-
AuthorContent
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
10:48 AM

Post #8471306

I just got back form Forest Lake Greenhouse in Florence, where I returned 2 Monrovia Callistemon Citinus (BB) trees. Tag info indicated they were hardy from 10 - 20f, but they're not. I was only allowed a store credit, so I bought some black bamboo, and 3 "Blue Elf" aloes, also marketed by Monrovia. According to the tag info, the aloes are supposed to be cold hardy to Zone 7a. I know that Monrovia streches their zone hardiness, but I thouight they would at least be cold hardy to zone 8a. Just checked the DG plantfile page, and was totally disgusted to learn they're only cold hardy to zone 9a. Monrovia lied again, this time by 2 full zones! So now I have 3 more succulents to overwinter in my crowded backporch next winter. I'm spitting mad, and I will never trust Monrovia again.
I feel a little better now that I've vented. Thanks!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2011
12:30 PM

Post #8471493

Everything I have read about says it is hardy to 8b. Monrovia often gives sunset zones which are different from the USDA zones we use on the east coast. However, I understand Monrovia is growing some plants in GA now.
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
12:32 PM

Post #8471496

Their site says zone 9-11 for that exact plant - I think you should call them and raise cane!! complain what r u supposed to do - drive another two hour round trip just to return??? yell enough maybe you will get some online credit - that's what I'd be demanding at this point with the gas and time it is the least they could do to keep you as a customer!!!

I'd want to know why their site says one thing and their tags another...probably hoping those who purchase in store won't save their receipts and return failures...YOU GO GIRL! call them!
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
12:33 PM

Post #8471499

oops forgot their link:

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/2847/blue-elf-aloe.php
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
2:02 PM

Post #8471705

I called them around 1:30, and was transferred to their NC office. I explained the cold hardiness misinformation on the tag, and told the lady that it didn't jive with their own website info. She was very sympathetic, and assured me someone would call me back. I had to cut my Dad's hair, but when I returned home, nobody had called. It's close to 5 pm, so they're probably having cocktails (Yeah, I'm bitter!). I will call them back tomorrow morning, red. BTW, did your Callistemon rigidus - Clemson hardy BB survive last winter?
Ardesia, I left an aloe (don't know which type) outside last winter, because I was too burnt out to dig it up and move inside. I heavily mulched it with cypress straw, and it still has some life, but it really took a beating. I just don't want anything else in my yard that requires winter protection. I suppose I could do the dirt/composted manure/plastic/pinestraw protection thang this fall. It just isn't what I had in mind when I bought it. I wanted to grow it in a container, but I think it would perish if it weren't inground.

Just got a call from Monrovia - apologies galore, but no offer for any kind of compensation. Was told to heavily protect it yadda yadda yadda. I told her I was a Daves Garden member,and that I was posting my bad experience online. She had never heard of Dave's Garden - shocking!
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8471851

I don't believe her, DG is big in the nursery world. She may have just been a clerk with little knowledge of plants. Sad.

Not sure if this is the same plant but, IMO, Yucca Do has always been reliable. They have a couple of aloes that are hardy to your area.
http://www.yuccado.com/aloe-humilis.html

donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8471897

Thanks, ardesia. Great link.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2011
1:46 PM

Post #8476372

After emailing a pic of the tag info to them at their request, I was contacted today from Monrovia's marketing department. I am going to be reimbursed for my 3 Blue Elf aloe purchases as well as gas. I'm grateful for the gesture, but I can't help but wonder how wide spread this problem is. I hope they can contact all of their clients quickly, so this doesn't happen to others.
cornish2175
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8b)

April 8, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8480011

I also read tags and wonder what zone map they use. I am classified zone 8B, coastal south. I find it isn't the cold I have to worry about as much as heat & humidity (although last 2 winters have been horrible ) I now research everything before purchase. I think it's also the stores fault- they bring in plants that will not survive here- dumb people buy them and then they die. I know Home Depot only gives credit on dead things for a limited time. Saw rhododendrons selling for $30.00 that I know will not survive our heat. It's all in the name of the almighty dollar.
donnacreation
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8481460

I agree completely, cornish. I'm growing rhodendrons, but I'm in a rural zone 8a that gets lots of arctic blasts in the teens with frost so heavy, it looks like snow cover - at least w/o my glasses. I just finished protecting several rhodedendrons from ground voles today - they find them irresistable. I can't believe the big box stores around here are still marketing queen and date palms, which without extensive winter protection, don't stand a chance in this area. If more consumers saved their receipts and returned dead zone9 plants mislabeled as cold hardy in zone 8, I believe this practice would end.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America