Muscari (grape hyacinths)

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I used to have lots of them many years ago when I lived in another part of town. But I was just looking at the selection al Scheepers and I see they have many more colors than I remember. I especially like the lighter blues. Probably because they are different.

If you have grape hyacinths, do you like them? I know they love to spread. Any one have any of the newer colors? Mine always used to be the common medium dark blue.

Taylorsville, KY

I put them on the edge of perennial bed--light blue and the "regular" blue ones. This was probably 3-4 Falls ago and I think I am going to dig them up. I don't like that they always have foliage on them. I then get stuff that seeds within the foliage and have to fight to get the weeds out. I figured they would act like my spring daffodils. That is, after a few weeks the foliage would die back and then there would be nothing there until next Spring. They are sweet though and I have a few in a tiny vase but mine are probably gone....if I had it to do over again, I would put them somewhere where the foliage wouldn't bother me. This is right up front in my best bed by the house...kim

Mine used to be in amoungst my lawn. Maybe should be there again. I don't remember how long the folliage lasts, it's been too long since I have had them. But it's a spring bulb. The folliage must die down for the summer.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

The foliage does die down in the summer then in the fall it comes back up. In the spring it greens up and the flowers come up. I have a lot of the old blue color. Just added a light blue last fall and it is just getting ready to bloom. I bought them in the fall coop with Sunshine (I think).

Muscaris are very useful for marking the spots where other bulbs can go dormant because their foliage re-emerges in the fall. This way, I don't accidentally dig out the Narcissi and tulips I want to keep in the ground. My muscaris spread like rabbits in the full sun and every fall, I have to transplant some. Other than the dark violet variety, I love the white ones and the light blue Valerie Finnis. I got my mixture from Scheeper's.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

'Valerie Finnis' is the muscari that I bought and planted last year. It's a very light blue color. It is just putting up blooms now so when the blooms are full, I'll post a picture.

Marble Hill, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the flowers, but in my experience the foliage grows out early in the fall and hangs around the entire winter and only seem to die down when temps are in the 80s.

Here's a picture I took of a clump in a very well tended garden -- I think they raked the leaves forward -- in my yard the foliage gets messy looking very quickly so the only place I have it now is in a bed of plumbago that hides it.

If you can live with a grassy clump for 9 months out of the year then go for it.

Thumbnail by jxmas
Taylorsville, KY

I'm with you jxmas......I cut some of the flowers this past weekend and they look lovely among my yellow daffodil bouquets so I was feeling kinda bad about dissing them but, all in all, I think they're not worth the rattiness the rest of the year. I would recommend putting them with something like you said that would "hide" that foliage. I have them on the edge of one of my beds so they're always in my face--I love your photo b/c it shows exactly what I mean....thanks...kim

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I put up with the foliage because I enjoy the color in the spring. After they finish blooming I cut back the spent blooms and unsightly foliage.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

A year later (less 3 weeks!) and look how they have multiplied!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

Oh my gosh. I loved the way it looks in the 2011 picture but oh wow for the 2012 pictures. Really, really looks grand.

I had though to order but I never did get any grape hyacynths last fall so I still don't have any.

Well, no Muscari in my garden yet but I am planning on adding some this fall. Will just put them in with my Scheepers order. Going to get Muscari latifolium which has the top of the spike lighter blue and the lower half is deep violet-blue. Then also going to get Muscari aucheri Ocean Magic that has a deep cobalt-blue base which blends into white tips. Going to mix the two varieties together and plant like that.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

It sounds beautiful. Over the years I've bought several different varieties, but over time,. they all seem to look the same.

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

I have wanted to plant muscari for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it.

LeawoodGardener, when you said you cut back the foliage, what exactly do you mean? Do you cut it completely off, or just "neaten"?

TIA,
Katherine

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

LeawoodGardener - I love your photos!

I don't really have a problem with my muscari. I guess the heat takes care of the foliage and causes the foliage to die back shortly after the Naked Ladies.

Dawn

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Katherine! The foliage gets pretty bedragled looking about now, but I leave it on until about the first of June, then cut it off (to the ground) to tidy up the bed. I plant annuals around the border for summer color. By fall, the Muscari leaves start to emerge and the cycle begins again.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

LOVE Muscari! They present no problems for me. I like when they pop up randomly out of where I planted them. I assume wind or birds scatter them occasionally.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I have to agree with Leawood that over time all my muscari seem to revert to the plain darker purple species variety. I tried those lighter blue ones, but now I just have white and purple. Whether the blue ones reverted, or just died out, I'm not sure. I do really love the latifolium, I buy fresh bulbs every fall for my window box, so I'm not sure if those revert eventually.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I planted a hundred of the Muscari latifolium last fall to see how they'd look. I really liked the two-tone color but was surprised at how different the foliage was from the armeniacum. I guess I should report back how it looks through the summer. I think I'll wait to see how well they come back next spring, then add another couple hundred to add more color to the bed. Unfortunately, I didn't take many pics of them, but here are a couple:

Thumbnail by Eleven Thumbnail by Eleven

Very different! But those sure are pretty!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Bring on the Muscari! Mine have just started to bloom - they will be spectacular in a few days. I love the 'river of blue' that flows through my garden in spring!

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I've planted different varieties over the years, but through cross-pollination (I guess) they are all the same now. I love the way they self-seed into the crevices in the stone path and rock border. It gives a very casual feel to the garden.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener

That does look very pretty.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Muscari are at their peak right now.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Two weeks ago the Muscari were full. Now the only purple flowers are the violets, but the lilies have broker through, so we're looking forward not backward. The tulips have started to open but alas, the tulips with the striping on the foliage are nowhere to be seen.

Wyoming, MN

My muscari haven't even peeked yet, let alone peaked!

Gary

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a few muscari..some which I am unsure of their names, mostly received from swaps here and at home.
But then I seen the 'Dark Eyes' and bought a few. I think I also bought the one with a tuff or tassel.
Last fall I bought 100 'Valerie Finnis' and 100 'Pink Sunrise'.... I did share a few of these....but not many.

Still waiting to see them, I planted a few types of bulbs last year: muscari, allium, rock iris, daffs, probably a few I can't think of their names right now. The Puschkinia are just starting to bloom, a couple R. iris. Lots of growth on the muscari so it shouldn't be long. It's my first planting on the little ridge that runs behind my house, I enriched the soil a little added bonemeal and a bulb rated feed, what else do you think I could do to make these a success.

LeawoodGardener.. your pictures are wonderful, I wish I could see your garden thoughout the seasons. You have pines, do you do anything for your muscari or just use the mulch. I dont have my beds mulched yet, I have been reading on stone mulching. I just moved to pines, so I'm trying to learn what is what about soils, plant choices and their care etc, any advise would be great.

Any advise from any one who gardens around pines would be nice. Is there a forum on this sort of stuff?

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I have a couple spruce trees - a 'Skyland' bi colored and a contorted pine, and three 'Boulevard' cypress. All are located in my border garden. If you look at some of my other posts, you'll see them in most seasons. I just let the muscari go and they are rampant, self-seeding in the bed and in the cracks in the path. I use mulch in the beds, but I don't usually cover the muscari. I hope this helps.

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Thank you for responding Leawood Gardener, I feel a little more sure of success now.
That I was correct in my selections, the ridge is a dryer land and I had noticed other land
of the same make up, produce several bulb type plants quite well. These I am sure, are not tended
gardens. My soil seems fair but lacking in Nitrogen...I have decided on a urea suppliment for the beds
and a possible planting of clover to enrich the yards...once this has its chance to work its improvements
I would love to see muscari speckled and waved thoughout the land.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I'd give them a try, if I were you. The are very hardy and not too particular about soil and care. They are also inexpensive, so scatter them with abandon and you might be surprised with the results. In my experience, you'll see them multiply every year.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Somehow I was surprised to find that after I said the muscari were finished, new ones bloomed, about twice the size of the others. The are just dying down now.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

cathy166, you probably are growing one called Muscari armeniacum Saffier which blooms later and is bigger. Mine are out now. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

ok, 2 questions about flowers in the background. Leawood - what is the yellow/lime mixed in with your muscari? And bbrookrd, what is that beautiful yellow blooming in front of your muscari?

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

The muscari are at the front, with yellow tulips next, then iris and daylilies (or hostas, in the shadier areas). I cut off the muscari and tulips yesterday - here's how it looks now.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

no, from your April 17 photos, the third photo from the left, what are those yellow/lime colored flowers?

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh! That's the bloom on the succulent I planted along the little stone wall along walkway. It has self-seeded along the path and blooms in the spring.

East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

Just remember this post.....

Have to share, hope for better pictures soon (the date stamp from my camera is incorrect these were planted fall 2012 and are in their second year)

Thumbnail by elfenqueen Thumbnail by elfenqueen Thumbnail by elfenqueen
East Tawas, MI(Zone 5b)

oops should have told you..... they are the Pink Sunrise Muscari. . . Looking light in the pic's but I'll get a better shot.

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

Have to share mine this year

Thumbnail by cindyeo Thumbnail by cindyeo
South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Here's a photo of my mailbox.

Thumbnail by SPGardens

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images