Any one know anything about sugar cane???

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I bought some sugar cane last fall and over wintered it in my garage planting it a few weeks ago in the ground. Any one know how long it takes to start growing and what do the new sprouts look like??? I have some weeds growing in around where I planted the cane and I don't want to pull anything because i"m afraid I may be pulling up the cane.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

It just looks like a corn stalk to me. Dad had some when I was growing up he would cut a peice and we would put it in our mouth and shuck on it. The next year he did syrup cane.

Lavina

Fridley, MN(Zone 4b)

Did you plant the canes in a horizontal position? They usually do not grow if planted upright. Takes about 2- 3 weeks to see growth.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I've left mine in the ground they usually look like a sharp blade of grass (or corn as noted). I cut many of the tops off my canes last year and put the in water, they all sprouted and I was able to put those in the ground this year vertically; I'll see how those do since I had previously only planted them horizontally. But these had roots, so I think they'll do OK.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I planted the cane horizontally about 4 ft long. It already had little "buds" on it but I have yet to see anything come up. It in a dry spot in my yard so maybe it's just not getting enough water, we will see it's hot enough now so ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.