Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

NEW Christmas /or WINTER theme block swap PART 2

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

New thread... sorry I was slow getting this thread up, I've been out of town.

WE HAVE ALL SIXTEEN!! Whooooooeeeee that was F-A-S-T (I thought I was being optimistic when I opened to 16!)

1 Psychw2 (Pat) Winter theme(or floral) , hunter greens and burgundys/pinks... (or Red/WHITE/Blue ... or Pink & Black!)
2 Qulter5dbsr (Barb) Winter anycolor
3 FluStu (Stuart) Winter or civil War, scrappy... use your stash
4 Bettypauze - (Betty) Christmas
5 Helenethequeen - (Helene )Christmas Traditional colors
6 Taters55 -(Linda) Christmas, Red, Green & Gold.
7 LadybugNH (Gloria) Winter theme with blue and white and any other winter colors.
8 Housse301 (Laura) NO Christmas, scrappy
9 Jumper2 (Lucy ) Either, Christmas or winter
10. Mystery (NO name) AND wants NO blocks... LOL, just wants to sew!
11 BarefootT (Thunder) Christmas/Winter...reds, greens, blues..Lights, ornaments, snowflakes...SNOWMEN!!!
12 Mittsy (Mittsy!) Christmas in traditional colors BLING??
13 Cheriffic (Cher) Christmas in traditional colors.
14. Silioegma - (Karen) Winter theme
15 Syrumani (Nicole) TREES!!! Love Christmas trees.
16 Ladydragon5 (Janice) Christmas colors, red, forest green, gold.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2011 7:13 PM

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I finished my potholders (just need to mail!) . . . now I can start concentrating on these blocks!

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks for moving us Pat

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My blocks have cost anywhere from .44 to .88 to 1.05 I think it depends on the bulkiness as well as the size. They have to fit through a cardboard slot or else they are nonmachinable. (which costs more) Always something! I try to recycle as much as possible and reuse envelopes every chance I get. I do peel off the postage and all labels so as to remove as much weight as possible.

Glad you liked the block and tip, Helene.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

This from Stu today

It's in the eye, yes in the eye. The colors are just so well put together.Precision work.
No more two turtle doves however.

Thank you so much
See for your self

Thumbnail by helenethequeen
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Helene.... glad you like it The dove fabric is actually an oriental print, but when I saw it, I thought immediately of using the pair as a central panel to some of the Christmas blocks and the colors of the flowers and leaves were perfect to carry the Christmas colors.

Edited to add that I sent Helene an apology as I didn't think of the subject matter when sending her the block.... my mind only went to the 12 days of Christmas song.

This message was edited Apr 5, 2011 1:07 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Beautiful colours and work FLStu, I would have never guessed that the doves are on an oriental print.
These swaps look like a lot of fun, maybe next time I come out of my little shell and participate in one...lol
Until then I just go on enjoying all your beautiful work.

The Block is purrfect (love this word)

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, Stu, that is really nice! Love the colors!

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

Mittsy sent me two wonderful blocks; one for this swap and one for the "different kind of block" swap. I love them both and they will be added to my stash to make the quilts.

I finished two of the "winter" blocks yesterday. I love them but I don't know if the recipients will. One is a little out of the ordinary but I do love it anyway.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

i got a block from Stu today. It's simple but wonderful. Thanks!

(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Stu, I just got your block also! I love it! Thanks so much!

Thumbnail by taters55
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

I love the simple blocks like that. I like how they offset the ones with lots of pieces or star blocks etc. Nice job Stu.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

You're both welcome. Linda, your block is the reason I went out and bought (finally) a set of squares. The outer border was originally gold around the red and then green outer border. I tried and tried to measure the extra and square it down to 12.5 ", but kept on being too short and I'd have to cut it back down (try to rip all 4 seams and stay sane). Eventually, I ran out of green and went to Joann's to buy a square ruler set.

You can't see it in pics, but the center and red fabrics have gold metallic. I'm going to share a little with some of these blocks cause they made me have to laugh when I ran into some quirky bumps in the road.

Jumper, I think that was the red and green Christmas pinwheel? If you need, I have pics of the ones that I sent out, except for Housse and Ladybug and can post for those without cameras... just D-mail me or ask in the thread.

This message was edited Apr 6, 2011 2:16 PM

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

I got the blue and white w/ snow flakes. It's lovely!

Thumbnail by jumper2
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Yes, sorry. Found which block it was when I got home and looked at my list. I'm in that 'Can't Remember Squat' phase lately.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I got my block from Stu, thank you. Love the two turtle doves, I have a partridge in a pear tree fabric fat quarter in my stash and will use these blocks in my oldest granddaughter's Christmas quilt. I only have two blocks to go and I'll have them done.

Victoria Harbour, ON

OMGGGGGGGG Helene,

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

geeee that took a long time to get to you.
Glad it's ok with you.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I love it, did get it 3 days ago but wasn't feeling the best and computer decided it would be ill at same time..lol..already in my christmas blocks from last year just waiting to become a treasure!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I got my block from Stu today! Thanks, Stu!

Thumbnail by Syrumani
(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

I got my block from Stu today too!!! red with gold, and birdies in the trees like in Nichole's......Maybe the pin wheel you were thinking of Stu??? It is fantastic ^_^

post the photo if you have it, or I will get one up later...

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

This is Thunder's block. She said that she liked birds.

Syrumani's block has two fabrics with a print of snow covered pine trees in two different tones of green.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2011 5:10 AM

Thumbnail by FLStu
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

This is Mittsy's block.

Thumbnail by FLStu
(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes Stu I love birds, Have two in my dining room !! and love to watch the wild ones outside!!

Saw an eagle today!!! it was fantastic!!! and some Hummers !! oh yea ...got to see my sister too!!! Had a great day ^_^

Lexington Park, MD

Got my block from Stu and I love the colors. Thank you.

Victoria Harbour, ON

I've started mine, just finishing the 2nd one..long way to go but it's a start..the 2nd one I might give to 'me' as I'm on the list..just too pretty!

Lexington Park, MD

Ok here it is blues and creams. This is the block Stu sent me.

Thumbnail by housse301
Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

You're welcome Laura. You asked for no Christmas and scrappy. About 4 months after I got started quilting, I used these fabrics, my first pre-washed, for the blocks in my first attempt for a swap on another site.. It was a Rail (?) pattern. I made eight blocks using two blue and four cream colors as no two were supposed to be the same combo. Unfortunately, my blocks turned out 1/4 inch to small as I didn't use a 'scant' 1/4 inch (didn't realize we had to) and all the blocks were rejected and I felt a bit devistated. That's one of the main reasons I've been hesitant to join another swap. These were extra of the materials that I used. When you said 'scrappy', I stumbled across these looking in my stash of scraps. Using them in this swap kind of validated for me that I could do a swap, using pre-washed materials and all.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2011 10:05 AM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Great thinking..love the blues..

was trying to figure out what is Christmas and what is winter, not easy in my mind so will do all the Christmas blocks and perhaps by then more will have received their winter blocks and I can get ideas!

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

I have about half finished and just need to mail. I did the Winter ones first since I had trouble knowing exactly what that was. the Christmas will be easy as I have lots of that kind of fabric left over from the last Christmas swap.

Stu, I know exactly what you mean about seams. When I first started making blocks for swaps and used Quilter Cache, I found that their patterns really took a 1/8" seam, not the usual 1/4". I made lots of blocks tht were just shy of the 12.5 and then, to compensate, I made ones that turned out to be 13"+. I really had trouble with the disappearing 9 blocks. As a 9 block, if it is 12.5", when you cut it, then it is short the 12.5. I really struggled with THAT one.

I have to say, that nobody in this group ever sent my blocks back or was nasty about it when they were just shy of what they should have been, as they were when I first started. Since then I have tried to make sure they are the right size since they were so kind to me.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Amen to that Janice..

Had triangle cut out from last year's projects, thought 'great' I can make one of the blocks out of this..well, as it happened I was one piece short and had to add a seam, the print is so busy you'd have had to look for it but rather than someone finding it I think I'll keep that one for me..lol

Know I could sent it to one of my dg friends here who know me well and they'd forgive but thought best not to..

will post a photo though just before I set it in the box with my other christmas blocks..

Stu - I got your block Saturday. I wasn't sure it was you as there was no return address and nothing on the block. After searching the Florida map, I figured it HAD to be you because Thunder always signs her blocks and Marion isn't in this swap.
I got Pat's today from the other swap. I will post photos in the morning.
I must add my two cents too about block size. I try really hard to make sure they are correct but sometimes they may not be.
Anyone is free to send a block back to me that they are not happy with. That being said, I have never gotten a block back and I would never send one back either. To me, the purpose of these swaps is to learn. Anew technique, a new pattern I may not have tried before, etc. I would not want to inhibit someone else from trying new things by being upset about the size of their block. There are so many ways to compensate if need be. Besides, I think the world of every one of you and would not hurt you ever if I can help it.

Lowell, IN(Zone 5b)

Barb..... sorry, the return addy sticker must have fallen off. I tried to tape over each just in case, but must have missed that one. I believe I sent you a pinwheel inb the two blue snowflake fabrics that I used for Jumper.

That's the one Stu. I'll post a photo in the morning!!! I did have fun exploring Florida!!!!

Lexington Park, MD

Very well put Barb. I have been very shy about signing up for a block swap as I am not a scant 1/4 seam sewer. I try but does not always happen.

Only God is perfect Laura. The rest of us just muddle along......

Lexington Park, MD

Well then I muddy along in my quilts and with my DG friends.

That's how we do it!! And thank heaven for all our friends here.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I for one enjoy all your quilting creations...to me they look wonderful :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.