-
AuthorContent
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 5, 2011
1:53 AM

Post #8472865

I thought I would start a thread about our most prized collections. I need to take pictures to share but mine would be my McCoy planters and vases, my blueridge crabapple set. Please add the stories behind them if you choose.

Below is an old dinner bell from my Dad's farm.

Thumbnail by bluegrassmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
12:50 PM

Post #8476279

One of my most prized collections contains antique textiles and handiwork, sewing, quilts, linens, embroidery, crochet, and so forth ... mostly made by or belonging to family members who are now deceased. This sampler made by my maternal great-grandmother is dated 1906. It's one of my faves of the collection.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8476307

Embroidered pillow made by a great-aunt.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8476323

Dresser scarf crocheted by my grandmother in her favorite pattern. I also have a full size bedspread in the same pattern as well as a large table cloth.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
1:29 PM

Post #8476351

Antique candlewicking hand towel. A bit difficult to see the white on white.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8476376

Just one more. Antique antimacassar set in the old Garden Lady/Southern Belle pattern.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
2:34 PM

Post #8476446

Antique wooden dough bowls and trenchers ... some are Birdseye maple including the old rolling pin.

Edited to add: This collection began with my grandmother's old "biscuit bowl" (on the left), her green chopping bowl and her rolling pin ... all from the early 1900's.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 7:04 AM

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
2:37 PM

Post #8476458

Butterscotch bakelite cutlery and serving pieces.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2011
2:45 PM

Post #8476477

More Butterscotch Bakelite kitchenware.

OK, I'm done for now until I can get a picture of my old Castleton 'Sunnyvale' dishes.

I'm ready to see everybody else's treasures. :-) This is an interesting thread!

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 6, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8476962

Ooohhh, Carole... you've been holding out on us all winter. Nice stuff!!!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
6:14 PM

Post #8476979

Yes, love your treasures!
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 6, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8477227

Yes, I love the pictures also. Keep them coming.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8477287

Maybe tomorrow I will take a couple of my quilts and McCoy.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 7, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8477673

Thanks. Looking forward to your pictures. I've thinned my collections in recent years, believe it or not. It got to where there was way more of them than there was of us. ;-) Actually, a move forced me to do that.

Good, love quilts. I'll take pics of a couple of my faves sometime. And my vintage jewelry collection. Will this spark a resurgence of the collecting bug? I fear there is no cure for that. :-)

One more since I already had it in the computer. This is just a few of the "girls" ... most are still packed away. This collection started just because I liked them.

huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2011
4:54 AM

Post #8484419

this is great ,I will take some photos of my treasures.

Carole ,you have some treasures ..family thats sooo nice..There were no treasures passed down on either side ??? sad... soo Ive collected those things myself.. LOL

I soo love Headvases ,always wanted 1 or 2 ,I just love them.im gonna go take some photos.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
5:26 AM

Post #8484466

Did they put hat pins in those?
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8484579

they are Planters !!!! LOL weird isnt it...
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
5:54 AM

Post #8484582

Really? I thought I had seen hat pins in one at a antique store LOL maybe she was repurposing.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8484867

Love your heads! That's one of the first things I sold...just didn't know what they were...
There's an article in the Wall Street Journal this morning about Baby Boomers and their "stuff." I cut it out so I could re-read it occasionally. Talks about down-sizing and finding out your stuff isn't worth what you thought it would be. That people hire liquidators to come in and tag their household things, but not everything sells. Some senior living centers pay as much as $10,000. to liquidators to help new residents get "unstuck" from a longtime home.

Sooooooo...I learned three things from the aritcle: #1...all that stuff I've been keeping isn't worth the space it's taking up. #2...All our "middle-age" furnishings, including rugs and paintings aren't worth squat! And the big one...
#3...I should be a liquidator, that's where the money is going!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 10, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8485004

OK, I got a picture. Not sure if these are prized, but will never part with them. All purchased ones were a near steal!
Starting at the left.
Late 1950's tin car, value $250.00
Cadiz Railroad car bought during 2008 Kentucky RU.
Must be one of a kind Peanuts train.
Numbered photo by LarryR, door prize at Iowa RU.
Tonka Dump Truck, very old!
Gourd birdhouse, won at my very first RU in Iowa, 2005.
Coca-Cola tray from 1921, value $550.00
Cardinals, door prize from a RU.
3 books on the shelf, 1923 Carpenters & Builders Guide.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2011
1:08 PM

Post #8485344

Well, those are pretty cool! And they are the best kind of prized possessions since they all have personal meaning. That's how I feel about my family treasures.

I learned a long time ago to buy something because I loved it and not because I thought it would increase in value and be worth a fortune. Unfortunately, the Boomers even did that with real estate and what a mess that's turned out to be. Motto of that story is to live in your house and make it a home, not an investment. Same with your stuff. Hold on to it loosely and when you don't enjoy it anymore, get rid of it. :-)

Thanks, hugger. Yep, the headvases were intended to be used as planters or for floral arrangements. Most of them came from florist shops and weren't sold apart from the arrangements.

LOL about being a liquidator, Sandi. Never too late?? :-)
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
3:35 PM

Post #8485674

Antiques do seem to hold their value, but I also buy what I like to have around. Nostalgia I guess. I have found some old Pyrex baking ware that I use plus I use my Hull cookie jar, McCoy coffee cups ect. I have a Gay Fad style canister set. I don't have much from either side of my family either but I do cherish my Watt cookie jar with the broken lid LOL Also, a camel back trunk we got when we first married. That will soon be over 30 yrs.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8485793

I think it's too late...I'm too old and too tired! I'm on to the next phase of my life soon...liquidated my food!
It's a good thing we had a garage sale last weekend. Our frig in the garage went out and there would have been no easy way to remove it. Now we have a huge clear path to get it out and get a new one in. Still too much stuff, but we're making a little progress. I'll post a "collection" later this week.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8485796

I am like both of you in the fact that I buy what I like. I often buy things that remind me of things my mother and grandmother had. The rest of my treasured things are the ones that have personal memories for me concerning my family and things we did together, etc. The other things were just fun buys that were too cheap to pass up. Those I am starting to inventory and will start to sell. I haven't quite decided where to sell yet but it will probably be in several places such as Etsy, a flea market occasionally or some other sort of thing like that. I am too old and tired to do anything major so will just whittle away at it a little at the time like I accumulated it. If I don't manage to get rid of all of the extra, it will be up to my girls to do it later. They are smart and can do it just fine. In fact, one of them is planning to sell some stuff also. She followed in my footsteps and has collected things she no longer needs also. My granddaughter is getting married in June and she will get some of the thing that she wants. I am already pulling out some things to offer her. I have a Hoosier cabinet she might want. It needs work but will be great if she wants to work on it.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2011
4:36 PM

Post #8485800

How funny that we both posted the words, old and tired, in our posts. That about sums it up doesn't it? I will be 75 in July. How old are you?
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8485804

That would be a cool gift, hope she is one that will appreciate it, Ellen. We had a tag sale when my granny died. I wasn't working and with 4 small kids, the twins in diapers. I just didn't have much to spend. I so wanted her Shawnee corn pieces.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2011
4:50 PM

Post #8485845

I would never give her anything with memories if she didn't have the same love for them that I do. She is truly One of Us when it comes to loving the memories associated with our possessions. The Hoosier is not a family possession so it isn't one that has memories. I just thought she might like it since her mom has one in her kitchen that Elena grew up with.

Elena has slept in my grandmother's bed all her life. It is over 100 years old. Her mom owns the bed but she will probably get it one of these days also since it is the only. bed she has ever had other than her baby bed. She already has things that were family also and old things she has bought herself that she liked.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8486478

Elena...I just turned 64...but my body has turned against me! As the old saying goes...If I had known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
I wish I had had LouC's helpful info years ago and sold off some of the collections instead of selling them piece by piece. I just didn't know any better. I would be a terrible salesperson.
BTW...one of our neighbors at the lake told me that when they bought their first house in San Antonio, the loan officer said they didn't qualify for the price of the home. She told him about her Hoosier cabinet and some other antiques she had. They wound up having the cabinet appraised along with he other things and they qualified as collateral. I have no idea the cabinets were so valuable.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8486543

Some are and some aren't. It all depends on the year and the make. Ours is in good shape but probably isn't one of the valuable ones. There is a whole collection thing going for them. Folks try to buy all sorts of accessories that were originally sold with and for use in them. I don't have any large collections but rather a lot of odds and ends things picked up all over the place when I was out on my millions of junking jaunts. I never bought anything at top dollar and never intended to make money on any of it either. I just bought things because I liked them.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2011
5:06 AM

Post #8486875

Well, if we're telling our ages, I'm 62. If I were a tad bit closer to Nashville, I'd help you, Elena. I got rid of a whole lot of things when we moved across country and since then (although sometimes I think I can't tell it very much) ... the things that I had collected just because I liked them or they were too much of a bargain to pass by. We're all a bunch of peas in the same pod, aren't we?

I was partial to the old dishes too (had many pieces of the old Coronado turquoise) ... and pottery ... and some glass ... and kitchenware ... and...

The gardening addiction ... well, I'm still working on that one. :-D)))

Elena, is that your daughter's name and your name also?
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8486882

We have a couple of folks that buy collections in lots for resale. I am guessing you will not be getting top dollar but then again you would not be having to deal with all the packing, setting up, tagging and things.
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8486960

The one place I still have space is in the garden. I have a cottage garden which lends itself to having lots of cutie pie stuff. (Thank goodness.) You might have noticed that Melody posted some of my funny things in the Sunday funnies starting right after Christmas. That is one thing I can rearrange and have fun with without having a junky yard. Actually I do it in the house too. Since I don't have indoor space for changing big things, I change out little things. Actually I decorated an entire small church recreation/dining area last Thursday with just stuff from my barns and yard. I choose a spring theme that lent itself to using lots of different things, including some critters, such as my yard squirrel statues. I love doing that but must par down that stuff too.

So... I am the one who gets the most respect here, huh, since I am the senior member of this thread. Mind your ps and qs ladies, cause we old folks like things to stay orderly. LOL Just joshing...

I am headed out in the yard to try to accomplish something before the rain hits later in the day. I have an unbelievable amount of weeding to do before putting pine fines in the beds.

Elena got the name second and is named after me. I have been called that by my hubby ever since that was my name in Spanish class in high school. He loved it and actually so do I. That is Spanish for Ellen which is my legal name. Her father is Mexican and is from Mexico. He and my daughter are both college English teachers. The marriage didn't last but that darling is our reward for not killing her father like we kinda wanted to do. LOL Actually she has a darling brother also. He is awesome too.

Elena on horseback...

Thumbnail by Elena

Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
5:51 AM

Post #8486967

If I find that selling things little by little gets to be too much of a challenge, I may just deal with some of the folks who buy things in large quantity. I won't know that until I can get a little further down the line with my inventory. Right now, the yard and all the storm damage, weedy beds, etc. has to take priority.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 11, 2011
5:56 AM

Post #8486978

Maybe I should bring a truck along to the RU & then stop at your house & fill it up. LOL!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8486986

Elena is very pretty! Bernie, sounds like you have a plan :)
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
7:27 AM

Post #8487320

Beautiful daughter, Elena!

I posted on the other thread about my continued hunt thru the post cards...I'm making progress!

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2011
7:42 AM

Post #8487352

Elena is very pretty indeed.

LOL, Sandi, I could never be a liquidator and I'm really not very fast help when helping others with their antiques and collections because I get so fascinated with everything, have to hear the stories, find out about the mysteries and so forth. Takes me forever. :-)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8487366

She is my granddaughter. Thanks for the compliments. She is a treasure and I thank the Lord for giving her to us. By KYRU time, I hope to have made some sense of this multiple possessions mess. Of course we all know that "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry." Here's hoping that this time they won't.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 11, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8487377

Apparently people bring things other than plants to the RUs?
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
8:09 AM

Post #8487420

Yep! We always have lots of interesting things given to the door prize effort. Also, trades can be made on anything reasonable I would think. I would advise doing that before hand however. I used to provide a trading thread but in the last couple of years folks have just kind of done that in advance either on the roundup thread or privately. See you guys later. I need to do some yard work for about another hour... than it is lunch time and nap time for this couple of tired gardeners. Hope you all have a marvelous day.
huggergirl
Columbia City, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2011
6:15 AM

Post #8489668

Glad you said that Carole,Im going to donate things for doorprizes at the uppermidwest RU,maybe a stack or two,book,want to make a living wreath or something??? LOL

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

April 12, 2011
7:03 AM

Post #8489861

I donated some of my culled and eliminated antiques and collectible treasures to the fundraiser for a mural for the outside wall of a library ... among other things. They sold very well. :-)
Elena
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 12, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8489932

That is a fantastic idea. Good for you!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America