Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Landscaping: New tabebuia saplings.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 3, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Stantheman55
Orlando, FL

April 4, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8471287

I live in Orlando Fl. My front yard faces south/west full sun, I am replacing a maple tree that came down in a recent bad storm. I wish to plant two Tabebuia trees in the front yard one on each side of the path to the front door. I have two yellow Tabebuia saplings about 5 foot tall started from seed pods in the back yard I wish to use. My first Tab is now 20 something feet tall and spindle and looking not near as full as the more mature trees I see around town. My questions are as follows...(1) what if anything can I do to encourage more growth of branches and more flowering for both the mature tree as well as the two 5 foot saplings. (2) it is now the beginning of April with temps starting to hit 90degrees is it to late to transplant these trees even if I water them good every day? (3) what kind of fertilizer if any should I use, does Miracle Grow make anything that will promote the growth i am looking for? Thank you in advance for any and all help, these trees are so beautiful when they bloom I hope when the neighbors see them in all their glory they will want to put them in their front yards
as well.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 5, 2011
5:22 AM

Post #8473038

Hi Stan. The yellow tabebuia tends to be rather gangly when young. here is some info on Tabebuia chrysotricha Golden Trumpet.

http://plantfinder.sunset.com/sunset/plant-details.jsp;jsessionid=E29749854B7028FD30CCAC570BB68727?id=2827

http://hort.ufl.edu/database/documents/pdf/tree_fact_sheets/tabchra.pdf

It is my understanding that they shed their leaves in April/May and then bloom. You may want to wait if your trees are in pots until after they bloom, then plant them. And Yeah, keeping them well watered will help ensure success. Here is some info on fertilizing.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Trees-739/tabebuia-tree-1.htm

Good luck with your trees.
Stantheman55
Orlando, FL

April 18, 2011
8:01 PM

Post #8505323

Thank you to themoonhowl for pointing me to the three sites, I have a very good understanding of my trees how to plant and care for them, thank you again so very much, much success with your gardening.
Stan K...Orlando Fl.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8505331

You are very welcome Stan. Regards, moon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America