-
AuthorContent
prettyblueyes
Parker, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 6, 2011
3:13 PM

Post #8476535

Last summer, my DH and I built a 6 foot across flower bed around our yard light. Our yard light is one of the first things you see when coming up our driveway so we thought it would be a good place for a flower bed to add some "curb appeal". Being new to flowers and such, I think that we made a mistake putitng a flower bed here. We did not put anything in it since it was the end of July when we finished it.

It is in full sun until 5pm. The yard light is on all night long and there are TONS of bugs around it at night. Alot of what we call June Bugs, but I think they are actually May beetles.

So, do you think that anything will work in this flower bed? I would prefer perrenials over annuals, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!
Cassie
Zone 5
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 6, 2011
8:32 PM

Post #8477378

Not from your neck of the woods but if you can grow ornamental grasses, lots can take those conditions and may look quite attractive and architectural under the light with the shapes, shadows and all.
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 6, 2011
11:52 PM

Post #8477530

Why do you think it was a mistake? Because of the bugs? What kind of soil to you have? Is it a 6 foot circle?
prettyblueyes
Parker, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 7, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8478846

I think it was a mistake because of all the bugs. I am not sure what type of soil I have. It is dark loose soil. We built a house and it is from the many piles of dirt we have. I am planning on putting down some bags of garden soil in the bed. It is a 6 foot round circle.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 7, 2011
3:55 PM

Post #8478980

Dark and loose sounds good.
If it is bugs that are attracted to the lights - don't worry about it. I'd love to have the june bugs "go to the light" and leave my plants alone! Those bugs are seasonal anyway.

I bet when you are done your area will look great and it will be a lot of fun for you and build confidence in what you can do.

Go to a local nursery and ask for help regarding perennials that will grow in your area in the sun etc. etc. and also fill in with some annuals that you can change up seasonally.
MiniPonyFarmer
Gilmer, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 9, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8483841

To answer your question about what might take a lot of sun--here are a few perennials:

Coneflower
Liatris
Shasta Daisy 'Alaska'
Dianthus
Roses
Rudbeckia
Salvia
Veronica
Irises
Tiger Lilies
Gaura
Penstemon
prettyblueyes
Parker, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 11, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8487126

Thanks for the list!

My mom had given me some daffodil bulbs last fall and I tucked them under the porch to get to another day. I forgot all about them. I found them this weekend. Some of them were a foot tall! They were just in a bucket, no dirt, no water, nothing!

So, I planted them in the ground. I also started some zinnia seeds and am planning on doing daylilies also.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 11, 2011
8:28 AM

Post #8487466

Grasses do well in Kansas, lemon grass, for one, rosemary is a fragrant blooming tuff plant, type of rosemary depends on ht/shape it will have. Those June bugs stink something fierce when in piles dying, yuck. but they are also drawn to going dormant in your lawn, esp under oaks. Look for info on Japanese Beetles, you may want to treat your lawn...
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 12, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8491532

Can you grow blue star amsonia? The plants are so nice with the tiny bright blueflowers on long green leafed stalks. But best of all come autunm...the plants
stalks and leaves glow..a hot amber yellow. Very full and bushy, like the smoke tree it makes full bodied stalk a furry autumn, treat. Architectural. I think i have seeds from last year.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011 10:41 PM
prettyblueyes
Parker, KS
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2011
1:41 PM

Post #8493210

Missingrosie--I had never heard of that plant before. So I googled it, very interesting plant! I really like the looks of it. I think it said that it would grow in zone 5-8, I am in zone 5b.
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

April 13, 2011
9:34 PM

Post #8494274

I think i have seeds. Send me a d mail and I will send you seeds
Lu
cntryrocks
Princeton, KS

April 18, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8504997

Hi there. I live not too far from where you live so I thought I would list a few that I grow easily in our area.

Knockout shrub roses
*Purple coneflower--Magnus, Ruby Star, Bravada, White Swan
*Marshall's Delight beebalm
*Raspberry Wine beebalm
*May Night salvia
Butterfly bush--I love butterfly bush.
Autumn Joy Sedem (stonecrop)
Cleome (annual but will reseed)
*Goldsturm Rudbekia (black eyes susan)
Walker's Low catmint
Russian sage
Wine and Roses weigela (shrub)
Spirea, little princess and fire light (small shrub)

* self-spreading perennials

The above comprises a list of very easy to grow perennials for our area. Just plant them, keep the weeds out, and they will thrive. No need to even water once established.

Also, ornamental grasses would look very nice with all the above. Another consideration would be putting something up the light pole for a perennial climbing vine. I love Goldflame honeysuckle.

The daffodils will look very pretty, but will only bloom for a short period in early spring.

This message was edited Apr 18, 2011 8:44 PM
MonnieBC
Mays Landing, NJ

May 7, 2011
4:49 AM

Post #8545204

I put in a new flower bed between house and the side walkway... and telling you my mistakes so you dont repeat them:
1. No contrast in shape, everything was a low mounding flower. Put in day lilies and allium to fix that.
2.Nothing in winter. Put in ornamental grasses, a trellis with an evergreen vine (a hardy jessamine) and dwarf globe boxwood. Just saw at a local nursery a dwarf pyramid boxwood , a very nice shape.
patti47
Lynnwood, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2011
8:42 AM

Post #8547569

What came to mind for me was how the plants in that area would never have darkness. The bugs attracted to the light did not strike me as the challenge. I'm more wondering if some plants will suffer from 24 hours of light.
sakon6

May 18, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8571062

missingrosie wrote:Dark and loose sounds good.
If it is bugs that are attracted to the lights - don't worry about it. I'd love to have the june bugs "go to the light" and leave my plants alone! Those bugs are seasonal anyway.

I bet when you are done your area will look great and it will be a lot of fun for you and build confidence in what you can do.

Go to a local nursery and ask for help regarding perennials that will grow in your area in the sun etc. etc. and also fill in with some annuals that you can change up seasonally.

That's Cool. Good idea.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America