Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Rhodies Keep Dying

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 4, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
5thstgardener
Douglas, AK
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2011
10:21 AM

Post #8471252

Hello- For 12 years I have tried to establish a wall of rhodies between our property and the neighbors. There are 5 roseum's in a line and a couple further up in the woods. Behind the line of 5 are a couple elderberry trees (Sambucus). The 2 lower on the hill are fine- big, healthy, the 3 that are higher up and directly in front of the elders die off every 2 or 3 years. Has anyone else ever heard of elders not playing nice with other plants? The ones up in the woods are fine as well. . .
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8472297

No, but I have read that the elders are quite poisonouos to humans. Their poison can convert to cyanide inside the human body. How is the water & soil drainage up there by the elders? I am not aware of root competition between elders and other plants; and you? Can you call someone at the University of Arkansas's Cooperative Extension Service in Little Rock?
5thstgardener
Douglas, AK
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2011
12:57 PM

Post #8474072

Ha ha, I'm in Alaska. Since it's a fairly steep slope the drainage is fine, it's still a bit wet here though since we're in a rainforest. That was my first thought- too wet but the ground seems consistent throughout the property. The elders are the only difference. I don't like them so perhaps I'll just kill them off and replant with something else. The birds really like the berries so I've left them but they are week wooded and messy. I'll contact our extension agent and see what they think. Thank you!
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8479007

I had no idea that any kind of Rhodies would grow in Alaska...so I wouldn't be able to give any advice.

No Rhodies here in Florida. California has plenty>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2011
7:24 PM

Post #8479546

I looked up Douglas and it is the southeast Alaska, South of the capital Juneau. Nice location for planting rhodies

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America