Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

New brooder

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

We made this yesterday so we could move our chicks from their Sterilite tote brooders out to the porch. The weather here is still too cold to have them right outside. The porch will be perfect though.

Thumbnail by gallesfarm
Richmond, TX

Looks roomy and efficient - lucky chicks!

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

Lucky chicks and lucky us! I have my laundry area/entryway back! And the house doesn't have that "chicken-y" smell anymore. :-) But yes, it was mainly for their benefit.

It's very modular. Four panels that are 4 feet by 18 inches for the sides. Two panels that are 4 feet by 26 inches for the top. The sides are clamped together, there is a blue tarp on the floor underneath, and the sides are lined on the inside of the brooder with vinyl flooring remnant held in place with good ole' duct tape. When we're done we'll just roll up the vinyl, unclamp the panels, and store it.

At night I move the two heat lamps next to each other in one corner, and cover the rest of the top with a couple blankets and an afghan to hold in the warmth. So far they seem quite happy.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

I just love your new brooder. ^_^ Your chickies will love it.

My little chirps and Ms Pretty have been lovin theirs since March 23rd. These units are really quite functional and easy to make too.

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden
Richmond, TX

Texas your brooder looks like a very efficient design with a minimum of materials. How did you construct the bottom corners?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

What porkpal said, please? I have such trouble keeping sides/corners together. I end up with so much wood that my structures will be where I go in case of tornado. They ain't goin' nowhere...

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Quote from porkpal :
Texas your brooder looks like a very efficient design with a minimum of materials. How did you construct the bottom corners?

All corners are the same just like on the top panels you see in the picture. gallesfarm clamps her panels together to form the pen and I use two screws.

Richmond, TX

Okay, great, I see how that would work! Like Catmad my constructions keep needing another board here or a brace there. I admire the simplicity and economy of your design.

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

Quote from texasrockgarden :
I just love your new brooder. ^_^

I love yours too! Looks so familiar! ;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.