Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Spring To-do Lists: Alternative plans

Communities > Forums > Article: Spring To-do Lists
bookmark
Forum: Article: Spring To-do ListsReplies: 0, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

April 4, 2011
4:25 AM

Post #8470548

I like your planning focus on garden goals and think it works very well for those who are in the early stages of building their gardens when research and planning are crucial.
However, I have nearly achieved my main goals in my garden, so most of what I do now is maintenance and puttering. The exception is plant removal or replacement, which doesn't occur very much as my original plant choices have worked out very well.

My approach these days is to use a seasonal calendar.

Because I do not want to be doing much of anything during the hottest part of the summer, and I want the garden to be interesting but not cost too much to maintain, I've chosen natives, near natives, xeric and near xeric plants with only a few notable exceptions such as a hydrangea, some roses, and a few clematis.

My calendar lists general times for pruning, deadheading, fertilizing, and watering various plants. The system for watering changes somewhat during the year, esp. if we are forced to ration water, but it seems to be working well.

It is easy, if one is goal oriented, to become so focused on planning and execution that one forgets to appreciate the purpose of all the work. As I age, I find I am enjoying the results of earlier planning and execution much more than I am the planning or execution itself.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Spring To-do Lists Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I have a lot of landscape brick KristinDC 2 Apr 16, 2012 5:36 AM
Planning steadycam3 4 Apr 6, 2011 2:50 PM
changing sloping grass area to plants meflotoo 2 Apr 16, 2012 10:09 AM
Have a healthy, algae-less pond? keferraro 0 Apr 16, 2012 7:50 AM
Changing sloping grass area to plants cowboydj 0 Apr 16, 2012 10:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America