Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Eggs due to hatch in incu...Electricity went out!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Help ! My Cochin and Serama eggs were to hatch this coming Saturday. The storms last night here in Georgai were terrible and the electricity went out for over an hour. I did not open the incu... do you think they will be allright or should I just give up on them?
Thank Heavens I took 6 of the eggs and put them under Chicopea Broody, last week.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

They will be probably be fine. I think Haystack had the power out for 4 hours! I've had the power go out a couple of times, it's usually not that bad. Just cover with a towel or blanket.. Good luck!

Richmond, TX

I'm just glad you are okay. The storms sounded terrible on the news.

Ferndale, WA

ZZ's is quite right, I lost power on one hatch for just over 4 hrs. I was thinking the same thing Eufaula, probably going to lose the batch, but, they did just fine and I had a good hatch. Just hang in there. P.S. I just hatched three new serama babies with ten more eggs to hatch I hope...

I think the weather is crazy everywhere...here almost every river in the state is flooded over, houses are sinking and sliding off of foundations all over the place. It's terrible...We are very fortunate as we have a large creek but its thirty feet below our property level so no water problems here are really possible...The creek is normally only about a foot high but now it's probably three feet as it has been raining here forever, well it seems like it...Hay

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks ZZ, I had forgotten that about Hay's incu. It makes me feel a lot better , Id hate to just give up.
Yes they were just terrible, PorkPal. I woke up to dead quiet, pitch black and no electricity, around 1:30 am. Then all of a sudden lightening and wind was everywhere. I know they said no Tornadoes were in my exact area but when you lay there in the dark and you hear this roaring ,ROARING thunder that does not stop or quiets You know that something is wrong. The weather people called it Straight Line winds.....Well Im here to tell you that they were right over my head and they were Horrible!
I came out just fine and so did my chickies, some of my neighbors still do not have electricity. Some trees down but no one (in my area) was hurt, thank Heavens!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

WE were posting at the same time Howie!
Yes crazy crazy weather here for sure! Rains every day for thepast two weeks and the temps have gone from freezing to the high 90's and now we will go down to just above freezing again tonight! I'll have to cover the new little brooder with a plastic tarp for sure this evening!

Richmond, TX

- And we haven't had rain in over six weeks! Crazy indeed.

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

We went through so much rain a couple weeks ago, I really started to worry. There is a canal 1/2 mile from here.. a few years ago they revamped the levees, but when it's full it's HUGE.. Like 20 feet deep I'd bet... and very scary cause it is so close.. but we were okay.. and it didn't get as high as I've seen it before. There are a lot of floods here too Haystack.. It's so sad with the economy being so bad.. I don't know what folks will do.

I'm glad all was okay for you Eufaula.. I wouldn't give up on a hatch even if it seems hopeless...
Recently, I've had one of those times I took eggs when I shouldn't have like 3 times.. I'm about DONE with broody hens and hens sneaking in to give em some extras... and then the Seramas got off their nest and left 15 eggs... I KNOW some were good, unfortunately, nothing I could do.. really sad.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I know what you mean ZZ. I have a BL red Wyandotte Hen that will lay her eggs and set at night , but will not stay on the nest during the day! I watched her for almost 2 weeks hoping that sooner or later she would set normally but she wouldnt do it! Needless to say I am not getting any broody hatched Wyandottes!

Ferndale, WA

ZZ's I told you I had sold my incubator, but the lady has never come over to pick it up. So I have decided to just keep it. That way if a silkie doesn't go broody or doesn't stay on the eggs I have the bator as a back up...I'm sure glad everyone is safe with this crazy weather. I'm just sick about what people will do with loosing their homes and this economy being so bad. I can't believe how fortunate I am, not being in the work force anymore and at least having a peice of dirt, where I can still hang my hat...Hay

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Yeah, I love broody hens, and the ease of them taking care of them. Really, I shouldn't complain, I took a huge chance on the lavender eggs being any good..
AND the Serama sisters hatched a baby, it was just too interesting for them to stay on the nest.

I'm glad I don't have a bator really.. I know I could have saved some, but I have no where to keep them if the mom didn't take em back.

(Zone 5b)

Blah, this weather can turn to spring any time now. A section of the main road we live on was washed away, too many pot holes close together, they're trying to repair it now. The rivers and creeks have crested yet again. If it so much as sprinkles today it'll flood. Rain and snow for the rest of this week too. The daylilies are coming up, some are up about 6 to 8 inches so there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

I loaned my incubator to a friend LOL, I need to step away from the chickens. There are too many awesome hatcing eggs for sale and I want some of all of them! I'm just loving the 29 chicks we have now, I can tell some are roosters, about 8 or 9 of them. Sure wish there was a broody to help take care of them, I really loved watching them be full throttle moms! But, I also like the chicks thinking I'm their mom and come running when I talk to them.
I'm going to be a slacker and take a nap - in broad daylight - up all night with a sick child. I love her with all my heart, she is sure a challenge and tests every ounce of patience and knowledge I have about her condition. By the time I wake up she'll be home from school and we can start fresh again, just seeing her smile gives me strength to keep going for her. Good night!

Ferndale, WA

OK Eufaula were all on hatch watch with you. I just hatched six new serama babies Sunday and Monday and their all gone already. One Lady bought them all. Next hatch will start sometime next week...

Annie please step away from the chicks...LOL...Your a wonderful grandma for that little girl...Just think!! What would happen to her if it were not for you...She is so lucky and someday she will realize it...Hay

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi everyone, yes we are on countdown. Im a little worried though! Chicopea has been kicking eggs out from under her. Ive found two so far that she just refuses to keep warm. So on last count I believe she still has 12 eggs under her. Its a lot and I know that she knows whats best so we will just have to wait and see!
She has Serama and cochin eggies, the seramas are due to hatch today, Im not sure when the Cochins will hatch. If they are 21 day'ers I guess I'll have to do some switcheroo'in to keep her from abandoning the late hatchers. Ive the the brooder ( aquarium) ready and waiting.

(Zone 5b)

I'm watching your count down too!! More babies, how fun!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

....waiting.....waiting....waiting..................

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

oops! I just found out that "Sweet Tater", Chicopeas only surviving baby girl , from last years hatch, has also gone broody!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I guess I should let you all know who's going to be the proud Papa if any baby Seramas make it. Its "Carrot"!

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Heres is the Cochin Papa " Iroh"

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

...and "Silva" the mom

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Ok now this is a first for me! I noticed Chicopea, was strting to get up and down a lot, to...SCRATCH, herself not the floor! She has little mites on her and I saw 2 tiny little buggies on the eggs!
Can I dust her now and the broody box aquarium or not! ..and what with??

Ferndale, WA

Dimataceous food grade I believe is what most use. I have never had a mite or bug problem so I have never used it. I don't see why it would hurt the eggs but not really sure about that...Hay

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Hay, Ive never had a problem either, so this is very distressful for me! Im afraid now to separate the new babies when they get here and put them in the brooder, I guess I'll just leave them with their mama and hope for the best.
Ive used Diatomaceous Earth in the Hen House mixed with sand for their dust baths but never on newly hatched chicks!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Okay, Im headed for TSC, for dust.................and the chick tubs...........just to look.......I have will power...............................pray for me!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I use Poultry dust.. DE is hard on their lungs if you ask me.. I won't use it as a dust. It is very common for broody hens to get lice or mites.. they are "sitting ducks" I dust broody moms and the residual dust will (hopefully take care of the chicks) I pick up the bird and dust their bottom, then put em down and put a "pile" of dust on their back and rub it under their wings..
The best way to check em for lice or mites is put the chicks (or hens) on a piece of white paper... tiny specks will be crawling around on the paper in time. (get your glasses, they are very hard to see)

Mites can kill chicks.. yup.. it's true!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Im Back! I made myself hurry , chickies need dusting...no time to kill looking at new babies in the chicken tubs at TSC!
Got the dust, dusted Chicopea and her brood box. ZZ you think its safe then to put the dust under her too! Well back out to the barn.
You arent kidding , those little varmits are tiiiii-ny! I saw one or two on the white eggies! they are the same color as Chickopea, very hard to see!
Oh .... and no pips yet....darn it!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

No need to put it on the eggs.. The nest will be dusted now that mom has it.. and they are after her, so they won't stay in the nest. So good you caught it before the babiez hatch!

I had a broody hatch 3 days late (day 24).. so our timeclock is not the same as theirs.. :)

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

7:58....no babies...but i caught her talking to them! Good sign!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

tap tap taptaptap.....

waiting is very hard....

Los Gatos, CA

Ok, so my power went out twice. On day two and then again on day three. Both times the temps when down to 54-57. The power was out for about 8 hours the first time and 24 hours the second time. Friday was day 21, and I have 8 new olive eggers! Right on the dot. Kind of crazy! Always amazing!

Richmond, TX

Wow, amazing! Congratulations!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

They are amazing! Congrats!

Ferndale, WA

That is great news, and amazing also. I think that kind of experience gives us all hope. Thanks for sharing that Images, and I'm so happy for you...Hay

Ferndale, WA

Eufaula we are all pacing the floor, make an appearance pleeeeeeze. Babies n more babies...Hay

Honest, I had to show you this pic. I had the camera ready, Karen was holding our new little black Serama. She put him down in the center of the doilly she made and even with the camera at ready he ran off of the doilly and flew down to the floor and all I got in the picture is what you see. I have never ever seen a hyper baby like this. You can't hold him more than a second before he flies away...This bird is crazy...Hay

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 9:08 AM

Thumbnail by Haystack
Los Gatos, CA

Yea, but what a great doilly! My Grandma used to make those..... She taught me how to crochet, but I don't have the patience for the small stuff! Good memory tho!.....

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

Oughta call him Speedy!

My mom has a perfect picture of an oak log I jumped with my horse.. Me and the horse are no where in the picture.. LOL

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I had to work 8 hours today, Paper work, Yuck, but it kept me busy. I wasnt running out to the broody box every 10 minutes. I think Chickopea was appreciative!
I got home at 5.......no chicks!! Chicopea was off her nest letting it cool a little. the barn was very warm, so I guess she decided after 20 days of setting and no chicks then me giving her another set of eggs and another 19 days, she was due for some R&R.
I know for a fact that 3of the 4 eggs that she kicked out of the nest were ok. I pipped the tops off and one wasnt fertile(Serama), but the 3 cochins are just fine. I covered them with a moist crocheted sqare,and put them into the incu 2 days ago. I keep a check on them and now they are in a broody aquarium with the moist square still on top of them....so far I can see movement under the 2 layers of membrane and I assume since they are viable that Chickopea must have at least 9 good babies under her! sooooooooooo.........we still wait!

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Imagesoart, thank you that makes me feel a lot better and gives me more hope!
Hay, one thing for sure that little black has just toooo much energy for a show Serama! He would never tabletop well! LOL!!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

I know when incubated Serama eggs only go 19 days a lot of the time, but under a broody they might go the normal 21 days.. Incubator temps might be warmer, which makes them hatch early.

I had a broody get off the eggs for an entire day.. the day after she was on the eggs.. I freaked cause I thought the eggs started to develop.. but amazingly enough.. they went on to develop! So ya just never know..

Richmond, TX

He must be a Minorca Serama.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.