Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Any one know anything about sugar cane???

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I bought some sugar cane last fall and over wintered it in my garage planting it a few weeks ago in the ground. Any one know how long it takes to start growing and what do the new sprouts look like??? I have some weeds growing in around where I planted the cane and I don't want to pull anything because i"m afraid I may be pulling up the cane.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

It just looks like a corn stalk to me. Dad had some when I was growing up he would cut a peice and we would put it in our mouth and shuck on it. The next year he did syrup cane.

Fridley, MN(Zone 4b)

Did you plant the canes in a horizontal position? They usually do not grow if planted upright. Takes about 2- 3 weeks to see growth.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I've left mine in the ground they usually look like a sharp blade of grass (or corn as noted). I cut many of the tops off my canes last year and put the in water, they all sprouted and I was able to put those in the ground this year vertically; I'll see how those do since I had previously only planted them horizontally. But these had roots, so I think they'll do OK.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I planted the cane horizontally about 4 ft long. It already had little "buds" on it but I have yet to see anything come up. It in a dry spot in my yard so maybe it's just not getting enough water, we will see it's hot enough now so ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.