Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: Yucca's and flower's?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 6, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jeepgirl08
Harrah, OK

April 2, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8466755

Hello I am new here and was wanting to know if anyone could give me some advice. I already have a flower bed area that only has two yucca plants in it and one of them has been there for about 9 years now. I am wanting to know is it ok to add different flowers in the same bed? I bought this box of flower seeds with all different mix that need to be in sun and I wanted to put them in there but I didn't know if I have to water the flowers alot would that kill my yucca plants?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8467870

Make sure the flowers you plant in that bed have the same water requirements as the yuccas. Sedum and Sempervivum are 2 that come to mind
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

April 3, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8469120

I have Yucca's growing here in UK, they really are not too particular where they grow, I have all different types of plants growing beside my Yucca's and there is nothing that will kill them off with the exception of lots of snow gathered in the center of the leaf crown, very cold icy weather and thats about it.

I grow bulbs, bedding plants and all sorts of stuff and use the yucca's as structure for the beds.
Hope this helps you out. WeeNel.
jeepgirl08
Harrah, OK

April 4, 2011
7:52 AM

Post #8470909

flowAjen wrote:Make sure the flowers you plant in that bed have the same water requirements as the yuccas. Sedum and Sempervivum are 2 that come to mind

Ok thank you for your advice!
jeepgirl08
Harrah, OK

April 4, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8470912

WeeNel wrote:I have Yucca's growing here in UK, they really are not too particular where they grow, I have all different types of plants growing beside my Yucca's and there is nothing that will kill them off with the exception of lots of snow gathered in the center of the leaf crown, very cold icy weather and thats about it.

I grow bulbs, bedding plants and all sorts of stuff and use the yucca's as structure for the beds.
Hope this helps you out. WeeNel.

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it! :)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8487521

If you have decent drainage the yuccas survive here in the Houston area in wet conditions, both the candlestick, and red yuccas, even the century plants thrive with our conditions,
Lilyofthenight
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2011
1:16 PM

Post #8546046

I had yucca's in Crystal Beach, Tx. before Hurricane Ike destroyed the peninsula, They thrived without my care, all mother nature. They put on a huge display each spring. I finally had to cut them way back. However, I had a small veggie garden growing quite near them all fared very well except my tomatoes that the hookworms would not leave alone.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America