Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Carolina Gardening: Any one know anything about sugar cane???

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2011
10:50 AM

Post #8476064

I bought some sugar cane last fall and over wintered it in my garage planting it a few weeks ago in the ground. Any one know how long it takes to start growing and what do the new sprouts look like??? I have some weeds growing in around where I planted the cane and I don't want to pull anything because i"m afraid I may be pulling up the cane.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

April 12, 2011
10:41 AM

Post #8490332

It just looks like a corn stalk to me. Dad had some when I was growing up he would cut a peice and we would put it in our mouth and shuck on it. The next year he did syrup cane.

Lavina
chinabitbit
Fridley, MN
(Zone 4b)

April 13, 2011
4:59 AM

Post #8492243

Did you plant the canes in a horizontal position? They usually do not grow if planted upright. Takes about 2- 3 weeks to see growth.
keonikale
Lexington, SC
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2011
10:56 AM

Post #8492849

I've left mine in the ground they usually look like a sharp blade of grass (or corn as noted). I cut many of the tops off my canes last year and put the in water, they all sprouted and I was able to put those in the ground this year vertically; I'll see how those do since I had previously only planted them horizontally. But these had roots, so I think they'll do OK.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 21, 2011
4:15 PM

Post #8511893

I planted the cane horizontally about 4 ft long. It already had little "buds" on it but I have yet to see anything come up. It in a dry spot in my yard so maybe it's just not getting enough water, we will see it's hot enough now so ...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America