Where are the Flowers on my Daffodils?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I have very few in my plantings. They aren't really crowded, either, and I see other clumps of daffodils elsewhere that are much fuller, and they are blooming up a storm. Even clumps on neglected vacant properties often look better than mine. I am wondering whether there are different types of daffodils - some that bloom better even when they have multiplied and some that don't like neighbors. We have had these bulbs for ages and some years they do well and in other years the bloom is very sparse, like this season. I think this is the worst year so far. I have very few for cut flowers.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

My daffodils in my cutting bed are terrible, too this year (year 2). Barely any blooms. I dug up one that was not blooming, and found that the center of the bulb hadn't re-formed very well, with layers of soil in it. Not quite rotting, but not right at all. My raised beds are 2 feet high, built in stone, so I think they get way, way, way too soggy in the winter. I've concluded that bulbs only have 1 year of good bloom time in my cutting beds due to the soggy conditions. My tulips look pretty bad, too! Heartbreaking.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

My plants look healthy and our soil is very sandy, so they shouldn't be rotting. I just wondered whether there were some varieties that tolerated naturalizing better, while still continuing to bloom. These have been there for years and we do sometimes divide them. But I was hoping for more daffodils for the house this spring!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images