Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Handyman: How often must I shake paint cans?

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 9, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2011
12:28 PM

Post #8480824

How often must I have the paint store shake paint cans? I have a 10-12 day lapse from the time I had the paint shook til I was able to get to the project. Is stirring w/ paint stick sufficient?
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 8, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8481067

Stirring with a paint stick is sufficient, but a small investment at the local big box store will get you a small "squirrel cage" mixer that you put on the end of a drill. It takes a lot of time and trouble off and no trips back to the paint store.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 8, 2011
3:01 PM

Post #8481074

I saw those mixers but did not investigate. While we are on the subject, paint, are there any sprayers on the market for the DIY not for walls but projects like painting furniture? Nothing much over $50 - $75.??
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2011
5:44 AM

Post #8482261

Hate to tell you anastatia, but I've had no luck at all with inexpensive paint sprayers. I think they're a waste of money. For painting furniture, I've resorted to aerosol paints. If you can find an acceptable color, they work fine; especially if you buy a trigger adaptor to use with them. Spread a tarp outside and have at it.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 9, 2011
8:11 AM

Post #8482569

I agree, I'd go with spray paint for the furniture. It's cheap and comes in a ton of colors and they have ones for pretty much every kind of surface these days.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2011
8:56 AM

Post #8482677

Sherwin-Williams can put oil based paint in spray cans @ a cost. I considered this but after adding the $ for the 4 chairs and table decided otherwise. I spray painted the primer on the chairs using brand X from Home Depot. I have a not-too-expensive paint sprayer in my garage that worked well for 30 min. 4-5 yrs ago and was hoping there was a new sprayer out that was worth the investment. If there was no bottom line what fun I could have . . .

Every summer I pull that lousy paint sprayer out to the lawn thinking I will get it to work.
jkochan
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 9, 2011
10:01 AM

Post #8482846

You sound like someone who likes projects. A small compressor and a jar type spray gun is a great tool for small projects. You can pick up good deals on Craigs' List for pancake style compressors or check out Harbor Freight Tools on line. It's not real high quality equipment, but for home projects they last long enough to pay for themselves if you take care of them. The pot sprayers allow you to change colors and the detailing sprayers allow you to work in small batches.
FrillyLily
springfield area, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 9, 2011
1:27 PM

Post #8483188

you usually add a little water or thinner to paint used in a sprayer. You should spray two or three very thin layers. Same with spray paint cans too, just light even layers. Too much will run, or look thick.

You might consider using a sponge or ragging technique if you don't like the brush strokes. You could also distress, or use a splatter pattern.
Stirring your paint w a stick is ok, but I like to put the lid on tight and physically shake it up well.

Of course you could also do what Red would do...

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/the-red-green-show-mixing-paint/388d34109fe3ba6790ae388d34109fe3ba6790ae-635739046055?q=red+green+show+paint+shaker&FROM=LKVR5>1=LKVR5&FORM=LKVR1
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2011
3:51 PM

Post #8483458

The Red Green show was so fun! Too bad it is not on anymore thank you for the link.
Delightful_Dawn
Altus, OK
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8502697

FrillyLilly

LOL. Thanks for sharing that link!

Dawn

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America