Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Water Gardens: Suggstions for new natural pond?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 6, Views: 55
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2011
10:32 AM

Post #8480603

It looks like in a few weeks, we'll be moving to a new home and one of the most exciting and challenging features will be in our front yard. The picture below is blurry - we took it back in December from inside the house - it's the view from the upstairs.

The dimensions of the pond will rise and fall with the rainfall. (We haven't yet figure out if there's also a spring feeding it but there's another larger pond on the property adjacent to this one, and then a creek beyond that, so my guess is there's some water source besides just rainfall.)

We want to do a few things with the pond starting this summer:

1. Build a small floating or piered fishing dock, in scale with the pond. (Probably no bigger than 8x12 or 8x16.)

2. Add plants. As far as I can tell, there are only cattails in there now. I've got a couple tubs of waterlilies to take with me, plus Louisiana Irises that will be happy on the edge of the pond, and some sedge. But I could use some other suggestions for full sun, clay soil, and mostly boggy conditions - from shrubs to perennials and grasses to groundcovers. :-)

3. Add fish if it appears that it will stay deep enough to support them all summer

4. Put a fountain in it for aeration (and aesthetics) - that will have to wait until we can get an electrician to get electricity run out there.

So, any tips or advice from those who have a natural pond to tend? We've had ponds for several years now, but they've always been rigid or flexible lined ponds, and not nearly this big.

Thumbnail by Terry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 8, 2011
12:05 PM

Post #8480782

My oh my, do you have a project. How utterly neat!!! How deep is it? I get my koi from a fellow in Kentucky and he keeps his fish in a pond just like yours. And you have your own creek?? My dream is 'a river running through'. My in laws in Michigan had a house with a wonderful creek in the back hard. No neighbors to speak of with trees hanging over and fish. I just loved it. so peaceful. And 10 degrees cooler in the back with the creek and trees than in the front.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 8, 2011
12:31 PM

Post #8480832

To be honest, we don't know how deep it is. I think we're gonna have to get some hipwaders and plunge in, but not until we've signed the papers and it is ours, "lock, stock and barrel."

I'd love to have some goldfish or koi, but we may hold off on introducing any fish until we've gone through a summer and see how shallow it goes when we get a few weeks without rain - there's no sense in buying and killing a bunch of fish if it dries up too much to support them. There's a rock-lined inlet area to the right-side of this picture, and that's where the runoff water enters.

The house sits on a little over an acre and a half and is surrounded by farms - to the left of the pond is a farm with emus, cattle, chicken, ducks, sheep and goats. Across the road (beyond the pond) is a horse pasture. To the right of the pond is another home (and they apparently have free-range chickens), and the house beyond them has a fenced area with sheep.

This should be interesting...like living on a farm without the chores of feeding or cleaning up after all the animals. And I suspect I'll be able to snag any kind of animal manure I could want just by visiting one of the neighbors :-)
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 4b)

April 8, 2011
12:47 PM

Post #8480854

Your new home sounds like my idea of heaven, minus the horrible heat. Anything above 72F and 50% humidity and I just die. Lived in Paris TN for three months from Feb to June and that was all I could handle. Almost went to the University of Kentucky one time but fate intervened and I ended up coming back to Alaska. Graduated from UAF instead.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 8, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8481187

Terry -

It looks wonderful... smart idea to see what happens to your waterlevels before introducing any fish.
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2011
11:47 PM

Post #8484295

From the looks of that water it appears shallow-ish due to the lack of incline. Be concerned about chemical run-off from neighbors. Also, there might even be fish in that water-dropped in from birds. Remember any area can be dug deeper to hold more water if you want it to.

In my neighborhood we have a lot of water areas similar to yours and they support a lot of hardy waterlillys which look pretty in summer. Only one neighbor has a larger and deeper runoff area that supports fish (not koi but sport fish like small mouth bass) and she aerates the pond. Her water area slopes quite a bit more and is about 10 feet deep in the center. it is feed by all the drainage of the neighborhood. It's quite lovely.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 10, 2011
4:33 AM

Post #8484397

Good points - thanks! My husband went out yesterday afternoon to try to find the boundary pins (a fence for the back yard is among our first orders of business.)

He talked to one of the neighbors, who said the pond got pretty low last summer. Of course, WE got pretty dry last summer. After the infamous May floods (we're just outside Nashville) - I think we went close to 6 weeks without rain.. Another reason to probably hold off on fish for now. And that's a good point - if it dries up, that would be a good time to make it deeper :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America