Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Carolina Gardening: Tulips for the deep south

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 21, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
6:55 AM

Post #8466617

This is a small pot of species tulips and I have found they are truly hardy even down here on the border of 8b/9a. The squirrels get the bulbs I put in the ground, leaving me only a bulb or two, but those in pots seem to be safe. I have one large pot that has multiplied to several dozen bulbs that has reliably bloomed for several years now. The flowers are smaller than the fancy hybrids but they are so nice to see on a spring day. I found these bulbs stored in my outside fridge and only planted them about a month ago. Riverbanks Botanical Garden has a great bulb sale every fall and their prices are excellent.

I think this one is 'Lady Jane'.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 2, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8466996

those are very pretty Ardesia!!! I like that they don't look like every other tulip out there! very pretty indeed...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2011
2:31 PM

Post #8467280

Thanks, I love these little bulbs.
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2011
3:27 AM

Post #8468192

Those are lovely.

I planted 100 bulbs of Tulipa clusiana var chrysantha this year in the lawn. They're also a species tulip and I got them from Riverbanks. They're very cute, yellow with red on the outside when closed.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2011
4:04 AM

Post #8468253

I'm a transplanted yanked (26 years) and greatly miss tulips. What did you have to do to get them to bloom? Do you have to store them cold from die back to planting? Tell me your tricks please. I no longer have a garage refridgerator but have a wine/beer one set at 41. Will that work? Can you tell I am excited to have tulips again? Where is Riverbanks botanical, Columbia? Will have to google it. Thanks so much, Susan
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 3, 2011
5:43 AM

Post #8468389

Susan - it's an exit for you coming from Charleston right off of 26...Florence is also having it's yearly Spring Flower show next weekend and then Columbia is the weekend after that...there's always one vendor I try to buy from - he does strictly native plants to the Carolinas...
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8468411

Susan-

Species tulips are more simple and are the precursors of the spectacular hybrid tulips. Because they're from the Mediterranean they do better in the south and can perennialize. Lots of places have the bulbs, here's a link to John Scheepers:
http://www.johnscheepers.com/catview.cgi?_fn=Product&_category=Tulips:Species

Jenny
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2011
6:53 AM

Post #8468506

Susan, Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Garden is outside of Columbia and their fall bulb sale is always a winner, I order mine online and have them shipped. You do not have to do anything to these tulips. Plant 'em and forget 'em. As I merntioned earlier, the squirrels got most of what I put in the ground but those in pots have been happy for years. I sprinkle a slow release fertilizer on the pots in early spring, and as soon as they finish blooming I move the pot someplace where it will get some water but be protected from the squirrels. That's it, seriously! No refrigeration required. As they sprout in the spring I move the pots out onto the deck so I can see them.

Jenny (bordersandjacks) has many dogs and no squirrels so she can plant them in her lawn. I only have one dog and he is a wuss so the squirrels and deer run rampant here.
alice
themikeman
Concord, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2011
1:09 PM

Post #8469157

Absolutely Beautiful...
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2011
3:45 AM

Post #8470492

Thanks all for the info. Jenny, thanks for the linc to John scheepers- hopefully he has a catalog- only have my phone to web search, we downsized to the droid phone, love it but hard to get full effect of a catalog.
Rednyr- Columbia flower show! Where? April 16th? Road trip yea!!! Hubby won't balk at that.
Alice, fall bulb sale- at the botanical gardens? We know where the zoo is, have taken our grands there. Do they have a catalog?
I have smart squirrels - all my yard is wood fenced but the side yard where the dogs (2 shepherds) are allowed has a wrought iron fence 3' out from the wood so they don't run over my shrubs. The squirrels sit on the wood fence and taunt them daily- they know they can't be reached. I tried Xeranthemum's trick with the evergreen top soil-- does work but must be refreshed regularly.
Again, thanks for all the input from everyone. Susan
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
4:02 AM

Post #8470513

Susan - here is a link that shows both shows :)

http://agriculture.sc.gov/content.aspx?ContentID=736
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8470634

Traditionally the Florence show has been the best in the state but with the brand new state Farmer's Market in Columbia I am betting they will pull out all the stops for their first flower festival.

Don't forget Plantasia, the Charleston Horticultural Society's spring plant sale. They are opening on Friday, April 29th at 11a.m. this year. I'll be with the noisy group that is first in line. LOL

cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2011
12:26 PM

Post #8471487

I'll look for you
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
12:41 PM

Post #8471513

LOL! :)
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 4, 2011
2:56 PM

Post #8471844

This is the Tulipa clusiana that I planted in the lawn. They're really cute closed. When open they're just a simple yellow flower.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8473126

those are adorable!!! weren't you going to plant those dark purple, nearly black tulips last fall in containers? or was that Johnnette...can't remember now lol
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
7:06 AM

Post #8473279

rednyr- good memory! No, that was me. I forget them in the fridge and only recently planted them. They're just getting ready to bloom. :)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 5, 2011
7:08 AM

Post #8473290

ohh can't wait to see pics of them!!!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2011
7:33 AM

Post #8473357

So glad I am not the only one with bulbs still in the fridge. :-)
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2011
2:57 AM

Post #8475304

This is off the tulip thread but had to show this plant. I volunteer for the historic society and saw this in the churchyard of the Unitarian church. Until yesterday never could find anyone who knew what is was- its a scilla peruviana. It is a gorgeous purple & the flower head is about 4" wide. FYI for you purple lovers.

Thumbnail by cornish2175

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2011
5:18 AM

Post #8475423

Just beautiful! I have never seen one so full.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2011
10:38 AM

Post #8478426

I am a purple people eater as my gram used to say! awesome pic!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America