Photo by Melody

Soil and Composting: Cocoa shell mulch: critters love it!

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 5, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 4, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8471458

In my endless quest for a fine-textured additive to my containers, I bought a single bag of cocoa shell mulch when I couldn't find pine fines.

The clerk at Ace Hardware remarked that my garden would smell of chocolate now. As if that was a good thing.

On arriving home, I set the bag of cocoa mulch aside to ponder how to use it, as I was reluctant to put it in my flower or vegetable containers.

The next morning, I thought the bag had tipped over in our thunderstorms during the night. But upon close inspection, I found dozens of holes in the bag and its contents spilled out.

Squirrels? Birds? Raccoons? Something loves that chocolate smell!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8472445

very cool goldernberry.. ive never used coco shells.. ive seen them for sale various places..read some on their use..
and seems like a good product used right..
i never thought of looking at ace.. thanks... i'll have to check out if they have them in my area..
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
6:49 AM

Post #8473243

Beware the critters though! Last night we saw a big raccoon digging through the cocoa shells. We had never seen a raccoon on our property before. And this morning, a squirrel was furiously digging in them. Who knew that critters love cocoa? :D

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

April 5, 2011
8:30 AM

Post #8473496

Cocoa is poisonous to dogs.
Goldenberry
Northeast, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8473844

I did not know that, Honeybee. Between that fact and the critter-magnet properties, I wonder why anyone even bothers selling cocoa mulch? This was the first, and last, bag of it I'll ever buy.
Plantmum6
American Canyon, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2011
6:37 PM

Post #8486145

We sell it at the nursery I work at, not only is it a wonderful mulch for your plants but cats do not like it. Many people buy it for that reason alone. I am sorry you had a bad experience with it because it looks good, breaks down nicely and, for some of us, the chocolate smell is heavenly :)

It is also the only mulch, besides bark, readily available here. I wish we had more choices.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America