Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carolina Gardening: Epimediums

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 27, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2011
6:39 PM

Post #8469934

Anyone grow these? Is there a secret? I've had a couple for several years. Foliage shows up the the spring... and that's about it. I see several garden catalogs rave about them, but they do nothing in my yard. They're in with the hosta (which do really well in my yard.)

Jenny
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
12:40 PM

Post #8471508

I can honestly say I have no horny goat weed in my yard {{said with the slightest hint of a giggle}}
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 12, 2011
2:15 PM

Post #8490817

I can honestly say I went and bought one today just to give it a whirl LOL...bought Orange Queen...
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

April 13, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8494006

I've tried numerous times to grow these things over the years, bordersandjacks, with no luck. Last year, I put a couple of them that I'd been carefully "nursing" for years out in the woods with NO TLC. No drip, no fertilizer, no attention, no nothing. Just left them there to die. But they didn't die...they bloomed for the first time. And were GORGEOUS! I think this is a perverse genus that loves abuse...
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2011
7:50 PM

Post #8494096

Stono, I've heard that epimediums bloom, but I thought it was just an urban legend. Bah! Stupid things. Grumble, grumble. Are you going to be at Plantasia?
StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

April 13, 2011
8:21 PM

Post #8494157

B&J...Do I have any choice? Of course I'll be there! But for the first time ever, I'll be where I want to be...in "Members Favorites", instead of "under the tent" posing as a plant expert... Please look for me and introduce yourself! It's how I finally met Ardesia...
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
3:08 AM

Post #8494408

Stono- I have just joined CHS at the urging from 2 lovely gals I know from the Charleston Historic Society. I garden rodent for them every year. If I hadn't seen postings from you I would never have known about it. It was suggested that I be a" go where I'm needed person" to get to know things this year. Paid my membership last week but have heard nothing from them- guess I'll have to call today. Send me your name so I know who to look for. Susan
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
3:15 AM

Post #8494413

That's docent not rodent- I just love how my Droid phone changes the words I type. I must get in the habit of proof reading what I type.
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8495588

I like 'garden rodent.' :)

Stono, I'll be with Alice, so easy to find. We'll track you down.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 14, 2011
3:16 PM

Post #8495799

Any good "members favorites" we should be looking for? As I said in another thread, we'll be the noisy group at the front of the line.

edited to add, the epimediums I planted last fall did not make it, I yanked them out yesterday. If I try them again they will be planted in the early spring. It just got so cold so quickly last year.

This message was edited Apr 14, 2011 6:18 PM
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 16, 2011
7:20 PM

Post #8500830

Mine are all in bloom -- I thought all yellow but there is a white in there. I will take a photo tomorrow. Planted in a corner of the house under a small japanese maple... shady and wetter than the rest of the planting area. North east facing.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 17, 2011
4:10 AM

Post #8501228

I have now been "upgraded" to helping people select plants at plantasia. Please look for me. I would love to meet all of you. I'll be the one trying to look like I know what I'm doing. See you there. Susan
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2011
4:53 AM

Post #8501277

LOL...you'll do just fine Susan!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 17, 2011
4:55 AM

Post #8501278

Will do, the Beaufort group is all excited about being there. We have several working that day also. See you on the 29th. alice
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 17, 2011
6:15 PM

Post #8502819

here's the photo -- I could have done better but got a tad skittish with creeping about in the yard. After this photo, I will show you why. The first photo is the bed that we just now started. The corner with the japanese maple and the epimediums was there originally before we widened the bed.

the second photo is a close up.. one plant has a white bloom -- I thought I planted all the same.

The third is the reason for my hesitation for going into the garden today. My hand was right where this fella was --only 20 minutes before. He slithered out from a gutter.

I hope I can get these photos loaded. DG is very slow to load tonight.

This message was edited Apr 17, 2011 9:20 PM

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Click the image for an enlarged view.

StonoRiver
Johns Island, SC

April 17, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8502820

LMAO! "Garden Rodent"...I love it! Just finished being a rodent for the HCF last week, but this time I lucked out. Had a beautiful garden on Gibbes St. Really well done, and NOT designed by Loutrelle Briggs...homeowners did most of it themselves. It was the best one I've done down there! They used every square inch available to maximize the setting, and did an incredible job. Just a magnicent garden that reflects and enhances the beauty of the house (which, of course, was mind-boggling). That connection between HCF/ CHS seems to work fairly well...CHS has the rodents available when needed by the HCF, and friends can't say "no" to friends. HCF doesn't really "approve" of me though...(I refuse to wear a tie in a garden). And I'll only wear a sports jacket until it gets uncomfortable, then it's coming off (fortunately, that rarely happens!). It's been fun.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 17, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8502826

2nd.

missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 17, 2011
6:19 PM

Post #8502832

last

cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2011
4:14 PM

Post #8504630

Missingrosie- looks like a big ole black snake. Used to get huge ones where we lived before- they really won't hurt you. Here in Charleston just get garden snakes.
Stono- know what you mean about Loutrell Brigg- his gardens all look the same. Sorry you have to wear a tie and jacket. I dress nice and wear a hat but at least I can dress cool. Considering how many people don't show I'd think they'd be happy however you are dressed.
Susan
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8504728

I love the dress code for the Plantasia Fete - "Garden Garb/Compost Casual"
My kind of clothes, too bad I live so far away...
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8504846

I was on my way to the chicken coop last night and I was dumb enough to think, "Huh, haven't seen any snakes yet this year." Yes, I know, I asked for it. Apparently our pump house has gone condo. Sigh.

Thumbnail by bordersandjacks

rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2011
7:02 PM

Post #8505078

hey it did that last year...we need to rent you a fox or something for a week...or what is it that eats snakes :)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 18, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8505081

BTW do NOT look in the pond right now...I believe you had another visitor there last year too shortly after the snakes in the well house :)
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 18, 2011
7:44 PM

Post #8505274

What kind of snake is that?

No fear about getting stuck on one of those nails either!
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 18, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8505346

Rednyr- do not remind me! We lived her for 7 years alligator free, then last year two alligators within one week in June. I work for the local school district and last week I got calls from 15% of the schools regarding alligators on campus!

Missingrosie- they're yellow rat snakes, also known as chicken snakes. They LOVE to eat the eggs.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2011
3:01 AM

Post #8505686

They don't eat the chickens? Only snake I've ever killed was a huge black snake that got into my youngest sons coop. I know they have to eat but figured if it got in once it would be back with all its friends for a picnic.
bordersandjacks
Seabrook, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2011
3:54 AM

Post #8505738

Oh, they'd try and eat the chickens, but they're a tad too big. Mostly they thieve the eggs.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 19, 2011
11:06 AM

Post #8506604

So not interested in eating 'italian' right?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America