Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Aunt Bett, Poke Sallit, and the Asphidity Bag: poke plant and asphidity

Communities > Forums > Article: Aunt Bett, Poke Sallit, and the Asphidity Bag
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aunt Bett, Poke Sallit, and the Asphidity BagReplies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mipeach58
South Bend, IN

April 5, 2011
10:11 AM

Post #8473681

Oh My Goodness!!! You can't imagine how much i enjoyed this article (you have a fan in this reader) I thought my family was the only one who had to suffer through that horrible asphidity...before her passing we used to jokingly call my mom clara mae, md. mountain dr. I was so afraid of the mixture because of stories she shared w/us and i did'nt want her to give it to my kids. I actually went to a local really old pharmacist years ago who told me it was actually a very strong hallucinogenic. Mom mixed it with "Old Crow" whiskey to be taken a tbs at a time. Believe me if you thought the smell was horrendous...even when i did'nt feel well I never complained cause i knew a dose was next. I had no idea poke sallit is the name, I always refered to it as poke salad...mom taught me (and all of her grand kids) how to identify it. Of course i am the only one that cooks it. The recipe is almost the same as your auntie except moms recipe adds mushrooms, eggs, and green onions. I cook it every spring/summer. I am going to share with the kids the dye, using the berries. and the 100 proof recipe (i'll keep that to myself) my mom would have had me make it for sure. She passed 6 months aga at 79. She came from louisiana at 3 yrs old and settled in michigan where she raised us. we are an african american family...It goes to show that people that are raised close to the earth, no matter who they are or where they are from share alot of the same stories and habits (smile)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8474415

Mipeach!! What a great letter, thank you so much. You are right, the truth is those of us who were raised off the land and taught to respect its bounty are all the same, no matter who or where we are. We were lucky, weren't we?

I'm so sorry you lost your mother, but she left you with such great knowledge, you should be proud. And you will teach your children, too.

And life comes full circle.

Best to you, my friend.
Thank you again.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aunt Bett, Poke Sallit, and the Asphidity Bag Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So evocative of a lost time Zuzu 44 Apr 6, 2011 3:14 PM
Thank you! imapigeon 10 Apr 13, 2008 1:40 AM
Enchanting herbalbetty 2 Mar 8, 2008 12:41 AM
Shar, you are brilliant! flowerhead410 3 Apr 4, 2011 5:24 PM
Asphidity Dollykat 3 Apr 4, 2011 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America