Ears.
I have Black Hollyhocks but I'm not sure if they'll come up this year, because of the confusion on Seedrack's cold stratification dilemma. If I must wait another year on them, then they'll still be there!
Is your's big enuff to flower yet?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8477218

My hollyhocks or deutzia? Hollyhocks, no, deutzia, yes. It's only a foot around if that on both of them but they have buds and will bloom here within a couple weeks if not sooner.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
7:38 PM

Post #8477240

Oops sorry, the Deutzia. I'm seeing the Deutzia as a side shrub for the waterpond's edge maybe.
Thanks Pepper

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
3:12 AM

Post #8477587

Will, I have never direct sowed tomatoes or peppers. I'll be interested to see how your's do. They sure look delicious in the packet picture, LOL!

Cool on the water bed frame!

Keeping the coleous in the house and taking cuttings would have worked, but they get leggy all winter.

Laughing, I think you'll have plenty of restraint on that thousand dollar plant!

There you go! Take control of the car situation.

I ordered Meadow Rue/Thalictrum from Brecks and it came the other day. You should see your Lily soon. I also just got a Michigan Bulb book :o)

I had the Nigra Hollyhocks and they grew another year for me. I lost one to the foaming rot, but the others lived a few years before I lost them. I wasn't very good at growing flowers back then. Or did you mean you threw down seed this year or last Fall?

Yesterday we had a bit of an annoying breeze and took a jeep ride. I should have been digging dandelions. At least I got the borer granules down on the iris. That's the most important thing.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 7, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8478533

billy what do you use on the iris for bores?
Comanche acres guy sent out an email with his suggestions.
Tip # 1 for this newsletter: Now is the time to remove all dead leaves, refuse, or anything that has accumulated on your irises this winter if you live in the Midwest. If you are still having temps in the 20’s or lower, wait a little longer. If you remove the litter and a snow comes along, as long as the temps don’t go to the teens, your irises will be fine. If you have some dead ends on the leaves, it is fine to cut them off, just don’t cut any new green leaves.

Tip#2: Now is also the time to fertilize your irises. We recommend and sell a blend of 6-24-24 fertilizer for your irises. We try to apply our fertilizer around 45 to 60 days before bloom. Please note the first number of the blend is small. This is the nitrogen in the blend. Bearded irises do not want or need large amounts of nitrogen. A couple of other good blends might be 5-10-10 or 6-12-12. If you are doing individual plants, a tablespoon or so around the plant is fine. If you are fertilizing clumps, just sow it lightly over the top like sowing grass seed. Do not apply fertilizer blends like 50-10-10 or any blend that has a large first number in the blend.

Tip#3: If you have had borer problems in the past and you did not treat your irises, you probably still have them. When the temps reach 60 degrees in the spring, borer eggs begin to hatch. Many people spray one time and quit. Borers hatch in several waves. It is best to spray once a week for 3 weeks. The new product that replaced Cygon is Ferti-Lome Systemic Insect Spray. We recommend that you mix it either in a sprinkler can or your sprayer at a rate of 4 tablespoons to the gallon. If you think you have borers, give me a call and I will try to walk you through a diagnosis if it is needed.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 7, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8479775

Hi billyp, oh those Hollyhock seeds I just got from seedrack.com but I learned after I got them that they need stratification first. I didn't know that until after I put them in a pot! If I'd read the papers first I suppose I coulda put the seeds in the fridge for 2 or 3 months! I'm still waiting on that Lily Tree's grand arrival! That Progressive Snapshot thing came in the mail instead today. I don't even want that thing. Having they're thing isn't gonna prevent me from canceling my insurance and getting something else! I told the lady when I asked "how come my insurance went up from the last 6 mos.?"
I told the lady I watch every dollar and theres no reason for my insurance to go up $16! I told the lady, "you can tell me, was that a teaser rate to get me to sign up?". Then I proceeded to tell her how seldom I drive and she said I should have this Snapshot on. Oh well, what to do?!

Tonite, I went to Lowes and saved a whopping $25 on a pond-liner! They had it incorrectly priced so they gave me the price that was on it! They had the 13 x 20 liner, (which was too big for the pond here), marked $60 off. I told the cashier girl, "thank god for sleeping workers". She got a laugh out of that. I'm thrilled to get a pond-liner, it wasn't in the budget before this.
I can go ahead with my waterlilies and stuff. It was just an honest mistake at Lowes I'm sure, they insisted on giving me the big price drop, I wasn't complaining! They prolly have it fixed now, but if anybody wants to try it, the store is at 40 hwy and I-70 in Kansas City, MO. While I was there I got a cheap seed packet of Better Boy Tomatoes.

Thanks Sally, I hope those Peppers look as good in real as they do in the photo!

I talked that dealer man down another hundred dollars, he really talks that car up. We'll see if it's really all that and fixed like he says! I could very well purchase it this weekend unless something goes wrong, like something he said is fixed and it really isn't.

Come back warm weather!

Happ, when are you coming?! I don't bite! lol Can I tempt you with an Ozark Witch-Hazel? If I don't produce a dark red Rose vine, my name will be mud!
Hurry, before gas gets any higher! : )

Will

This message was edited Apr 8, 2011 10:44 AM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2011
4:39 AM

Post #8480000

Things have been busy for me and seeing Indep isn't on my way home and with gas prices, I need to include lots of things in that one trip...but will be there sometime this month I know. Will I have a question you are buying all this stuff and putting in her yard, what happens when you decide to leave.

Hope the weekend is nice I have lots to do in the garden. We have taken out 5 dead pine trees, so I have lots to clean up, my raised concrete block beds done, mulch, weed, plant, you guys know all that good stuff. Sides take care of the stuff indoors. uggg.
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2011
8:29 AM

Post #8480387

Hi, all!

Checkin' in again after a loooong absence. I've had a lot going on. It's nice to see some friendly "faces" still around. :)

I was surprised a few days ago when I saw that my Bleeding Hearts were blooming. What a pleasant surprise it was!

Thumbnail by ImaMes

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2011
9:05 AM

Post #8480459

I understand, come when you can, no hurry, the stuff isn't going anywhere. If I get this car tomorrow, maybe I can meet you somewhere?
Thats a fair question. I'm not leaving here for a LONG time!
Are you replacing the Pine Trees happ? I still have that 7½ year old Eastern White Pine tree.
It was the complimentary free seedling from ArborDay when I visited they're place up there in Nebraska City, NEB. in Jan. 04' I'll give it to you so you can replant those Pines if you want it. EWP doesn't get Pine Wilt like other pines like Scots Pine does, if thats what your's had, Pine Wilt is pretty common I think. EWP is native to the US also.
I've got California Fan Palm seeds, Black Hollyhock seeds, an Ozark Witch-Hazel and an Eastern White Pine tree for you!

Hi Ima! Thats a beautiful Bleeding Heart! I've never had one. They sure bloom early and nice I see.

Will

ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8480540

Hi, Will! Thanks! I didn't expect it to bloom quite this early, but hooray!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8480545

Of course, there's a dandelion right next to it!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8481452

My bleeding heart is just now reaching 6 inches tall. LOL. But my hellebore is blooming. It's a deep purple. I have plenty of purple in this dang yard but it's a pretty purple so I'll keep it. LOL.

Will, too bad you don't have Spicebush. The 2 I bought are dead for some reason. I need to check out MDOC's website and see if they have it.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2011
8:22 PM

Post #8481843

Yuck, Dandelions! I didn't see it, but a dandelion is easily remedied!

There is Spicebush still at Missouri Conservation Dep't - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all
Scroll about ¾ the way down to see them. I'd go in on a bundle of 25 of them, they are $8 per bundle of 25. If I remember right, the UPS shipping is only $5 for everything you get.
Even though they get pretty big, 12 x 12 or so, I'd still find a spot for some, they sound nice! From them the deadline to order is the end of April.
I ordered 2 bundles of stuff from them last year, a bundle of Ozark Witch-Hazel and a bundle of Blackberry bushes. I order stuff from them most years but I didn't this year. I have a tendency to go overboard when I buy plants online!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
5:14 PM

Post #8483626

Thanks Will!! Will check into it and see if my dad can find room for several. If I had it my way the bush honeysuckle in the front yard would get torn out and replaced with these or witch hazel. But he likes them too much. lol.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8483894

You're welcome. Sounds like a plan! I know what you mean, I'd get rid of even more bush Honeysuckle if I could, but somebody here says, "it's just so pretty, I want to keep it!".
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8485992

LOL! My dad and my grandma love honeysuckle. I prefer the native vine since the bush is a pest. lol. If it wasn't a pest I'd love it.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8486919

Happ, this is a nice article on what I use for borers. I am in the process of removing the leaves and refuse now, even tho I already sprinkled the systemic. I just had to fluff and shake off the granules, LOL! I was sick when I should have been out doing these things. I imagine they have hatched and are growing. They also can get too big for the systemic to work on them too, GRRR! When I dig and divide, I soak the rhizomes in Clorox and water. It still takes a while for the borers that made it, to surface. I'm not squeamish, but they are ugly!!

Hmm, I've never fertilized them. I think I'll do that today! I learned some valuable information. I would love to decimate all the borers!!

http://www.irisgarden.org/pesticides.html

Will, I usually try to plant familiar seeds like they plant themselves. I've never put anything in the fridge or knicked the seed coat, but I do soak the sweet peas in pretty hot water for a few hours :o)

Yep, you're right, in the fridge :o)

That's my Dad's complaint about insurance. He's had no tickets or acccidents, ever. They all go up tho. Ours did too.

How cool is that! Now you can go ahead with the pond! You were lucky they gave you the price! I'm trying Better Boy tomatoes too.

It's funny he still has the car. I figured he would have it sold by now. Be very wary! Drive it well and do take it to a mechanic. Especially to have the major car ''organs' checked out. I'd hate to see you get a money pit.

Happ, were the trees old or just in the wrong place? Sometimes I wish we could take one of the walnuts out, but it's full size and exellent shade. Trouble is, I need some sun. You have been busy outside! Me too :o)

Hi Ima!! I'm glad you are back! We are slowly filling in with old friends :o)
I've been thinking about you off and on this year! I was checking my Oak Leaf Hydrangea and I THINK it's alive! Time will tell :o)

Wow on the hearts! They are my absolute favorite Spring flower. They really bloom a long time too! I love your trellis and little bird ornament!

Will, meeting half way is a nice idea and would give you a chance to try the car on distance and gas!

Smiling over not leaving :o)

Ima, ROTFL over the dandelion!! I've been digging them and found quite a few ready to pop! Of course, when they do, it's easier to find them and dig them out.

Pepper, I've seen a lot of Hellebore pictures and some day... I'll find a good place for a few.

Wow on losing the Spicebush. What a shame.

Now Pepper, by letting your Dad have one thing, you get to have a hundred! (Wicked laugh :o)

I weeded most of the day, but we didn't get a drop of rain! Last night huge thunder clouds just South of us, passed just to the East of us, flashing all the way, but I couldn't hear the thunder. We could have used more rain, tho the temps have been nice! We had the window open all night Sunday and till 10:30 last night.

We were also under a tornado watch till 1:00 am. I looked at the weather and went to bed, with the window open. We weren't even going to get rain, but I'm thankful for no tornado.

Gosh, it's 7:30 am already. Where does the morning go?
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8487537

shortleaf wrote:I understand, come when you can, no hurry, the stuff isn't going anywhere. If I get this car tomorrow, maybe I can meet you somewhere?
Are you replacing the Pine Trees happ? I still have that 7½ year old Eastern White Pine tree.
It was the complimentary free seedling from ArborDay when I visited they're place up there in Nebraska City, NEB. in Jan. 04' I'll give it to you so you can replant those Pines if you want it. EWP doesn't get Pine Wilt like other pines like Scots Pine does, if thats what your's had, Pine Wilt is pretty common I think. EWP is native to the US also.
I've got California Fan Palm seeds, Black Hollyhock seeds, an Ozark Witch-Hazel and an Eastern White Pine tree for you!

Will I would glady take anything you don't want. Love to have some witch-hazel.

Gonna take off Tues and Wed so maybe Thursday or Friday we can meet when I get off work. Check back with you later in the week.

Got lots to weed, plant, mulch, and clean...rofl. Suppose to be pretty cold on Friday night from what I saw.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
8:07 PM

Post #8489015

Hi all,
sounds great happ, come when you can. I have an economical car now, if I can meet you somewhere just let me know.

I took Progressive's little "Snapshot" thing back and I showed the insurance agent what Progressive had sent me in the mail outlining my renewal rate. She says, "wow, it DOESN'T have the paid in full amount on it, which is how I pay. It was an even $50 higher than my last 6 mos. of coverage pmt. So I have plans now to pay $30 a month for Geico. I did get that car Sat., I've hand-washed and cleaned it up more. Here is a photo of my $1,900 car yesterday! It needs some TLC gradually but it is in exceptionally nice condition for an inexpensive car. It doesn't have any rust yet. Now that I have it, it'll prolly rust out and quit running! lol Just kidding, I hope it doesn't go that way for a while! I was pleasantly surprised that I saw after I bot it that it's not the base model, like I thought it was! For one thing, now it has a slightly larger engine than I thought.
I got pretty lucky on it's condition. I didn't have it inspected, like I should have. The car was just so far away and little cars for sell just don't last long. I was lucky that he held on to it for that long.
So far so good on some stuff. I got lucky that it doesn't leak fluids that I know of. He was confident in it enuff to drive it all the time. He said he'd been driving it because of the fuel economy.
It's not the ideal used car find, you know where an elderly lady has driven it only to church on Sundays and to the grocery store, and of course she's the original owner! It had a salvage yard engine put in it a few years ago and it has even had the instrument cluster replaced, but all that was done good enuff I guess! If I can keep the body in decent enuff shape I don't expect to have any trouble selling it and getting my money back someday.

Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8489016

Now, I'm not sure that the Black Hollyhock seeds need cold stratification, they appear to be sprouting! This soil is Miracle Gro© garden soil, so I'm not thinking those are just weeds. Does anyone know what those little seedlings should look like? Here is a photo today of a pot they are in. If those Hollyhocks sprouted this year that would be sweet!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8489378

Will, very nice car!! If you don't have any fluids leaking, that's a good thing. Mabe he wasn't a shyster :o) You won't have to keep looking for a used car either, so that's a good thing too! And you're getting the insurance straightened out!

Very hard to tell yet if they're hollyhocks. They should have the little leaf soon if they are. I hope they did.

I'm slowly getting all the beds weeded. I finished another small bed yesterday and am still working on the one big bed.

I have two grasses in there and am debating on taking both out. One is Tall Bluestem and I dug it from the RR tracks before they tore out all the trees and turned it into more field. It's spreading into the plants near it.

The other is Purple Top that I got from DD's. I never noticed it turning purple last year. I think I'll plant it across the road so I can get it back if I want.

We both have a dental cleaning early today and then off to town to buy fencing and posts for the new pea fence. Yayyy!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 12, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8489973

Car looks really nice Will. Congrats. With gas going up economy is what every one needs...

Well my vacation was canceled by 2pm yesterday, that didn't last long! Dang and we are to have perfect weather these two days...gosh darn it! Oh well. I got a lot done last night, mowed around flower beds, cleaned up some stuff, and got some siberian iris planted, pulled a few weeds.

Since my vacation was canceled Will I may need to put you on hold again...sorry.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
11:05 AM

Post #8490395

Thanks you guys, hope it runs a while. Thats fine happ, the stuff isn't going anywhere. I'm thinking those are Hollyhocks, another pot of Holllyhock seeds has 1 plant with similar leaves on it. Yeah, I'm glad to have the looking part behind me. The price of gas isn't coming down!
Good idea, billyp, if the grass is over across the street, it isn't going far!
I can't believe it might be getting below freezing this weekend.
Anybody ever seen Euonymus in a metal bucket?!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
5:32 PM

Post #8491207

Car looks great Will!! Even the tires looks good from what I can see.

If your hollyhocks are coming up from seed then I will get mine going here soon. I need to put mulch around what I have already cause a couple are surronded by grass and if I don't mulch my dad will mow them down. lol. 2 of the 3 I had last year came back so I will put a black one in there where the old one was.

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8491538

Thanks Pepper! Those tires are holding air, they are pretty well worn, at least they match! I washed the sidewall part of them and washed all the brake-dust off them, one of the wheels was just covered in it. Maybe it's me, prolly is, but something don't feel right about that car! I don't think it's buyer's remorse because it didn't really cost that much. I just have this feeling that something major is on the edge wrong with it. I hope it's just me! I'd like to take it maybe on a road trip to Florida to visit a friend and I'm not liking the image of me broke down in it on the free-way somewhere! Maybe I can ask the guy I bought it from and he'll be honest about it, if he knows anything wrong with it. I think he likes me okay, although I doubt that he found humor in me asking if he hauled animals in this other smelly car he was selling, or telling him after I bought this one, that I see he beat me out of floormats.

I'll know more if those really are Hollyhocks in a few days when they grow a bit more, right now they are still kinda puny! You have regular Hollyhocks Pepper? Will you save me some seeds from them this Fall if you can? Even if they are a named variety, they will revert back to the traditional Hollyhocks by seed maybe, which is fine with me, they are still pretty. Oh, the m word! I do alot of mowing and it never gets enjoyable!

Ewww.. you had you're vacation canceled happ? That stinks, I always did look forward to time off when I had a full-time job.

Dental cleaning and then fence buying billyp, thats a day's work right there!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8492567

You have no idea how these two days have been here at work, thinking I was gonna be out there in what felt like a lunch Missouri's two perfect days! ughhhh! Gave my vacation request in Monday morning it was signed and good to go, then by the time I came back from lunch there were problems...but that is the way it goes I guess.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8493825

2 of my hoolyhocks are named from Bluestone. The others are the bagged 1s from WM.

These are the ones I got from Bluestone: http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/HOCCS.html
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8494099

Well, the 3 Purple Prince© Lily Tree bulbs finally came today! Yippee! I got them all potted up this afternoon. The little box from Brecks said "Hurry and plant me, I came all the way from Holland and I need to breathe!". Here the 3 are all potted up, (in the photo). Nevermind all the little specks, the bulbs came in wood shavings so I dumped all that in the pots too!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011
7:05 AM

Post #8497349

Happy Birthday Pepper!

Oh Happ, vacation cancelled? That's not fair!

Will, good, just a few hollyhhocks will take up room. That's a nice looking eunonymus!

There's still time for a mechanic to look it over. Better safe than sorry before a trip, and the trip sounds like a good thing to take!

The tooth cleaning went well and the pea fence is up and they're planted :o)

Pepper, those are beautiful hollyhocks!

Will, laughing, my Breck's box said that too!

It's cloudy, cold and windy, but perfect for treating everyone to a buffet birthday dinner at Pizza Ranch. They make the best chicken and use real potatoes in their dinners. I'm not sure what all is offered in the buffet, but the pizza is good too :o)

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
5:41 PM

Post #8498674

Happy Birthday number 3 Bp!! LOL!! Gotta get you on all of the threads. lol

Cold and wet here. All plants at work in the greenhouse so they are protected from the threat of frost tonight. Creeks are running high too. Hope we don't get any more significant rain tonight. That will really cause flooding!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8499209

Pepper, hopefully I matched you on the three wishes :o) I've only had half a mind lately with the other half constantly going over the things I need to do outside :o) Seems I haven't been very good with the DG Birthday List I made for myself, LOL! I keep missing birthdays.

I can imagine how nice it is to work in a greenhouse, as long as you have room to mess with the plants :o)

We had a wonderful buffet chicken dinner yesterday and the older lady cleaning our table was a peach! DH mentioned it was my Birthday Dinner and she brought me a coupon signed by the owners, good for a free medium pizza. YUM!

It's still raining this morning and that's fine with me!
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8500844

Hi all! Happy Birthday to anyone with a birthday! I wished Sally happy birthday on Facebook. I'm not sure who all had birthdays, but happy birthday! Mine is no big thing, but I take money and diamonds on August 17th! lol

I took the plunge and got a seed packet of Hollyhocks at Lowes yesterday, thats them in the photo, they look pretty enuff in the picture. I'm surprised a cheapo seed packet would have 500mg of seeds, it's usually less on the cheap seed packets, maybe they're big seeds. Just call me The Seed Man!

I put up my $5.99 Harbor Freight flimsy metal arbor today. I'm trying to think of a way to not have to fix it every time the wind blows! I'm still undecided on what I want growing up it.

Thanks billyp, that Euonymus has grown up to be a nice specimen. It's too nice of a plant to not be in the ground, I'll try to find a place for it in the ground this year.

I agree, if I get the extra money I might have the car looked at closer by a mechanic, so far so good. I figgered the mileage on it for the first time since I bought it and it is 30.1 miles per gallon, so I'm good there! That sure beats my truck, it only gets 12 mpg and it has an oil leak too! I've never been to Florida, that would be like a dream come true! But, theres no place like Missouri!

Speaking of Brecks, they sent another $25 coupon with no minimum, so I ordered another 3 Lily Tree bulbs for $2.94 after shipping, it's called Satisfaction. They said on the phone that I could use another coupon even tho I've already used one. I kinda doubt those packages really come from Holland, it just don't seem like enuff money for shipping, I don't know how they stay in business! I've been wrong before tho!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8500894

With that many hollyhocks you will be begging people to come take some off your hands in a year or 2. lol

Had a great birthday yesterday. Worked and got out before anyone could catch me. LOL. I was shopping today there and several people promised payback for leaving so early. LOL. Went out to dinner tonight with a few friends and had alot of fun. One of them paid for the whole thing, catching us off guard. Went to Rib Crib because we had a few coupons to use up and ended up not using them because he paid for it all. We grumbled a bit because of that but we'll go back next month. lol. We did appreciate it.

Got a new camera for my birthday yesterday too. Finally got the battery charged a bit ago and am checking it out. It's a Canon Powershot A3300IS. 16 mp and 5x zoom. Zoom's smaller than I want and need but it'll have to do for now anyways.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8500946

I hope it turns out that way! I'd love to get Hollyhocks started here, it's a nice flowering plant.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8501195

Will, if a plant reseeds like crazy, they usually charge more, and vice versa :o) I think Hollyhocks are in the middle, so that sounds like a lot of seeds!

I had an image of a mammoth sunflower grown on each side of the arbor and tying the arbor to them. Nothing blows down a sunflower, LOL! Annual sweet peas don't get too heavy.

I like the eunonymus because it's the only thing besides a pine tree that keeps it's leaves. I set three in the North Peopny bed to hopefully block wind and give privacy to us and our nice neighbor. She may not be there forever. I have one in the back yard and one in the middle yard. I started all from stems and it wasn't easy. One rooted out of a pot of 15 various stems. I tried every year for a few years so all of them are various ages, LOL! But, now I have my own to root from. These were from a neighbor's shrub.

Now I have trimmings from my dwarf blue spruce ''Fat Albert'' in the garden trying to root them. I put them in last Fall. They are even harder to root. Those I tried to overwinter in the house didn't.

Wow on the gas mileage! I thought if you were buying a car, a mechanic would look it over for free. Maybe I'm dreaming :o) It sounds like the guy did not sell a lemon over E-Bay, so good for you!!

They come from Holland. Bulbs multiply, so they get their money's worth, and import shipping might be next to nothing. DH has realatives in Holland and his Mom and Sister went over to visit. Only a Daughter could speak english. They had been writing letters back and forth before that. They were so glad to see everyone, and later, the relatives came here.

Summer Carnival are pretty. What if every seed grows? LOL!

Pepper, that sounds like a great Birthday and a delicious supper!

Fantastic on the new camera! I forgot you needed the pocket size. Mine is bigger and heavier than my point and shoot, but I do like how it feels.

You'll like the larger screen, megapixels and the wider angle.

Yesterday the rain turned to rain and snow, then a bit of snow, and back to a cold rain. It stuck for a short while, but melted. I needed to go out and wore a stocking cap. Not nice and I hate winter for sure!

DH mowed the high spots in the yard, but by Monday, I may be able to mow the whole thing. Yayyy!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8502006

Well, last night and this morning I bought some more plants. LOL. My grandma wanted seeds from Henry Fields so I also bought a tree peony and a minature rose on there. Then today at Walmart I bought another rose, Blue Girl. I took one sniff and went nuts!! LOL!! I like some of the others more for size and color but she had the best fragrance of the ones already in bloom.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
6:00 PM

Post #8504889

Oh, I made 4 pots, (not little 1 gallon pots, but 2 gallon pots) out of that 500mg seed packet of 'Summer Carnival' Hollyhocks! There is around 12 seeds in each pot!
I hope every seed does grow!
Speaking of Hollyhocks, my Black Hollyhock seeds are sprouting and they look more like Hollyhocks all the time!

How about these Creeping Phloxes? This is only 2 small plants, the flowers have spread way out. All that clutter is gonna get cleaned up prolly in the next few days.
I'm gonna put weed fabric, mulch and landscape edging around it and that October-special-from-Lowes-'Red Haven'-Peach-tree (that over-wintered beautifully).

I've had trouble trying to grow Sweet Peas from seeds, but I'd love to have them. I like that idea of the Sunflowers, thats neat, I love Sunflowers.

Good luck with you're 'Fat Alberts' billyp, they are a nice Blue (reliably) Spruce, and they are expensive to buy..lol!

Yeah, 30.1?! My luck isn't that good! I musta figgered wrong! Oh well, somebody said gas could be $4 a gallon by mid May!

Thanks billyp, I hope I'm lemon free this time!

Yeow billyp, DH is Dutch eh? I had a coworker years ago who was Dutch and she even had red hair!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
6:01 PM

Post #8504890

Do these Black Hollyhocks look like Hollyhocks to anybody else? I'm hoping it isn't just me and wishful thinking that they are the real Hollyhock.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011

Post #8504892

Here are my 4 pots of 'Summer Carnival' seeds all potted up today. Don't pay any mind to the date on that one label! : )

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011

Post #8504893

Here is a bigger view of the backyard here. I filled up that old RadioFlyer© with dirt and I'm gonna fill it up with flowers! See my flimsy metal trellis from HarborFreight?
It's over the waterpond that I am planning, it's very much still in the planning stages! But, that mess will prolly be cleaned up within ten days or so, even that car we are moving.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8505911

Ah Pepper, I love ''impulse'' buying with plants! I'll be interested in following the tree peony thru pictures, if you remember you have a new camera, LOL! and I adore mini roses. I meant to plant a bunch oh, years ago, and never made a place for them. I absolutely buy for scent :o)

Will, hollyhocks have a powerful hold on us. Who doesn't remember having them as a kid, or those still growing around the old outhouse at Grandma's house? I hope you have plenty of room to plant all that grow. They should re-seed well.

I soak the sweetpeas in very hot water for a few hours. You really have to soften the seed coat.

I hope every Fat Albert grows! We paid $70.00 for a tree that was 4' tall. I bought a book on propagating hard and softwood stems. I am known to nick branches :o) I am not known for my survival rate :o(

Most of the Dutch kids I see are blond. DH's family all had light brown hair.

The peach tree looks great! The phlox are a beautiful bit of color! I always manage to take a picture, then realize I have a mess in the back ground, LOL! It seems to happen more in the house!

We need more leaves, but it could be hollyhocks. It's a nice bunch of plantings. I hope they all grow!

You have a nice yard to work in. Once you move things, there will be more room.

What are you planting in the wagon?

We brought my plant stand in Sunday so I will be sowing peppers, cabbage, brussels sprouts and tomatoes!

Yesterday, I cleaned the catch-all room and closet of my elderly relative and took a few knick-knacks and vases as payment. I always use the excuse that I've drug dirt all over the house and vacuum all her rooms for her. Then she tries to pay me and I tell her no. We do this every time :o)

Over the years she's cut newspaper clippings and really has a treasure trove since a lot of them where when the guys like my Dad were going into the service. I spent all afternoon scanning old obituaries and remembering those who lived here when I was a kid.
Sunday I mowed the high spots in the yard. That felt good! And it looks good!

We're getting thunder with our rain now. The power went out for a minute around 5:00 am so I better hit send before I lose all my words!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8509704

Went to hockey game last night. Mavericks actually won last night so we have another game tomorrow night. Gonna be fun!! lol

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2011
5:24 AM

Post #8510564

Pepper, are you taking your new camera to test it?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8512620

My remaining 2 of my 3 Ozark WitchHazels, (from a bundle of 25) are sure looking good, they are in the photo below, they are the two with leaves already. They must really be stalwarts, every one of them that I have planted came back after Winter! And, these 3 in pots are back, so the Winter didn't faze them!

Thanks billyp, that Peach tree is coming along, with the Creeping Phloxes! That tree, and the Phloxes will look so much better when that debris is gone.
Thanks, and a moving we are doing! Today I did more yard-work back there. I'll post a photo of the area when we're done, it will look much different!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8512621

Well, my fishpond is slowly coming along. It is about 21 inches deep at it's deepest so far. I'd like to make it close to 30 at least, in case I decide to have fish someday.
I don't think I'll be able to avoid getting in it and digging! My shoes are going to be caked in mud! Hmmm... what kind of flowers in the RadioFlyer wagon? I don't know yet, maybe violas or pansies. Anybody have any ideas on flowers for that wagon? I see in the photo the trellis is quite crooked, I'm gonna try to straighten it up some.
Hehe, thats a neat trade for the housework there Sally!
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8512911

We get the boys today after groceries since they don't have school. I now have Checkers, I Spy, and Operation to play with them! I think they are going to have to help Grandma fill pots so Grandma can get her tomatoes and other seeds going! Grandma's busy!

The Witch Hazel looks great! I wish I had room for one. I went over to my neighbor's to look at hers and no, I have no room. Sadly, I was thinking about getting one.

Yep, do the fish pond right the first time. What's digging 9 more inches gonna hurt? LOL!

I think violas and panseys would look great! The annual blue lobelia would be a nice divider and grow a little over the sides. Dianthus would also be nice everblooming color and could reseed. Mine did and I was thrilled! I love them! I think just three of them would be plenty. It looks like a small wagon. Deadhead the panseys and violas or they will get leggy and die out. Have good drainage!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8513963

Wow... I don't know how but I got a link for October 10 in my 'new threads' and this one from October! How odd.

Pepper ... do you have any of the tropicana canna's left that you were trying to find homes for? I would love to have some. WIll send you postage or whatever.

Crit
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8514159

I think I do. I haven't tried digging them out from their spot in the basement yet. I'll look this weekend if I remember and see how much I have left.

Well, the Mavericks won on Tuesday so they played last night. Last night they lost 2 to 1. They played their hearts out only to have them broken last night. They really thought they were gonna win and so did the fans. They had an autograph session tonight and they were upset they wouldn't have another practice. They are all super nice though and were having fun tonight. In fact one of the players put out a little sign poking fun at one the others saying he was born a woman. I laughed my head off on that one. lol. Very sad the season is over but I'm hoping to get season tickets for next season.

As soon as it starts drying out I will get my witchhazel planted in the spot where I want it. It should take off once planted too since the roots won't be so crowded.

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8514164

Oh, took camera to game but don't have the computer set up to try and download them yet. Haven't had time. Maybe this weekend.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
6:59 PM

Post #8514226

That would be great pepper. Thanks!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8514237

You're welcome!!
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2011
7:13 PM

Post #8514255

Boy, yesterday was cold and damp. It felt like November. Today it was 90* and sunny. Suppose to be in the 50-60* range the next few days with chances of showers. I can take the lower temps if we just get some rain!!!! The ground is so dry I haven't even worked up my soil. I did finally go plant some lilies I had that were starting to sprout. It was even dry 6" down. I put some polymer water beads in with them, just to make sure they had plenty of water to grow, then put the soaker hose on them.
DH and I hope to move everything out of the game room to the patio tomorrow, so I can start working on them. See what survived and trim the ones that did. This is the craziest weather. We usually get lots of rain in April. The first of the month we were 4" behind normal rainfall. It's not good. Need prayers!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2011
10:05 AM

Post #8515395

Crit, you have my prayers and hopes, I know this is a rough time.

Will, I think I will be in Independence Monday if that works for you. I will know more on Sunday. Not sure what time right now, but probably early evening. I have an appt at 3:30 so some time after that.

A friend dug up some starts of her hostas, they are noid but I can add them to the shade garden. One of these days it will be nothing but hostas...yeah!

Happy birthday to you all, I know I missed a bunch of them.

DH went out mushroom hunting and found a bunch. He loves those things, I like them, but not nearly as much as him.

Well better get back out and get with it, came in just to get the mushrooms soaking.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8515484

Sounds great, happ. I am here all the time, any day is fine.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8515508

We use to hunt mushrooms when I lived in Kansas. I'm not crazy about them but hubby at that time liked them. Don't remember about the kids so much.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2011
1:54 PM

Post #8515713

DH is so funny about those mushrooms, one time he hit the Mother load, the back of out pickup was lined with mushrooms...he still talks about it. Would of thought he found gold...rofl

Crit all the guys I work with in OKC are wanting me to come down because every time I show up in OK it rains, I was down for a week one August and it rained everyday...rofl. Now that it is so dry they are saying it is because I haven't been down since winter and of course it rained then also. ...LOL
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
5:22 PM

Post #8516140

LOL Happ. You better get down there then!! Don't want wildfires starting up there too.

I haven't had time to go mushroom hunting. I want to but need to have my dad with me and we are both really busy right now.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2011
7:18 PM

Post #8516377

We've been having our share of wildfires/grassfires. We got just a dampening of rain. I agree with the OKC folks. YOU NEED TO GET DOWN HERE!!!!!! You can even stay with me. I'm only 2 hours from OKC and it is turnpike all the way :-)

That is hilarious about the 'shrooms. Did you freeze them? You should of had enough for about 10 years if you did. I think my MIL froze hers in water. I know my GMIL froze her fish in water.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2011
4:35 AM

Post #8516853

Happy Easter all!

Hi Crit! very odd!

Pepper, no wonder you like the games so much. What a bunch of cool guys!

Can't wait for pictures as "Hazel" grows!

Crit, anyone with no rain has my deepest sympathies. 6'' is pretty deep to be dry. I worry when it doesn't rain here. We've been very lucky over the past few years. I haven't had crunchy dormant grass at all in July and August.

Happ, I take any free plant and try to identify later, LOL!

I can take the birthday wish. Thanks!

How LUCKY to have mushrooms!! We flour and cornmeal them and fry in butter. Oh drool!!

ROTFL!!! They are gold!! You should have breaded, fried and froze them. Those stories are legend :o) Tell DH I bow to him in mushroom respect!

So... you're a rain maker :o)

Crit, not water, they'll soak it up and just break apart.

Yesterday, the boys went home, I got my pots filled with potting soil and now it's wet. I decided it was too messy to let the boys help, and they went to help Grandpa anyway :o) Today I can plant my seeds, and I think I had better mow. The entire yard can use it now. I've already done the high spots once and so has DH.

It's been too chilly to be out and it's rained. So I do believe it's April. Today will be nice and quiet for me. The boys other Grandma does the nice Easter dinner and we just try to eat healthy. We don't do so well when the boys are here, having pizza and doughnuts.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2011
11:40 AM

Post #8517564

Crit, not water, they'll soak it up and just break apart.

Billyp ... not sure what this was in reference to. The polymer crystals in with the lily bulbs? What will break apart?
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8518772

Here is that Dwarf Alberta Spruce shortly after I planted it. See that little kid by it, thats my niece, she had only been walking for a few months then, thats the Easter Egg hunter little girl up there with the brown hair now.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
10:17 PM

Post #8518773

Thanks, I'm gonna get some flowers of some kind in that red wagon, if not this year then next! I went to an Easter Egg hunt in my Mom's front yard Saturday and how about a big Morel mushroom right in her front yard?! I took this photo of our Easter Egg hunt. It isn't even wooded or rural, it is in a city outside KCMO. My Mom said it wasn't there that morning when she put the eggs and stuff in the yard, my niece said an egg was next to it, so my Mom might've seen it if it was there earlier. See my nieces with they're baskets? I planted that Dwarf Alberta Spruce 7 years ago this month, it is getting big! Every time I have gone mushroom hunting lately, somebody had always been there first and got most of them. I've seen neighbors come out of there several times, I ask them, "did you find any mushrooms?", they prolly think they're being all sneaky!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
10:19 PM

Post #8518775

Okay, those 2 photos posted in the wrong order, pretend that top one is the second one and the second one the first one!
I'm gonna have to stop clicking posts so close to each other!
Thanks, Will

This message was edited Apr 24, 2011 11:21 PM

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2011
4:46 AM

Post #8518916

Crit, laughing, the mushrooms. I use notepad, so I answer a post as I read them, then they are all in order :o)

I found a couple of old threads in my thread watcher too, yesterday. One, I was the last to post on, so it was nice to find it. I'd been thinking about some of the people who posted with me, and since it was lilies, it wasn't too far off to start up again anyway.

Will, I love to watch Easter Egg hunts :o) Especially when the older kids join in. The tree looks real nice! Is it about as tall as it's going to get?

People around here know the good places to hunt mushrooms too and they are closely guarded secrets. Look for old dying elm trees, or old dying apple trees.

Love the huge morel! It's been said that if you sit and wait, you can see a mushroom grow before your eyes. I'll bet it wasn't there that morning!

It's chilly... again... and I need to get out and walk. I've not had time, or it's rained. We aren't going to warm up much more than 56*. Brrr!
ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2011
11:21 AM

Post #8519355

Happy Birthday to all I missed. :-(

I need to get back to checking in on DG every day. It's been hard to get back into it since I've been busy with other stuff. But I miss you guys!

Crit - I hope you get some rain soon. It sounds bad. Maybe I could send you some of what we're getting. It's been cold, damp, and rainy for several days now. I think after the rain lets up, we're going to have a hot spell.

WIll - I haven't seen an Easter egg hunt for a long time. Thanks for sharing the pics. My grandkids in NE had one with their cousins. It was cute to see them in their Easter dresses with heavy coats on. It has been really cold there.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8520139

Will, I am sorry but I left work really sick today around 11. I am guessing I ate something I shouldn't have eaten, I feel horrible. I have to be at work tomorrow so it had better not be the flu! Not going to stay on long, just wanted to say sorry Will. The rose is in the back of the car in a pot so I think it will be ok, I will try later this week...sorry for being short (no pun intended) on the phone but I just feel awful and needed to go back to bed...
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8520364

Happ, it is okay, really, don't give it another thought. You're health is much more important. We covered everything in the phone conversation, seriously, don't give it another thought, that stuff isn't going anywhere. All we are doing back there is preparing to roll that unlicensed car in the garage, the plants aren't going anywhere.
Haha, I am nearly as tall as the average man I'll have you know! lol The screen name is actually after the only pine tree native to Missouri - Pinus Echinata or Shortleaf Pine. It was nearly logged in Missouri to extinction back in the day. It has quite a story, kinda like me, I can spin a yarn! That tree is kinda a survivor, unlike me I guess, I haven't ever really survived anything, well except destitution years ago, but who doesn't have that in they're life at some point! But, neat tree anyway!

You're welcome Ima, it was pretty cool here too, I looked at the thermometer in my Mom's front yard Sat., it said 58°F! Come to DG when you can Ima, I know what you mean about getting busy at times!

Haha! Billyp, only 2 people in that photo up there were Easter Egg hunting! That small girl and the girl on the right. That girl on the right is 5' 8" I think and only a 12 year old! She was shorter than me last Summer, now she is the same height or taller! Hehe, that thing down by her foot is a thermometer actually, a nail in the tree stopped working, so the thermometer just sits on the ground. Thanks billyp, I like that Dwarf Alberta Spruce too. It is astonishing that it does so well, it is nearly full shade in that spot. See all the big shade trees in that yard? She always is watering it. I'm surprised that in neither of those photos that there is not a garden hose to it! At the same time I planted 2 DAS's here that have only ever gotten rain-water and they are in full sun even! These here are much smaller and oddly enuff, not even as full.
I think they can reach 8 feet tall or so at maturity. If that one at my Mom's ever encroaches on the sidewalk, possibly someday, it might need to become a topiary! lol

I am kinda bummed about some grasses and some little roses that I put in the garage over the Winter, all that stuff might be dead. I was thinking they wouldn't need water over the Winter because they were dormant I thought. My friend here ran with my confession and I think she thinks I did her roses in inadvertently.
I am holding onto hope that they'll start getting buds, hope is alive I say!

Crit, I'd trade you the rainy weather! I need to travel 90 miles one way and mow some grass, I can't do it with all this rain! But, no rain is a bummer, I'm not making light, that would stink.
Will

This message was edited Apr 25, 2011 8:37 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 25, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8520730

We finally are getting some good rain. 2.25" this weekend. Praise GOD! I feel better for the time being. Hope we don't go that long again.

My son's nickname is Short. I started calling him that in High School and he hated it. Later when he started driving semi that was his handle, then when he started his trucking company, he named it Short's Trucking. Everyone thought that was his last name. lol Oh, he is a mere 6'7" tall. Was about 6'4" in high school. :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
4:07 AM

Post #8520953

ImaMes, I figured you were busy and would be back. I'm thrilled that the Oak Leaf Hydrandea is living! I can't wait for it to grow and bloom!

I know how it is. You know you're behind and it takes so long to catch up. I've learned to just read the last current day.

Aww on the Easter dresses :o)

Happ, I think something is going around. Someone else on a thread was sick and my Grandson had a bad day of diahrrea after Easter. I hope you get over it soon!

Will, I think it's a neat screen name. It's kind of like honoring it. Those in conifers would get it right away.

Smiling, I'll bet they still had their eye out for eggs :o)

DD has one, but never waters it now that it's established. It grows slow and is only about 4' tall. I'm thinking that's all the taller this one will get.

All you can do is bring them out, water or let it rainon them. My miscanthus "Little Nicky," which is a zebra, just started growing. I cut last year's dead away yesterday.

Crit, I'm so glad you're getting rain. I know just how it feels. It's almost like you are growing because of it, LOL!

Cool name for your Son :o) Cool that he took it as his own. We have a short guy in town and instead of it being a teasing nick name, he calls himself "Low Rider."

Yesterday, I hoed, raked and planted 6 short rows of spinach before it started to sprinkle. Then I FINALLY sowed all the seeds I needed to put under the lights in the house.

It was not a warm day and I wore a stocking cap in the garden! When I walked around town, I wore my headband and gloves. This morning it's balmy. It rained off and on yesterday and into the night. It's raining now, lightly.

DD and the boys came yesterday and brought me 10 dozen eggs. Dad will get about half of them. I'll use 4 today, in 2 rhubarb custard pies. Spring tonic that rhubarb is :o)

She also brought the meat grinder with juicer attatchment. I can't wait to try it with tomatoes for juice this year. If it works, I'll only have to heat the juice, as it skins and seeds!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8521917

happgarden wrote:sorry for being short (no pun intended) on the phone but I just feel awful and needed to go back to bed...

Will I was referring to your name shortleaf...rofl.
I feel better, was still feeling pretty rough this morning, but I made it... It sure wasn't very warm at lunch...didn't feel like 65...hey your poor southern MO, AR, OK hope you all are ok! I need to include eastern MO in that also...we have been lucky so far...knock on wood!

Will I had a friend who was told by someone not to water her tropicals all winter, well they all died...My rule of thumb is, if it is a bulb you might get away without watering it all winter or something like a huge ee, but anything with just roots I would water, lightly once a month. If the ground isn't frozen outside and we haven't had rain I have heard you should water outside, not that I do that.

HI Ima, I know how hard it is to get back on Dave's once you fill that time with something else...that happened to me back in Jan. when I was dealing with so much stuff.

ImaMes
Camdenton, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8522325

Will - Sorry about your roses and grasses. The exact same thing happened to me several years ago.Then I heard that you are supposed to water them a little about once a month over the winter as Happ said. Maybe yours will come back with some TLC. Hopefully, your friend understands that you didn't kill her roses on purpose.
Easter Sunday was cool here, too, 48*. I didn't wear a jacket to church thinking it would warm up, so I froze when I went flower shopping afterward. It was cold and damp and still 48*! Well... that kept me from blowing my budget...I didn't hang around too long. haha!

Happ - I hope you get feeling better soon.

Crit - So glad to hear you finally got some rain!
That's cool that your son used his nickname for his company. 6'7" - Wow, he's a big guy!

Billyp - I'm so glad you're oakleaf hydrangea survived the winter! Last Fall I planted some babies in the woods along the fence between us and our neighbor, and this Spring the deer ate three of them. (Stupid deer!!!!) One is coming back, but I think the other two are goners. Oh well, I have more hydrangea babies coming up underneath the big one. I'll be able to replace the ones that don't come back. Deer are a real problem around here. And it has gotten really bad in the last two years. This year the county/city decided to have an extra deer hunting season to try to curb the overpopulation. I know many gardeners who were happy to hear that! They did that in St. Louis last year and apparently it helped a lot. Hope it works here.

After all the rain we've had for the last week or so, the sun finally came out this afternoon. First thing I did was go out and spray all my plants with deer repellent. I hope it doesn't rain again tonight...at least for a day or two. :-)

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8522630

I missed part of the 7 day forcast so all I know is 57 for a high tomorrow and windy. Ugh!! I missed the rest of the week but I bet you there is rain in there!! I hope it warms up next week for Mother's Day. I have a ton of plants in the greenhouse that need to get moving to their new homes. It just has been to wet and cold to plant.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
8:23 PM

Post #8523094

Hehe happ, yes I know! I'll take any opportunity to crack a joke! I have accepted my height..lol Happ, I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

Oh, just a reminder to anyone who might be interested, MDC's online seedling sales ends the end of April. - http://extra.mdc.mo.gov/cgi-bin/mdcdevpub/apps/seedlings/search.cgi?record=all Here are the shipping terms - http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/landowners-and-farmers/seedling-orders/2010-2011-seedling-order-form - scroll down to "costs to you", it's quite cheap there. They aren't greedy on the sales tax, it's 2% less. I figured it for an $8 bundle, the tax is 46 cents.

Thanks you guys, I take words of encouragement! That over-wintering is confusing, some plants came back and are leafing out, and some are still brown.
I kinda also suspect the unheated garage, that it didn't get cold enuff for some things to go dormant, much of the time it'd be 55° F down there. Even though there was no open vents in there, there must be escaping heat coming from all the ducts in there or something, and the furnace/blower itself is down there. In retrospect, I think I woulda been alright to just leave most of them outside. Oh, they have been getting rained on alot, so I'll just have to wait and see if they sprout!

I like that bulb and root advice, I hope my Elephant Ear bulbs do that! They haven't started sprouting yet, I would be more ill if they succumbed!

I'm holding onto hope that the Roses are still alive, she knows I wouldn't purposefully neglect them!

Now, that is some eggs billyp!

Hehe, now if my nickname were "Four eyes", I'd be in trouble, that would be true! lol Eeek! "Low rider", that would take some confidence to call yourself that!
From what I saw of the forecast tonite, it is warming up here and gonna be quite pleasant for several days, tho forecasts have been wrong before!
I was suprised at the lack of rain in the forecast.
Will

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8523517

I was glad with my procrastination of getting my plants taken outside last weekend. We had pea to marbel size hail yesterday evening that covered the ground so much it looked like snow!!!!! It would of beaten them all to death. I stand by my rule here not to put anything out until May 1st. You just can't trust our weather. Although the nice rain we have been having would of been good for them, it would of been for naught after that hail!!!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
4:57 AM

Post #8523540

Happ, I'm glad you're better. It's no fun being sick this late in the year

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
5:01 AM

Post #8523551

Happ, I'm glad you're better. It's no fun being sick this late in the year

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8523555

Well, I've tried twice. I'll save the copy and try later.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8523663

Crit, I am with you I do NOT put plants out until May and in my case not until the middle of May. I was at the nursery a few weeks back and people were carrying out these huge tomato plants, and I just knew in my heart of hearts they were going to stick them outside cause it was 80 that day...course we have been in the 40's almost every night, I don't think those tomatos will like that. Yuck on the hail on the flowers...we had two tornados one year way to close and the winds were awful. After the storms I was walking around and couldn't figure out what had happened to the iris, they had all these hash marks all over their beautiful green leaves, then the light bulb went off and it was the mulch blowing so hard it scarred the leaves...

I feel human again, I went home and planted up some lily bulbs just because if I didn't I was going to lose them, but then I went to bed...I feel sooooooooo much better...

Ima, if you ever get any more spare babies on the oak leaf hydra. and time (time being the hardest to come by) I would love to beg one from you. I would gladly pay shipping and all that.

Short I have overwintered ee's all the time and several don't get watered all winter and seem to pop back, but it takes them awhile to come out of dormant. The best thing is to water a little once a month then they pop back faster...if you kept the plants at 55 the ee's probably went dormant, but the roses would not of. I have a mg in our group with a commerical greenhouse and during the winter that is what they keep the greenhouse at if the sun doesn't shine.

Planted some tomato seeds this morning. Black Russian tomato, True BrandyWine, and Copia. I have one more packet to get started but had to come to work and the name escapes me now. Actually I have several more packets to start but they are hybrids and not hierlooms. I got these from Bakers Creek, our MG group sells heirlooms but not these.

BillyP never heard of rubarb custard pie before, it sounds wonderful!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2011
8:41 AM

Post #8523974

I too never watered things till last year. We all have the same dormant idea I think.

I've heard to water the pine trees. It's hard for them to get moisture when the ground is frozen, but they lose moisture thru their needles all winter. A nursery guy suggested burying a PCV pipe along side it when planting, and watering thru the first and second years.

ImaMes, there will be warmer days to start with a NEW budget! LOL!

Yeah, stupid deer! You will have to get some chicken wire to keep things safe. I'll have to remove the fencing over mine and replace it. I won't let anything eat it now!

It's funny, last year they quit selling deer licenses because we didn't have enough to hunt. SIL didn't get one last year and I missed the burger. I found a loin in the freezer and cooked it like round steak, with mushrooms and mushroom soup. It was tender and delicious! It really smelled good when reheating.

Pepper, I find April is starting to be depressing. I'm so glad we'll be into May.

Will, I wish I had a garage warm enough to overwinter things.

Low Rider works for him. Everytime I see him drive by, the song goes thru my head, LOL!

Alas, another chance of rain today and tomorrw. I doubt we get much, but I am so sick of the wind coming from the North!

Well, my paste and copy never caught all the post. Crit you saved me, LOL!

You were so smart to not put the plants out! I don't trust the weather any more than the forecaster anymore.

Was the hail from a thunderstorm?

Happ, nope, tomatoes like it hot! I feel for those beauties too.

I'll post the recipe in the next post. It will be the second time today :o)

The Oak Leaf had Fall color :o)

(AHA! I know why it wouldn't post all of it the second time. I needed to erase the first line that did go thru!)

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
2:33 PM

Post #8524591

If you have problem with deer, rabbits, squirrels or any other of God's creatures that like your plants as much as you do, put a circle of human hair around them, and if they grow tall and are eaten from above, weave some throughout it. They won't like the human scent and will leave it along. My DH laughed at me until we didn't have one tomato or green pepper 'stolen' last year. I watched. lol
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8524597

p.s. If you have hair like I do, just save it out of your brush in a plastic bag all winter. Or if you don't or just need more, ask your hairdresser. They are always glad to save you some to put around the ground.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
6:26 PM

Post #8525084

Will, thanks for the info on the sale. I need to get some Witchhazel and Spicebush both.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8525100

See the car really is in the garage! lol In the photo up there it is still a yard ornament, not anymore! You can see it in the photo, in the garage even, it's under a car cover. Now, the yard is still a mess.
I steered the heck out of that car! It wasn't running, so no power steering, it was quite laborious. I musta looked like a heel with 2 ladies pushing and me steering, I offered to push, but they wanted me to steer, they weren't good with a manual transmission car either. One lady broke her heels she said. But, we got the unlicensed car in the garage in any case! All that debris in the foreground is an unassembled exercise machine that my friend brought home some 13 years ago (it's been outside all that time), she refuses to let that thing go. Even now, with code enforcement on her, she wants to box it up and keep it. All that code enforcement wanted her to do was put away the car she says. I think she keeps the fitness machine as a reminder of something not to do, kinda in a self-deprecating way, that stuff is rusted and way beyond repair and/or assembly! Some of the parts could be reused if she wanted, like pulleys and cables. I don't say much, it's her stuff and her yard, I will likely be boxing it up soon tho.

Hmmm.. I never thought of that, a garage greenhouse eh? We'd have to sell the car first to do that, but it's an idea. I wasn't able to wait quite until May 1st before setting out my plants because of needing the garage's floor space. Its an attached garage, I think the heat in the house keeps the garage pretty warm.
I am now working on a big planting of Wisteria by this one section of chain-link fence.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 6:49 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8525102

You're welcome Pepper.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8525104

Well, my dad decided to use Forsythia as our replacement for bush honeysuckle instead of the witchhazel or spicebush. Darn it!! lol
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
6:36 PM

Post #8525114

Will, make sure you have American Wisteria, not Chinese Wisteria. Otherwise your whole yard will be overtaken.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
9:13 PM

Post #8525434

Thanks Pepper, I'm pretty sure it is Chinese Wisteria, (Wisteria sinensis). But, it's free and my friend here loves the lavender flowers. This one elderly man they knew came here and did some yardwork and cut to the ground a mature flowering Wisteria that her and her Mom loved. It only takes about 7 years (sarcasm) for a Wisteria plant to flower from seed! Mind you, this is the same guy that built a composter that had no opening to get in there and turn the stuff over. I'm thinking that kind of work wasn't his thing! Being gone to work while "landscapers" are here hasn't worked out much for my friend here. I could go on, she had tree trimmers here that trimmed off too much, and I think they dropped a big branch on her chainlink fence and bent it a little, (that was about 3 years ago tho, they're prolly out of business I hope).
But, the Wisteria is gonna be between (in a strip of dirt, up the chainlink fence) the driveway here and the driveway nextdoor, no yard around. I get the seeds from the former Stephensons restaurant at 40 hwy. and Lee's Summit Rd. in Independence, MO. They had this outdoor seating there that had (has) this beautiful old Arbor with old Wisteria growing all along it. The seeds from there are sprouting now, plus I have some from last year that are leafing out. Here are some seeds from there sprouting this Spring -
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8525637

Crit, laughing! I used to have the hair dresser to save me hair. It doesn't take long to get a bagful! I used it around my roses, in the compost pile, etc. I'm lucky that the critters don't bother my garden or flowers much.

PS. I throw all my hair in my compost bucket. Theres a little bit of me all over the place :o)

Will, Congrats on the car! At least you had some help, but I'm smiling over the image. I never thought of the car having no power steering. It's a job done once, and now it's done! It gives you more room to walk around the yard.

I guess I would be boxing it up for her and get it out of sight. I would rather not have to be told by the ordinance enforcers :o)

Just think of what you could do with access to the back and sides of the shed. It's the perfect place for Hollyhocks! Better paint the back with a water proof paint or you will be cutting and replacing the bottom part.

I'm jealous of your attached garage.

Awww Pepper, I have been looking at the Forsythias blooming around here. Either I'm seeing them late or the blooms are just spotty because of the hot and cold. I had considered a mini bush. Now I don't think I will. Bad Daddy!

Will, it sounds like your friend was trying to save money on help. Sadly, you get what you pay for. Especially if they happen to come to the door offering to do it cheap. We had a truck-load come by a couple years in a row. I told them no both times .

Wow, I'm impresssed you got the Wisteria to sprout! Pretty cool!

It's going to be a windy nasty day here :o(

I need to measure in the garden for landscaping blocks. It has a slight slope and I want to just make a sort of raised bed. The ''raised'' is already there. I only need to buy and get the stones in, and level a bit on what will be a ''lower'' level. It will fence in the rhubarb patch.

This is last years photo. The rhubarb closest is gone. I had seven plants and that was too many. I kept four. Now I wish I had them in a row, but rhubarb gets big fast and it's too late now! That will be my Fall job. I also need to get the Balloon Flowers and the tulips moved from the garden edges. Then the rhubarb can be replanted.

Thumbnail by billyporter

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
4:29 AM

Post #8525672

Will, hate to tell your friend but I think the city will add to the list besides the car...my little sister has an empty lot next to her house and who ever owns it never took care of it and the city kept mailing my little sister notices that they were gonna do this and that! She would have to take off work and go up there and prove over and over she didn't own the lot...finally her and her husband got so peeved about the whole thing they now take care of the lot, and park their boat and trailer on it...rofl. I hear if you do that so long being a squatter the property is hers...but when the city was giving them a problem about the lot the city would look over her privacy fence! (they have a pool so they had to have a high fence). So like I said they just take care of the lot.

I had wisteria crush a porch one time, be very careful about what it grows on...wasn't so bad tho I got a much bigger porch..rofl.

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8525715

I think the 'squatters rights' is 7 years. We had a neighbor one time put up a privacy fence, and set it in 1' from the property line, so neighbors on either side couldn't tie into it. (they were weird people!) The city told me in 7 years that 1' would revert to the people on either side of them. LOL I thought that was a just deserve.

Yup, the hair thing really does work. When I got my hair cut (it was to my waist), I donated 10" to Locks of Love and told my hairdresser I wanted the rest of the clippings. She said 'oh, you are going to put it in your garden?'. My DH about fell out of his chair. He thought I made it up. Of course with that much hair, I also had a big ball of hair I had been saving from my brush. He won't admit it still, thinks I am silly.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8526707

Hehe... I'm gonna tease my friend here later when she gets home. I'm gonna tell her, "you know in 5 years I'm going to own you're house, it's a squatter's law".
I've already told her, "you have to give me 30 days notice if you want to throw me out"!

I can get plenty of my own hair, I cut it and I do a better job than Fantastic Sams or most haircutting places, they usually mess up my hair.
We don't really have a problem with deer, although, they are in the neighborhood, I've seen them too. But, this is a residential area and they usually stay in the woods around here. I'll remember that deer deterrent tho because I'd love to be in a more rural area someday and I love to deter some hooved rats!

Boy, that was some tornado devastation down South, poor people. I can't imagine what life must become when something like that happens.

I can't believe the lows still! They are forecasting 37° F Monday nite on the peacock channel KSHB!

Here is that Wisteria planting that I'm planning. I asked my friend before I started on it, she is all into it too. Now, I just have all this decorative rock to dig out and decide what to do with. I don't know if I should wash and rinse it all and find a use for it maybe someday or throw it away. They apparently (the previous owners) didn't think that thru when they put it down, it is just a mess now and I can't get it all out.

Oh, the help on pushing the car was an aide here, we know her, she is an employee of my friend's. I asked her, she didn't break her shoe, it just got all muddy.
Yeah, it's prolly not enuff cleanup for the city. I plan on doing much more, but I'm more of a long term cleaner, I'm not big on the city deadlines.
Thanks billyp, I am lucky that the Wisteria seeds sprouts so easily.

Thanks, glad that car went in the garage okay, it was a tight squeeze. I have plans on painting that shed and sprucing up around it. I really don't want to replace the wafer board sides. The back that you see in the photos isn't as bad as the sides, they are deteriorated bad around the bottom. That shed was done pretty right actually. They took the time to build little concrete walls for the shed to sit on even. I think it's just so old and made of inexpensive materials that it is in bad need of attention now. The previous owners did that I'm sure, I bet that shed goes back 30 years or more.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2011 6:48 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2011
3:40 AM

Post #8527775

34°/67°
Sunny to partly cloudy. High 67F. Winds SSE at 10 to 20 mph.

Happ, I hope your sister DOES get squatter's rights. It would serve the owner right.

Oh yeah, I'd like to be in the pool ans see someone look over the fence! That would make me sooo mad!

Crit, here we have to put it a foot from the propertry line so you can mow behind it. I'm not sure I'd like someone tying into my fence.

ROTFL over DH's reaction. MY DH didn't know what I wanted it for either!!

Will, laughing!! Let's hope she doesn't jokingly give you notice!

Give the deer time. They are right in the neighborhood on Long Island.

Those lows are more for our area. They must be right about the cool Spring. That's not good. It can be cool all thru June. I'll have to Google the Farmer's Almanac and see what they say.

The decorative rock might be used around your pond somehow. It doesn't look like it has any color or ''decoration.'' You'll have to wash some and see.

It's always a shame to lose a shed. You might need to replace some of it just to save the rest.

We might see 70* today and since it didn't rain, I'm going to try and hoe the weeds, turn the wet dirt, rake it and plant radish, etc. and more spinach. It's time to get going on these things!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8527851

Will, I tried digging and washing pea gravel one time and lava rock, I swear the stuff mulitplied...it was a chore. Will, you will have to look on the internet about the shed houses...rofl, they are minature houses some built on trailers to be towed behind your car if you go on vacation or move. Save for a shed and if you get thrown out find an empty vacated lot and move in, I know of several lots people don't take care of, obviously the owner never comes by and the city would be thrilled...rofl. The rose is doing good it hasn't wilted or anything.

Crit I will tell my sister. Funny thing my sister doesn't want the property cause she doesn't want to pay taxes, insurance, and all that stuff. Yeah the city guy scared my nephew when he went peering over the fence...my nephew is 25 but not excepting someone looking over. Does hair work for rabbits? My sister has a terrible time with rabbits, her veggie garden is outside the privacy fence.

I saw people planting annuals yesterday, but I think it is still too early myselft...

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 1:28 PM
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 29, 2011
11:12 AM

Post #8528494

The human hair works on any type of wild critter. It is the human smell that keeps them away. That has been my experience
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

April 29, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8528609

ta taaaaaaa! I have both concrete raised beds completed, had enough blocks left to do a smaller one and have one block left over...rofl. So one thing off the list 545 left to do, got the pond cleaned, yuck! So one more thing off the list 544 left to do...oops, there is a leak in the pond the water is going down, dang add 1 thing back to the list, 545 geezh!

Well better go mow, it is clouding up, but I thought when I looked at the forecast it didn't say anything about rain...

Transplanted a few plants, split some for the sale, several hostas, and several daylilies. Still have more I need to do.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8529158

Crit, I got my cannas out and as soon as I find a box I will get them mailed to you.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011

Post #8529301

Thats quite alot of things to do there, happ! Hehe, it multiplies eh?! My friend here wants me to wash it so maybe we can use it someday, oh joy!
Yeah, maybe in the pond somehow. It's pretty neat rock. I think it is a colored rock, it might even be rounded like some kind of River Rock perhaps.
I took a photo of it if somebody knows wants to take a shot at what it might be. I'll have about 200 - 300 lbs. of it, maybe more. I'm thinking it would be really neat in the waterpond that I plan. That 5 gallon bucket of it in the photo is one of 4 buckets so far, though the other buckets are smaller a little, they're cat litter jugs.

Thanks happ, looking forward to that Rose, glad to hear it's doing good.

Oh, she says she would never throw me out! But, she does get a big smile of me telling her those things, like, "I'll have you know you have to give me 30 days notice if you want to throw me out", thats what I tell her pretty regularly when she gets mad. She thinks thats funny, but I know the law from all the Judge shows I watch! She smiled big on me yesterday telling her I'm going to own her house in 5 years from squatting!

Now, the forecast has changed already for this area - http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Independence MO 64054, altho, it could change again.
Channel 9 news (ABC) says a low of 36° F Sunday nite.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011

Post #8529302

Here is my likely dead section of plants. Those are my friend's rose plants up there on the right by the bricks. She took one look at them a couple days ago and she says, "yep, they're dead", but I'm gonna give them a while longer to make sure, because that stinks, and they were mail-order, like all the dead grasses were. I dug up the rec't to those 2 expired Blueberry bushes up there.
I also found the rec't for 2 Butterfly Bushes that I think might be expired.
Thats some manual labor there happ, doing all those blocks, they'd make some nice raised beds when you're done tho. In this photo they are mostly dead plants in it, but for example those Hens and Chicks aren't dead.

*edit* Nevermind, the Hens and Chicks didn't make the photo! : )

This message was edited Apr 29, 2011 7:49 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8529303

Here is one side of that shed, it's pretty well rotted. -

Thumbnail by shortleaf

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8529329

Will, see if the branches snap. If they snap instead of bending they are dead. If there is green under the bark, still alive.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8529410

Thanks Pepper, I'll try that tomorrow.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8529881

Happ, I hate washing rock too :o)

I love the shed/house idea!! How neat to squat till moved, and then find another lot to beautify!

Better your nephew peeked at in the pool than you!

My Grandma put flour on her tulip leaves. I tried it and it works. It's not very attractive tho.

So cool on the raised beds!! Oh boy, cleaning the pond. I'll bet you are glad that's done! I've seen people standing in their's throwing the green stuff in buckets.

My, but that's quite a list of To Do's!

Will, I think it is river rock. Pea gravel is all small. I would definately use it! It might be easier to put it where you want it and hose off the top. Let the rain filter down to what you can't see. A leaf blower would clean the debris out of it.

She sounds like a sweetie :o)

Yeah, don't give up on anything, but I'll bet the roses are gone. Do a bit of top pruning on them, water and wait. The butterfly bush takes forever to show up, so there's hope for it too.

Yayyy for receipts. I guess we all learned a lessson. Water in Winter.

Will, tell her the shed is worth saving. One sheet of plywood might do the sides. Get treated wood.

We had a chance of rain today, so I worked in the gardens all day yesterday. I planted all the early things, radish, turnip, kohlrobi, beet and the rest of the spinach. Then I watered all the rows.

I worked in the other garden after that. I had measured the rhubarb patch and left the string. I leveled out the sloped area and raked the dirt to the low spots. Some I added to the rhubarb bed. Next goal is to get the flowers out of the garden for once and for all!!

We are going to Pizza Ranch to eat my free medium Birthday pizza before we go to Menards. I have a coupon signed by the owners. Wasn't that a nice small town thing to do?

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8529882

Another view :o)

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 30, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8529886

I saw two huge earthworms!

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2011
10:22 AM

Post #8530336

THANK YOU pepper!!! I'm so excited!!!

Use some marine plywood on the shed to deter the rotting. It's a little more expensive, but they use it on platform type boats.
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2011
9:46 PM

Post #8531490

I've heard about those shed/houses. Thats what I want to do really, I'd love to live in a shed! I don't know if I could get away with it in city-limits though. I'd make one of those 55 gallon drum septic-tanks and get a $120 cast iron stove for Winter.

My friend a sweetie? She really is, I tell her that all the time too.
Thanks, I hope it is river rock too. I too like the idea of putting it where it's gonna go, I'm thinking the bottom of the waterpond.

Thanks, I'll suggest treated or marine plywood to her to rejuvenate the shed's walls.

I tried snapping a branch like Pepper suggested, a Rose snapped like it's dead.

How about all these limestone rocks I got today on the way back from mowing?

Nice work on the beds, they are coming along nicely billyp, good work.
Those look like Night Crawlers!
Pizza Ranch just sounds fun!

*edit* The photo that I meant to attach to this post is below, sorry. : )

This message was edited Apr 30, 2011 10:50 PM
shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8531491

Here is the bluffs where the rocks came from. I just get the fallen ones, I'd never pull any out of the bluff.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2011
9:47 PM

Post #8531492

Can anybody guess without cursing, (however hard it might be..lol) what this is?! Aren't the cats here just precious?!
I'm sure the Ficus is thrilled!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

shortleaf
suburban K.C., MO
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2011
9:49 PM

Post #8531495

Here is my few limestone rocks that I got today.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8531643

Will, thanks! I'm lucky to be able to get garden in when most of those South of me are drowning.

Wow! No lack of rocks there! What a beautiful wall they make!

I can't curse, I'm too busy laughing! Yep, cats are the best!

Yeah, I like those rocks!

The landscape blocks are in place with DH doing most of it. I also planted Glads and 100 onion sets. The garden is done for a while.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8532432

billy your beds look wonderful

as for the other picture ... ewwwwwwwwwwww, gross!!!!!!!!! Another reason I am not a cat person.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8532612

New May thread!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1177366/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 11 May 13, 2008 1:11 AM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America