Favorite Tulip Pairings

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

As the tulips start to bloom (finally!), let's post pics of our favorite tulip pairings. I want to see your tulips, and how you have incorporated them into your landscape! I'm waiting eagerly for some red tulips to bloom paired with my purple muscari. My attached photo is from last year---tulips I grew in a raised bed for the purpose of cutting. These have not yet bloomed for me this year, and of course, sadly, appear to be coming up with much less vigor than last year since they are on season 2.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

These are from last year. I like to mix them up!!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Mine aren't up, but I've planted tulips Queen of the Night and Daydream.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have no way to do pictures right now, but I have Queen of the Night planted with Yellow Cheerfulness daffodils, which are a pale yellow. Queen was my son's choice about 6 years ago when I made my very first bulb order. They are kind of petering out now, getting smaller every year, so I'll need to replant to keep my combo going.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

That's too bad about the Queen of the Night, Holly. They're coming up strong for me right now (the first year), so I thought they might be stronger. But if they look like I think they will, then they'll be worth supplementing.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Beahive---love it! I can totally envision your garden style with your pic! Cottage gardening----which is perfect in Silverton (one of my favorite towns by the way----tried to get my husband to move there when we came down from Portland a few years ago, but he wasn't willing to do the commute to Salem. I desperately wanted that old peach Victorian on acreage out by the Oregon garden that was for sale. I loved that house so much, and I still think about it. My favorite store for antiquing/vintaging is The Red Bench).

Katie and Maury---please post pics when they are ready! Sounds wonderful.

Seattle, WA

Must have been a melding of the mind during bulb ordering last year :) I'm anxiously awaiting my first year combo of Queen of the Night, Spring Green, and Angelique ( a double pale pink). And I enjoyed my first year of Daydream last year with blue forget-me-not's at its feet.

Right now I've got a lot of tulips budding out, but the only ones fully open are the Gavota Triumph tulip and Tarda - so just the little guys so far.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

kosk Thanks so much. I do have a cottege style garden and the house is on the market if you want to think about moving to Silverton. All ya need to do is unpack and enjoy the garden & koi pond!! It is a newer home, no victorian...but I do have a cottage style shed.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The pond & a gazebo I purchased from The red bench is now covered with wisteria.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

WOW! Beahive! Looks beautiful! Why are you moving? Won't you miss your garden and koi?

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Golden Ducat daffodil with Rob Verlinden tulip in a cutting garden. Pic taken today. Year two of growth, so kind of scraggly. I will be digging out my bulb cutting beds this year, and starting fresh in the fall. When you need them for bouquets, you can't have them scraggly. I buy those huge bags of tulips at Costco for my cutting beds. Superb quality and cheap. But I think my raised beds got a little bit too soggy this winter, so the bulbs haven't come back as nicely.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Need to get my youngest daughter thru 2 more years of college & maybe help with grad school after that without her having to take out student loans. I also want to down size to smaller house (hate housework) and find a bit more land. I will miss my garden & pond very much..but ya got to do what it takes to get your children raised. Losing a ton of $$ on this deal. Great deal & a three season garden for whom ever buys this place.
The market is aweful!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

That is so kind of you to make that kind of sacrifice for your daughter. I confess though, that I never got a penny from my parents for school---paid for 4 years of college and then 4 years of medical school by myself. Still paying the loans. But I made it, and I'm proud that I put myself through school alone. However, providing an education, debt free, is truly the most generous gift a parent can give. We will be providing 4-5 years of college for each of our sons so they don't have to struggle as I did. However, grad school---they are on their own with that. My dad still tells people that the reason he didn't have to pay for my college is that I had the entire thing paid with scholarships----ha ha, not true. If only he knew (as he should have).

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Beahive, what a beautiful place to give up...but always a new garden down the road. I've been in the same spot for over 30 years and sometimes wonder how it would be to start fresh and not have all my past mistakes staring me in the face. Not happening anytime soon, but still a niggling thought.

Kosk, things have definitely changed re college financing. When my kids were graduatiing from high school (turn of the century), I was appalled to find that parents are now "expected" to put their kids through -- when I was in college, my folks gave me a very small stipend to help out with living expenses, but otherwise I was on my own. Of course, tuition was about $300 a year or something crazy, so there's that.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Just read an article in the Seattle Times bemoaning the trend of state colleges accepting more out of state students than in state because of the increased tuition fees they get from the out of state kids. What a sad situation.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Colleges are very crazy these days. My Daughter applied to transfer from a private college in PA to OSU recently. They did not accept her Algebra 101(standard freshman algebra) and told her she needs two semesters of languages to transfer in. It is rediculous! Her major does not require languages!! She will moveback home in May and have to attend junior college to get these classes taken, then reapply. With the expense of college and the tough ecomomy why are they putting kids & parents through all this extra nonsense. Bonehead...maybe that article is correct, to save a spot for an out of state student. :(

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

It is very sad. I remember being flabbergasted that my med school tuition was $17,000 a year (U of Minnesota, in state, 1996-2000). Now that seems like a major bargain. I think most in state public med schools are now around 30-40K per year. With that kind of debt, nobody wants to do primary care anymore for fear that they will never be able to even own a home for so many years. I owe only $258 a month for the next 23 years. (Loans were consolidated into a 30 year loan at only 2.25% interest.) The laws were changed recently for the benefit of the government: that government loans can no longer be consolidated by private banks. This was shocking and sad to me---it means that modern students are stuck with the loan rates that the government gives them, which run around 7-10% I've heard. It is a punishing load to push on students, considering the sky-rocketing costs of education. I was so grateful that my husband and I were able to consolidate ours in time. (He owes similar). This change was passed without any pushback from anyone. Our country's policies are entirely geared towards those who vote---older people. Students are having the rug pulled from right under their noses, and they don't even know it.

Okay-----BACK TO TULIP TALK! lol

Lake Stevens, WA

The tulips are beautiful. Mine are up and about to bloom. Just need a few sunny days. I to us the Costco bulbs. Have had really good luck with them. You must buy early before they sit in the warehouse to long. My hyacinths are up,love the smell. I have found with those you need to plant every year to get a good show. What have any of you found?

I heard that very same thing. What a shame our tax dollars not supporting our kids. I have 2 kids in college and you can feel the pinch. One is at western as a freshman and has a hard time getting into the basic classes that are perrequisits. He will take some classes this summer at Everett CC which will (I hope) help next year at Western.
I have other thoughts but to political or this site. Just thought Education was a priority with the goverment?

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

My oldest son at the Woodburn tulip farm last year.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Middle son at the same place.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

And last but not least, my littlest son and me. Same place.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Lake Stevens, WA

Kosk,
Your guys are so cute. Miss those days.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful son's you have Kosk. Things are looking a bit brighter at wooden shoes. Must get over there soon. Love that place when in full bloom.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Cute bunch of towheads! Our tulip fields in the Skagit Flats are reportedly under water. Not sure what that will do to the crop. Or the Tulip Festival itself. When we first moved here (31 years ago), a drive through the tulips fields was a pleasant afternoon diversion - it is now a traffic crawl zoo. Still gorgeous though. I don't bother with tulips in my own yard, I just enjoy the fields and plant a lot of daffs.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Seattle, WA

I finally have tulips blooming! This white to red spectrum bloom arrangement surprised me, cause I don't remember planting it. But I did dredge up a vague memory of moving a few tulips around at the end of last spring because they were in the wrong spot color-wise. I guess this was the outcome.

It's an okay combo, but I mostly like the grasses and sweet cicely together with the tulips (which are as far as I can remember: white emperor, yellow appledoon, van eyck (apricot color), and some reddish one :)

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Pretty!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Beautiful, Kymmco! Here's some of the Rob Verlindens this morning from a cutting garden. I like simple displays.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Today's bouquet

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Red tulips in the landscape, paired with golden colored euonymus. Also blooming are Aubrieta 'Dr. Mules' and Creeping phlox 'Scarlet Flame'.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

More red tulips in the landscape. Paired with muscari, my favorite bulb of all.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Yesterday's bouquet. Tulipa 'Foxtrot'. Can you tell I love tulips?

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Seattle, WA

Oooh, Foxtrot is purty. I like your hillside photo, and am also following with interest your hillside landscaping conversation on the landscape roses thread. I have a bank landscaping project going on as well (not as large an area) and am getting some good ideas!

The sun came out for a bit yesterday so I snapped some pictures. Here is Gavota in the foreground with Daydream and narcissus in the back.

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Seattle, WA

At the feet of the tulips in the previous pic the tiny 'Little Princess' are blooming. I love the color combinations contained in this one little 4" high tulip alone!

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Seattle, WA

I also have Daydream tulips in a different section of the garden paired with blue and white. Don't make me choose a favorite!

Thumbnail by Kymmco
Seattle, WA

Okay, last one for today - Tulipa tarda almost hidden in multi-colored foliage. They are at the lower right with daffodil canniculatus in front, bleeding heart and heucheras behind, and Clematis alpina 'Willy' climbing up the wall.

Thumbnail by Kymmco
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Kym, your combinations are always spectacular!

Seattle, WA

Thanks Sharon, of course I only take pictures of the ones that work :) I think bulb combinations are fun because there is nothing else to do in January but pore over the catalogs and dream them up.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Love that last picture. I have had Tulip tarda for years and they still keep coming back.

Seattle, WA

Thanks Willow - I remember your patch of Tulipa tarda from our greenhouse celebration at your place. Seeing them there was what made me want some of my own!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I love the orange, blue, and white! Are those myositis (forget me nots) with iberis (candytuft)? great combo!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.