Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Invasive Succulents in My Yard: Strange behaviour in different climate

Communities > Forums > Article: Invasive Succulents in My Yard
bookmark
Forum: Article: Invasive Succulents in My YardReplies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jakarta
Indonesia

April 1, 2011
11:48 PM

Post #8466272

If only I've read this kind article months ago. Mr Stein, you made very good point about 'invasive' potential of various succulent. While I live in Indonesia, we have climate somewhat similar to your place (being difference only monsoon flood instead of winter).

Seems some succulents like those you've mentioned gone rampant in this kind of climate. Even monsoon rainfall won't affect them (at least not in bad ways). Seems going half thirsty in desert climate doesn't mean it can not adapt to a more wet areas.

Kalanchoes, like you said, are the most annoying things. I should have started worry when I found a plantlet grew in a dirt attached to my boots.

Aloes, common plants in Indonesia, I've seen them taken over whole roofs if untended. In climate such as ours, they don't even need someone to water them. A colony can stay and grow for years with nothing but annual rainfall.

Drimiopsis is another annoying little bulb succulent which just won't die. Every fallen leaves can grow into new bulbs (not to mention original plant) and they aren't affected with too much water either.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2011
1:51 AM

Post #8466304

Wow... sounds like a great climate to grow things you DO want to grow, at least.
JoannCooper
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 8b)

March 11, 2013
8:11 AM

Post #9445700

Wow. I never thought of agaves as being the traveling types. I just moved into a climate where I can finally have some agaves, and I'll have to keep that in mind. Agave is NOT something I want to fool with once I've placed it in it's "forever" home. Thanks for the tip!

I'm also growing delosperma cooperi for the first time, and really loving it - but it does spread quickly after the first year. I've learned to plant it only at the base of sturdy, deep rooted plants that won't be smothered by it or pulled out with it when I am forced to thin it. It looks especially nice around the feet of yucca and agave. Of course, when you do pull it up, keep in mind that every little piece will root and start a new colony - so don't drop any!

Some succulents do surprising things. I planted a small variegated 1" tall groundcover sedum (name unknown) around the base of a low planter last year, expecting it to form a mat around the foot of the planter. This spring I was surprised to find that it had "climbed" (more or less pushed itself) up the side of the planter and taken root inside. And it was such a dainty looking little thing! Whoda thunk???

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Invasive Succulents in My Yard Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Invasive ... or very good survivor ! binibusybee 5 Apr 27, 2011 2:58 PM
Ice plants pfherd 1 Mar 28, 2011 5:59 PM
Pick Me synda 0 Mar 28, 2011 3:44 PM
Mother of Thousands rickmccj 2 Mar 13, 2013 12:00 PM
Thanks... I can testify! cabngirl 0 Mar 28, 2011 8:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America