Yard Sale Find

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Yard sale find today has me just a bit excited. Got 6 hanging lights for $10. They are long and heavy. Have already taken them apart and 3 of them will become Solar lights.
Now, what to do with the pretty brass leftover pieces. They fit on top of some large vases that I have but don't know exactly how I will use them in the gardens yet. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Taken apart!

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Webster, WI

Ooooohhhh...... the glass will be beatiful as solar lights! Gotta think about the brass parts....

Crossville, TN

Put the brass ones on top of a bowling ball you have decorated for the yard. OR....send them to Jo and she will>>>LOL Jo

Phoenix, AZ

SCORE!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Sure DID!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Or to me.... Just send Jo chocolate and she won't mind.

Southern California, CA

3 pieces on a mantle or table would be nice. It might look a little like this:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/29865269/vintage-brass-owl-family

or

Combine with a deep blue glass vase (or other color) as a decorative top as here:
http://d-vers.com/louis-xvi-3-piece-garniture-gilded-ormolu-french-19th-century-p-734.html

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Nice score! How about hanging the bigger brass end pointy side down? Take the 'light' guts out. Find some chain in a similar color and attach it to three different points on the wide 'mouth' of the light. You could either line them with sphagnum moss and plant them or you could put a gazing ball in them.

The smaller brass bottom part could be mounted on top of a painted dowel and stuck in the ground. Or take to of the small finials and stick them on either end of a painted dowel. Then using chain or macrame cord or some other pretty/interesting rope attach it a few inches away from the ends (so it looks like a swing) and attach it to the ceiling of your porch. You could then hang a few pots from that. Might be cool.

Both ends could be used to hold votive candles too if you hung them.

HTH and have fun!! ^_^

Heather

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3a)

Great finds!

Lacey, WA

Wonderful find!

My German Shepherd sometimes wanders through my strawberry plants. The area isn't very big and might need maybe 6 or 8 upright fence posts. Recently, a dollar store in town went out of business and I found these adorable fat bird figurines for just 25 cents there. They look sort of old-fashioned...like old whitewash that has been weathered. I plan to put a bird on the top of each of my fence posts.

That made me think that perhaps you, too, might have a small area to fence off, and you could use the large metal pieces on top of each of the fence posts. They seem large enough to make a "statement" as fence toppers.

Hubby dug 4 fence posts into the ground for me last year, and we stapled chicken wire to it. I plant tomatoes there and tie them to the chicken wire as they grow. It might be interesting to put "crowns" on the top of the posts like the ones hubby put in for me. If only I could remember a sign I saw last year...something about tomatoes being the "queen of the garden". It was such a cute saying...and would make the crowns make sense, but darn it, I just can't remember it! Maybe somebody else has seen that quote, remembers it, and will post it.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Gosh, goodness gracious , you guys are good. So many ideas and I want to try them all. Thank you so much. They are large enough to be toppers on a fence post, but I have the entire back yard fenced in and 6 toppers wouldn't work. My mantle is already "done". (Clock & candles) Thanks for the links, enjoyed looking. I have the answer!!!! You guys just hop the first bus or whatever and we will do this together...seriously, you have no idea how much I would love meeting you.
You wouldn't believe how heavy this glass is. Bet it will sparkle after I clean it.
Faye

Houston, TX

Hi Faye,

Great find! What if you took the brass toppers and used them as a topper for hanging plants. All you'd need is some chain, some carabiner's or strong S hooks and some sort of potted plant and you can have a very fancy hanging planter. You can paint the chain brass or just paint everything one color if you want to make it look lighter.

Lisa in Houston

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

you could take the wiring out of the middle of them, invert them and add chain, use battery operated candles or mosaic candle votives and hang from shepherds hooks in the garden beds.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Love all the ideas....all the chain that was used to hang 2 lights together was still attached to the lights. I have taken the chain and the wiring out, but still have all parts. Even the hooks that they hung from were with the set.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice! I love how creative everyone is in this forum! Please post pics after you do whatever you decide to do with them!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Will do!
Faye

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

What I did with Dear Honey's help. The 5 arm solar light fixture is also a light fixture that I did last Summer.

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Closer view

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

dahtzu! that looks fantastic! Great job!!!!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

I love all hanging light fixtures and have been redoing them for about 3 yrs. This one I only had to take it apart and get rid of the wiring. Made a super Birdbath.

Thumbnail by dahtzu
Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you Cue. I love playing with lights.

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

I wonder if you could put clumps of Christmas lights in each of those glass globe thingys? Or if you could find any of the kinds of solar lights like I have (in the pic) that you could stick in them. I have a few that the globes are broken. If you were handy you could rig them up inside your glass fixtures. Not only do mine glow with white light, they can be switched to colored so they change from green to blue to red. That would look real cool through your glass fixtures cuz it would cast a pattern on whatever it's near.

Have fun whatever you do! ^_^

Heather

Thumbnail by gr8cayte
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Super Dahtzu!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

What wonderful outdoor lights you have made of those!

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone. As for adding Christmas lights inside of the globes, it would be to far from an electrical outlet.
They are now made into Solar lights.

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

Check out these options

http://tinyurl.com/3zbwmue

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

cute. Thanks for the link. I have no big trees, but like the idea.

Southern California, CA

One of the tops might be a cute "silverware wind chime" (see link) or the top of some other type of wind chime: http://thelinncountyfair.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/recylced-garden-art-silverware-wind-chime/

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

J2222, love it. thanks for the link. I'm going to do the Silverware windchime.
Love it, love it, love it!
Faye

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

I found some old silverware with really cool scrollie patterns on them at Salvation Army for 25 cents each. Now I know what I'm going to do with them! Thanks for the idea!

Heather

Southern California, CA(Zone 10b)

what is the best way to flatten silverware?

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

I saw a video the other day where they placed a spoon in between the folds of a towel and pounded it with a hammer. The spoon was a little rippled but mostly flat. They said just keep hammering it til you get most of the bumps out. HTH

Heather

Thousand Oaks, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi all:
I used to oil paint in the bowl part of sterling silver teaspoons. I drilled a small hole at the top of the spoon handle for hanging. Drilling the hole was not the easiest thing I'd ever done, you do need a special drill bit for metal. I learned to drill the hold first, before painting as some times I slid and the hole was off center. Stainless steel is easier to drill into, but not as pretty when cleaned and sparkling in the sun. Also, using a vice to hold the spoon/fork/knife is highly recommended. . Keep your hands away from the drill bit, it may slip..

For flattening the silverware, I'd cover the piece with a towel and smash it with a hammer. Probably one of those rubber mallets would be good. You could place some pieces side by side, cover with a towel, and then place a piece of 2x4 over the towel and bang away. Or you could line up a bunch in the street and have your Harley riding son drive over them to flatten them. Or you ride over them on the Harley... might as well have some fun!

Enjoy,
Sue

Southern California, CA(Zone 10b)

thanks heather,

want to use that for as a hanger for back of ceramic plate.

have any suggestions what adhesive to use that works for attaching metal to glass/ceramic?

Round Rock, TX(Zone 8b)

keepingactive one way you can keep the drill bit from slipping is to take a nail with a sharp point, place the point where you want the hole, then give it a sharp rap with your hammer. That will create pilot hole of sorts for the bit to sit in when you start drilling.

I do like your Harley solution for flattening spoons. I've always thought I'd try driving my suburban over something that need flattening but I'm afraid I'd puncture a tire knowing my luck. ^_^

flowblue I'd use E6000. You could glue a truck to the ceiling with that stuff. You can get it at most craft or DIY hardware stores.

Good luck everyone! ^_^

Heather

(Pegi) Norwalk, CA(Zone 10b)

You can get E-6000 at Wal-Mart too at $2.67 a tube, well last time I looked. It seems everyone is using that glue, it really is good. Have to keep mine hidden from DH or won't have any left when I want to use it.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

For drilling little holes I always use a small piece of masking tape over the hole area as it helps keep the bit from wandering and I start the hole with the drill in reverse to make the dent that will hold the bit tighter.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

Thank you all so much for the ideas and how to complete the project. Will start with the wind chime as soon as I can find the silverware.
Have a blessed day.
Faye

Topsham, ME(Zone 5a)

You find such great stuff!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.