Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Chervil - q'est ce que c'est?: it's back!

Communities > Forums > Article: Chervil - q'est ce que c'est?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Chervil - q'est ce que c'est?Replies: 2, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bungo
Glasgow
United Kingdom

April 4, 2011
2:50 AM

Post #8470451

Thanks for an informative article about one of our favourite herbs.

I bought a 9cm pot of chervil two years ago and planted it in a corner of my herb garden. It didn't do much - flowered, went to seed, leaves turned bronze and the whole thing died off before there was enough to contribute anything meaningful to fines herbes.

I was pleasantly surprised last year to find it re-emerging to cover a somewhat larger area. It was delicious but alas, gone too soon. So hurrah, it's back again and there's even more this year but it's still this wonderully delicate plant that is such a bonus coming so early in our season here in Scotland. I'm not worried about it's vigorous self-seeding habit overpowering our garden because we simply eat it before it can become a nuisance! Maybe we should try that with dandelions and nettle ...

david3payne
Lubbock, TX

April 4, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8470646

Chervil: not so much q'est ce que c'est? -- What is it? -- but also Where is it?
"O est le cerfeuil? [Ooh-ay leh ser-fuyl]
>
One winter I grew chervil in a south-facing area by the front porch of my home near the Texas Tech campus in central Lubbock.
>
I had used home-grown Italian parsley in Dec/Jan salads. If that was possible, why not chervil for salads or scrambled eggs a la Julia Child?
>
Temperature and short day length posed no problem. For semi-arid west Texas, hand-watering provided the moisture. A location near the mailbox guaranteed daily observation. Chervil provided a small circle of lush green all winter long, compared to Italian parsley which retreats to a crown of sprigs-for-salad.
>
Home-grown chervil could become a salad ingredient for festive dinners from Thanksgiving time until early April, perhaps last appearing as one of the bitter herbs for a Passover Seder.
>
2011 was not a year for April-chervil. The full moon on April 24 meant weather too warm for chervil. The next five years, 2012 through 2017, will have that full moon very near the equinox: opportunity for another success with home-grown chervil.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2011
6:46 AM

Post #8470783

Thank you both for your 'user reports' on Chervil! I'm just now seeing the threadlike seed leaves as mine emerges from seed.
I may not have stressed enough in the article that Chervil likes moisture. David, it sounds like really good watering seemed important with your chervil. How nice that you've found a reliable winter leafy herb for your site, and have reported so other southern gardeners can learn.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Chervil - q'est ce que c'est? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
c'est bon gwen21 20 Apr 8, 2011 1:44 PM
Growing Chervil ARWadoo 3 Apr 6, 2011 6:00 AM
One of my favorite garden herbs... Careywood360 1 Apr 4, 2011 1:54 PM
Wonderful idea tylertoo 1 May 7, 2011 9:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America