Photo by Melody

Poultry and Livestock: Eggs due to hatch in incu...Electricity went out!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 181, Views: 935
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8473336

Help ! My Cochin and Serama eggs were to hatch this coming Saturday. The storms last night here in Georgai were terrible and the electricity went out for over an hour. I did not open the incu... do you think they will be allright or should I just give up on them?
Thank Heavens I took 6 of the eggs and put them under Chicopea Broody, last week.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2011
8:12 AM

Post #8473446

They will be probably be fine. I think Haystack had the power out for 4 hours! I've had the power go out a couple of times, it's usually not that bad. Just cover with a towel or blanket.. Good luck!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 5, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8473531

I'm just glad you are okay. The storms sounded terrible on the news.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 5, 2011
10:27 AM

Post #8473705

ZZ's is quite right, I lost power on one hatch for just over 4 hrs. I was thinking the same thing Eufaula, probably going to lose the batch, but, they did just fine and I had a good hatch. Just hang in there. P.S. I just hatched three new serama babies with ten more eggs to hatch I hope...

I think the weather is crazy everywhere...here almost every river in the state is flooded over, houses are sinking and sliding off of foundations all over the place. It's terrible...We are very fortunate as we have a large creek but its thirty feet below our property level so no water problems here are really possible...The creek is normally only about a foot high but now it's probably three feet as it has been raining here forever, well it seems like it...Hay
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
10:36 AM

Post #8473714

Thanks ZZ, I had forgotten that about Hay's incu. It makes me feel a lot better , Id hate to just give up.
Yes they were just terrible, PorkPal. I woke up to dead quiet, pitch black and no electricity, around 1:30 am. Then all of a sudden lightening and wind was everywhere. I know they said no Tornadoes were in my exact area but when you lay there in the dark and you hear this roaring ,ROARING thunder that does not stop or quiets You know that something is wrong. The weather people called it Straight Line winds...Well Im here to tell you that they were right over my head and they were Horrible!
I came out just fine and so did my chickies, some of my neighbors still do not have electricity. Some trees down but no one (in my area) was hurt, thank Heavens!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
10:40 AM

Post #8473720

WE were posting at the same time Howie!
Yes crazy crazy weather here for sure! Rains every day for thepast two weeks and the temps have gone from freezing to the high 90's and now we will go down to just above freezing again tonight! I'll have to cover the new little brooder with a plastic tarp for sure this evening!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 5, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8473848

- And we haven't had rain in over six weeks! Crazy indeed.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8473872

We went through so much rain a couple weeks ago, I really started to worry. There is a canal 1/2 mile from here.. a few years ago they revamped the levees, but when it's full it's HUGE.. Like 20 feet deep I'd bet... and very scary cause it is so close.. but we were okay.. and it didn't get as high as I've seen it before. There are a lot of floods here too Haystack.. It's so sad with the economy being so bad.. I don't know what folks will do.

I'm glad all was okay for you Eufaula.. I wouldn't give up on a hatch even if it seems hopeless...
Recently, I've had one of those times I took eggs when I shouldn't have like 3 times.. I'm about DONE with broody hens and hens sneaking in to give em some extras... and then the Seramas got off their nest and left 15 eggs... I KNOW some were good, unfortunately, nothing I could do.. really sad.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 5, 2011
12:29 PM

Post #8473943

I know what you mean ZZ. I have a BL red Wyandotte Hen that will lay her eggs and set at night , but will not stay on the nest during the day! I watched her for almost 2 weeks hoping that sooner or later she would set normally but she wouldnt do it! Needless to say I am not getting any broody hatched Wyandottes!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 5, 2011
1:20 PM

Post #8474114

ZZ's I told you I had sold my incubator, but the lady has never come over to pick it up. So I have decided to just keep it. That way if a silkie doesn't go broody or doesn't stay on the eggs I have the bator as a back up...I'm sure glad everyone is safe with this crazy weather. I'm just sick about what people will do with loosing their homes and this economy being so bad. I can't believe how fortunate I am, not being in the work force anymore and at least having a peice of dirt, where I can still hang my hat...Hay
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 5, 2011
1:33 PM

Post #8474141

Yeah, I love broody hens, and the ease of them taking care of them. Really, I shouldn't complain, I took a huge chance on the lavender eggs being any good..
AND the Serama sisters hatched a baby, it was just too interesting for them to stay on the nest.

I'm glad I don't have a bator really.. I know I could have saved some, but I have no where to keep them if the mom didn't take em back.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2011
7:25 AM

Post #8475741

Blah, this weather can turn to spring any time now. A section of the main road we live on was washed away, too many pot holes close together, they're trying to repair it now. The rivers and creeks have crested yet again. If it so much as sprinkles today it'll flood. Rain and snow for the rest of this week too. The daylilies are coming up, some are up about 6 to 8 inches so there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

I loaned my incubator to a friend LOL, I need to step away from the chickens. There are too many awesome hatcing eggs for sale and I want some of all of them! I'm just loving the 29 chicks we have now, I can tell some are roosters, about 8 or 9 of them. Sure wish there was a broody to help take care of them, I really loved watching them be full throttle moms! But, I also like the chicks thinking I'm their mom and come running when I talk to them.
I'm going to be a slacker and take a nap - in broad daylight - up all night with a sick child. I love her with all my heart, she is sure a challenge and tests every ounce of patience and knowledge I have about her condition. By the time I wake up she'll be home from school and we can start fresh again, just seeing her smile gives me strength to keep going for her. Good night!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 8, 2011
4:27 PM

Post #8481252

OK Eufaula were all on hatch watch with you. I just hatched six new serama babies Sunday and Monday and their all gone already. One Lady bought them all. Next hatch will start sometime next week...

Annie please step away from the chicks...LOL...Your a wonderful grandma for that little girl...Just think!! What would happen to her if it were not for you...She is so lucky and someday she will realize it...Hay
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
2:25 AM

Post #8482088

Hi everyone, yes we are on countdown. Im a little worried though! Chicopea has been kicking eggs out from under her. Ive found two so far that she just refuses to keep warm. So on last count I believe she still has 12 eggs under her. Its a lot and I know that she knows whats best so we will just have to wait and see!
She has Serama and cochin eggies, the seramas are due to hatch today, Im not sure when the Cochins will hatch. If they are 21 day'ers I guess I'll have to do some switcheroo'in to keep her from abandoning the late hatchers. Ive the the brooder ( aquarium) ready and waiting.
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2011
6:01 AM

Post #8482308

I'm watching your count down too!! More babies, how fun!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
8:08 AM

Post #8482558

...waiting...waiting...waiting...

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
8:31 AM

Post #8482619

oops! I just found out that "Sweet Tater", Chicopeas only surviving baby girl , from last years hatch, has also gone broody!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8482624

I guess I should let you all know who's going to be the proud Papa if any baby Seramas make it. Its "Carrot"!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8482664

Heres is the Cochin Papa " Iroh"

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
8:54 AM

Post #8482671

...and "Silva" the mom

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
9:42 AM

Post #8482756

Ok now this is a first for me! I noticed Chicopea, was strting to get up and down a lot, to...SCRATCH, herself not the floor! She has little mites on her and I saw 2 tiny little buggies on the eggs!
Can I dust her now and the broody box aquarium or not! ..and what with??
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 9, 2011
9:52 AM

Post #8482778

Dimataceous food grade I believe is what most use. I have never had a mite or bug problem so I have never used it. I don't see why it would hurt the eggs but not really sure about that...Hay
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
10:08 AM

Post #8482878

Thanks Hay, Ive never had a problem either, so this is very distressful for me! Im afraid now to separate the new babies when they get here and put them in the brooder, I guess I'll just leave them with their mama and hope for the best.
Ive used Diatomaceous Earth in the Hen House mixed with sand for their dust baths but never on newly hatched chicks!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
11:14 AM

Post #8482991

Okay, Im headed for TSC, for dust...and the chick tubs...just to look...I have will power...pray for me!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8483038

I use Poultry dust.. DE is hard on their lungs if you ask me.. I won't use it as a dust. It is very common for broody hens to get lice or mites.. they are "sitting ducks" I dust broody moms and the residual dust will (hopefully take care of the chicks) I pick up the bird and dust their bottom, then put em down and put a "pile" of dust on their back and rub it under their wings..
The best way to check em for lice or mites is put the chicks (or hens) on a piece of white paper... tiny specks will be crawling around on the paper in time. (get your glasses, they are very hard to see)

Mites can kill chicks.. yup.. it's true!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
1:00 PM

Post #8483145

Im Back! I made myself hurry , chickies need dusting...no time to kill looking at new babies in the chicken tubs at TSC!
Got the dust, dusted Chicopea and her brood box. ZZ you think its safe then to put the dust under her too! Well back out to the barn.
You arent kidding , those little varmits are tiiiii-ny! I saw one or two on the white eggies! they are the same color as Chickopea, very hard to see!
Oh ... and no pips yet...darn it!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8483398

No need to put it on the eggs.. The nest will be dusted now that mom has it.. and they are after her, so they won't stay in the nest. So good you caught it before the babiez hatch!

I had a broody hatch 3 days late (day 24).. so our timeclock is not the same as theirs.. :)
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8483595

7:58...no babies...but i caught her talking to them! Good sign!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 10, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8484453

tap tap taptaptap...

waiting is very hard...
Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

April 10, 2011
8:40 AM

Post #8484902

Ok, so my power went out twice. On day two and then again on day three. Both times the temps when down to 54-57. The power was out for about 8 hours the first time and 24 hours the second time. Friday was day 21, and I have 8 new olive eggers! Right on the dot. Kind of crazy! Always amazing!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 10, 2011
8:46 AM

Post #8484923

Wow, amazing! Congratulations!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2011
8:51 AM

Post #8484934

They are amazing! Congrats!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 10, 2011
9:59 AM

Post #8485052

That is great news, and amazing also. I think that kind of experience gives us all hope. Thanks for sharing that Images, and I'm so happy for you...Hay
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 10, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8485057

Eufaula we are all pacing the floor, make an appearance pleeeeeeze. Babies n more babies...Hay

Honest, I had to show you this pic. I had the camera ready, Karen was holding our new little black Serama. She put him down in the center of the doilly she made and even with the camera at ready he ran off of the doilly and flew down to the floor and all I got in the picture is what you see. I have never ever seen a hyper baby like this. You can't hold him more than a second before he flies away...This bird is crazy...Hay

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 9:08 AM

Thumbnail by Haystack

Imagesoart
Los Gatos, CA

April 10, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8485296

Yea, but what a great doilly! My Grandma used to make those... She taught me how to crochet, but I don't have the patience for the small stuff! Good memory tho!...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8485544

Oughta call him Speedy!

My mom has a perfect picture of an oak log I jumped with my horse.. Me and the horse are no where in the picture.. LOL
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2011
2:51 PM

Post #8485553

I had to work 8 hours today, Paper work, Yuck, but it kept me busy. I wasnt running out to the broody box every 10 minutes. I think Chickopea was appreciative!
I got home at 5...no chicks!! Chicopea was off her nest letting it cool a little. the barn was very warm, so I guess she decided after 20 days of setting and no chicks then me giving her another set of eggs and another 19 days, she was due for some R&R.
I know for a fact that 3of the 4 eggs that she kicked out of the nest were ok. I pipped the tops off and one wasnt fertile(Serama), but the 3 cochins are just fine. I covered them with a moist crocheted sqare,and put them into the incu 2 days ago. I keep a check on them and now they are in a broody aquarium with the moist square still on top of them...so far I can see movement under the 2 layers of membrane and I assume since they are viable that Chickopea must have at least 9 good babies under her! sooooooooooo...we still wait!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2011
2:55 PM

Post #8485563

Imagesoart, thank you that makes me feel a lot better and gives me more hope!
Hay, one thing for sure that little black has just toooo much energy for a show Serama! He would never tabletop well! LOL!!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2011
3:15 PM

Post #8485613

I know when incubated Serama eggs only go 19 days a lot of the time, but under a broody they might go the normal 21 days.. Incubator temps might be warmer, which makes them hatch early.

I had a broody get off the eggs for an entire day.. the day after she was on the eggs.. I freaked cause I thought the eggs started to develop.. but amazingly enough.. they went on to develop! So ya just never know..
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 10, 2011
3:31 PM

Post #8485659

He must be a Minorca Serama.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 10, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8486099

OH Porkpal that was just to funny: I was truly laughing out loud. No kidding, I honestly have never seen any baby that I have raised that runs up and down all day long at the front of the fish tank Brooder. My wife was holding the baby and she fell asleep, I was outside and when I came in I could not find the chick in the brooder and it was not with her. I panicked and woker her up, asked where my baby was and she did not know. She went to get up and it had gotten it's head under her baggy sweatshirt cuff and had gone clear up her arm to the elbow. Several hours later I was holding him and I fell asleep. When I woke up he was under my shirt collar sleeping. No poo thank God. He is only four days old and he never stops. The energizer bunny is what he reminds me of...Hay A couple of pic's

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 5:29 PM
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 10, 2011
6:31 PM

Post #8486116

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 10, 2011
6:32 PM

Post #8486122

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 10, 2011
6:33 PM

Post #8486128

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 10, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8486133

Thumbnail by Haystack

Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 10, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8486139

Thumbnail by Haystack

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 10, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8486149

LOVE the pictures!!!!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 10, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8486330

OMG that is sooo cute! Awwww!!!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8486412

Too cute. And the chick is nice too. LOL
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2011
8:24 PM

Post #8486473

Awww I love the pics!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 10, 2011
9:02 PM

Post #8486555

No, this one isn't going to be spoiled, not him!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8486995

Not Spoiled ...Just ROTTEN!!!!!!! Too Cute!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 11, 2011
12:10 PM

Post #8487931

Oh How We Love Our Babies!!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
12:36 PM

Post #8487969

Im at work and will be going home in about 15 minutes... Im sooooooo nervous! I was not wanting to come in at all ... soo excited about new babies hatching while Im here! ( Hopefully) Im thinking positively! sooo ..gotta go and get home See you all later!!! Cross your fingers!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 11, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8488125

I have been waiting along with you,hope its good news
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2011
2:10 PM

Post #8488186

Okay... it's after 2.. where are you? LOL
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8488730

Well its 9 oclock here , Just got dark out, been sitting in the barn staring at Chickopea! All she can do is yawn, stretch , and everynow and then give a little chirpy chirp and bend her neck and push her eggies around under her so she can be comfortable. No pip that I can see...so tomorrow is day 21, hopefully there will be good news.
More storms moving in tonight, I'll be in another Tornado Watch until early morning , according to the weather radio. Everyone is tucked in and locked down for another bumpy night!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8489527

Good morning All! No Storms after all, thank Heavens! No Babies either!

Mama is still holding her own and waiting, but I'm a little worried about her! She is starting to make the wierdest clicking noise as she breathes. Its not something she is purposely doing , not a clucking or chirping , but something from inside her chest it seems! Her breathing is very quick and shallow. Do you think she is getting sick or is this normal for late in the hatching process? I know she gets up to drink and eat a little and her BIG (pregnancy) poops are really smelly, but she has no problems with them.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
10:25 AM

Post #8490290

Hope she is OK. My little white bantam hen is a bit off her feed. No other outward symptoms, just not her active self. I wonder if the sudden and often weather changes are hard on them?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8492597

Eufaula? Any news?
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 13, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8492719

I havent got any news...nothing this morning before I left for work. I didnt want to leave though, Poor Chickopea, now shes starting to Wheez when she breathes. I picked her up and she didnt even flair her feathers at me.
None of the eggs were pipped none were cracked ! I fear that its going to be another lost hatch!
Im afraid that Im going to lose my Sweet Chicopea though! I will take her off the nest this afternoon and see if I can figure out what is wrong with her. I know that even if she does have any hatchlings this afternoon that I will take them from her now. She is just to exhausted and run down.
Later guys!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 13, 2011
11:24 AM

Post #8492909

White light and healing energy to Chicopea...
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8493650

Uh Oh.. I hope she is okay..
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 13, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8494019

Eufaula try a little sugar in her water, It might just give her a boost in energy...Good luck with your baby...Hay
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8494110

I sure hope she comes out of it. I know she is special to you. My little girl is still mopey. And she is opening her beak as if the breathe now and again but no sign of mucus. DH is going to try and get some antibiotic again tomorrow.

On a sad and maddening note, Tramp, the puppy, killed one of my little chicks. He ran it through the wire and got it. I whipped the starch out of him and tied him back up. DH brought him a new collar from town. I was so mad I could have killed him. ( the dog not DH)
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 13, 2011
9:07 PM

Post #8494238

I hope you can get some meds for her.. I'd use some VetRx for breathing.. Helps like Vics..
Boiled Egg yolk, yogurt (for her gut) & lay crumbles with a bit of water would be good to feed her.. Nice and soft.. loaded with nutrition..

Keep us posted!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
5:11 AM

Post #8494566

Hi Guys, She seems to be a little better today. When I got home she had had a really BIG Poop! So I think a lot of her stress was the fact that she had refused to get off the eggs for 3 days. Her breathing is better but she still "Clicks" when her breath goes in and out, no Wheezing.
I tried to take her off the nest , but she went ballistic. She never tries to peck me and doesnt have an aggressive bone in her body, but she let me know right quick that she had no intentions of leaving the nest.
I took two of the eggs and topped into them, the chicks were still alive, so I placed them back under her. I dont know if they will finish hatching, but we will see. She still has ,( I think) 6 under her now, all Cochins. None of the Seramas were any good...Which makes me think that maybe I need to Switch Roos in the breeding pen.
Thanks guys for all the concern and tips. I have "Sweetened" her water and gave her boiled egg mash. Will see about getting some type of anti-biotic.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8494701

What is "topping into" an egg?
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
6:40 AM

Post #8494730

Cajun, it just means I pecked open the egg at the big end. Just breaking away the smallest amount of shell without breaking the membranes. This way I can see the chick move. I usually use an Ice pick or Nut pick.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8495624

This is topping! These are the first 3 that she kicked out of the nest. 2 were cold and gone one just kept on hanging in there!

This message was edited Apr 14, 2011 3:51 PM

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
1:53 PM

Post #8495632

I placed it back under her last night! Hoped for the best!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
1:55 PM

Post #8495639

Today When I got home this is how she greeted me!!! ooooooh!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
1:57 PM

Post #8495647

very carefully and very slowly I lifted her up a little ...and loooooky looky... Yippppppeeeee!!!!!!!!! One drying and one pipping so far!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

April 14, 2011
3:49 PM

Post #8495848

YEA!!

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8495871

Great
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 14, 2011
5:06 PM

Post #8496006

How cute! Even all puffed up she is still so tiny! Gotta love her.. :) Congratulations!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 14, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8496520

Great teamwork!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
5:35 AM

Post #8497090

Yesterday I noticed Chicopea pushing and sqirming around to move eggs out of her nest while protecting the newbie baby. I held each one of those eggs and realized something was wrong. They were cold and dry. Only one was actually warm and Peeping. So I topped the last 5 and sure enough the babies were at least a week immature and dead. the one that was peeping and pipped was so dry and the membrane was like tough plastic. I put it back under its Mama and little hatchling sibling.
This morning the little egger was still trying to get out of its shell, but couldnt because it was so hard and dry. I peeled the shell away and placed it back in the nest.
The cute thing was that Chicopea acted as if she knew they needed help. When she saw me come into the broody barn and sit in my chair to watch her, she immediately got off the nest and went to the waterer. She knew I was going to help them. As soon as I placed the new baby back into her nest she came over and calmy sat back down over them again. ahhhh nature!
So we have only 2 babies but thats alright. I will get photos tonight!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 15, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8497827

I agree, only two is just fine. Gotta have some to fix your fix...LOL...Hay
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
11:15 AM

Post #8497843

glad they weren't all lost but hope they aren't all roo's either. When I have bad hatches they always end up being roo's.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
11:17 AM

Post #8497852

I know it , it is really bad! My Fix that is!
On the other hand these baby Cochins were supposed to be sold this weekend. But not now! I will keep these two little boogers.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8497891

Oh that's just the greatest.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
11:45 AM

Post #8497898

Im hoping that at least one will be another Blue Cochin Roo. I no longer have the father of these chicks and he will be very hard to replace.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 15, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8497973

Are they both going to be blue?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2011
1:51 PM

Post #8498096

Good save!! I hope you get what you want. :) Bad hatches do produce a lot of roos.. at least in my experience..
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
1:58 PM

Post #8498118

hApPy HaPpY hApPy DaNcE!!!!!! Whooooopieee!!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
2:01 PM

Post #8498122

What Cha think!!! Is this Blue or What!!!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 15, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8498131

Just this last one and back they go under mOm!!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 15, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8498434

Definitely blue, such cuties!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 15, 2011
6:12 PM

Post #8498733

Yes I like the blue. Just a gorgeous color. Enjoy Enjoy and think of me with this white that won't lay an egg. Is it possible they did something to that chicken so she can't lay? I'm just asking.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 15, 2011
6:28 PM

Post #8498771

Awwww if they were any more blue they'd be purple! Sooo cute!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
10:30 AM

Post #8501896

I am green with envy for your blue chicks. LOL I am happy for you and for the chicks. I have never heard of topping. How soon can you do that and not harm the chick? Can't believe the hen lets you handle the eggs. My game broody will attack you before you even get to the nest.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 17, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8502560

Offie , after this thread , I feel like I've been in labor . Pretty blue .
sissy
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8508220

Very Sad Sad news! I found both babies dead today. One still in the nest , looked as if it had just gone to sleep and died. the other had gotten into the waterer and drowned. So please everyone put marbles into the waterers so this wont happen to your babies.
I just am not having any luck with babies this year at all. I still have eggs under "Sweet Tater", all Seramas, and 8 Cochin in the incubator. I am just not even going to think about them right now, I just cant get my hopes going again.
I know that the others had a rough time from the start, with the electricity going out and the sudden drop in our temps due to the storms that moved through, so maybe these two sets of eggs, natural and incu will have a better chance.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2011
5:10 AM

Post #8508229

Oh Eufaula. I'm so sorry. Sometimes it seems it's just not meant to be.
Hoping that things look up in the future.

Sigh.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 20, 2011
5:19 AM

Post #8508258

I'm so sorry , I know each loss is so heart wrenching for you . Big Sissy
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 20, 2011
7:32 AM

Post #8508533

I'm so sorry with you Eufaula :o( Loosing those babies is just exhausting and disheartening. I truly am sorry for your loss. I wished everyone would use those drown proof waterers. They work so well, and only need to be used for a week. Once the babies are a week old unless sickly they are very unlikely to drown in a waterer. It's those first two or three days I worry about. I use them religiously unless I can be with them most of the time. Night time is dangerous cause most of us need our sleep. I do hope this won't keep you down as you are a real breath of fresh air...Hay
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2011
8:24 AM

Post #8508629

That happened to me once too. The chick jumped into the water I had for the hen. It never occurred to me that he could get in there. Hopefully I learned a lesson.

The water had been there for her while she was on the eggs. When they were born I should have removed it. It was heartbreaking. I just have to say to myself, "I won't think about that." We cannot change the past. It's over.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2011
11:02 AM

Post #8508948

Thanks Guys I needed your thoughts and Hugs!
Haystack, Drown proof waterers? Have you got a link?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 20, 2011
8:14 PM

Post #8510092

Don't let your guard down with drown proof waterers.. I had one drown in it... My fault. it was too close to the wall.. the chick got stuck... Looked like it fell asleep there..

They are a LOT safer than a regular waterer though. I used them in the brooder.

They are also called quail waterers..
http://www.thechickenhutch.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=32
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8510522

Thank you ZZ
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 21, 2011
5:13 AM

Post #8510546

hm. I have one of those, but the chicks seemed to have difficulty getting to the water, they had to bend down and crook their necks so much. I'll re-visit the problem, maybe I was overly concerned that they wouldn't get enough from them. They can really drown in the wider ones, huh? I can see bowls and such (and especially buckets and troughs) but I thought the regular jar type chick waterers were okay. I shall find marbles, not worth chancing even the possibility.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 21, 2011
8:48 AM

Post #8510986

I'm so sorry for your loss Eufaula.. It is so hard to loose babiez. I hope you get a good hatch real soon. :(

Catmad, like Haystack says, it's just the first few days to a week that the danger is the highest.. They fall asleep so fast, it sounds crazy, but they do it often, especially the first week. The lil quail waterers are a bit of a pain, but they are a lot safer. Marbles really help too, as long as there are no deep pockets of water.
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 21, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8511014

ZZ's mentioned something I really think bears repeating, waterers should not be put up against the unit anywhere if possible, the babies like seclusion and often get squeezed in the cornor and then fall asleep and drown. It takes very little water to drown a baby and it is so painful when it happens. It's so difficult to cover all the bases but it's worth trying to prevent the loss of those precious little ones...Thanks for the reminder ZZ.s...Hay
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8511228

OH I did want to metion this. Poor chickopea! When I discovered her dead babies, she was standing over the drowned one, making the most pathetic broody , whimpering. I picked her up and she didnt even bother with her fluffing of broody feathers. She was so un-broody like and the pathetic low murmering she was making sounded as if she were really crying. I took inside the house and let her sit in my lap for a while then put her into a box where she stayed until I could put her in a pen with another Serama single Hen.
Shes doing well today and She now has her own Quarters. She will be retired as of today!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 21, 2011
10:55 AM

Post #8511246

Poor Chickopea, I'm glad you were able to console her.

I use the quail waterers too, and put them on a 2x6 wooden block. It seems to make drinking easier and keeps shavings out - somewhat.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
5:47 AM

Post #8513001

A heads up is always appreciated. I do raise my waterers, but will be very aware from now on.
Not that I'm planning on any more babies.

No, I will not discuss the tiny hen that is sitting quietly in a nest box. She's just resting.

And I didn't put two blue eggs in with her itsy bitsy eggs.

Nope, I didn't.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 22, 2011
6:00 AM

Post #8513031

Humph !
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 22, 2011
9:17 AM

Post #8513379

Catmad, your incorrigable. BAD GIRL!!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 22, 2011
9:19 AM

Post #8513382

- But she didn't do anything, she said so herself.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8513562

Thank you porkpal. You are my friend :)
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 22, 2011
11:53 AM

Post #8513565

Awww Catmad just has the "Caint Help Its"!!!
I forgot to mention, that I have a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte that went broody last week. We wont talk about her though, or the miscellaneous eggs she gleaned from all the girls in the Hen House, or the 3 guinea eggies that mysteriously found their way into her nest???????? Easter Bunny Maybe??
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 22, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8513571

THAT'S IT!!!!
IT'S THE EASTER BUNNY!!!

That explains the jellybeans, too...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

April 22, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8514312

Mystery solved!
Haystack
Ferndale, WA

April 22, 2011
8:46 PM

Post #8514415

Oh Porkpal, such an enabler...Shame...
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 23, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8514808

It will be interesting to watch for posts in three weeks.

My SO went to an auction Tuesday, and there were rabbits for sale. He was quite shocked to see an egg in one cage...

(grin)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
9:40 PM

Post #8518743

So sorry about the babies. They were so cute. I use the small waterers too and keep them in the middle of the brooder box.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 25, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8518982

Cat , where is Pelzer ? Not on our maps . I like to look for places our D G'ers are from .
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8519006

*G*. Maybe 97 people don't register. It's about halfway between Greenville and Anderson, at the juncture of state road 8 and state road 20, on the Saluda River. One side of 20 is Pelzer, the other West Pelzer. I don't even really live in Pelzer, but it's my mailing address. I'm on the other side of the Saluda River, in a diferent county. No, I don;t know why, either :)

At the risk of "more than you wanted to know"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelzer,_South_Carolina
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 25, 2011
10:19 AM

Post #8519201

I looked that up and it is on the map , just not listed in the back . You aren't that far and on the Georgia forum , Laurel , aka Maypop is having a R U the 25 of June . I hope Eufaula can come again and maybe you can join in .
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2011
12:42 PM

Post #8519510

Sounds like fun. I'll have to check it out...

Thanks for the thought!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
11:36 AM

Post #8530434

Well...Im back with some more sad news. Sweet Tater , Chickopeas daughter , has been sitting on at least 11 eggs, all Serama. The first hatched yesterday and was chirping up a storm when I got home, I decided to let it be and not disturb them. This morning it was dead. Chick #2 came today , but it died within an hour.
Now I know my birds are all pretty small, Chikopea being the smallest at 12 oz., her "Tater" rings in at 12 and 1/2 oz. the largest hen is just under 14 oz. The roos are all between 14 and 15 oz. So Im gonna say that the problem is definitely the "lethal gene". Both babies that died were white , as 3 of the possible Mama's are,the pops are multiclored, ( humor me here) so Im gonna assume that the babies were white like Mama and were probably roos . So Im not going to be sad about them dying.
So now we wait for the other 8or9 to get here ...I will not get my hopes up to high.
But this will kill my urge to try and raise anymore Seramas. I just do not have any luck with them.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8530448

Now "Lacey" my BLR Wyandotte, is still setting. She hasnt moved at all for 2 days so Im thinking there should be some results soon on her crazy assortment of mixed up babies. The only pure bloods will be Wyandottes, the rest ...welll lets just say,,,I have Wyandotte,Silkie, and Serama roos and a Guinea. The Hens shared her nest ,so I have no idea what we'll get, exceopt for the "Easter Bunny" delivery of 3 guinea eggs!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2011
11:43 AM

Post #8530449

Eufaula, have you checked for mites/lice recently? I know it's a long shot... a broody will attract them out of thin air it seems.. the babiez get infested really fast and it weakens them...

Other than that, I know a small bird is hard to get good babiez.. I have the same problem. Few eggs develop, and fewer hatch... I'm not leaving them to brood anymore, cause they need an expert mom.. or a bator.. which I'm totally against, but the tiny ones need more than a casual brooder like my Seramas.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
11:44 AM

Post #8530452

See... Heres "Summer" Welsummer, laying her egg right on top of Lacey!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
11:47 AM

Post #8530457

Yep, I had that problem when Chicopea was setting but I got a really good lice and mite powder and treated her and the broody Box. Then disinfected the box and dusted it before putting "Tater's" little box in it. ...so no buggies!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
11:52 AM

Post #8530469

...and of course lets not forget , "Chirpeak" my Guinea mommy! Hiding in the Briarpatch! She has around 14 eggs under her! I dont think All will hatch but we will see!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2011
11:55 AM

Post #8530477

Well, if you are sure Taters doesn't have mites.. I don't think there is much you can do.. The chicks don't need water or food for 24 hours, and if they fail before then, you can't really do anything about it. :(

Sugar water would perk them up temporarily, but it's mostly only used to give em some energy to get them to eat..

I'd have boiled egg yolk, electrolyte water paste ready for them if it were me.

Maybe someone else might have a suggestion.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8530497

I have been getting ready for them, boiled eggs and sugar water on my list, but they never even get dry before they die. They fought so hard getting out of the shells, that I just knew they were going to be strong babies. they never even get a chance to walk before dying .
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2011
1:19 PM

Post #8530582

Then it's out of your hands I think.. :( Unless you bring them in and force feed, but I don't think that's going to make a difference, they are not starving.. or dying from lack of nutrition.. :( So sad.. :(
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 30, 2011
1:26 PM

Post #8530590

I don't know what I'm talking about , but when they have piped good , would it hurt to help them out of the shell a bit or is that a no , no ?
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
3:48 PM

Post #8530813

Digger I have helped them outof the shell before and had good and bad results. Each time is different. This time the chicks came out on their own but just didnt live any longer than a couple of hours. So nutrition or dehydration is out, it has to be the lethal gene that some Seramas are born with.
Poor Chickopeas babies had to contend with cold weather and storms that disturbed Mom. Her first batch were put under her straight from the incu when the Electricity went out, they didnt have a chance.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8531265

Eufaula, do they get to free range daily?
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 30, 2011
7:31 PM

Post #8531281

ZZ...You know you may have hit the nail on the head! My Serama Flock ,Except for Chicopea, were in breeding pens for the winter. they didnt get to free range and have not had access to fresh greens or bugs! I only fed them layer and boiled eggs . I have been talking to some one about caged birds and they said I ought to give them Alfalfa pellets that have been soaked in water along with the layer and add the boiled eggs to it.
May be this is the problem I really havent a clue!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 1, 2011
4:08 AM

Post #8531654

Would free range adult make stronger babies in the egg ? Again , I know nothing of the subject , but , like a kid , don't know if I don't ask .
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2011
5:53 AM

Post #8531770

Digger that is a ligitimate question, as all are. I worried that maybe the eggs wouldnt be fertile, but that was not a problem it seems. I just dont know why these little guys have been so weak.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 1, 2011
7:16 AM

Post #8531937

I just can't get it through my thick head why they would live long enough to get out of the shell , then die so soon . THAT doesn't make sense to me .
Maybe someone from chicken research at Ga . Ag . knows . You know me , Lynn , I can't stand to have something die on me . Like you , so soft hearted .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 1, 2011
7:35 AM

Post #8531979

Lynn , I was just looking at something . The chicks that hatch and die , are they from the same hen ? Is it just the Seramas ?
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8532396

These were Seramas , digger. The eggs were from 6 different moms and two pops. Tater is just the only broody at this time.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2011
1:24 PM

Post #8532619

I am convinced not free ranging has something to do with it! I have no proof other than shipped Serama eggs... I was never able to hatch more than one or two until I got some free ranged eggs! Then I got great results.. the best ever.
My seramas haven't been out much either.. and I'm having the same hatching results you are.. :(
So yeah, it's not like it's a "stronger egg" but the lil things are so delicate as it is, I would bet big money on it though..

I have to stress that I have no scientific proof.. nothing to go by other than my experience. If you read about hatching, you will see that feeding is a huge factor in breeding/hatching... Although you may be feeding them the best feed money can buy.. it's not what they can get from good ole Mother Earth.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2011
4:32 PM

Post #8532981

Well I believe it! between not getting enough fresh air and good green grass and live natural protein (bugs) that would be equivalent to a human mother to be sitting in the house and not going out in the fresh air to excersize and not eating right... the baby just will not thrive!
Now that Ive thought about this... no more egg setting until the parents have been properly conditioned!!
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8545738

Well I finally have some good news! "Sweet Tater" finally hatched one little baby! It hatched out day before yesterday , but I was afraid to take any photos for fear it wouldnt make it like the rest. Its doing okay though! The only problem with this little Serama is that its left eye is glued shut. I wont handle it too much yet, still waiting for it to actually start eating and drinking regularly. It drinks very well but still would rather just fall to sleep wherever it stands. Mama Tater is taking really good care of it.

This message was edited May 7, 2011 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 7, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8545750

It has really good lungs! You can hear it way before youever get into the barn! So it looks as if I will have another white Hen or maybe a white roo which I dont have right now!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 7, 2011
10:34 AM

Post #8545778

That is just precious , how many total total do you have now ? In the whole flock ?
porkpal
Richmond, TX

May 7, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8545779

Awww! Such a cutie!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 7, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8546149

Could that be Penguin's brother or sister? Sure has the face! Congrats!! Hope he is okay.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 8, 2011
4:26 PM

Post #8548220

So Far So Good!!!! It has learned to watch its Mama and is eating and drinking really good, it even will go to the waterer( with flat marbles in it) and drink whenever its thirsty.
Digger I believe the count is;
3 (Silkie trio)
3 dark brahmas
2 Buff o
2 (pair BLRWyandottes)
1 wyandotteXOrp
3 Plymouth BR's
2 Penciled Wyandottes (I think)
1 Lavender Splash Cochin bantam
5 Serama Roos
7 Serama Hens
1 Serama Baby
That makes thirty

Thanks ZZ and porkpal.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 8, 2011
4:39 PM

Post #8548244

Wonderful Oofie . Your family is sure growing . Love it .
Big Sissy
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8549569

Oofie? How cute is that!!?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 9, 2011
8:39 AM

Post #8549629

Yeah , I know . We are best friends and I couldn't spell Eufaula for the longest . It became Oofie and it stuck with me . I forget to call her Lynn or Eufaula sometimes and it comes out Oofie . Sorta a pet or nickname . LOL
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 9, 2011
2:28 PM

Post #8550397

Love it!! :)
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 9, 2011
4:19 PM

Post #8550644

It fits her .
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8551651

OH HOOOoo! ZZ she forgot to tell you that she just dropped off the G in front!!! LOL!!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 10, 2011
5:23 AM

Post #8551691

oofie. Well , I just spell checked it and it can't spell it either .
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2011
11:13 AM

Post #8552358

It went right over your head! I meant to say that your oofie really was supposed to be "Goofie" ...silly rabbit!
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

May 10, 2011
12:07 PM

Post #8552520

No it didn't . I wanted to see if it needed a G and it didn't , they couldn't spell it either . HAH , you ain't so smart . Gotcha !
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8553030

Hey ZZ, just getting this little baby to hold still for a good "wing" shot is almost impossible.
So what do you think... do we have a "Sweet Pea" or a "Sugar Pop"

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8553044

Here it is exploring its new brooder pen with mama.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2011
4:07 PM

Post #8553075

They are beautiful, esp the coloring on the hen. Congratulations.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2011
4:31 PM

Post #8553152

That is a sweet pea wing for sure! Doesn't work well with Seramas though.. Without another one the same age, there is no way to guess...

I have a loner baby that I am just now realizing it is a she.. She is broody with her mom and her Aunt Gina! Crazy cause she is only a month old.. LOL My coops have been vandalized so much, a lot of mine are going broody. :(
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2011
5:03 PM

Post #8553239

Vandalized? Did I miss something somewhere?
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 10, 2011
9:56 PM

Post #8553863

My chickens are not on my property, I had to move in with mom to care for her.. and now the kids are terrorizing my chickens and leaving gates open, dumping things out, etc. Yeah, it's been a living hell the last couple weeks. If I catch who is doing it, I'm calling the Sheriff. That is private property, no one has any business getting in there.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
4:50 AM

Post #8554098

Oh, I know how that is. This may sound silly, but just putting a sticker up or sign that says Video 24/7 really seems to help. Stats are that saying the property has video cameras or an alarm system cuts down on burglaries 70%, even if you have no cameras or alarm.

I like the sticker with the gun pointing out that says "Property owner does NOT dial 911", not that I would ever buy that sign, I just find it humorous. :) I have warning stickers on every window of my house.

My vacant duplex by the park gets vandalized quite often. The hispanics have just taken over that area and the young boys and teens run in packs. So, I do understand the problem. Which reminds me I need to go back over there, maybe this morning, and finish mowing and picking up trash.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2011
11:46 AM

Post #8554978

I tried that once, but everyone knows it's so far away from power or our house, it's impossible.

I am going to put a sign up saying the property owner does not dial 911 that's a good one!! LOL
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 11, 2011
1:44 PM

Post #8555201

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=" dial 911"&_sacat=0&_odkw="not dial 911"&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=1

Here are the ones on ebay.

wren107

wren107
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 11, 2011
3:36 PM

Post #8556110

there are fake cameras with lights that blink and there are battery powered movement light.
Check Amazon you can find a lot of them.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 12, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8557123

"My Rottweiler can make it to the fence in 2.7 seconds. Can you?"

That's my favorite. No-one actually knows that the ferocious looking Rotti sitting under it would rather not be bothered...
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2011
3:53 PM

Post #8558638

Okay , here are acouple more photos of my one little chickie baby. The thread is getting a little long and has completed its mission. My little girl ( hopefully) is very healthy and is growing in the most gorgeous wing feathers now.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2011
3:56 PM

Post #8558640

Little "Sweet Pea" doing the "Chicken Dance!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 12, 2011
3:59 PM

Post #8558648

...and finally,A Mother and Daughter Protrait.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Lazarpl
Tulsa, OK

May 12, 2011
9:48 PM

Post #8559384

Eufaula, what a beautiful picture! It looks like they both posed just for the camera!

This thread has been so very interesting... I'm considering raising Seramas to keep inside my house (like in a fish tank) instead of regular hens to keep out in a pen/coop, will avoid some problems like mice and rats!! Also severe winter weather and 24" snow at times. Will have to find out more about raising Seramas, though... "Mr. Google" doesn't give very much info about them. They sound like everything has to be miniaturized. Are there any good books on raising Seramas??

Do they survive shipment by mail very well as chicks??
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

May 13, 2011
11:20 AM

Post #8560451

Ask Haystack about them. He is Mr. Serama.
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2011
12:15 PM

Post #8560544

Sorry lazarpl, I just checked in again while on break here at work. There is a lot of info out there about Seramas and I learn something new every day. but until you actually start raising them you wont get it! they are so sweet and tiny and they do love people. Even though sometimes you have an ocasional little "pickle" with an attitude!
Cajun is right , good ole' Haystack has been in it for quite a while with these precious pets. He can pretty much answer anything you want to know and if he cant ZZ's can. I know a little and I am still learning so I will we happy to jump in whenever I can!
Lazarpl
Tulsa, OK

May 13, 2011
12:21 PM

Post #8560551

Thanks, Eufaula and Cajun.
I found Pixiechicks.com on Google, and asked her when she might have some birds for sale. Haven't heard back yet.

I think Haystack should write a book on raising Seramas! Maybe with help from ZZ and you, Eufaula~!
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 14, 2011
10:09 AM

Post #8562383

I don't recommend keeping them in the house.. I know people do it, but I think it's cruel. They are almost as hardy as other chickens given special shelter from the severe cold.. I'm just against any chicken not getting to eat dirt and bugs.. I'm sorry.. It's just me.

I'm in California, so mine never see weather. I know Haystack has lost some in severe weather.. He would know more about that than me for sure.

I don't know that Seramas need any special care! I have 3 roos in with my full size layers and I have no problems at all. I only have one breeding pen for seramas now.

If you learn about general care, you've learned about Seramas in my opinion! Just watch out, they are addicting.. Just ask Hay!! LOL
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8572677

heres an update on little "Sweetpea" She has gotten almost all her wing feathers in now. Shes definitely not going to be all white~!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8572697

Oh yes I thought Id give an update on Miss Chickopea too! Well retirement didnt suit her, she is determined to have her own babies! So she and Copperjack have a nest of eggies and we will see what we shall see. fingers crossed!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 18, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8572780

Crossing fingers with you. She sure picked an unusual nest LOL
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

May 18, 2011
8:45 PM

Post #8572974

Both precious pictures. Thanks for sharing.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 19, 2011
4:13 AM

Post #8573210

Why, it's a lovely nest, for sure! I think the color is especially complimentary to her. The girl has style:)
Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 19, 2011
4:42 AM

Post #8573252

Oh I have looked everywhere for these terracotta planters. My Serama girls just love the privacy these planters give them. But of course Chicopeas sense of color and decor are impeccable!
AnnieBBB

(Zone 5b)

May 19, 2011
6:03 AM

Post #8573383

LOL, yup, she has class.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America