Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: A new Baby

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 45, Views: 410
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2011
5:35 PM

Post #8465747

Yesterday the weather was warm...almost like spring.The snowbanks had melted enough so I could inspect my garden.Well...I found a young goldfish nearly 2" long. I've never had young ones in my pond in the last 12 years I've had the pond Here is a picture of the family.

Thumbnail by agedgardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2011
5:40 PM

Post #8465760

Today is a different story.We have had a snow storm.It has deposited heavy wet snow 20Cm.This is what it has done to my pines

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 1, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8465951

So sorry, to see the damage to your pine. They said the highway was closed, from Woodstock to Moncton, this afternoon. We got it tonight at diner time. The wind has picked up and seeing blowing snow out there.
Congratulation on the new addition to your pond. How many Goldfish do you have?
I get new fishes every year, but most of them are eaten by the other goldfishes and other critters in the pond. I'm glad they don't all survive, I wouldn't know, what to do with them all. ;)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8471166

AG - your babies are so cute...

Sorry about the pine tree. I hope the shape of the tree isn't ruined.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2011
9:47 AM

Post #8471180

Joy - congratulations on your grandgoldfish!

I hope the pines bounce back. Are they broken limbs on the ground? I hope not.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8471303

Thanks for all the congratulations.The pine is very brittle and we loose a branch or two every winter.It really doesn't do the trees any harm.It grows so luxuriantly it needs pruning. We are surrounded by very large trees.Some of the other trees were bending dangerously near the power line.Last summer a branch fell on the power line that goes through our garden and put the power off all over the city.It wasn't our tree thank goodness.We are expecting another snow storm tonight and tomorrow.I haven't been out to check the menage aux trois in my pond.Too much snow!!. JOY
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2011
11:32 AM

Post #8471376

I'm guessing the fish do fine through all the snow storms, Joy. I do remember all your trees and the lovely shade.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
12:06 PM

Post #8471431

Well, if this makes ya'll down south feel any better, I spent part of this morning rigging one of my pumps to a 4x4 at the deep end of the pond to try to open the ice down there and push it toward the shallows. also to pull water from the shallows where I have an aerator. Trying to 'freshen' up the pond as soon as I can to see what survived the winter.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
12:09 PM

Post #8471438

Closeup of the pump set up. I was a little worried of losing my balance and going in headfirst while I was stringing up the pump and trying to get it directed in the right way.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 4, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8471766

Do you still have your pond deicer in the pond? My fish come up to the warm water around the de-icer.Last year a Crow caught one and sat on the ice and ate it.I lived in Wrangell when I was a child .We didn't have the cold you do.I've been following your posts with interest. My fish live over the winter to be devoured by a raccoon or something when they are large enough fo a good meal.My big concern this spring is my Lotus.I've left two de-icers in to warm the water.The ice has been gone for a while.It still freezes over at night.JOY
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
3:02 PM

Post #8471861

I had to go look. You were way warmer down on Wrangell. I still have a deicer in the skimmer and remember last year finding a few small fish in there from time to time. I suspect the deicer could keep that little black box warmer than the pond in general. I don't have any deicers in the main pond now that I have lots of open water and moving water. It could drop and freeze on me before full spring though. Mine skims over fairly lightly at night, but melts pretty fast. I don't think that the deicers can do much more than keep a hole open in my pond. it is running 32-34F at the bottom, with one huge ice cube in the middle. Just too much mass of cold. I feel for you with your varmints. At least I don't have that problem. I see little cat prints sometimes but they can't get to my fish who stay pretty much in the middle and toward the bottom.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
3:11 PM

Post #8471879

ms/Joy -

when do both of you generally have spring in your respective areas?
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
3:33 PM

Post #8471907

Shortly before Fall up here. ROTFL. I guess it depends on your definition of spring. I guess I figure when the snow is gone and it is in the 50's steady. That would be May, say middle of?? depending. Flowers go into the ground June 1 for the risk-averse, and May 20 for the daring souls. Can't depend on the weather man to tell us. This pic was taken May 14 and is fairly representative. This hill has all perennials: Pinkie Alpine Daisy, Shooting Star, Sylvestris Anemone, Day lilies, fringed bleeding heart, columbine (dwarf Barlow type), rote and blau glocke. I will look at holder pictures to see when the snow was still around

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8471913

Back yard on April 4th.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
8:04 AM

Post #8473424

snow today after rain (both slight) yesterday. I don't think the snow is even staying on the ground when it hits. I do hope everyone down south is doing okay. I read the news about the weather down there this morning and was worried about all my friends here at Dave's. And even if you people are okay, what about your yards and ponds?
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
10:12 AM

Post #8473684

We are having much the same weather as you here on the other side of the continent.My garden is really a mess.Last fall I didn't have the fall cleanup done on my flowerbeds.The birds did like eating the seed head but what a mess now.The snow is still with us in spots,but as soon as it is gone I'll call my helpers to come and clean up the worst of it.I have spring bulbs out front front that I don't want them to step on.Here is a picture of my pond today...not really a thing of beauty right now.

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
10:15 AM

Post #8473690

This is the snow bank.It will be here for a while yet I'm afraid JOY

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
10:16 AM

Post #8473692

We did just the opposite and had everything cut back simply because we knew we'd lose our helper, Neri, so we wanted to get ahead. He did a great job and now I think of him and miss him even more. He'd get up all these twigs and old leaves in one day's time.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
10:37 AM

Post #8473715

AG, amazing how yukky our ponds look in spring and how gorgeous they become in a few short months. See what you mean about junk from last fall. Looks like a Bergenia laying flat in the front. I seriously underestimated our snowdump today. I took this a bout an hour ago and it is still falling.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8473719

the pump is spewing water down in the front of the picture and the aerator is bubbling toward the back. What a mess. And to add insult to injury, look at what my outdoor thermometer shows.

Thumbnail by Oberon46

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
12:08 PM

Post #8473887

Hi girls let me introduce you to my friend Pirl from New York state.Pirle and her husband Jack visited me a few years ago.My cat Willow just came in and insists on sitting on my lap, He is wet and cold ...needs to be cuddled.I try to keep myself happy with my indoor garden.It is thriving ever since Pirl brought me some messenger.I've been using it ever since.
Here are some pictures.JOY

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8473892

Joy -

Gorgeous, gorgeous flowers. Do you use messenger on your orchids? they are stunning.

I know Pirlie... she's a very kind and thoughtful person.

Carolyn
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8473906

Yes I do use messenger on my Orchids and all my houseplants.I've managed to keep this Bougainvillea alive over two winters

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
12:18 PM

Post #8473912

This is the cat Willow and another shot of my flowers

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
12:45 PM

Post #8474048

Joy is a very lovely lady, a warm and gracious hostess and she has a very beautiful home and such inviting gardens. Her son and his family were most welcoming and Andy, her son, gave us a tour of Fredericton the day after Joy made a delightful and delicious meal for us. Here she is bringing out the dessert. What a perfect evening!

I know I have another package of Messenger around here somewhere, Joy. When I find it I'll send it to you.

Thumbnail by pirl

agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
12:58 PM

Post #8474073

Oh Pirl you are too sweet. I would love to have some Messenger. They are making it under another name now. I did know the new name but I've lost it...down to my last package.My image has changed... age catches up with us but I still try to outrace it.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8474129

Joy -

your plants both inside and outside are just beautiful. I think I should probably be giving mine messenger as well... I have wanted to try Bougainvillea, but figured I would never get it to flower in my zone... Willow is a beauty. I am a cat lover as well...
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8474166

When I brought the bougainvillea in last fall it was so full and covered with buds.Only the one branch survived. It really likes to be warm. JOY
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8474282

You still look wonderful, Joy.

We've had Bougainvillea flower in a large southwest window over winter.

I'll keep looking for the Messenger.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8474447

Arlene -

where does one find messenger?
BeaHive
Dallas, OR
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2011
4:56 PM

Post #8474544

think this is what you are looking for.
http://www.gardeningthings.com/organic-natural-fertilizers-biostimulants-c-67/employ-reg-plant-health-promoter-2oz-package-p-183
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
5:20 PM

Post #8474604

Thanks!
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8474695

Beahive I tried to order from the company but they won't ship to Canada.I used to get Messenger from a company that is no longer in business.It isn't sold in Canada.Did you find any other sources? If you did could you let me know.JOY
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
6:43 PM

Post #8474852

Joy, I could order it for you assuming they are reasonable about freight, and send it on. USPS isn't too bad here. Oh, but you are clear on the other side of the continent. Forget that I guess. Sorry.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 5, 2011
8:18 PM

Post #8475068

MsStella Thanks for the offer. I think it is just a case where I need to find another supplier. It is hard to find.Keep warm JOY

bellieg
Virginia Beach, VA

April 5, 2011
11:34 PM

Post #8475217

I use messenger which I bought at DG coop few years ago.

As far as bouganvillia I had a couple but died, they like warm /hot/humid weather. I did nit have much room in the sun room so i had cut back buying tropicals. Happy gardening !!! Belle
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2011
7:50 AM

Post #8475785

I am going to have to give the Bougainvillea a try. I remember the last time we were in Florida - Bougainvillea was growing off the side of a building. It was gorgeous...
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8482262

Be aware though, that it has huge 2 inch thorns, so dont put it where children will run into it.
agedgardener
Fredericton N B
Canada
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2011
3:03 PM

Post #8485586

To change the subject back to babies...I'm pleased to announce that two more have appeared,A black one and a calico one.All the adult fish are all gold.I just wonder what has been going on.I didn't see them.My DIL found them.I did see them when they were pointed out to me. I'm booked to have my cataract removed on Friday.I hope I'll see them better after that. JOY
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8485723

I'm sure you will. I asked the doc if I'd lose my wrinkles with the cataract operation and he told me I wouldn't but I'd be able to see them better: he was right! My next one is 5/11.

Good luck, Joy.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2011
3:52 PM

Post #8485724

Good luck AG. My step-mom had it done at over 80 and she said the whole world opened up. She could hardly see the tv and was losing colors badly.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2011
4:51 PM

Post #8485849

Joy

Good luck with your cataract operation. I am wondering how many more baby fish you will see after you have the operation.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2011
8:53 PM

Post #8486534

Agedgardener, you should see a big difference after the operation. I had a few close family member who had it done with remarkable report, of how well they could see after. I have to take a friend to get her's done on Tuesday. Wishing you the best with this operation.

The baby goldfishes are usually black the first year, they will turn orange by the end of the second year. The calico one, the mom must of had Shubunkins or Sarasa Comet genes. It should be interesting to see, what coloration that one will have.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2011
5:52 PM

Post #8488644

I spotted a gold fish. First one of the spring. All the ice has broken loose from the rock and is floating like icebergs. they should melt faster now. I pulled my three lily pots to a shallower place and when I did a goldfish darted, well maybe not DARTED. Sort of meandered, as I assume he is still half-asleep. The water is still around 32F down there with the ice holding half way under the surface. With the ice free now, then melting, the water will start warming. If there is one there is more. Will anxiously await to see if the Koi are still there.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2011
6:08 PM

Post #8488694

New baby discoveries are fun! I've had one pond of koi spawn already this year, and a few goldfish. Because I wasn't ready for them I'm not sure any of the eggs will hatch, although there were plenty of them. It's always interesting that, although the same time of year in the same enviroment, all of my 3 small ponds act completely differently. No spawning in the others at all...
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2011
6:45 PM

Post #8488800

that is strange, Mary. There must be some difference. Fish, water, shade, sun, depth...something.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America