-
AuthorContent
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

April 3, 2011
3:57 PM

Post #8469554

We made this yesterday so we could move our chicks from their Sterilite tote brooders out to the porch. The weather here is still too cold to have them right outside. The porch will be perfect though.

Thumbnail by gallesfarm
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 3, 2011
4:41 PM

Post #8469640

Looks roomy and efficient - lucky chicks!
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

April 3, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8469877

Lucky chicks and lucky us! I have my laundry area/entryway back! And the house doesn't have that "chicken-y" smell anymore. :-) But yes, it was mainly for their benefit.

It's very modular. Four panels that are 4 feet by 18 inches for the sides. Two panels that are 4 feet by 26 inches for the top. The sides are clamped together, there is a blue tarp on the floor underneath, and the sides are lined on the inside of the brooder with vinyl flooring remnant held in place with good ole' duct tape. When we're done we'll just roll up the vinyl, unclamp the panels, and store it.

At night I move the two heat lamps next to each other in one corner, and cover the rest of the top with a couple blankets and an afghan to hold in the warmth. So far they seem quite happy.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8473299

I just love your new brooder. :-) Your chickies will love it.

My little chirps and Ms Pretty have been lovin theirs since March 23rd. These units are really quite functional and easy to make too.

Thumbnail by texasrockgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 5, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8473544

Texas your brooder looks like a very efficient design with a minimum of materials. How did you construct the bottom corners?
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
9:09 AM

Post #8473609

What porkpal said, please? I have such trouble keeping sides/corners together. I end up with so much wood that my structures will be where I go in case of tornado. They ain't goin' nowhere...
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
10:06 AM

Post #8473677

porkpal wrote:Texas your brooder looks like a very efficient design with a minimum of materials. How did you construct the bottom corners?

All corners are the same just like on the top panels you see in the picture. gallesfarm clamps her panels together to form the pen and I use two screws.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 5, 2011
11:51 AM

Post #8473855

Okay, great, I see how that would work! Like Catmad my constructions keep needing another board here or a brace there. I admire the simplicity and economy of your design.
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

April 5, 2011
6:10 PM

Post #8474736

texasrockgarden wrote:I just love your new brooder. :-)

I love yours too! Looks so familiar! ;-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America