Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: Better and better!

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 277, Views: 2,015
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 8, 2011
8:20 PM

Post #8481840

Well, it's a new month and I was told mouses were squealing because of the length of the other thread. LOL
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1163896/

Thank goodness the cold weather has gone. Hope it stays away! And I also hope the "April showers" are nice slow drizzles and not yard flooding downpours.

The grass is greener...

Thumbnail by Badseed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
4:34 AM

Post #8482161

Good morning! I've already been out to water in the greenhouse. About to shower and hit the road. We have three back to back soccer games. Good thing is that part of the day will be over quickly. Bad thing is, we have to drive an hour both ways to do it. LOL When I get home, I have about 1,000 cuttings to plug. Then it's back to transplanting. I need to do some hanging baskets too. We were supposed to go to a school function tonight but there is no way I can get away. Craig is off work tonight so hopefully the kids will be helpful. The house is WRECKED.

I wished I had my camera with me last night. When we were coming home from soccer, the sun was a huge orange-pink ball hanging just above the trees. By the time we got home, the angle was different and we could barely see it. I was tempted to drive back to town just to get a picture. I'll have to remember to take my camera to practice next week.

Have a great day!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
11:41 AM

Post #8483036

Well, we have been under the threat of severe weather since early this morning. We did have a doozie of a storm, but mostly wind and rain.

Just came in from transplanting another tray of tomatoes.

Well last night was the first night in the new bed, and it was divine. Didn't know that a different mattress could make such a difference. And space, oh, I had space, and the mattress is one where when someone on the other side moves, it doesn't move my side, so DH can flip and flop all he wants, and unless he bounces me out of bed, I won't know it.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
1:40 PM

Post #8483208

Bonnie, I'm so glad! Could be that with the new mattress and the epidural, you'll jog to Chele's!
Pat
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 9, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8483620

Think I' getting the hang of untangling the threads. I tried corn gluten meal to prevent weeds from coming up between my peppers last year. I must have put it on too thick because some animal pulled up my peppers trying to eat it. It does work as a preemergent. The pelletized would be better than the raw stuff I got.
I have pink, black, fantail and corkscrew willows. Pieces of branches are laying all over the place. I have to gather them up before they root and become a nuisance like everything else around here. If anyone wants cuttings, let me know.
I sell to local florists and lot of trimmings left over. My greatest want is Cornus mas.
Herman

think I'm ge
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
7:12 PM

Post #8483857

Herman, go ahead and stick them in to root. The Ohio River Valley RU is going to be May 28th, and you can arrange trades of things you want for things that you have. Just watch on the other thread, and Ric will put up a link to list trades, and one to see what kind of food everyone is bringing. You will love it, and it will be good to meet you.

Now, you have to tell me what is Cornus mas
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2011
7:35 PM

Post #8483933

Chele, It was so nice just to be able to sit and chat for a few hours! I don't know why we don't do this more often!

Bonnie, so glad you got a good night's sleep!

Salix, the best way to keep track of your threads is to click the "Watch Thread" at the bottom of the posts. That way anytime someone else posts to the threads, you get notified on your home page. :) I would love to try a few of your cuttings. I've tried the Corn Gluten Meal too... unfortunately my chickens thought it was put down for them, and they cleaned it up before I could see if it would work well as a pre-emergent. I think I still have some in the barn... oddest color of orange! Made my chickens look funny too! :)

Here are part of my cuttings... Chele has a LOT more to do than I do. LOL

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8483938

and some of my tomato plants... I still have about 5 kinds to transplant. :( Good thing they take off so quick after transplanting.

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 9, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8483980

Melissa everything is looking good. What do you have the cuttings in? Sort of looks like white sand?

I asked at a farm store for corn gluten, and they wanted to know what I was going to use it for, and I told them. They told me that it would attrack deer and the wild turkeys. I know the dogs would take care of keeping them out of the yard, but I don't want to take a chance that they would think I had put out the welcome mat for them.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 9, 2011
8:57 PM

Post #8484172

Bonnie, it's just Perl lite, I think they root better in that than in anything else. I used coir last year, and wasn't impressed although some swear by it. I fully expect to see roots in a day or two using the perl lite.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 10, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8484642

Bonnie, Cornus mas is Cornelian Cherry Dogwood. I don't think I will make the RU. It would mean a total of 10 hours or more drive time and my eyes are not good at night. Can't switch from light to dark fast enough. I would need a semi to take all the stuff I want to get rid of, and so common or un-named no one would want them.
Peepers singing last night. Herman
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
10:54 AM

Post #8485116

Herman, I'm sorry you won't be able to make the RU. I understand abt the driving part, but I think most of us are happy to swap stuff regardless of how common, uncommon, "well-bred" or unnamed. Most of us are just plant-crazy & like to see each other.
Pat
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2011
12:53 PM

Post #8485322

Taxes finished, filed and a check written :(

Now, to get over THAT depression, I've got some things to sow in the hoophouse!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 10, 2011
1:31 PM

Post #8485392

The lurker is back! I have always wanted to visit the south when the Azeleas were in bloom. Since I retired, now was the time . We just got back and left last Monday. I have been catching up on the thread.

Bonnie, I sure am glad youu are feeling better. I have a friend with RLS and I know the pain can be terrible.

Hello and Welcome to Amber_lee and Salix_man!!! Glad to have some new members posting here. ( I lurk alot and seldom post) LOL

I was so sorry to read about Chris Moore! I painted a Slate for his business about 5 years ago and he sent me the most gorgeous box of plants in trade!! I really like Chris.

Pat, I really enjoyed your pictures of the Cathredal. What a pretty place. I hope to get up to DC soon and I will definitely make that a stop on our agenda.

Chelle, I am so glad you and Melissa got to get together for girl talk. I wished I lived closer . If I did, I'd be a pest in your hair with my visits.LOL

We visited Callaway Gardens, Savannah , Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, Charleston SC and Brookgreen gardens. The old cemetery in Savannah , Bonaventure cemetery ( "The Garden of Good and Evil" was written about Bonaventure Cemetery) had more Azaleas than the formal gardens. Some of the Bushes must have been fifty years old or more. It was gorgeous with all the hugh live oak trees and the moss hanging from them. We really had good weather and a good time. I couldn't believe how much everything outside had grown in just a weeks time. I hope Spring is here to stay.

I'll attach a picture of the blooms. Lou

Thumbnail by dispatcher1

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
1:48 PM

Post #8485424

Lou, that looks like a picture from a magazine. The south is beautiful in the spring, but I am not a fan at any other time of year!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
5:24 PM

Post #8485938

WOW, Lou. That's beautiful. Glad you got to go & see the colors!
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8486135

Think we better call 911, the greenhouse must have eaten chele today!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8486275

I think I am dead. D E A D. LOL I stuck about 1400 cuttings today! I take that back. I did about 200 yesterday so I only did 1200 today. In between, I took turns dropping the tomato flats into the baby pool full of water with some dilute MG. I have enough coleus and sweet potato vines to plant my way to KY! LOL I went out at 9:30 this morning and finished about 7:30, by the time I cleaned up my workspace, took out the trash and closed the roof. I left the door open and turned the heat down as low as it would go. I can't believe it was over 8o today!

Beautiful photo Lou! It looks like a watercolor. And it's lovely to see you!

Ack Melissa! So sorry you had to PAY taxes. Bleck. I guess that is the only time it's nice to be poor. We actually got money back but it's long gone. Way too many things needed fixed or paid and way too few got taken care of.

Herman, don't be so sure about your ordinary plants. I know several people that would trade you for cuttings or buy them from you. Seriously!

Melissa and I are going to have to do better about getting together! Maybe when she's done with school and I sell out of plants (knock on wood!!), we'll have some time to float around the pool (hers or mine) and eat bon bons. Okay, we can just hang out. hahahaha

I guess I'm going to get up tomorrow and water the greenhouse then try to get Carly to the doctor. She had a toe that got injured when her sister threw open a door which cleared the toenail but not the cuticle. Now it is infected and oozing. Oh, yay. She is supposed to start softball tomorrow. :( Guess she won't be wearing cleats or running.

Did I mention that I'm dead??

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
7:39 PM

Post #8486367

Chele, you will be DEAD if you keep up that pace. Now just what you need, a question, but it can wait a couple of days, even if you have an answer.

Do you know where I can find a zippered plastic cover for one of those little 2 shelf mini greenhouses? I have looked at several web sites, and haven't seen them. Maybe I am not typing in an exact description, but can't find them. I usually can find anything at Charlie's Greenhouse, but can't seem to locat them there.

Ouch on the toe. I know that it seems so minor, but when it is your toe, and it gets infected on top of that, it certainly isn't pleasant.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2011
7:40 PM

Post #8486370

Just for reference... the picture I posted of my cuttings had about 120 in that pan...

I did get three trays seeded with various things out in the hoophouse. I also sprayed in there, and am going to have to get some wasp spray, they were very active today.

I hope Carly isn't in too much pain!!

Lou, that picture is gorgeous!!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 10, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8486378

I'm not Chele, Bonnie, but you mean one like this?

http://www.shop.readygreenhouse.com/4-Shelf-Mini-Greenhouse-Replacement-Cover-40wide-RGH6640C.htm

I have one, never thought about replacing the cover, I'm just using it for shelving inside my gh
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 10, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8486422

Yes, thanks for the link. off to order right now.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
5:31 AM

Post #8486923

Sorry Bonnie,

I laid on the floor and dozed on and off through a movie. LOL My butt was whooped. I actually did know of those mini greenhouses. I was searching for another one of the ones that I bought years ago that was 6x8 and couldn't find anything but the minis! That little greenhouse I had blew down in the first big storm but the shelves last for years and I wanted more.

Carly's toe hurts pretty bad but it wasn't ER bad so we are going to try to get into the doctor's office. I can't even call until 9. It's her big toe and it had sort of a blood blister at the back where the cuticle is. Now it's weeping puss and her toe is red and hot so that is not good. She said it hurt yesterday and I told her there was really nothing to do for it unless it had puss or hurt ER bad. She said it was not ER bad. About 2 hours later it had puss. LOL

I left my bedroom window open last night and only slept with a sheet and was quite comfortable! Of course my head is all stopped up now but it was sure nice to be able to leave a window open!

The three little ones just walked out to get on the bus and it was barely sprinkling. It just started pouring. By the time I grabbed my keys, the bus was coming. Guess they are going to be a little damp. hahaha
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 11, 2011
6:30 AM

Post #8487118

Sorry about the toe! Hope they get her fixed up today!
We slept with a window open too...it felt soo good! Ahhhh...fresh air!
I actually got some things planted yesterday too! Our Menard's had Crinum bulbs last week...and I bought 3 of them. Planted them in a big pot...and stuck them in the greenhouse. Also potted up some tomato plants I got at the flea market...can't tell you the name right now...but it was one I had never heard of before. Ray...the guy who sold them to me, said he grows them every year...and they are a big tomato...and never crack. Thought I would give them a try.
I also planted the rest of my daffies...from last fall! They were sprouted...looked to be in good shape...so we will see what happens !
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
6:47 AM

Post #8487172

Back to your tropicals huh? LOL

Oh crud! You just reminded me I have some daffodils in the garage for my neighbor. I forgot about them and they are sitting on the shelf sprouted. I guess they won't bloom this year but at least by now I'll be able to tell where I put his other bulbs. Whoops.

Off to the shower!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
6:54 AM

Post #8487216

Working on paperwork today. It hasn't rained yet, but it is awful black.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 11, 2011
9:12 AM

Post #8487580

Any one that wants willow cuttings can have them for postage, pink, black, fantail or curly. I think it best to send them before they root, they wont suffer from drying as much. I sent some last Mar. d-mailed him to see how they are doing.
I have too many seedlings of cup plant, Silphium ?? like compass plant. Makes a good tall screen. Black-Eyed -Susans are going to the garbage. Lilac Wonder tulips are spreading, even into the lawn. Pics when they bloom. They will grow through anything, pinks and even wall to wall B-E-S. Enough of that. As much as I enjoyed the heat, I will welcome a return to normal temps. Last year, heat brought out the Serviceberry and in 3 days it was shedding petals. Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
3:17 PM

Post #8488331

Hi guys! I only have a minute before I have to pick Carly up from softball practice. She got some heavy duty antibiotics and she has to soak it a few times a day in Epsom's Salt. Softball practice is inside tonight so she's wearing flip flops and not doing any running. LOL

I need help with something. My neighbor bought these kits, to make raised cedar greenhouses. I went down and filled it with MG soil and put plants in this one for him so he can put it out in front of his store. He'd like to market them but we aren't sure what to call it. They are waist high and about four feet wide. I guess he buys them from an Amish farm and they call them Mini Coopers but I don't think that would tell anyone anything about them. Got any suggestions??

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
3:19 PM

Post #8488334

I zoomed out so you can see the size of it. I think they would be perfect for people with limited physical abilities. They also would be great for starting seeds, growing small things like lettuce or rooting cuttings.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
3:24 PM

Post #8488344

They are really pretty neat. The only thing you need to put them together is a screwdriver. You can see inside here, the top is held together with bolts and butterfly nets. They come in a few pieces that are already assembled and you basically assemble the rest.

What would you call it? It's obviously all cedar. It's raised. It is reasonably handicapped accessible (not sure about reaching the back). I had no problem from a standing position but it might be a bit of a reach from a chair. You could either set trays in it or fill it with soil like I did. It could be used out in the yard or on a patio.

I told him that stating it's cedar would be good. Is it technically a greenhouse? Hotbed? Mini Greenhouse? Personal greenhouse? My mind is blank and he needs help. Got any ideas?

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
3:27 PM

Post #8488347

The last pic is the top, with it closed. It's covered with a very heavy vinyl, like a commercial shower curtain type pvc. It has to cedar slats. One holds it closed and the other is at the center so you can open it partially or completely and you can see the bungee cord and hook at the front to keep it closed.

Anyone have a creative name?? Does Mini Cooper really say anything to you? I googled it and got nothing but the car. I also googled it with greenhouse and got every kind of greenhouse besides these things. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
4:16 PM

Post #8488439

The tomatoes are really coming along! I was laughing the other day when Melissa was here, as the tomatoes had only been transplanted a week before. They were already about 3" tall. I guess that is pretty good. I sowed seeds on 3/22 and took this pic on 4/8. So 17 days from seeding to this pic.

They've actually grown noticeably the last few days. Yesterday I put water and MG in the baby pool and let each tray have a little soak. I'm hoping to have the last of them transplanted between tomorrow and Wednesday. It's so hard to get stuff done when I have to stop and get cleaned up every night around 4pm. sigh.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
4:23 PM

Post #8488456

After I took Carly to the doctor today, we swung by Lowe's so I could pick up some more lumber. I still have green wire fencing and I'm going to put 2 more shelves in the greenhouse, up higher. I have room behind the heater and I'll be able to duck out the back door if I open it at all, or take that shelf back out when I don't need so many shelves. I'm also going to put one in front of the heater also at 4' or 5' high. That will give me about 14 more feet of shelf.

I had hubby take the coop off one of the bigger chicken tractors. I'm going to cover it with plastic so I can move some of the gallon perennials out there then use it as a holding bed for trees. I may have to cover a second one with blue tarp for the shade plants. I'm totally out of room in the greenhouse but have a very nice large gravel bed where the greenhouses were. I'd like to pour a 1/2 court for the kids there but since I don't have the money and don't plan on staying here...LOL

So, what has everyone else been up to today??
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 11, 2011
4:38 PM

Post #8488501

Is it too late to sow peppers? I hate to do that
because it's so much work for the half dozen plants I need, but Thai Dragons are so hard to find. I don't have a GH and every window is full of house plants. I can take the seed from the ones I dried last year.
The cup plant from the last post is Silphium Perfoliatum --Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
5:30 PM

Post #8488585

I love Silphium! I have/had a big one out front. I'm not sure if my friend took that one or not. I think I still have seeds in my bucket.

If you start the peppers somewhere you can keep them nice and warm so they sprout quickly, I think you still have plenty of time! Once they hit the heat, they'll take off anyway. I'm still planning on starting some more. I just needed more shelves. LOL
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 11, 2011
5:57 PM

Post #8488662

Heat may be a problem, I keep my thermostat at 60. I wear lots of clothes in the winter. Takes forever for amaryllis to bloom, even in the South window. Nothing to lose. I bought them in Mt Eaton last year, about a 2 or 3 gallon trip. Thai Dragons are a mainstay in my cooking, although at 50k Scoville units a little goes a long way. Does anyone have any for sale or trade?
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 11, 2011
6:04 PM

Post #8488684

Melissa, I just looked at your pic of cuttings. I tried to overwinter coleus cuttings, but they just went to flower. Was the timing wrong? The parent plant was blooming when I took the cuttings.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
6:17 PM

Post #8488717

Do you have a heating pad? What about on top of the dryer? Older refrigerators also put out a bit of heat. How about near a lamp?

Hopefully Melissa will check in. She might have the peppers. Did you try searching DG to see if anyone has them? People will often trade them if they have them. It's not one I normally grow. If you want to send me some seeds, I'll start them for you and mail them back with they are large enough.

In the meantime...you don't want to let coleus flower. Typical of annuals, they will flower, set seed then croak. Just today, my neighbor was joking about hiring one of my kids to pinch the flowers off his. LOL He couldn't keep up with them last year. I went over once or twice a week and pinched them for him..Do you always keep your house so cool? That could have also affected them. When we buy cuttings to root, they are all tip cuttings. If they send up a flower stalk, we pinch them off right away.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 11, 2011
6:58 PM

Post #8488849

I tried the cuttings at the GF's house where 70's were normal. Her orchids did good. Even tipping didn't help. they kept putting out buds. I think once they start, they just continue.
I only keep the house that cool in the winter. I don't own stock in Dominion Ohio. Going to miss GF's CA this summer. I think I have something where I can provide bottom heat. Gave a lot of my seed starting things to #1 daughter. She's taking Master Gardener course in RI.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
7:04 PM

Post #8488867

Gosh, Chele, the cedar planting dohikey is nice. I don't think I would call it a Mini Cooper, because of the liability that he might encounter from the car people. Might not be an issue, but better safe than sorry. I think before he tries to market them, I would test them out from a seated position, and that could be an angle that would appeal to many who need special accommodations for their gardening. I know that there is an accessible gardening forum, and those people may have more contacts and they could take off. Maybe Table Garden, LowGreen, Kitchen Garden, Easy Herb Garden, Cedar Wonder, Miracle Greenhouse, Easy Grow, Lowdown and Dirty Earthbox, Cedar Master Garden.

That is all that comes to me right now. If it is actually handicapped accessible, then a play on that angle Right Height Grow Box, Cruise Up Garden, Helping Hands Garden, Easy Garden Box. etc.

Holy Cow on those tomatoes. I just transplanted mine, and without heat in the garden shed, they are not doing much growing.

Salix man, I have used the top of the fridge, a heating pad, putting them over a floor vent, water heater. If you just have a few that you want to germinate, I have been known to turn my oven on the very lowest setting, and place the cups on top of the stove during the day time. If you have any aluminum roasting pan with a plastic cover, you could put them outside on a sunny day and have a very mini greenhouse.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8488913

Thanks Pat! I wondered if anyone was going to play along with me at all! LOL They are very nice little growing boxes. I'm not sure why he decided to get these. He comes up with all kinds of stuff. For the state of the economy, I worry that people might not be interested but I guess you never know. He just set this one up at the shop today. It's a busy road. I have no idea if he's going to offer them online or where or how. He asked my opinion and asked me to plant one. He paid me for the supplies but do you think he paid me? I'm ready to slap his head off. :) I really should start saying no. I of course had to go get everything...and the plants sat here for 2 weeks until he was ready for them. Grrrr. Thank you for all of the creative names! I'm only 5'5" and had to stoop to plant it. It was me that said it would be good for someone in a wheel chair or lacking the ability to garden in the ground.

Herman, it's much easier to keep seed sprouting soil warm in something like a shallow pan or small container, like the top or bottom half of an egg carton. I do most of mine that way to sprout them. This year is was the bottoms of 2 liter bottles. They are easy enough to collect and I can toss them when I'm done. Last year I used mostly egg cartons. A DG member once posted his plans for heat box and I used that for a year or too. It is just a simple wooden frame with four light bulbs and I used an old washer to make a metal top and bottom for it. I sprouted tons of seeds on that thing for the cost of electric to four light bulbs at night only. You of course wouldn't need anything that large for one small container of peppers. :) Congrats on your daughter's interest in gardening! I hope she does well and enjoys it.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8488933

Err, That was not Pat, but I don't mind giving her the credit for my creativity!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2011
7:36 PM

Post #8488944

Oh shitake! LOL You started your post with "Gosh" and in my mind that registered Goshsmom. I am certifiable! THANK YOU BONNIE!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 11, 2011
7:42 PM

Post #8488955

I'm not familiar with that Pepper, but it sounds interesting!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 11, 2011
7:53 PM

Post #8488976

We must have been typing at the same time. Peppers are not as mild as Jalapenos or as hot as habenaros, just right!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
7:24 AM

Post #8489906

I give up. It's one of those need to scream days. Argh.

It's been storming and howling winds since 2am! The creek in town has jumped the banks. Sure hope the kids don't have soccer.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 12, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8489946

Maybe the kids should take up water polo. We didn't get much rain, but I haven't gotten rid of last month's yet. Think I'll start looking for rice plants or water chestnut starts.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
8:06 AM

Post #8490003

We've gotten 2" in 24 hours and it's still coming. Now we have a flood watch. I'll need fins and a snorkel to get to the mailbox. Don't worry. Some time in July, I'll be griping about drought. LOL
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 12, 2011
9:53 AM

Post #8490210

Almost 5 inches in the last 24 hours. I can definately say that the water table down here has been replenished. Creek was up in the bottoms and almost to the bottom of the bridge this morning. And that was after it was going down. I think I'm glad that my 14 flats of cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower are still in their trays.

We did the Home and Garden show in Lexington Thursday-Sunday. Plus both Lexington markets started. This past weekend was a zoo. People were buying about a third to a half more than they did last year. I ended up going home Saturday afternoon and baking an additional 14 batches of bread to make sure I had enough for market on Sunday. It's impossible to adequately judge what you need for something like that.

I've got about 70 tomatoes that need to be in the ground. They're about 6 inches tall. I guess I'll set them out to harden off and maybe slow them down some. I want to get them planted and get a low tunnel over them as soon as the ground dries out. Right now who knows when that will be.

Bonnie, how'd the epidural go? Are we ready for lunch?

It takes my peppers forever to come up. I got a fairly good stand of green and jalepeno but my habenero's don't appear to be sprouting. Guess I'll seed them again.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
10:17 AM

Post #8490268

Janet, the epidural helped tremendously. Looks like my calendar is sort of blank until next Wednesday, so anytime between now and next Wednesday. I have another epidural on Wednesday, and then that will be followed by 2 days of down time. I will see the Dr the next week, and he will determine if I get the 3rd. I think he will approve it, as the first one has give me so much relief. Now I was hurting yesterday in all the other joints from the dampness, but not my back!!

I will give you a call tonight, and we can set it up. Is that new restaurant on your radar?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8491525

That is a LOT of baking Janet!!

It amazes me that the water can rise so quickly then recede just as fast. I had to run down the road today and the creek was way up into the grass, almost to the road, filling places you rarely if ever see it. By the time I went out again to take Jazzi to soccer, it was back down inside the bank of the creek but still quite high. I have no idea where that water goes to. We were about 8 miles down the road to another little town and were amazed there also, to see water places we'd never seen in. I really should pull up a satellite just to see what empties where. It's an amazing and dangerous amount of water. The currents are very swift!

Tomorrow is Craig's only day off work and I guess he's going to take Nolan and go to the grocery. I'm planning to whip up two more wood shelves that will be about 4.5-5' high. Hope I remember to duck. LOL I'm completely out of space in the greenhouse and still have lots more to transplant!

I did get the gas for the greenhouse filled today after nearly 5 hours on the phone. I think customer service died. It was pretty much that they were going to bring me gas TODAY or I told them to pick up their tank. I really don't like getting jerked around.

I'm trying to make a grocery list and NOTHING sounds good. Maybe I should have made the list before I ate the double decker. Hmph.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011

Post #8491554

Well, the sun did finally come out, but it was still damp and chilly. I did inside work today, had health insurance issues, which I worked on, and then made a Lasagna for supper tonight. I commented to DH at supper that mine never turns out the same. I use the same ingredients, and unless it is the cheese I don't know why there is a difference. Tonight's was good, but way too runny. Now the next time I make it, it may be perfect. I was wondering, it calls for the cottage cheese, and the mozerella and the parmesan, could it be that different brands of cheese have a different moisture content that could affect the finished dish? I looked on the containers and wouldn't you know that moisture was not something that they list.

Gonna do the grocery/errand thing tomorrow. DH plans to go with me, as right after supper he was cleaning his glasses, which are only 6 months old, and cost an arm and a leg, and the frames broke. This is the second pair that has done this way. Sure hope that he can be civil to the people in that office tomorrow. I may just not go in with him!!

Herman, if Ester doesn't have pink or black that she will share, I may take you up on the offer of the willow cuttings. I know I asked her for the fantail. I will let you know.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 12, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8491592

Because of my knee, I didn't cut the pink back last year. This year the catkins were all about ten feet up and there are 4 ft pieces floating in the yard and growing roots. If I don't pick them up I wont even get through. They will be thicker than the bamboo.
Fantail leaves are starting, too.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
7:57 PM

Post #8491604

Different brands of cheese could certainly make a difference. We use Kroger brand for almost everything. It's normally a better buy. I haven't made homemade lasagna in forever! I think I used to put Ricotta in it instead of cottage cheese. Do you use sauce from a jar? Or do you use something you made or a tomato paste mix? I would think that could affect moisture too.

Hubby is doing the grocery tomorrow and I plan to work outside all day. I don't have a choice. I'm under the gun!

I need new glasses badly. I've been waiting because I have to pay out of pocket for the high def lenses. Otherwise my glasses would be 1/2" thick. Carly needs contacts for softball because I worry about her taking a ball to the face. All of that stuff is so expensive even with insurance!

Well, Nolan is getting tired and nasty so I guess I'm going to round them up and head them down the hall.

You all have a good night!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2011
9:51 PM

Post #8491913

I'm with Chele on the cheese moisture content, Bonnie. Plus I got a recipe for manicotti from America's test kitchen this year, & they make a big thing abt which cheeses to use for consistency. (They also use no-boil lasagne noodles instead of real manicotti, which makes it a lot easier to fix). Man, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! WHen we were in DC, we ordered a cheese pizza from Room Service one night, and it was the best cheese pizza I've ever had in my entire life. I may have to learn to make it.

I'm glad the creeks are going back into their banks, Chele. My back yard still has standing water in quite a few places. I wish they still made those Totes shoe covers that slide on over your regular shoes. I've ruined a lot of sneakers in the mud.
Vet came & gave all the cats their shots, left a huge bag of food & some frontline, so I'm poor but happy to have gotten that out of the way.
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8492256

They don't make Tote shoe covers anymore?? My favorites are the garden clogs with cute pictures on them. The Sloggers are nice but make um, flatulent noises when you walk if your feet get wet. LOL Rangers! Those are the ones with the cute pics-ladybugs, butterflies and they also make plain ones! I had ladybug ones. They did sell them at TSC, not sure if they still do. LLBean also makes some wonderful shoes! The are a bit hard to get on if you get the ones with collars but my favorites were the 'duck' shoes we wore in high school. Hubby and I both need new ones badly!

My yard has standing water 6 months of the year! Think the realtor told us about that? haha

There is a gas station here that sells pizza. It's pretty much the only place to get pizza unless you want to drive 10-12 miles. They have one pizza that is ranch and cheese that is very good! Another good pizza has garlic butter instead of sauce, with cheese. Somebody mentioned homemade pizza on facebook and I've not made that in awhile!

Still no word about the interview hubby had last week. They said a week or two. Guess they are seriously going to push it to the second week. It dumbfounds me that they still interview people from outside when they already have quality, trained people working inside as contractors.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8492262

Herman, I forgot to ask. What did you do to your knee? Is it okay now?
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 13, 2011
5:28 AM

Post #8492293

Both knees are fine. Isn't titanium wonderful? L shoulder, too. One more and I go to the scrap yard when I kick the bucket.
Did anyone's father make willow whistles? I can't remember the whole process. Lost Art?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
5:57 AM

Post #8492329

You picked a good club to join! Marcy is bionic too. LOL Another friend also had double knee replacement but I'm not sure she is on here now. I bet you'd all be a lot of fun in the airport together. ;)

My Dad used to joke about getting up in the morning and putting his body parts on and going to bed and leaving half in the dresser. He had false teeth, an artificial leg, glasses and I'm trying to think if there was anything else. He also had a metal plate in his head because he was shot in the head when he was the Chief of Police when I was little.

You can find anything on the internet! LOL http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Willow-Whistle I don't think I've ever heard of those before!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 13, 2011
7:28 AM

Post #8492462

That is just the way my Dad made them when I was a boy, back when every boy carried a pocket knife, even in SCHOOL.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
10:02 AM

Post #8492743

I'll match anyone on this list, pound for pound, with metal implants. I have 3 different rods in my back where I had my fusion, an impanted port in one arm, & a spinal column stimulator complete with battery pack. The TSA scan was very impressive (& a little confusing) when I went to the airport. LOL

Thx for the shoe cover tips, Chele. I can't wear the clogs because of the nerve damage in my feet, so I'll look for the pull-over types. Hadn't even thought of looking at LL Beans-- duh. I still have fond memories of Beans as being the only place open in the state of Maine 24 hours a day, back when I was in nursing school. Back then they had really strict blue laws in Maine. The corner store could only open for like 2 hours on Sunday, and nobody went out after 8 or 9 pm because it was COLD, and dark. But Beans was open all the time, bless them!
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
10:35 AM

Post #8492814

Got one more shelf built and realized I am out of screws. Darnit! I need a small business loan. LOL Guess I'm going out to transplant some more stuff. Nolan wouldn't go back to sleep after we brought the groceries in. Since hubby is putting them away, I'm making a run for it!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
4:17 PM

Post #8493595

There is seriously no room at the inn, er, uh greenhouse! I ran out and took some pics. I need to finish the tray of plants I'm doing then start cleaning up. Craig took the kids to practice tonight and Kristenne is making dinner. I'll post some pics later. I soooooo need some flats!
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 13, 2011
4:22 PM

Post #8493610

wow u are very busy woman all time plus handfull with your kids so how are you all doing is the kids growing big? Pixes?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8493753

Debbie!! How are you?? I haven't seen you around in forever! Seriously! Years?? How are you?? We are doing okay. It could always be better and it could always be worse. LOL The kids are growing like weeds! The oldest will be 18 in August and the youngest just turned 2. They wear me out! I'll have to look around for some recent pics of the older ones. Facebook is covered with them yet I do not have any.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 13, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8493815

You are like my g-daughter, oldest 18, 4 ten and younger. Planted pepper seeds today. Found I had stuff left over from when I started plants inside, including heat and light. Hadn't used it in years.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
6:35 PM

Post #8493918

We were on the every other year plan and had six girls. A couple of months after the youngest turned four, I said we were probably finished since it had been four years and I was turning 40. I got pregnant about 12 days later. LOL Had a boy that time!

Great score on the seed starting supplies! I'm glad you will get to have your peppers after all. Hang out with us long enough and we tend to rub off on you. hahahaha
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
6:47 PM

Post #8493950

Those willow whistles look interesting. When my willows get larger, may have to give it a try, for what I don't know.

Herman, when I was in school there were lots of things you could do which is unheard of today. You could actually ask for an receive an aspirin if you had a headache!!

I don't have any metal parts, but just some parts that don't always work well! Loved your comment on going to the scrap yard, with the price of scrap metal now, you may actually be worth quite a bit of money!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
6:49 PM

Post #8493955

Well, I managed to straddle the gas line and put a shelf way at the back about 4' high. Then I filled it. LOL I was about to make a second shelf when I realized I was out of screws and green wire fencing so I did some more transplanting. Then I remembered we had some hardware cloth from some shelf pieces someone gave us and some not badly used screws, so I built another shelf about 5' off the ground. Hopefully I remember to duck or I'm going to take a whack right in the bridge of my nose.

Thumbnail by Badseed

salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 13, 2011
6:51 PM

Post #8493963

One thing that won't rub off is making more kids. That is up to my Grands, now. Latest count is 22 greats. First tulip, today. If I ot dowm to take a pic, I might need the squad to get me up.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
6:53 PM

Post #8493965

LOL Bonnie! I wasn't going to point out metal prices. Didn't want to give his kids or grands any ideas.

I think I am seriously on overload! I'd like to move some stuff out but have to wait until I can buy some plastic or trust the weather.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
6:57 PM

Post #8493974

Chuckling @ Herman! I didn't think men ever got too old to make kids.

The tomatoes I posted the other day are really going to town...

Thumbnail by Badseed

salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 13, 2011
7:05 PM

Post #8493993

Bonnie, If your knees wear out, by all means get new ones. Before the TKE's I couldn't walk more than a block. Now I do half mile on the treadmill in 10 minutes. That is at the end of my hour workout in the gym. Now I need someone to come up with a lower back replacement. I'm not pain free, but have taken only 1 Motrim all year.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 13, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8494009

Chele, I would need a partner young enough, and I couldn't keep up with her. 43 years with the first woman, 16 with the 2nd. had enough for a while. There are some lively ones at the gym, tho
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
7:15 PM

Post #8494018

ROTFLOL Like I said, men are NEVER too old. :P Did you say 22 great Grandkids??
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 13, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8494058

22 so far, 4 grands haven't reproduced yet. BTW took my figs out of the basement today. Leaves starting. They need light. Can always put them back if it looks like frost.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8494063

That's a whole lot of grandkids!

What kind of figs do you grow? One of these days, I'm going to get some. A friend planted one for another friend that is supposed to be hardy. I never thought to ask about it. I wonder if it's still doing well.

I have a lot of things I'd like to move out of the greenhouse. I've got no room to move in there now.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 13, 2011

Post #8494079

The fig came from NJ Italian stock. I have no idea what variety. I have the big one in the ground, still covered up. They might be hardy in your area. Tops can stand to about 20F. Even if the top dies, the roots should survive. I layer branches and take them in for the winter.2 out of 3 survived this year.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8494164

Are you in zone 5 up there? I think I might have already asked that. We do see the teens and lower but it's usually not for very long or it's more windchill. I keep saying one of these days I'm going to get more into fruiting plants. Maybe I have to wait until I move out of the swamp. sigh.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 13, 2011
11:33 PM

Post #8494337

OK, what plants do you want to trade for some grand or great- grand kids? I'm in the "my grandchild is a cat" division.
LOL
Pat
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 14, 2011
6:04 AM

Post #8494660

It's my kids fault. In spite of their parents and the way the were raised in the 50's. 60's and 70's. they turned out great. They through me a wonderful BD on Labor day. None live in OH or even in the same state. Everything was done on the web and phone. BTW I haven't seen a lot of the greats. I haven't travel much. Can't leave my cats for too long.--Herman
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
6:41 AM

Post #8494732

Wow Chele...you sure been busy!
I'm just getting started here...but then..I have no heat in my greenhouse!
Herman...I agree with you...titanium is fabulous! I first had the stainless steel rods in my back...they were the pitts! After so many yrs of misery...they finally broke...and I got the titanium put in...NO comparision at all!
And my knees are WONDERFUL...now!! LOL!!
I am just getting back to my treadmill...after having some feet issues. Sure feels good to get some exercise again.
Ok..sorry not much time...but hubby says...get in the shower...so he can have time to get ready for work.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 14, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8494890

Help. Is 78F too warm for the pepper seeds? Checked the temp today. Maybe I should take the cover off the tray?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8494929

I sprouted mine at 75. They took about a week. So long as they stay moist, I would think that is okay. If the lid is steaming up you might want to remove it or just not snap it down so a little air can get in.

Hey Marcy!! Good to see you!

Pat, I already gave you 7 Grandkids! LOL

Just put Nolan down. Running out the door!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
8:33 AM

Post #8494949

Finished transplanting the 3 trays of tomatoes. Stop laughing Chele, for me that is a lot.

Got an email notice that my 5 tier mini greenhouse shipped yesterday, so will have a nice place for them to reside, hopefully later this afternoon.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 14, 2011
10:53 AM

Post #8495226

It seems like it takes a lot longer for pepper seeds to germinate and they do like warmer temps. My green and jalepeno's sprouted ok but I don't think any of my habaneros have sprouted. I guess I'll replant them.

Got my first asparagus yesterday. 2-3 pounds. I need to plant a couple more rows but just can't find the right place. My beets are coming up and the peas are trying to make an appearance. 4-5 inches of rain this week hasn't helped. I imagine it buried some of the beets. Hopefully they'll push on through it. I need to get my other stuff in the ground. I didn't bother to look for the potatoes. They'll either come up or they won't.

Tonight's Lemon Blueberry night. Nothing like having a schedule and having to stick with it.

~~~~~~~~~~ to all!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
6:02 PM

Post #8496140

Bonnie honey, I would never laugh! We all grow what we grow for different reasons. Some just grow for themselves while others grow enough to plant and share and some sell them. I like that I'm able to do this and offer a good product for a decent price. I like to grow stuff and I like to talk to people so it's win win. Last time I grew a ton and had some left, I gave them away on freecycle. No sense wasting them.

Now, if you want to laugh at me, I figured I'd have about 55 trays. I probably transplanted about 1200 more seedlings over the last two days. I was looking around and I think I'm moving up around 80 trays just of tomatoes and peppers! Oddly, I read the germination rates and planted accordingly. In my 512 trays, I'm maybe tossing 10-12 empty cells. The germination rates on the packages were as low as 83%. I'm sure not seeing that. Some I tossed were actually sprouted but just not moving along so I didn't waste my time. Out of all those seedlings, I had one albino pepper seedling. LOL It got about an inch tall and just hung there. That was it. It didn't die, didn't green up, didn't grow, just sat there nearly pure white for 2 weeks.

I went ahead and moved the trays of daylily seeds outside that I just did. I figured a lot of people sew them in the ground and they are fine so since the second set hasn't sprouted yet, they are taking up valuable real estate. I'm actually considering moving a lot of the perennials out too. As soon as I can get some plastic, a LOT of stuff is moving out!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8496331

Well, my little greenhouse arrived this afternoon (thanks Melissa for that link). I was putting it together, and it had little metal pipes as spacers between the shelves. I got one started in crooked, and when I pulled it out, the momentum was so great that it smacked me in the mouth. Hehe. I have a cut lip, and probably should have gone to get stitches, but I got the bleeding to slow down, and put some liquid bandage on it. It is still weeping, but will be fine tomorrow. So this will be my reminder of the day the greenhouse came.

Janet, hope you don't mind a bruised and cruddy looking lunch partner on Monday!

I still have 2 trays of tomatoes I put on top of the fridge today. I guess since I didn't have heat in my garden shed, and only the heat mats, the germination has been slow. I won't give up on them for another week or so.

Chele, I have never heard/seen an albino seedling of any type. You should have potted it up just to see if it would have made a plant.

Chele, you know I kid. Honestly, I would like to do the same as you are doing, but not quite on that grand a scale. But you all know the story of the "no greenhouse Ethington household." When I am on my deathbed, I will still be saying I want a greenhouse.

I have errands to run in the morning before the "front" moves in to give us more rain. Just when the ground isn't squishy anymore, we are getting more rain.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8496395

Ouch Bonnie! That sounds unfun! Is your lip alright?? You goofball! Why didn't you get stitches? You know it's going to leave a mark. LOL

From starting so many seeds and so many different kinds, I know that albino seedlings in daylilies are fairly common. I also know that with no pigment at all, they will die. :( Albino seedlings have no chlorophyll. Without it, they won't live. Sometimes you can keep one alive for a bit in heavy shade but eventually they die. If they have some coloration, they might live but with no green at all there is no chance. The sun will fry them in a split second.

I will not say a word about the greenhouse. I won't. I'm sitting on my hands...

We are supposed to have practice tomorrow for soccer and softball so I'm kind of liking the rain thing but from a more practical standpoint, I much prefer working outside when it's nice! Even in the greenhouse! Nolan and I mowed part of the front yard today and it wasn't too awful wet but man is the grass long!

I think my new neighbor is about to put a fence all the way up to my darn driveway. I really don't care so much but sure hope he had a survey done. The old neighbor told me he owned part of my driveway and it does look like it on a satellite map but my surveyor told me absolutely not. On a good note, I have not seen his very large dog trampling my plants or in my pond lately...
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2011
7:19 PM

Post #8496447

Oh Bonnie! I'm so sorry about your lip!! I know that has to hurt.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
7:32 PM

Post #8496516

Melissa and Chele, I will be fine, and after all, it is not like I am trying to look gorgeous to catch another man!

Thanks chele for not saying anything about the greenhouse. It would be a shame to get a divorce over a greenhouse, and throw 46 years of marriage down the drain, but at times, it seems like a plan.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
7:51 PM

Post #8496584

If you get enough alimony (hahaha I typed alimoney on accident!!), you could buy a nice greenhouse. But I didn't say that. I'm not discussing it!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
8:03 PM

Post #8496609

Me neither, but it is a thought. May have to have one big enough for a stove, fridge and a bed!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
8:16 PM

Post #8496642

I joked about putting a compost toilet and air mattress in mine. Other than that, a fridge would be handy.

I had to laugh today. Nolan was not in the greenhouse much yesterday so he really didn't notice that I had put to shelves up high. Today he came in and was so amazed. He kept pointing up there and laughing and going back and forth under the front one. Then he was jumping in the air trying to touch it. I told him I built that and he was smiling and so amazed that I had plants up there. I asked him if he liked it and he said yes. I asked him if he'd like to sleep up there and I got a big yes to that too. He is so funny!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2011
8:19 PM

Post #8496652

I could live in a greenhouse...just sayin!
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
8:29 PM

Post #8496682

Are any of you into grafting tomato plants? Bob is going to do it this year - the whole thing is partly my fault. I thought the grafting clips in the Johnny's Seed catalog were so neat, and showed it to him. He read up on it and ordered the grafting tomato seeds. I started the seeds and those are puny plants, the other tomatoes that are to be grafted to it are twice the size, but Bob assures me they are catching up. (After I pot up the seedlings, it becomes his to care for). I had never heard of any person I know doing this.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8496695

Esther, I have never heard of it, and will be waiting to see how Bob's experiment turns out.
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2011
8:49 PM

Post #8496725

Bonnie, sorry about your lip, I hope it does not bother you when you are eating or drinking.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
5:33 AM

Post #8497084

Hello Esther!

Tomatoes grow pretty quick and grow roots rapidly. They are easy to root too so I'm sure all those factors make grafting them a lot easier than grafting other things. Being more tender plants, I bet you have to be a lot more gentle. LOL I've never grafted tomatoes but I have heard of it.

"The production of grafted vegetables in Asia is widespread. In Japan almost 95 % of the watermelons, oriental melons, greenhouse cucumbers, tomato and eggplant crops are grafted before being transplanted to the field or greenhouse." From: http://oardc.osu.edu/graftingtomato/graft.htm Interesting reading from the same site: http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/graftingtomato/tomato_grafting.pdf

What are you using for rootstock and the scion, what type of tomatoes?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8497259

Off to do some errands. WL's are saying rain moving in for a couple of days. Pooh!

Thanks Esther for the wishes for my lip. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, and after I put that liquid bandage on it, it is protected from whatever I am eating or drinking. That bandage stuff burns like fire as it goes on, but it does seal the wound.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8497273

Good morning everyone!
That will be very interesting Esther and Bob!
I remember my grandfather grafting fruit trees...never heard of tomatoes though.
Chele...will have to come back and visit that site...no time right now.
Bonnie...glad the lip isnt as bad as you anticipated.
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
8:17 AM

Post #8497519

Chele I went and located the seed envelope and it is called Emperador F1 (Johnny's Selected Seeds Hybrid Tomato, Greenhouse)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
9:26 AM

Post #8497649

Is that the rootstock or the scion? Will you be growing them in a greenhouse environment or in a garden? Can't wait to here about the results!
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
9:58 AM

Post #8497689

That is the rootstock, the scion will be whatever tomatoes we have started in the usual way every year. Bob plants some in the big unheated greenhouse (in the back 40) which has the plastic on the ends and sides rolled up. He also plants a whole bunch outside around that greenhouse. We give away a lot of plants and produce.

We had a row of figs growing down the center of this greenhouse, but they usually died down to the roots in the winter, and we only got figs if the frost was late that year. So Bob was tearing out some of it last year and I potted up some for last years' RU. Our most productive figs are the ones we have in pots and have to move in the garage for the winter, some of the figs (not many, of course) that formed last year have just continued getting bigger now.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
11:04 AM

Post #8497819

Bonnie, perhaps we could print up some t-shirts for you. "Will divorce & remarry for greenhouse." or "I asked for a greenhouse and all I got was a fat lip!"
LOL, I'm so sorry that your DH seems immune to the greenhouse pleas. Could you strike & stop cooking?
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
11:07 AM

Post #8497826

You have so many secrets left for me to unlock! LOL I don't think I knew you had a greenhouse! Do you heat it at all? You plant the figs in the ground in the greenhouse? I am not surprised you give away a ton of produce. You have always been so good, so nice and so generous. :) I thank God for you, very often!

Are any of the figs hardy? I could over winter a lot in my old garage because it had a poured foundation. Can't over winter anything in the one here!

Copying from facebook because I'm too lazy to type it again. hahahha...Rearranged the railroad ties, repaired on roof vent, buried the electric lines, moved some pots around, changed a poopy diaper, put Nolan down for a nap, eating unstuffed green peppers with provolone. Then I'm back at it!! Transplant or start more seeds? Hmmm.

While Nolan was sleeping. I gathered up some seeds then went back out. Instead of starting them, I ended up getting more pots and trays out of the greenhouse, potting some elephant ears, watered and fed a few things and dragging my dirt tubs out of the greenhouse after I moved some more gravel to level by the front doors. It's getting hard to move in there. Ahem! Now he's awake so I guess we'll figure out what's next.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
11:08 AM

Post #8497828

LOL Pat! Troublemaker!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8498389

I've been afflicted with a strange yearning for Waldorf salad. I must have run out of all the other excuses for doing my taxes.

I have to say that the first round of rain barely touched us! 2 hundredths of an inch is hardly the 2-3 inches they were warning abt!
Pat
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
4:06 PM

Post #8498411

Chele that big greenhouse is unheated and the figs are root hardy. Tops have to start from ground up every year kinda late - June or July.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 15, 2011
4:13 PM

Post #8498421

If I can grow figs in the ground in
z-5, you can , too. My tree has been in the ground since 1992. My best year I had over 100 figs. Last year probably 50 or more. I tie it up, wrap it in old blankets and cover it w/plastic. When I was younger and not as feeble I covered it w/tarpaper. It does make a difference. If I get a break in the rain, I will uncover it tomorrow. Let me know if you want pics.

Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
5:05 PM

Post #8498543

Pat, do you need a stern talking to?? LOL Waldorf salad does sound good. I told the kids about it once and they all said "Yuck!!'.

We had one practice canceled and one not. I decided to stay home. I've been sitting here nicking and soaking gourd seeds. Between Esther and Jo, I should have quite the selection! I had to laugh though, when I looked up Indonesian gourds. I had no idea men actually WORE them. Hmmm. Let me just say that it looks painful.

Very interesting on the figs. Herman, I know you can overwinter some bananas in a similar fashion. Yes! If you happen to take photos, I'd love to see the fig!

I ended up starting three more types of peppers (Melissa shared), hyacinth beans, Bonnie's castor beans and moonflower vines. I think I also just prepped about 20 different gourds. Ahem. No one asks any longer, who's yard they will go in. My only issue is the soil. grumble grumble. I'm almost out of seed mix, I'm definitely out of space, still have more to transplant and more seeds to start. Oh my.
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
5:34 PM

Post #8498642

We used to live in NY and there were TV programs showing how Italians who love their figs would overwinter them. They would loosen the roots on one side, dig a trench on the other and tip it over and bury the whole tree under a big pile of dirt and whatnot, like a huge burial mound. I think we tried this once, and then easier variations ... but we do not really want to do it. I guess that must have been why we put it down the center of the unheated greenhouse, hoping that would do it .
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 15, 2011
5:47 PM

Post #8498679

I lived in NJ for 40 years. You could tell an old Italian's house in winter by the wrapped fig. I'm told they bury the trees in Youngstown. I used to keep my tree taller, but with age comes arthritis and easier to cut it back. Grows about 5' a year. A garden center in Richfield has a fig in the GH with a 6" trunk or bigger. Mega GH's OWN GAS WELL What you need
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
7:25 PM

Post #8498906

Pat, the t shirts sound like a good idea, but scratch the marrying for a greenhouse, I've already done that and it hasn't worked!!

I did errands this morning, and mainly went because there was supposed to be a 15 mile yard sale, and I love browsing them, even if I don't buy. Well that was a bust, only 5 vendors that I could see, but I am sure it was because of the weather. It wasn't raining at the time, but the wind was blowing, and it was chilly.

Pat, I just got through writing a check to the IRS for $3,255, and then turned around and wrote a check for $930, the first payment in the estimated taxes for 2011. You can guess what my mood is. Grumble, grumble. We are not pleased with our tax preparer, and when things settle down I have a neighbor who is an accountant and tax preparer, and I am going to ask her to look at our return and see if there is something more that can be claimed and therefore less painful for us next year.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 15, 2011
8:25 PM

Post #8499008

After gym, I went to the XGF and work a bit in her garden. Cut back the budlia and thinned some of her spreading plants, Japanese anemone, cabbage-flower daylily and helebore seedlings. Then came home and planted. Didn't get my siesta until 5:30 Got it done ahead of the rain.
Yard sales, Spring must really be here.

Thumbnail by salix_man

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2011
8:59 PM

Post #8499052

You know you could have rooted those Buddliea. LOL Pretty tulips!

Maybe the Tshirt could say "Will cook and clean for greenhouse" but anyone with a greenhouse will tell you their house is never clean if they can get to the greenhouse. :P

Sorry about the big bills Bonnie. Ack. I guess this would be a bad time to ask for a loan. (ducking)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2011
6:44 AM

Post #8499556

Morning all.
I have bananas that winter over outside. And I don't do anything in the way of covering them either. They are on the south side of my house...up against the house. Every year they come back bigger, stronger, and more!!
They get as tall as the house...(one story part) ..or a bit taller. I don't get bananas on them though.
My friend Don, Tropicman, in Ks...gets bananas on his. I think he winters them in the greenhouse...and then plants them outside..or at least he did.
I think he grows figs too. I've never tried one of those.
Oh...and my bananas die to the ground every winter...and come back from the roots.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 16, 2011
9:41 AM

Post #8499854

Thank you, Bonnie, for your contribution to my SS. Wish it could have been less.
Esther, i checked S. Point on the map. You are just down the road. Rte #93 is only about 2 miles from me.
My back yard was drying up. Now with the rain and wind has whitecaps. Raised beds are above water, but still water logged
Can't work outside. have to get out the shovel and hoe and clean house.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
5:00 PM

Post #8500578

Bonnie, we'll just have to re-write the vows. "Do you promise to love, honor, and build greenhouses within one month of first request?"

Honestly, I don't mind paying the taxes as much as doing them. Clergy taxes are so complicated that by the time you find all your receipts & papers, you might as well do them yourself. I do use a tax program fr most of it, though. When I try & read the IRS instructions on my own, I get suicidal.

OK, no more computer un til taxes are done!
Pat
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 16, 2011
5:42 PM

Post #8500658

I did my daughter's after I did ours last week, and she already has her refund in her account. It was supposed to take 2 weeks. LOL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8500807

I am glad to hear somebody has a refund! It has been ages since we had a refund.

Today was so cold, rainy, the drizzly kind and the wind blowing. This was the Thunder Over Louisville, today, which kicks off Derby activities. We just watched the fireworks on tv. I wouldn't have stood out there in this kind of weather, if they had set all the bridges in Louisville on fire!

Had another day that I had to go out and buy last minute things for the church potluck tomorrow. Guess I have everything. Will make some scalloped potatoes in the morning. I baked the ham and sliced it today. Another lady is cooking a pork loin, so well should have enough meat.

The potlucks are always good, and I enjoy the fellowship, as we don't have a lot of time after to church to talk to other people much. So we always sit around and talk. We are having a young couple a baby shower tomorrow. They are new to our congregation, and she is the one that I have cooked so much for, as they put her on bed rest about 6 weeks ago. However, she has carried the baby 38 weeks, so they are telling her that she can do whatever she wants, within reason of course.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
8:11 PM

Post #8500949

I hit the floor running at 7:30am this morning. We had 3 soccer games on the worse fields in our district. We were sinking in mud up to our ankles. My car said it was 50 but the wind was bitter cold, not to mention it was raining and we were standing in puddles. Nolan already had a runny nose and now he's being a whiny boy. Hope this isn't the beginning of a lot of colds/illnesses. We took turns sitting in the car with him so he wasn't out too much.

We had games at 10, 10:15 and 2:30 and were about 30 minutes from home. We killed a couple of hours in between the second and third by running to the grocery and picking up sandwiches, chips, Little Debbie's and pops. At least it was not windy in the car!

Maddie's game, the youngest kids, got called before they got to half time. Not sure who decided to end it but it was 3-0 when they sent the kids back to the cars. Jazzi's game was 16-0 and I'm not sure why the other team didn't just call it. They obviously weren't making a comeback when we were up by 12 at halftime. Lillie's team played our other team her age and they won 6-0. All in all, good games but a really bad day for it on awful fields!

We got home a bit after 4 and we all took naps. LOL I'm ready to go back to bed and so is Nolan. What a way to waste a Saturday!

Night all!
Esther_z6
South Point, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
8:27 PM

Post #8500963

Salix_Herman, I checked the map and Barberton is near Akron. We live in South Point, the southern -most tip of Ohio. It takes us 3 hours to drive to Columbus and I see you are still further northeast from there. I guess you cannot just pop in to borrow a cup of sugar.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2011
8:38 PM

Post #8500981

Herman, I am glad to help out a fellow DG member with the funds for SS. I just can't undertand why we always owe so much. We used to have an active farm, and had a lot of deductions for the operation and upkeep, and I suppose that did help us out. But since DH no longer grows tobacco, the farm is just pastureland for the horses. However, our accountant will not even allow deductions for fuel and machine repair and upkeep to keep the pastures mowed off. Now that doesn't make sense to me. Nor will she allow depreciation on the barns that house the equipment. DH does grow alfalfa and cuts and bales it for the horses, and if he has extra sells that. So looks like we would qualify for some kind of deductions for the farming that is done here.

Ah, as I said, when the tax season is officially over, we will be having our neighbor who is an accountant look at our returns to see if there is anything she thinks that she could do to help us out. It isn't as though we are rich. Well you know that SS and a little retirement income couldn't make us millionaires.

I am off to bed, even if I don't feel really sleepy.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 16, 2011
9:08 PM

Post #8501002

Esther. The Northern terminus of Rte 93 is in Akron. Back in '93 my wife and I decided we would like to follow it all the way South. (gas was cheap then) I chickened out when we saw tobacco growing and headed back home. We were just learning about our new state, having moved here in '92. It was fun.
Got the floors cleaned, but it about killed my back. Worst than gardening. Why I only do it once a month unless I expect company which I don't encourage. Just one of the joys of living alone.
Herman
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 17, 2011
9:29 AM

Post #8501807

fig tree wrapped

Thumbnail by salix_man

salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 17, 2011
9:35 AM

Post #8501815

Unwrapped. Buds just starting to swell.Hope we don't get a frost. I won't untie it until all danger is past

Thumbnail by salix_man

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
11:31 AM

Post #8501992

That is amazing! Can't wait to see it fully leafed out!

Getting my buns kicked outside. Watering, rearranging plants, moved the chicken coop for an extra sunny hoophouse, moved the old metal bunk bed for a shade house. Need plastic, need soil mix, need flats. It's awful to be so darn good at this. LOL

It's warm but windy today. Hot in the greenhouse, pleasant outside. Hubby is gone all day and I have the kids helping. One just got Nolan down for a nap. He's really not happy about this weaning thing...poor guy.

Off to work some more.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
12:39 PM

Post #8502100

OK, I'm cheating & seeing what y'all are up to. Taxes are abt 50% done, but I'm missing one bank statement. I'm also looking all over for some cortisone cream because I got some kind of rash on my feet & ankles last week & I can't think straight for being so itchy. Two years from now I'll find the bank stuff in a medecine drawer and the cortisone cream with the tax papers!

Herman, the first picture looked like you had kidnapped one of the Blue Man group, LOL. Certainly looks healthy when it's unwrapped, tho.
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
2:16 PM

Post #8502314

I did some Wave Petunia hanging baskets, moved my sprouted Hem seeds out to the chicken coop and moved the shade plants out to the bunk bed with a blue cover and I'm still rearranging! As soon as I can get some clear plastic, all the tomatoes are moving out too. They can live with the Hem seedlings. Did I mention I need a bigger greenhouse??
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8502460

I'm still feeling cruddy, but did go out to the hoop house to check on seeds I started last week before I got sick. Apparently I have a hungry mouse living in there too. All of the seeds which were melons, cukes, pumpkin, squash, zuchinni and egg plant were lying between the flats where the critter obviously took them after he dug them out. I'm not a happy camper, and about to go load multiple traps with peanut butter and hopefully get rid of the thing or thing(s)

I moved my tomatoes out there, so I have free shelves in the house I guess to re-start everything.

Wish you were closer Chele, I've got room in mine... me thinks you need to build a permanent hoophouse where the greenhouses were.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 17, 2011
3:54 PM

Post #8502496

Spent the afternoon re-disarranging the garage and packing the wrappings away.
fun folding with the wind. A little earlier on the fig this year. Less mildew than last year. That is from using plastic. At present, the fig is about 6' high. Will be over the edge of the garage by fall. The parent tree was about 15' tall. I helped wrap it on Thanksgiving Mornings. Needed a step ladder. Anna had big canvas tarps. They were heavy.
I was a lot younger then.
Herman

salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 17, 2011
3:58 PM

Post #8502504

Didn't watch the water in the tray under the pepper seeds. Hope I caught it in time. Think I'll replant just in case
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
5:09 PM

Post #8502663

Melissa, are you going to be able to get in at the doctor's tomorrow? You need to go if you still feel that bad. Are the seeds still good or no way to tell them apart/they already got wet and dried?

I'd like to put a big hoophouse on that gravel pad but I'd also like to pour concrete so the kids could have a half court. Most importantly I'd like to get the heck out of this school district!

I've got more seeds to start but now I'm completely out of seed mix and completely out of money. We are going to be struggling to get through to pay day and that will be gone when it gets here. Grrr.

I feel ya on the wind Herman! I was trying to throw an old greenhouse cover over an old metal bunk bed and am lucky they didn't find me like a mummy in the yard. LOL The kids ended up helping me get it in place and weight it down with wood. The Astilbe, Hosta and bleedling hearts are "in the bed" now. Hey, whatever works!

I guess you'll have to get in the habit of checking your seeds around the same time every day. Thankfully they are easier once they are up! Hope you didn't lose them! Had they sprouted yet?

Just ate a salad and am about to eat some chicken Alfredo and garlic bread. Then I badly need a shower if I'm allowed to have a turn!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8502703

I sure hope I can get in to the doctor tomorrow. If not, I'll have to do urgent care, as much as I do NOT want to. The seeds were all chewed open, and whatever was inside eaten up. I thought some of the seeds were at the top the last time I looked, but I just didn't pay that close of attention... today, it was obvious.

Herman, I'd love to have a fig grow like that... that would be so cool!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
6:11 PM

Post #8502802

Pat, I do hope you find the bank statement, and it is not in the medicine cabinet. Why do they let old farts like us live alone? We need full time keepers. I have a DH, but he is not qualified to be a keeper, he can't remember where he puts the remote when he goes to the toilet!

Chele, you are really shuffling things around. I sure am hoping that this will be your best year ever. Weaning? Oh, no, bet that is going to be some fun times ahead.

Herman, had to laugh at Pat's comment about kidnapping one of the blue men. I have to suggest in order to keep suspense high in your neighborhood, buy different colored tarps and change them out from year to year.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 17, 2011
6:20 PM

Post #8502836

I layer a couple stems each year. They don't develop enough root to sustain themselves. I pot and over-winter in the basement. After a year or 2, I washed all the soil off and shipped one to my son in FL. It didn't like his soil so he potted it and now is growing nicely. I've never tried rooting cuttings, but it should be do-able.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 17, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8502862

Bonnie, this old fart lives alone and the remote is always where I leave it, beside my chair. No one complains about the position of the toilet seat and the reason i have to use a shovel and hoe to clean house is, I can't get a bobcat through the door.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
7:10 PM

Post #8502970

hehe, I hear you on that.

I hope you all know that I kid about my DH and all his foiables. We all have them, just different kinds. We wouldn't have been married 46 years if he was so bad, or maybe we wouldn't have been married 46 years unless I was so good!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
8:06 PM

Post #8503118

Just great. Craig came home from work and we were in the middle of a movie. He grabbed dinner and sat down. Next thing we know, there is a pop and the screen goes blank. $200 bulb blew. Bye bye TV. Don't know when we'll get around to replacing the bulb.

Tomorrow is officially 2 weeks since Craig's interview. Wonder if they have an answer yet. Shouldn't be that hard...

Guess I'm headed to bed.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 17, 2011
8:15 PM

Post #8503147

I think we all have good and bad times. Accepting and working together is what makes things work. The wife and I had almost 43 years. The last few were the best. Less stress because the kids were on their own, maybe less money problems. She took care of the house, I took care of the yard. We both liked long rides in the country.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
8:25 AM

Post #8503821

Any chance anyone has a picture of Perilla tricolor that I can borrow? I can't seem to find mine!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
10:47 AM

Post #8504094

If I knew what I was I might have. LOL, no I don't. Back from lunch out with Janet. I always enjoy her company, let's just say we discussed things that trouble us, and leave it at that!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
12:34 PM

Post #8504266

I used the one from the company where I got my cuttings which is functional for what they sell but not functional for what I sell. LOL It'll do for now. I'll have my own soon enough.

Chuckling about your last statement Bonnie. Were any husbands harmed in the making of that lunch conversation??

It's kind of muggy out today. It's windy and warm but it's the kind of day that just makes me want to nap! We mowed a bit and watered the greenhouse and the other plants and that is about it. The only other thing I did was make some updates to my site. Sadly, I've wiped out the daylily pages. :( No sense teasing people with what they can't have. sigh.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
6:24 PM

Post #8504946

Unless someone talks, no husbands were harmed. They may have burning ears, but it is an injury that they will survive. We have decided that our DH's are twins separated at birth.

Chele, come and dig my daylilies, but you will have to wait until they bloom to identify them. I have tags all over that area. It amazes me that the heaving of the ground can send them flying. I am thinking about putting a classified ad on here, and just stating that they are all named daylilies, but have been separated from their tags, and selling the excess fans, when I dig and divide.

Have some more tomatoes to transplant tomorrow. Will put them in my little 4 shelf mini greenhouse, but will have to figure out a way to anchor it, so that it doesn't go flying away. Wish I had some croquet wickets to anchor them to the ground. May have to look in the barn to see if there is some old fence that I can take the wire cutters to.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2011
6:27 PM

Post #8504958

Melissa meant to ask, did you get a Dr appointment, even if you had to go to Urgent care? Is it the dratted ORV crud? I had a cold and it has left a lingering cough that just won't go away. Hope you feel better soon.

Pat did you get the income taxes done? I sent off our hugh contribution on Saturday, and in the mail today, we have a notice that our 2009 return is being audited, and preliminary figures show that we will owe another 1200. This keeps up, I am not going to have enough money to but a packet of flower seeds much less a greenhouse.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8505135

Oh Bonnie, I'm so sorry about the taxes.

My doctor must have the creeping crud too, because his office was closed today. So, instead of Urgent care, I went to the emergency room. I figured I'd have less of a wait, and the difference in the co pay is only 25.00. I have Step, and they gave me a great big shot. Hopefully it starts working. I'm supposed to go with some of my sophomores to the Vocational school tomorrow... and believe me, I'm really not feeling like it!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 18, 2011

Post #8505144

I can't figure out these guys that only like grass!
A certain Hosta lover, man, on here has a saying, "no future in grass."
I to would rather be weeding flowers than sitting on the rider getting a wide butt.
My rider has a problem right now, but my tiller works fine, so look out grass!

We planted some more strawberries in the beds in one of our greenhouses today.
We ordered 1000, but must be lots of overrun. We have 21 beds, 48 to a bed, going to be a lot of extra plants. Probably put some out in the ground.

Figuring another cabinet job. So have three to do by end of May.

KY RU is set for Sept 16, 17, & 18.
Always look forward to that.

Bernie
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 18, 2011

Post #8505146

I just spent 113 minutes talking to my sister in CT Time flies. time to bring the cats in before they become coyote food. Had a quiet day. Wish everyone good health and good night.
Herman
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 18, 2011
7:23 PM

Post #8505166

Melissa, use the peppers in a chili after you remove the seeds. That should cure what ails you
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
6:25 AM

Post #8506014

Melissa actually has Strep. LOL I guess her drugs haven't kicked in. She has felt awful for the past week.

Bonnie, glad to hear no harm was done. Hope you bribed the server not to rat you out.

Bernie, that is a LOT of strawberries! If I had somewhere to put them, I'd be begging for some. I got the railroad ties moved for the raised veggie beds but I need to buy some 2x10 or something for the front ends. I only had 4 half ties and put those at the back. I guess it's easier to by lumber than to try to find four 1/2 ties. Who knows?? My chain saw is dead so I can't buy 2 whole ones and cut them. Then I still need to move dirt into the beds. I figure I can put a good 2" layer of rabbit poop in each one. The barn didn't get cleaned out last summer.

I like grass but only because it looks nice between the flower beds and keeps people from walking in the flower beds!

I don't feel like I've gotten any sleep at all. I think the first time the storm woke me was around 2am and I think every crack of thunder woke Nolan up after that. I drove the younger kids up to the bus and it wasn't raining but it was still rumbling and lightning. Now it's storming like crazy again. I guess I won't be mowing again for a few days.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8506057

We had rumbles of thunder and flashes of lightening during the night, but little rain. However, we are under a severe thunderstorm warning for today and tonight, with the best threat of severe weather tonight.

Mr. B got me up twice last night, but when the thunder and lightening started, he just laid very close to me. He has become so scared of storms. I may have to see if I can get a sound track of storms to play every night to keep him inside and in bed!

Chele, are you giving Nolan a sippy cup of milk before bedtime? Poor fella, that has to be really hard for him.

Bernie, thats a bunch of strawberries. We can go to a Upick just down the road and get our berries much cheaper than we can raise them. (DH is friends with the owner) They sure are good though.

Well, I had my first humming bird this morning, so have put out fresh food. Don't know if this is a scout, or if they moved in and I just didn't notice.

Heading to the garden shed, I have two more trays of tomatoes to transplant.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2011
7:11 AM

Post #8506109

Chele, I have no idea what kind of daylilies you had, or are interested in. I would be happy to make crosses for you and send seeds to you. I love making the crosses, but can't grow the myself any more. Let me know what you like and I can send you a list of possible parents.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 19, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8506316

I need a mower on pontoons
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 19, 2011
9:28 AM

Post #8506419

Bonnie, tent stakes and tie down straps work fairly well on that greenhouse. I've also put it up next to something like a board fence and run baling twine up and over the top and tied it down that way.

Got my 13 flats of plants planted yesterday after Bonnie and I had lunch. 4 hours of standing on my head. I'm flat out amazed I'm even moving this morning. I wish it'd rain just on those 9 rows. Planted a row of tomatoes too. We'll see how often I have to go down there and cover them up.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8506879

Herman, I hear ya on the pontoon! I keep kidding about getting a fan boat with a blade attachment. LOL I've officially seen the most water here that I've ever seen! It crossed our road again, bad enough that they put up a blinking caution sign. It's nearly up to the road everywhere. Can't see the ditches and the fields look like lakes. I read that they had to evacuate part of Covington and a school in Fairfield had to cancel afternoon kindergarten because the parking lot was full.

Yay! The first hummingbird! The wildlife is alive here! The birds have been chirping up a storm and the frogs have too. When I put Nolan down for a nap, I can hear them through the baby monitor.

The greenhouse has been shut up since last night and I finally got out there to water. Everything is doing so awesome! It's starting to be a job to keep the tomatoes moist which is perfect! They'll be very happy to move out early to mid May. I'm hoping a lot of them find new homes in a hurry! I started that tray of hyacinth beans, moonflower vines and castor beans a few days ago and one of the vines is up about an inch already. I just don't remember which. Ahem. I was busy attacking a wasp and forgot. There is a bee in there too. I guess they prefer the greenhouse to the the downpours. It looks like all the cuttings are doing great too! I'm hoping to make a soil run tomorrow and pick up a roll of plastic so I can move more stuff out. I definitely need a bigger greenhouse! A bigger budget would be good too. hahaha

Jules, that is a super sweet offer! I was mainly focusing on large flowers, tall stems and eyes on UFOs and spiders. I like pretty much anything and I'm not a DIP snot. :) I always have a deal with people that send me seeds, that if I come out with anything they really like, they are entitled to have part of it back. I'm not selfish. I had over 550 named cultivars and now I'm down to about 3 dozen. I noticed I have some fans here and there that were missed when they were dug. Since I have maps, it should not be a problem to figure out who they are. I also have quite a few seedlings of my own and more seeds started. I went ahead and started everything I had but many were bee pods. All the seedlings and unsprouted seeds are outside now. I figure they can take care of themselves now.

I'll be glad to see all the veggies and annuals go so I can concentrate on my consignment job and growing some other fun stuff. I have all kinds of neat trees growing from both seeds and cuttings right now. I'm excited!

Speaking of which, if anyone had seeds for trees or shrubs and knows for sure what they are, I'd be happy to trade for them.

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2011
2:25 PM

Post #8506932

Hmmmm. I don't have many eyes. I do have tall, UF and spidery. And, my friend Bob said he will have pollen I can use in this project! He has a lot of new stuff.

Oh... Fun ahead!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
2:48 PM

Post #8506958

That sounds great! I love the unusual. I seemed to buy in waves and ended up with so many that were similar. It's fun to come up with something a little different. When I get around to buying something again, it's definitely going to be something unusual! LOL

This is a favorite with a pretty big flower.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
2:49 PM

Post #8506961

This is one Calif_Sue shared with me.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
2:50 PM

Post #8506962

This is another favorite from Calif_Sue.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
2:53 PM

Post #8506968

LOVE this one. It's quite tall, probably 4'. I have it written down somewhere.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
2:58 PM

Post #8506974

Really hoping this one makes it! It's a mini spider, about 8" tall. I died laughing when I saw it.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
3:00 PM

Post #8506979

Another that I like.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
3:40 PM

Post #8507056

This is another tall one! I think this was one from Calif_Sue. I don't have my records handy.

Whoops! I never hit send. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
3:45 PM

Post #8507068

Believe it or not, I'm still arguing with the twit from the consignment shop. I've been trying to get my stuff back since October 7th. She has not been opened since October 16th. How flipping patient is a person supposed to be??

This one is not jaw dropping but I so love a nice bubble gum pink!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
3:47 PM

Post #8507073

A nice big red.

Guess I better go cook dinner. Yay. pffffggght!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
4:18 PM

Post #8507173

Chele,

Ooo, ooo, ohhh! I LOVE the old-fashioned look of the ruffled edges and soft creamy throats!! Will you have any of those plants to sell, or will you be waiting until you regroup and get more stock built up?

I had one real similar to the first ruffled one you showed. I bought it from Bert at egarden. Gosh it was lovely.
Last summer, it just wasn't there! I have no idea what happened to it. Even DH asked about it. It was one of his favorites aaaaaaaaand I'd like to find another similar to plant in his memory. I lost him last month.

I can sure empathize with the flooding in your area. My town sits right on the banks of the Mississippi River, and even with all our flood preparation, our downtown area is being quickly swallowed up in overflow. And it just keeps pouring down rain. What a miserable day, as it's brrr! cold and windy too. Thank goodness my home is at the highest point of town.

I wish you soo much success and happiness that you can't contain it all. (((Chele and family)))

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
4:34 PM

Post #8507198

Howdy! The one from Bert, was it "French Lingerie"? When you said that, that is one he had that came to mind. I had that one. Don't remember seeing it when I went out to look. :(

All the ones I posted are seedlings. I haven't decided whether to name them, part with them or sell them. LOL Even if they aren't of registering quality, I may hybridize with some of them or may move them out to the beds. They were hard to part with when I had close to 600 daylilies and I imagine it's worse now. Hmph.

Wait! Did you just say you lost your husband last month? Tell me I read that wrong! If that is what you said, I will certainly come up with one for you that you like. None of the ones above have names. So they'll need them if they are keepers. hint hint.

I don't get too excited about the water unless I can't get out of the yard. Eventually it recedes and I don't think we are in any real danger. It's more just a pain in the butt because it means the yard stays wet and the kids and dogs drag in extra mud and water.

Even with all we've been through, we are getting by. I haven't given up yet and I don't intend to any time soon. I'm very thankful for the well wishes.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 19, 2011
5:07 PM

Post #8507278

The "bubblegum pink" looks like one I have called Karen Sue.EX- GF has one called cabbageflower, double yellow that sometimes reblooms. After last week I have 3 fans.
I bought 5 from a guy in WV, named H. Thunbergii. (Plant, not seller) Supposed to be 6 ft tall. Only one lived and never got a foot high or bloomed in 3 years. I have it in a pot not sure where I will put it here. Do you know anything about this plant? I went to PF, but don't have time to search all day lilies before I die.
Herman
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011

Post #8507328

Reporting in from the floodlands---- which is not supposed to be where I live now. But, in addition to having the icemaker on the freezer broken & getting repaired, the circuit breaker to the disposal is broken & won't reset, AND one of the kitchen GCSF outlets makes the living room light blink on & off (?), and all the basement drains backed up, leaving me with standing water & a headache to boot. I'm waiting on Metropolitan Sewer District people to come and tell me if I can file a claim or not. Not a good day. I'm not even sure who I can call to clean up the basement. Only one of the drains had ever backed up before, & that one wasn't too bad. This time, it's bad.
So I'm on the phone with the electricians & plumbers & MSD and my DS wants to talk about whether she needs to order rolls for Easter. Puh-leeze!

We got 2.53 inches of rain here today, all of it before 1pm.
Grumpy---- I mean, Pat
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2011
5:39 PM

Post #8507339

Herman,
Is this your plant? http://www.telmarcgardens.com/thunbergeri.htm
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
5:58 PM

Post #8507389

Herman, I always said I was going to buy "Karen Sue" as it's my SIL's name. Never got around to it. I had "Cabbage Flower" before I had to sell out last year. I actually like doubles! I had several. The only one I think I have left is "Double Pompon".

The easiest way to search the Plant Files here on DG is by Genus and species or Genus and cultivar name. Sometimes you can do okay with common names. Hemerocallis thunbergii is a species daylily. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56521/ I would think it would like a sunny moist spot. Most of the species are fairly easy to grow, such as the natives. I've not personally grown that one. I have a few species that I'm not positive of the ID.

Oh, Pat. I'm so sorry you are having such a bad day. :( Sounds like you have a couple of gremlins working against you. Anything I can do?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
6:09 PM

Post #8507420

Interesting info on Hemerocallis thunbergii:

http://www.sunfarm.com/picks/hemerocallisthunbergii-123338.phtml
http://www.hemerocallis-species.com/HS/Species/thu_e.htm
http://www.lazyssfarm.com/Plants/Perennials/H_files/Hemerocallis.htm (scroll to very bottom).

There are a bunch of sites if you google. :)

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 19, 2011
6:34 PM

Post #8507482

Wow, that's the only daylily I really like, and can't find it locally. Now at least I can order it online.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
7:06 PM

Post #8507587

Pat I am so sorry about all your problems. Well, yes dinner rolls are important, it is a wonder that you didn't pull your DS through the phone and beat her senseless, with all you have going on! The weather was cloudy here today, with a brisk wind, but no rain, and the temps got up to 83. We are under a severe thunderstorm warning all of tonight, with tornados possible. It will probably be a horrible storm as Mr. B has been under the bed since 6:00, and refuses to come out.

Chele, pretty flowers. One of the eyed ones look like "eye on america". Sure hope that I can get more of mine properly identified this year. Still haven't done any digging and dividing, and was just wondering, would it be better to wait until they bloom before doing that?

Celene, surely you like other daylilies too. It is a shame to only like one, where there are hundreds out there. Dog question: Is there anything that I can do to help desensitize Mr. B from the fear of storms. I bought him a Thundershirt and tried it, and don't really have an opinion if it worked or not. Didn't/haven't had a chance to put it on him tonight, as he is dug in under the bed. I can see him, talk to him, but can't reach him to pull him out. He is not coming out on his own, no way, now how.

Finished potting up all my tomato babies, some annuals and perennials today, got them settled in the little mini greenhouses, watered everything well today. Didn't try to put them outside today because the wind was really blowing. I think I can put the greenhouses up next to the side of the garage, and anchor them, and they will be okay. After all the work, if they turned over and broke lots of plants, I would be unconsolable.

Janet, wow 9 rows of cabbage is a lot. When you put out the tomatoes, will you have row covers handy for the frost that will surely come between now and May 10-15? Hope you don't have to make the trip to cover then really often.

Have my second epidural tomorrow, and need to be in Louisville at 9:30, for my 10:00 appointment. I made the appointment early so I can get home and rest before heading out to Bible study tomorrow night. I didn't have any problems last time, but I am sure that they will tell me to take it easy, and do nothing for a couple of days. If it rains, I have lots I can do inside, Oh, I am not supposed to paint, clean woodwork or hang curtains, am I? hehe.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 19, 2011
7:27 PM

Post #8507642

I don't set much stock in thundershirts, but that is my personal experience. You can desensitize dogs to storms, but it's more effective for some individuals than others, and most dogs with serious anxiety still do better with an anxiety medication. Lots of people are given sedatives for this, but that just makes them anxious more slowly...anxiolytic drugs are really a better choice, because the dog's anxiety is mitigated and it can actually learn. I like anxiolytic drugs like alprazolam, used with food-dispensing toys like Twist N Treats or Kibble Nibbles with high value treats, because eating and chewing releases endorphins and makes the dogs feel better. The dogs learn that there can be big noises, but nothing really bad happens, and they get to chew their treat balls. Know that some dogs are made so anxious by the noises that they always need an anxiety drug to get through it safely, it's not any failure in training or badness in the dog, any more than claustrophobia would be in a human.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2011
7:33 PM

Post #8507653

Pat, I'm so sorry about the problems!

Bonnie, good luck tomorrow, I hope all goes well!!

I feel better, as Chele pointed out, I actually have StRep, not Step... but, like I told Chele, this afternoon it was like a fog lifted and I realized I felt better it was nice.

Trip to the vocational school was actually fun... a bus full of 15 and 16 year olds in the pouring rain, and of course I left my umbrella in my room... but once we got there, I just kind of wandered around the different departments and got to see some of my former students. That was really nice. It's nice to see so many kids who struggled in traditional school thriving in the vocational school. :)

I even managed to go out and check the tomatoes... all still well. I need to get the rest of mine transplanted and out there, and I need to start new flats of everything the mice ate... hopefully with a 4 day weekend coming up, I can manage that, even with youngest's birthday Saturday.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011

Post #8507660

Thanks celene. I haven't had him to the vet for this problem as it is a very recent development. We will see how he handles it tonight, and then I will make an appointment with the vet if he doesn't do well. I just feel so bad for him to be so scared and there is not much I can do to alleviate the fear. Holding and cuddling is all I knew to do, and it did help, but with him under the bed refusing to come out, I can't do anything tonight.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 19, 2011

Post #8507669

Try giving him a chew toy, like a rawhide, with some peanut butter, cheese, or meat. I've used an empty plastic cup with spray cheez food in the bottom, peanut butter, or a slice of bologna. If you can get him to relax enough to eat, it's huge progress.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
7:41 PM

Post #8507679

Will do.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 19, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8507685

Let me know if that isn't working. If your vet will use alprazolam instead of acepromazine, you'll do worlds better being able to desensitize her, IMHO. Not all drugs being appropriate for all patients.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 19, 2011
8:05 PM

Post #8507749

Thanks, Chele for the sites. I got it from the 1st site. I have not had good results from him and have consigned him to my spam box. Guess that is what it will look like if I get it to grow. I could send you Karen sue, but I'm not sure where it is now. that part of the bed was over grown with miscanthus and I lost the label. I'll have to wait for the bloom. Have to take the grub hoe to the grass. Center died.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2011
8:26 PM

Post #8507787

Yay! Tornado watch and flood watch. It should be an interesting night. The rain keeps starting and stopping. Thank goodness our dogs don't freak out because I get enough of that from the kids...

I'm sorry Herman. I am not suggesting anyone buy from any of the above links. I only recommend sellers that I buy from and had good results from their products. I was just listing a couple of points of reference. When it comes to daylilies, I can usually come up with several good sources. I have friends that are into species and I WAS on a Historic site with tons of photos but it was taken down. I don't know if it was lack of interest or financial reasons or just a time issue. I really miss the Historic site as it had great photos and listings for who was growing them. If you want to try them again from another source, I'd be glad to locate a true daylily person for you.

I don't know if you were going for size or color or fragrance. I do grow this one and still have it but I don't know how much I have. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/6341/ It's a late bloomer and every bit of 6' here! It's in a bed that is under water a good part of the year!

I was going to tell you to divide that grass but knowing about all your bionic parts...I have a few that I'm going to hoist out of the ground and divide soon. I have some giants that are getting out of control. LOL

Bonnie, maybe sometime in June, if finances are okay, I can take a road trip and check out your daylilies in bloom. I feel fairly certain that I can help you get the tags straightened out. I'm betting you have records of what you bought. Unless they all look alike, I think we'd do okay. :P

Okay, Craig is home and Nolan is worn out so I guess it's time to crash. I was awake a lot last night due to the storms.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2011
12:04 AM

Post #8507982

Too geared up after all the storms to sleep at the moment.
Thanks for the empathy abt DS and the flooded basement. There was a guy on the news tonight saying that Cincinnati's sewer system was designed to deal with only a maximum of 3 inches of rain per hour. At one point it was almost 7 inches per hour today, so that explains quite a bit. Will have to try & find a cleaning company later today, & see if the insurance adjuster has to come and see the wet basement, or whether he'll take the MSD employee's report.
Bonnie, the sister that was worrying about rolls was Cathy, the sister that lives with me. That makes it worse, doesn't it, if she can actually see what's going on & still wants to discuss Easter dinner! Susan is the schoolteacher sister who lives a couple blocks from here, & the one I went to Washington DC with.

The barometric pressure got really low tonight. Cathy asked me what it was & I said that babies were popping out all over because of it. I worked Labor & Delivery during the blizzard of '78, and there were more babies born on that shift than any other time the staff could remember. People talk about the full moon, but as far as birthin' babies, my money is on barometric pressure shifts!

Pat
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 20, 2011
6:02 AM

Post #8508367

Chele, if you make it down here you'd better darned well come see me too! We could make a 20 minute road trip to Kirchhoff's too!

Bonnie, I'm hoping there aren't too many trips to cover plants. That's why I only planted one row. I figured I'd wait a little longer to get the rest of them in the ground. I need to get some other stuff in the ground as soon as it warms up.

Wind got right last night. We went to the basement and I'm about to fall asleep now as I didn't get in bed until 2:00.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2011
8:15 AM

Post #8508615

Not funny about the sewer mess. Hubby came home from work in a bit of a mood. I guess they had to snake the sewer lines where he works. Apparently the smell was pretty vile. Now, why would they do that with a building full of people?? It closes at 10:30. I'm thinking they could have done it at 11:00?? Geeze!

The kids were out playing in the yard a couple of weeks ago and said it smelled bad. Then they heard a gurgling sound. I went to look/smell. Just above the septic clean out, it was actually hissing/gurgling. Typical me, I feared it would explode off. I have "poop explosion" nightmares. LOL Been afraid of them since I was little and they had to come open ours. My big brother and sister kept threatening to throw me in. :( Anyway, Craig said it was probably all the blasted rain. I just hope it doesn't back up under the house because *somebody* still has not capped off the pipe the previous owners left open! As soon as it dries up, he is going under and doing that!

Pat, I sure hope your mess gets taken care of by the insurance company. That is just too much to deal with, especially with the other stuff you have going on. :( I assure you no babies popped out of me last night. For that matter, they won't any time soon. hahahahaha

Janet, I was thinking you were clear on the other side of KY. It must be floweringchild that I'm thinking of. I guess you can't be that far away if you lunch with Bonnie and I just remembered where you work. Blond moment. Hopefully, I can get down there and come see you too. My girls love David and Mortt! We've seen them a few times up here. David was so kind as to talk about how beautiful I was when I was pregnant with Nolan. We were at the Bachman's New Year's Day party. Thankfully they told me after he left. I would have been so embarrassed!

Okay, hubby and Nolan are on the way out and I've got to hit the shower. Hopefully headed to the nursery again for soil-less mix.

Y'all take care!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2011
10:57 AM

Post #8508934

Wow, yep, better get that sewer line issue fixed! I talked to someone who lived in a house where it backed up under the house, and they had to move, they were so sick all the time. The house has to be bulldozed!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 20, 2011
5:53 PM

Post #8509746

I'm not planning on adding any more plants (famous last words) until I get rid of overgrowth of the ones I have. I only got an inch of rain, but back yard still hasn't dried out from snow melt. I may have to move the veggies to the front yard. Person from Craig's list will help me get rid of a few plants tomorrow.
I don't have a problem with my bionic parts, they are all new. It's the original equipment that bothers me No factory recalls on them.
I will not complain about a little water in my basement again.
Possible frost tonight. Moved potted figs inside, brugmansias to under the spruce tree. Big fig not advanced enough to worry about. Wind may prevent frost, but why chance it.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2011
6:52 PM

Post #8509893

Well, I guess it got wicked bad here last night, but at my regular bedtime, told DH goodnight, and headed down the hall. He said "you going to bed? I am going to stay up a bit and see what it does." I told him "wake me if we are in the path of a tornado, and we can go to our safe place together!" I slept right through it. Mr. B found a corner in my closet, and I guess as long as he doesn't see the lightening, he is better. I am sure he doesn't like the storms, but at least he wasn't trembling and hyperventilating. Poor guy.

Chele, that is a good plan. You can come down, and we can make arrangements to go to Janets to see her daylilies, and excuse me, but I am inviting myself to go with you to Kirchoff's. Yes that is flowering child who lives in Western Kentucky, and Bluegrass mom lives down that way too. I say every year when I go to the Ky RU, that I am going to stop off at her place. But then again, I haven't been to the RU in 3 years. May happen again this year.

Pat, does your sister help you worry about stuff at the house? I think you all should take turns! I am sorry for your mess, but with a good cleaning company, you will never know that it happened. I was trying to tell you the name of a very reputable company here, but my brain has sprung leaks tonight!

Janet, I am sure that there will be a couple of trips to cover the tomatoes. Always have that late frost that tries to catch everyone off guard. I tried to get everything in pretty good shape Tuesday afternoon, as I will be following Dr's orders tomorrow to take it easy. They warned me last time that I may have a bad headache, but didn't. I am making up for it this time. Developed the headache about the time we got home, and they told me to drink any caffeine laden drinks, and plenty of them, along with some Tylenol. I took my iced tea to Bible Study with me tonight!! It is better, and I am hoping that it is gone when I get up in the morning.

Herman, hope the frost, if it comes, isn't too bad. You are wise to take precautions, as it is better safe than sorry.

Melissa, are you feeling better? Sure hope that you get over the Strep fast. DGD called tonight, and she is going to the Dr tomorrow, seems she has Strep every time she turns around. When will you be out of school? I think DGD told me last night that their last day is May 27th. They started a bit earlier this year, to try to avoid such a late dismissal because of snow days.

Well, I am heading off to bed, and hope that I sleep as soundly tonight as last night. No storm warnings here tonight, but already talking about the storms that will be moving in on Friday!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2011
7:07 PM

Post #8509935

Good news, bad news. Good: my dear DIL has gone to the mat for her grandmother, who's in a nursing home & is not getting even reasonable care. So she's gotten into gear & is preparing to bring Grandma home! She's got fire in her eyes, & looks like she has more energy than she has in ages. I know the energy won't last taking care of someone full time, but at least she feels like she's got a purpose!
Bad news is my insurance tells me I have to have flood coverage to get the basement cleanup covered, which I don't have. The usual insurance double switch-- you're covered for everything until you need it, & then you find out you're not covered at all. Guess I'll be shopping for a new insurance company soon.
I called the plumber & he thinks I should just find a way to divert some of the roof run-off into the yard. Not sure how to do that since the yard is a giant sponge most of the time anyhow, but he's sending his father out to figure it out. Father is abt a million years old but at least that means he has a million years worth of experience, eh?
Pat
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2011
7:43 PM

Post #8510024

Right Pat. I am so sorry about the insurance issue. You are right, we are all supposed to turn into lawyers, and read every word of the fine print, and then be able to read between the lines also. Well, if the father is still able to get around, he may have some good advice on how to divert some of the water. But I wouldn't spend thousands on it, because how many times in a given period will you have such rainfall? Do you have a sump pump? Maybe that would be enough to keep the basement dry when it rains that much.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2011
7:58 PM

Post #8510054

I agree with Bonnie, Pat... Sump pump might be your best option. One of my friends at work has a basement that floods at the slightest bit of rain... she keeps a sump pump in there all the time, it's on some kind of timer...

I'm feeling a little better, at least my throat is. I still can't talk very long without going into a coughing fit, and my students don't seem to mind that at all for some reason? LOL but, I'm still achy and yucky feeling. I hope DGD is ok, this stuff is the pits!!

We're out May 27th too, and I actually think we get a 2 hour early dismissal that day... then we get to go back for Graduation that night. We aren't "required" to attend, but it's "highly recommended" that we go... I've been to graduations where there are only a handful of teacher there, and I never understood it... I mean, as a high school teacher, this is our goal... that they graduate and begin lives as productive citizens... why would you not want to be there to celebrate with them? I just don't like the part where we have to walk in like we're graduating too... all the people are there to see their kid/grandkid not us. :)

I may have to invite myself on Michele's trip south. Not sure if there's room though!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2011
8:08 PM

Post #8510073

Sure, we will make room. That will only be 4 of us. If necessary and we buy too much, we can always ask him to ship!!

Glad you are feeling better, but I am sure it will linger a few more days. Maybe on the weekend you can rest and do some of my "do nothing jobs"!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2011
8:17 PM

Post #8510100

I have a 4 day weekend, so I'm sure hoping I feel better!!
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 21, 2011
6:26 AM

Post #8510713

Bonnie, looks like right now I might be ok through next Tuesday at least. Of course it's going to rain for a lot of that time. I'd love to get some squash in the ground but I'm afraid the ground is still a little too cold and the seed will rot. I suppose I could start them in the house but that's a lot of trouble and I always think they look a little puny. I'll just have to see. Got some onion sets I still want to get in the ground. I saved back some seed potatoes to plant this fall. Put them in the cooler and for some reason the stupid thing went down to 30 degrees. Lost most of the ones in the burlap sacks but the ones that were in the paper sack came out ok. I guess the paper offered just a bit more protection. I'm learning a lot about that cooler.

Melissa, glad you're feeling a little better. You're more than welcome to come down. I wish our last day of school was the 27th. Instead it's the 3rd of June. The same day oldest DD is getting married. Youngest DD is a bridesmaid so she's going to have to take her exams early so she can spring from the joint early. For some reason she wants to go the last day. That's going to mess with our schedules that day for sure. I'm starting to line up some friends to help make sure this wedding goes a little smoothly. I think my daughter is starting to feel the stress.

I'm doing Easter dinner for my side of the family and haven't started the first bit of cleaning. At the rate I'm going it may not happen at all. We have market on Saturday and won't get done until at least 4:00 by the time we get everything bagged up and put away. Guess I'll be flying by the seat of my pants. As per usual.

Pat, what a bummer. Our toilet overflowed here the other day. I figured it was the septic tank and we had it pumped. Things were fine for exactly 12 hours and the toilet did it again. Then the tub wouldn't drain. DH had to come home from market on Sunday and start working on that. It seems that they didn't clean the lines from the house to the septic like they were supposed to. GRRRRR!!!!

Chele, had Craig heard anything on the job or did I miss that somewhere in the above postings?
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
6:31 AM

Post #8510724

Oh, Janet, the septic tank gremilins have landed. Hope that goes well, and is fixed soon. I don't think anything could be planted here, unless it was water lilies or some aquatic plants.

Sun is shining, and the weather although a bit cool right now, promises to be a great day, and here I sit, tapping my foot, and making myself read, when all I want to do is go out and play outside. Trying to be good, and follow Dr's orders, so we will see how long that lasts.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
7:56 AM

Post #8510884

Sorry I've not posted much. I've been on the run and standing in place at the same time!

I got out yesterday for plastic and more seed mix. I need to cover that coop I'm going to use to harden off plants and then move all the tomatoes out there. Most of them are 6-8" and I still have more to transplant. Ugh. They may never go away. LOL I need the space in my greenhouse...

Craig was supposed to hear something in 1-2 weeks. Unfortunately one of the supervisors decided to take a 2 week vacation which was last week and this week. So now I guess he won't hear something before next week. That is a horrible way to do people. They should at least notify him of why they've not made a decision or just flat out tell him we want you or don't want you. Another person said they were also told 1-2 weeks and it was over a month before they heard anything.

I just got Nolan down for his nap so I'm running out the door. Enjoy the break from my novels. hehehehe
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 21, 2011
8:21 AM

Post #8510933

good news! 2 peppers have hatched. Also 2 dahlias. These tubers are from market packs last year, the little bedding ones. More of both to come, I hope.
Herman
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
8:23 AM

Post #8510939

Yeah, Herman, I love plant births!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
4:30 PM

Post #8511949

A VERY long day already but I can crash shortly. Called a mega cleaner in to look at the basement & found a new pool of water by the lowest drain. Cleaners said that they'd have to charge 7200.00 to clean & wipe down the whole basement and everything in it. WHile I might imagine charging that if I was doing it for strangers, I couldn't imagine paying someone that (if I had it) when we were still expecting more rain. Politely said no thanks and called the plumber abt a sump pump. He said that would be for groundwater, when what I had was storm runoff, & said I should try a plunger on the floor drain, and then disconnect the downspouts and divert that water away from the house. The plunger worked, amazingly, and I got 4 guys from the halfway house to help me wipe down the floors & the plastic bins, and bring all the wet cardboard boxes up to the garage to sort. So I've got a garage full of wet boxes, but the basement looks & smells better and I didn't have to pay any seven thousand dollars. Thank you, willing volunteers! Oh, and Virgil, the regular garden guy, came & put up some 10 dollar diverters on the worst two downspouts. So I'm going to order something from whoever will deliver to my house, eat, and bathe & say my prayers.
Blessed Maundy Thursday for those who are so inclined!
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
5:11 PM

Post #8512057

Good Lord! $7200?? Why couldn't you use a sump pump to get the water out? They do make them for that. Is your drain really clogged? No tree roots I hope. There is a product called Ram Out that would probably eat a hole all the way to the road. LOL The previous owners left a bottle here and it was the best stuff ever! If you had hair or anything in the drain, it actually smoked when it ate through it. Thank Heavens for the halfway house guys. :) Good thing you have been so good to them so they come to your rescue. Speaking of, are they good on plants this year? Anything they need? I'm sorry you still have a bit of a mess to contend with but I hope you found something palatable for dinner.

I just came in. I got the coop covered and moved about 60 flats of tomatoes out of the greenhouse. I didn't not totally enclose it. During the day, I will be able to roll open the plastic and let the direct sun and wind in. Most of them are pretty big so they should be able to hold their own in the wind and be ready for the ground in a week.

Since about 16' of the greenhouse was empty, I moved in a skid and started moving my tree seedlings to that to air prune them. I pooped out. I have room for about 3-4 more skids for the rest of the trees. Tomorrow I hope to get going on cukes and squash.

Called one of my customers and he's coming up for flats to sell at his store. I need to touch base with the other. The rest of them I'll sell from my house and plant here. Anything left in a month give or take, will go to freecycle for people that can't afford to buy them.

My hyacinth beans and moonflower vines are up about 4-6". Guess I'll bump them up and start another batch. I want some for me. :)

Excellent news on the peppers Herman! Isn't it great when things go well?! I take it they didn't dry out the other day?? I'm impatiently watching over 3 pots of special pepper seeds that Melissa brought to me. I poked around in the soil and they're swollen and a couple are starting to get tiny roots. Woo hoo. I grabbed a pack of Hungarian Hot Wax at the store a few weeks ago and transplanted those today. Got the better part of a flat from one pack of seeds. It's nice to have some variety.

I need to dig around in my seed box and see what I can start next. LOL Once I get all this transplanting out of the way, I'd really like to play in my gardens! I'm hoping to get out Saturday and get my grasses cut back and possibly divide some. Several of my big variegated ones went bye bye with the sale of my daylilies. :(

Munching on a salad now. Yum yum!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 21, 2011
6:16 PM

Post #8512197

I planted the first seeds on the 13th and replanted on the 17th. More popping up.These must be from the 1st batch.
I sharpened my spade to try to cut my maiden grass. no go resorted to the axe. Gave some away, left about a third in the ground. Is the soil in the center viable? Looks good Grass maven said to replace it.
Herman

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 21, 2011
6:21 PM

Post #8512213

We finished up the Strawberry boxes & are done planting them. Now for some warm & sunny weather to make them grow. 1000 plants in the beds.

We haven't got any storms, just rainy & cold. Low last night was 32. High today was only 45 & cold wind.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
6:38 PM

Post #8512262

That sounds about right Herman. Mine took about a week to come up. I didn't use bottom heat but had the greenhouse at 75. Any chance you'd be up to trading some plants? I'd like to try your Thai peppers if you started enough to share. I'm sure I could come up with something for you. ;)

There shouldn't be anything wrong with the soil. Miscanthus naturally die out in the center. It's kind of nice though since it you get 4-5 new plants. LOL It's just a hard way to get them.

That's a whole bunch of plants Bernie! I assume you also sell strawberries at market? Are you going to cover that greenhouse or is it warm enough already to leave it open? Nice looking tables!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
6:44 PM

Post #8512277

Is it too late to start cabbage? I didn't think about it and a customer asked me if I started any. Of course he didn't have any seeds for sale right now either. LOL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2011
7:09 PM

Post #8512347

I am not an expert, but I would think in the greenhouse, and with heat that it wouldn't be too late to start cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower. May have to have some bottom heat to get them to germinate.

I was good today, did a lot of sitting, tapping my feet, reading, and finally broke down and hauled out the dust cloth and dusted the furniture, then got my long handled duster and did the ceiling fans, and knocked down some cob webs from the cathedral ceiling. That was not too strenous. Tomorrow I am free to do anything, within reason of course.

Pat, I think we need to start one of those cleaning services. Good gracious, we wouldn't have to do but about 10 jobs a year for a nice income. Hope you got supper delivered and you are not hungry on top of everything else. Glad that you got the free help from the half way house, and it will still be a mess sorting those wet boxes, but at least they are moved out of the water, and will probably dry before you get a chance to go through them. Well, I hope that the measures that have been taken are sufficient to keep most of the water away. With more rain predicted, hope you don't have to do this all over again.

Chele, sounds like things are really moving along at your place. What kind of trees do you have? And what pray tell is air pruning? Glad that the tomatoes found a new place where they can harden off and get ready to go to market. That is when the $$ start rolling in.

Herman, hope your peppers will keep coming up. Sounds like you will have a few more than what you planned on having.

Melissa, are you feeling better? Sure hope so. DGD called today and was at the Dr's office, and turns out she has a sinus infection. She called later, and she started taking the antibiotics and was just then starting to get a fever. She is supposed to come this weekend, but if she is sick, I really think she needs to stay home. If she is here, I know she will be out playing with the puppies, and from the sounds of the weather that is just not something she needs to do.

Got rid of my headache overnight last night, but it came back with a vengence this afternoon. So have taken some Tylenol, and drinking caffeine, and when I finish with that, I am going to bed. Now watch it be nasty outside tomorrow, and I can't get out and do anything.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
5:48 AM

Post #8513003

Bonnie, some of the trees are for my growing job and others are mine. :) Between the trees and shrubs, I have some Mexican Buckeyes, Texas Mountain Laurel, Corkscrew Willow, Hakuro Nishiki Willow, Meyer's Lilac, 2 different Spirea, Harry Lauder's Walking Stick, Pee Gee Hydrangea, Kumson Forsythia, waiting on some yellow buckeye's to sprout and probably some I'm not thinking of. I have some yellow twig Dogwood that I need to separate and dig up too. Then I guess I might root some of my double flowered pink Rose of Sharon.

Craig and Nolan have to run an errand so I guess I'm going to go start these cuke and squash seeds. I only have until 10am now that he's working four 10's.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 22, 2011
5:59 AM

Post #8513025

We will cover it, but leave the sides so they can be opened.
I hope to get 12 to 15 pints every other day. I sell them for $2.00 a pint.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
6:12 AM

Post #8513064

Chele, don't know if I told you that my Harry Lauder's Walking Stick that I thought was dead, made it though the drought and the winter. It has leaves, and looks like it will be fine. I am relieved, as this is the third one, and was planning on giving up on them if this one didn't make it.

I was up all night. The cortisone sometimes does that to me, so after I paid some bills and balanced some checkbooks about 6:00 a.m., laid down and slept for about an hour and a half, when the phone rang.

We have a 10:15 appointment with the accountant about the IRS audit on our 2009 taxes. Hope I can be decent to the accountant, what with the lack of sleep, and the IRS mess, may just take her head off early in the meeting. DH will be with me, so maybe he can kick me under the table to shut me up.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 22, 2011
6:34 AM

Post #8513101

Bonnie, I won't count my peppers until they are bearing after the problem I had last year with critters pulling them up.
Chele, I love my corkscrew willow.I bought the original at Big Lots for $11 in '93. With clones, my investment has yielded over 10,000%. Florists love the stuff. My pussy willows I got as cast-offs when I worked at flower shops. I can't think of any thing I need at this time or where to put it. Can I grow water chestnuts in OH? Dug an English? Walnut from one bed in a pot waiting for a decision. Planted by a squirrel that stole it from a neighbor.
Cloudy w/rain, and 42 today more rain tomorrow, and Sun. Hope it by-passes you.
Herman

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 22, 2011
8:45 AM

Post #8513328

Herman, if your peppers get munched by wildlife, I'll be happy to share. I have many hot peppers and mini-bell peppers.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 22, 2011
9:01 AM

Post #8513358

Peppers got dug up when I put corn gluten around them to suppress the weeds. Looks like one of my yellow cosmo has hatched. A volunteer in last years garden. salvaged a few seeds from the goldfinches.

Thumbnail by salix_man

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
11:38 AM

Post #8513526

The Gold Finches are wonderful watch and so pretty but they sure do a good job collecting seed. LOL

I got several more things transplanted, did some watering, started more seeds and came in to shower. Kristenne wants to take her test to get her temps for driving. Oh brother.

Castor Beans are up!

See ya guys later. Don't have too much fun.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
7:17 PM

Post #8514264

Well, Chele is either out celebrating that Kristen failed the test, or depressed that she didn't fail the test. Oh, brother, do I remember those times. You want them to do well, and ace the test, but you know what comes next. This will begin a whole new world of worry for you and Craig.

That is so horrible to tell an applicant that they will be notified in 2 weeks, and then to find out that the person decided to take a vacation before doing the notifications. I used to do the interviewing, and when I said I would call on a certain date, you better believe that I did. I know what it is like to sit and wait for the phone to ring.

DH went to the accountant's office by himself this morning, because I was so sleepy. The matter is resolved, and we will be getting a letter and a release on the audit in the mail next week. I thought it would be an easy fix, but you can't help but worry.

Janet, did you weather the storms without damage? We were under a tornado warning about 7 tonight, and the storm was very close to your house. Sure hope everything is okay. We had thunder, lightening wind and some rain, but nothing really bad.

Lou, over on the other thread brought up a saying that I remember my Grandfather saying. If it rains on Easter Sunday, It will rain for 7 Sunday's in a row. I certainly hope that is not true this year, or we will all be growing acquatic plants.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2011
8:43 PM

Post #8514409

I got to test the downspout diverters this evening when we got a good sized thunderstorm. No flooding from floor drain backups in the basement, but there was a good sized leak in the wall where the gas meter pipe comes into the wall. But there was nothing in the way that was getting damaged, and it was flowing into the floor drain nearby, so I decided I could live with it until a day where I'm not so tired. Went to the nursing home to see DDIL's grandmother, went to Target to get some big plastic see-through bins, went to grocery & of course the big thunderstorm started when I was ready to leave. But all-in-all, a better day than the rest of the week.

Bonnie, the headache is a somewhat unpredictable side effect of an epidural. Drink lots of fluids in addition to the caffeinated drinks and tylenol as needed. It will likely cure itself within the week.

I'm very grateful to the Prospect guys for their help. I picked them up after lunch, so that gets them out of 2 o'clock class, so they get to play hookey for their labors. Plus they got coca-colas, & 20 bucks each, & a quick trip to Walgreens to pick up a pack of cigs or a snack on the way back. They have to tell their counselors that they got money. The one kid had been complaining that his counselor wouldn't give him the 50 cents he needed to buy a pack of cigarettes.
I asked him if he was going into Walgreens, & he said no, he knew his counselor didn't want him to, which means he's farther along in his recovery than I thought! Two of the guys have worked construction, & one is an attorney, & they all worked hard.

Chele, I'll check withthe gardener/maintenance guy about veggies. They may be okay, but the Board is always grateful to know that people are willing to help. One of the new Board members is a landscaper, but I'm kinda hoping she lets the maintenance guy continue to landscape the grounds. They've never looked better.

Tree roots was the problem at the last house, but not here (despite all the trees). I think the problem started when they re-graded the road and put on new blacktop a few years ago. Just doesn't slope enough to encourage the water down to the storm drain.

OK, I'm off to bed. Everybody take care!
Pat
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
6:45 AM

Post #8515007

Pat, it's so nice to hear your better news!

It's also nice to hear that the guys are doing so well and you worked out a deal that was mutually beneficial. I'm sure they enjoyed getting out and earning a bit even if it was to scrub your basement. LOL Seriously, the guys we met at your house were very nice and very helpful and we enjoyed chatting with them. I think they were a bit amused when Craig tried to steal your fire hydrant. chuckle

If they need anything, let me know. Of course I'm willing to help. Everyone gets down on their luck, makes a bad call or just goes through a spell where life kicks them in the butt! It's good to know they are getting a second chance.

If you need anything, you let me know too!

Maybe you should call the city or whoever back to check on the elevation and grading. Let them know when your problems started and see if they are related. I know we had to pay for storm water drainage when we lived in the city. It oughta work!!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2011
10:14 AM

Post #8515407

Today is my youngest's birthday, so trying to make it his day and do what he wants to do...he just hasn't decided yet. We always tell the kids they can pick where ever they want for dinner for their birthday... this year he says he wants burgers and brats at home. I'm disappointed! We don't go out to dinner very often... and I hate missing a chance!

Pat, can I have your guys? It sounds like they accomplished a lot in the short time you had them!

I finally feel better... no sore throat, though a cough is sticking around. I got the rest of my tomatoes transplanted, and have all the tags made for the stuff the mice at. I have 16 hosta liners to get in the ground, but doesn't look like they'll get planted until next week! I think Friday is the only day they're saying it won't be raining.

Bonnie, my dad always said the same thing... if it rains on Easter, it will rain for the next 6 Sundays... it usually does too, so that might mean we'll have a good growing summer for the first time in a LONG time!

My castor beans rotted Chele.. I may have to bum a couple.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
10:51 AM

Post #8515472

I had to scroll back up and see when I started those seeds. April 15th! The hyacinth beans were up first then the moonflower vines and yesterday I could see the mounds where the castor beans were about to bust. 7-8 days is pretty darn good! They are all in the same plug flat so they are easy to keep an eye on. Melissa, if you want some, I'll go ahead and start more. Bonnie was very generous with the seeds!

Oh, the Chinese 5 color and California Golden wonders sprung up over night. They are over an inch tall today. I poked down in the Bhut Jolokia and they've sprouted! I imagine I'll be seeing them tomorrow.

I've been potting up some shrubs and bulbs and I'm about to go hit the whole greenhouse with the hose. It's 80 at one end and 70 at the other and the sprouting side is dry.

All of the tomatoes out in the hoophouse did really good. They've been out there for 2 overnights now and the plastic blew open sometime in the night and they did great in the wind and rain. We pulled the cover back over and screwed it down since more storms are pending.

Gotta get back at it.

Oh, Bonnie, congrats on the audit clearance! I'm sure that is a load off!!
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
11:57 AM

Post #8515567

Currently tally is 1.84 inches of rain since midnight. And it's coming down like crazy right now!

I was going to clip some more daffodils and tulips for inside tomorrow, but I'd need a canoe (or an ark) to get to them.

Off to the garage to bag up some more moldy stuff.
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
12:17 PM

Post #8515589

OK, now we're at 2.36 inches, just since my last post! Lovely.
Pat
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
12:23 PM

Post #8515603

Here's one view from the house.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
12:25 PM

Post #8515604

And the pond that the daylilies are in--- it's not a pond.

Thumbnail by goshsmom

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
12:59 PM

Post #8515652

Wow Pat! That's a lot of water! I'd get pictures of mine but it's raining too hard. LOL

I set some pots of grass in a baby pool yesterday afternoon so I could water them and barely got them sprinkled and had to run. Before this last storm, there was 3" of water in there.

I just came in to put Nolan to sleep and it looks like it's the worst down along the river. We just got out of the tornado warning but are still under thunderstorm watch or warning.

I just sat down for a few to eat some Spanish rice then I'm back out the door. The kids are impatiently waiting for Nolan to get up so they can color eggs.

Hope you all keep dry!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2011
2:04 PM

Post #8515723

This house along the river shook. The boys decided they wanted to go to the game place, so they took off by themselves and left mom here. I went to the grocery to pick up dinner supplies, and the tornado sirens went off as I was coming out of the store. Nothing like hearing "if you're in this area, take cover" on the radio as you're driving home. LOL All appears to be well, just a LOT of rain.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 23, 2011
2:06 PM

Post #8515728

Pat I sympathize. How long will it take to drain? I still have some of the snow melt. We had beautiful day. Clouded up in the last hour. I spent the day separating a Hal's Pink day lily. I think they should be separated more often than every 10 years. Had grass in it, too. One of the few I have the name for.
I'm curious, what is the function of the enlarged section of the day lily roots? a lot broke off.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
5:51 PM

Post #8516196

Melissa, when I was putting Nolan down for a nap, they mentioned Felicity a few times. I love when they get to the rural areas then make comments about how there's not much population. LOL I guess we don't matter if we have huge yards and critters. Glad to hear you fared okay.

We were in the car once when that screeching horn thing came on to tell us there was a tornado warning and to take shelter immediately! Pretty darn scary. Our neighbor was walking home from the little Mt. Washington Kroger and it turned pitch black and leaves were flying, rain was pouring and we tried to catch her to get in our car. She shot between two buildings and we couldn't find her. Her husband was pretty darned mad by the time she got home...

Herman, are you talking about the big finger/carrot like roots? Those are tubers. They store food for the daylily. So long as you left some, you should be okay. They will send out hairy roots which will eventually turn into those big feeder tubers again. Sometimes when you by through the mail, they cut them way back. A lot of people don't like that. I only trim extremely long ones. They seem to live either way.

Just got in from the greenhouse. Potted up close to 300 Hesperaloe, did some more rearranging, bumped some of the Patio tomatoes to 4" pots and fed everybody out there.

Melissa, I was wrong. One Bhut jolokia broke free and is about 1/2" tall. LOL Hey, it's up!! I didn't expect to see any until tomorrow.

My little Meyer's Lilacs are blooming. Funny to see blooms on a shrub about 10" tall.

Ate dinner when I came in and I think it's REALLY shower time. Phew!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
8:10 PM

Post #8516538

I have been without internet since last night. I have internet by satellite, and during heavy rains, it does go out, but is usually right back on.

We have had over 5 inches of rain today. We were up and down all night with tornado warnings DGD kicked DH out of our bed and we slept, or were in the same bed the rest of the night. Poor Mr. B has either been under a bed, or in a closet with all the storms that we are having.

Chele, glad that the things you moved out of the greenhouse are doing good. Sounds like you are still very busy, and will have lots more to pot up and get ready for sale.

DGD and I were out and about most of the day. DH's phone died, and we went to the Verizon store, and he got a replacement phone. Went to Walmart, and bought easter candy and stuff for the kids at church, ate lunch, went to Goody's and a Master Gardener's plant sale. DGD was looking for a blouse but, we didnt find one.

Well, we are going to Easter Sunrise service in the morning so best be thinking about heading to bed. We are going to DH's cousin's house for Easter dinner tomorrow, then sometime tomorrow afternoon will have to take DGD to meet her mother. She has a sinus infection, went to the Dr on Thursday, and is feeling a bit better, but still not up to par. She is coughing a lot, and I asked why they didn't give her cough syrup, but she said that she didn't start coughing until Friday.

Good night everybody.
goshsmom
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
8:35 PM

Post #8516573

Happy Easter to those so inclined, and a Blessed Holy Week for my Eastern Orthodox friends, and a belated Chag Pesach Sameach for my Jewish friends, and blessings in general to everyone, everywhere!
Pat
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

April 23, 2011
9:31 PM

Post #8516636

Hubby checked the rain gauge when he came home, we got 4.5 today, 2 yesterday... that's a lot of rain.

Bonnie, after the storm came through here, I was watching the local tv station,and they mentioned Pleasureville!

Happy Easter all
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8517040

Yes, the only time it gets mentioned is weather or major crime

Been to sunrise service and about ready to head out to regular church, then dinner at DH's cousin's. I think it is turkey.

Happy Easter, even if it is raining.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

April 24, 2011
7:21 AM

Post #8517119

Happy Easter everyone :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8517161

HAPPY EASTER!

The kids are all sugared up and begging to hunt eggs already. I'm still trying to get coffee in me. I set the ham on the stove a minute ago and that is as far as I've gotten. LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
9:54 AM

Post #8517394

Close to 60 flats outside. They are only slightly ticked off. LOL Been out there 3 nights. They were uncovered through the storm night before last. I did have to put the Tomatillo back in the greenhouse. They REALLY did not like the cold!

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
9:55 AM

Post #8517397

From the side.

Thumbnail by Badseed

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
7:30 PM

Post #8518527

Chele, hope the ham did make it into the oven today!

We went to sunrise service this morning (boy that was a misnomer today) and then home for some coffee and read the paper, and then off to Sunday School and Church again. DGD and I put together an Easter Egg hunt at the church for the little ones. I made sure that all the "real eggs" were found, as we had to have it inside because of the rain. That would have been a real smelly service next week. After we finished with that, we headed off to DH's cousin's house for dinner. She had ham and turkey both, with all the trimmings for each. We came home and had a nap, and when I woke, I had to take DGD home. DH called me when I was on the way back home, and he was returning to his cousin's for leftovers. I passed on that, as I was still full from lunch, and I didn't overeat, even turned down fresh strawberry pie for lunch.

Chele, the tomatoes look very happy out there. Wish mine were as big and as happy looking.

Poor Mr. B has only been out from under the bed, or out of the closet for very short periods of time, because of all the thunder and lightening. Then I have been running all weekend, and all he has seen, if he has been out of hiding, is my back, as I head out the door again. I will make it up to him tomorrow.

WL's are predicting rain through Thursday. So not much outside work will be done this week. I have iris that are beginning to bloom, and I so hope that the rain won't destroy the blooms. They are so pretty, and I have every color under the rainbow. Will try to get some pics of them in bloom.

I am heading off to bed shortly, despite my nap this afternoon. I think the hectic weekend has caught up to me.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2011
7:48 PM

Post #8518558

Yes. LOL! The ham was baked! Also made pasta and cheese and green beans and rolls. Kristenne baked a cake and Craig picked up some ice cream on the way home from work. He was gone all day. The kids and I hung out, played outside for a bit and Carly and Lillie did ALL of the laundry this weekend! I'm still stuffed from dinner and haven't had dessert. Ham does bad things to my ankles! But it's so darn good!

Thanks for the compliments on the tomatoes. A few have some spots on the leaves, pouting from being tossed out into the cold and rain. I guess they liked their little 70-75 hotel. All in all, they are doing very well. I hope they get to see some sun soon! Someone asked me if they were big enough to ship yet and I told them some might be too big. They've done really well!

It sounds like you had a busy and productive day. I'm sure the people at church were quite happy that all of the eggs were found. hehehe

I bet it was nice to have somewhere to go for dinner. Laughing that you didn't go back for a refill. I'm still stuffed and we ate like 4 hours ago.

I guess you better talk Mr. B out of the closet and take him for a ride before he gets really mad at you.

Weekends are never long enough. It was nice not to have to spend my Saturday on a soccer field. We have four more Saturdays of that though. Softball games start in early March. Ugh. I'm already dreading it. Not sure I'll have gas money to get to the games and they overlap the other kids soccer practice and games. I'm thankful for the hubby's job and income but it sure would be nice if it was a decent wage. Might be good for a college kid but it sure isn't enough to support a family! It'll be nice when plants start to sell. Hopefully hubby will hear something on his job soon. I guess I'm going to start trying to find something around his hours again. I'd have to make at least $250 a week just to stay where we are now since they'll yank benefits. grumble grumble. I know it could be worse. It has. LOL

I guess I'm heading up the hall myself. Hope you all had a HAPPY EASTER!
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 25, 2011
5:52 AM

Post #8519004

I baked my 8 lb ham. It smelled delicious, then when I sliced it I remembered my diet. So ate my 3 or 4 oz's. Can you say leftovers?
Sat after dinner i went out to do a little more clearing of the honey suckle. When I came in I noticed an itch and half inch welts on my leg. They have been itching ever since. Woke me at 5:30 this AM.. With an area the size of a city lot inundated in my back yard I think I need an industrial size container of DEET. Can't wait for warm weather.
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8519051

Doesn't the D word especially stink on holidays (or any time something smells or tastes so darn good??)?! LOL

Oh joy! The skeeters are eating you up already? My 7 year old said "Mom, I have a big bump and it itches!". I looked. Sure enough. Mosquito bite.

That does remind me I need to pick up some Bt for the rain barrels. May have to buy a skid and just toss them all over the yard. My yard is over 7 acres and right now, mostly under water!

I can't wait for drier weather!

Running outside to dig up a few daylilies. I need to weed eat around the porch, greenhouse and new *soon to be* raised beds. Then I need to take some photos so I can update my website. Hubby has to leave in 1.5 hours. Wonder how well my 2 year old is going to cooperate. haha
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2011
7:03 PM

Post #8520497

I tried and tried this morning to log on to DG but it was a no go. Got busy doing other things, and am just now getting back.

Well, the mini greenhouses seemed like a good idea. I had 4 trays of tomatoes in one, and I sat it out in front of the garage and then the wind kicked up about 3:00 this afternoon, knocking it over, and spilling all of the 4 trays out. Dirt everywhere. I picked up what I could, and repotted some, but I doubt that they will recover and do anything. Guess DH will finally discover how costly the tomato plants will be this year. I do have 5 other trays, but dang it, it just makes me mad. Now if I had a greenhouse... not going there as if I get started, it may not end good.

We had easter lunch with DH's cousin, and it was all good. The only bad thing about eating out is there are no left overs. I cooked some cubed round steak in mushrooms and onions in the crock pot today, then made gravy when the meat was done. It was a passable meal. I have plenty of leftovers in the fridge so we will eat them tomorrow night, as we are going to my DTS's tomorrow. She has been in so much pain with her fibro, and I am going to help her to some things that she has been complaining about not being able to do. (she doesn't know I am coming to work, she thinks I am visiting)

Pat is the sorting and discarding still going on?

They evacuated a town in our county late this afternoon. The town is situated below a dam to a lake, and the dam has been compromised. If it breaks, it will take out the whole town. So if you hear Henry Co mentioned on the news, just know it is about 15 miles from me. Feel so bad for all of those people who may lose everything.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 25, 2011

Post #8520584

Still itching from Sat nite bites. Used to do this all the time until I started taking Vitamin B complex. Still taking it. seems to have lost it's effectiveness. Rubbing alcohol soothes it for a while. Probably need a cortisone cream.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

April 26, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8521058

I took all my stuff out of the greenhouse a few winds ago and have just been leaving them on the front porch. I figure that way the heavy rains won't beat them down. When the high winds have been coming through I've just been moving them inside. These plants are well traveled this spring. Who knows when they can go in the ground.

Bonnie, was there very many people at the garden fair Saturday? It was raining and storming so bad Saturday morning that we just decided to stay home from all the markets. All I needed was for someone to get struck by lightening while holding a tent pole. Going out and getting sopping wet held no interest for me. I cleaned some house that hadn't seen a dust cloth in some time.

Bonnie, are you very far from Jericho Lake? The Coombs are are Lake Jericho road but I don't know if that's really close to the lake.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 26, 2011
8:55 AM

Post #8521511

Found several Pagoda Dogwood seedlings. One year, up to 6". Beautiful day, but windy. Can't waste time here.
Herman
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
6:29 PM

Post #8522767

Oh, Herman, do those Dogwoods have homes? Wink, wink!

Janet, I didn't get there until about 12:30. They had moved everything into Floral Hall, with the exception of the farmer's market. I didn't see but a few people there, and I checked it out earlier. I did some errands thinking that the weather would get better, but it didn't. I don't know why they insist on having that sale in April. The weather has been horrible for the past 3 or 4 years. If it is not raining, it is colder than the dickens.

How do you know the Coombs? Lake Jericho is about 20 or more miles from me, in the direction of LaGrange. Picture a big body of water, and the Coombs live on the uphill side of the lake, and the town of Sulphur is on the downhill side, with the lake dam directly above the town. I heard on the news that the Corps of Engineers examined the dam today, and decided it was safe and people were allowed to return to their homes. They say that work will be done on the dam, as soon as it dries up, but it is not an emergency. It was the local Emergency Management Director (Henry Co) that deemed it unsafe and ordered the evacuation. I know if I lived below it, I would want to know about every little trickle of water that was not supposed to be there.

Chele, where are you honey? Are you trying to swim your way to the greenhouse, bet those flippers are giving you trouble, getting them off and on, just remember, they go on last, after you put the wetsuit on.

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
6:56 PM

Post #8522824

I'm here. Just been a little busy not getting much done and kind of in the dumps.

Yes, it's pretty wet here. I went out today and fired up the weed eater anyway and trimmed around the soon to be raised beds and the greenhouse and one side of the porch. Then it was time for Craig to go to work. It's nice that he's home one day and I can get stuff done but it makes the rest of the week a real pain. Saturdays are bust until about 4pm because of soccer then I'm kind of blah. We've been having practices 5 nights a week so I have to stop soon after the kids get home and get cleaned up to go. The last 2 nights I didn't get cleaned up so I had to hide in the car. LOL

Craig still hasn't heard anything about the job. The supervisor that I guess has the say in the matter finally comes back tomorrow which is Craig's day off. sigh...

All of the tomatoes are still holding their own but several have spots on their leaves now. I guess it's a combination of the wind and being cool. I'm sure they'll be happy to see some sun. I had to go out today and tape the ends shut because of the wind. Good news though, the peppers are nice and warm in the greenhouse and growing pretty quickly.

Not much going on here. Hoping Craig is going to keep Nolan happy tomorrow so I can get outside and get something done. I need to do more transplanting but I'm not sure where I'm going to put anything else. I seriously need to think about a permanent hoophouse for next year. I had one the first year I was here but we used the panels for the chicken tractors. One is in the barn holding the rabbit's cages.

Speaking of Dogwoods, I need to plant my red twig and sever and dig up the spreading ones on my yellow twig. I haven't even cut my grasses back yet. So much to do. So little time... I need to pot up all the willows and Petunias on my rooting tables too. Once I get all the gardens settled, I may root a bunch of burning bush.

Oh, I think Jazzi's soccer coach is going to give me a dozen Norfolk Pines. I thought he was joking but he sent me a text a bit ago to see if I really want them. Hope it works out.
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 26, 2011

Post #8522875

The Pagoda pups were hiding under Mama. Only home is huddled together in a 6" pot temporarily. Usually the birds clean the berries as soon as they ripen, but not last year. It is really a nice tree, but needs about a 20' circle to spread out.. Mine is about 12 years and spreads about 15' about 12'high.
I know I sound like a DOM, but I would like a Naked Lady for my garden. I guess I should ask for Lycoris Squamosa. They should be in active growth now and shouldn't be moved until they die down. I really don't know when the proper time to move them
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011

Post #8522949

That wish, I can grant! I have Lycoris squamigera. I'm not sure it matters when you move them as the pout anyway! LOL DOM??
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
7:45 PM

Post #8522961

Herman, I have naked ladies by the barrel. Trade you?
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
7:49 PM

Post #8522967

Ooo, I love those! A neighbor has them, and I get to admire them every year.

Pssst...my poor li'l dial-up mouse is squealing...
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
8:04 PM

Post #8523020

Good grief! You ladies and your mouses! LOL

And Herman wanting naked ladies and we're lining up to send them. hehe

I'll start a new one in the morning. I only have one hand at the moment.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 26, 2011
8:34 PM

Post #8523127

I had to leave home at 5 AM to get to Mankato Hospital for surgery at 6 AM. I had a small navel hernia fixed.
It was raining when we left & we got wet going from parking lot to the hospital door.
This is the first time in my life my body has been cut open. Never a surgery or a broken bone. Quite an experience. The best thing about it was how nice & friendly all the nurses & doctors were. They took any scare I had out of it. All went very well & now I can take it easy for a month. Do you believe that.

Sorry to here you are all having such crappy weather. We got some carrots & beets in yesterday. Some radish are up. All onion plants are in the ground, as well as first planting of Glads, peas, & beans.
Crop farmers are at a standstill. Only one 200 acre field of corn planted in all of southern MN.
Bernie
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
5:30 AM

Post #8523622

Bernie! Why didn't you tell us BEFORE you went?? Did they knock you out for that? I hate hospitals and doctors. I'd do my own procedures if it wasn't for the sterilization end of things. LOL Glad to hear you get to lounge around for a month? Are you going to be able to do it?? You are quite lucky that you made it so far with no injuries!! Must be all that good, healthy farm living. :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8523637

Here's a new thread...for all of the mouses.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1176308/

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 27, 2011
5:38 AM

Post #8523639

Transferred to new thread.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2011 7:40 AM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
5:42 AM

Post #8523648

Farming can definitely be dangerous. Quite a few out here have lost digits, limbs and even their lives. I can't remember what movie I was watching. A young guy was dragging discs and fell off the tractor. You know what happened. Bleck.

Did they do everything through your belly button without cutting much? What they can do these days is amazing!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

April 27, 2011
5:55 AM

Post #8523680

Maybe a 1" cut.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
6:06 AM

Post #8523702

Not so bad! Hope you can behave for a month. :P
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2011
4:59 PM

Post #8524886

Hey badseed here is our first granddaughter now she is a year old so happy .

Thumbnail by REDROSE

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
5:01 PM

Post #8524891

Wow! A granddaughter?? She is a cutie!!
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2011
5:10 PM

Post #8524912

Thank you!
Is your all kids growing big and how is your baby?
She has 4 tooth and now she is bad mood other tooth try to grow out poor baby.

This message was edited Apr 27, 2011 6:13 PM
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011

Post #8524963

The girls are 17,15,13,11,9 and 7 now and the baby boy just turned 2. They are growing way too fast!

Teething is no fun. That is for sure. My kids all liked chewing on carrots or wet wash cloths.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2011
6:41 PM

Post #8525135

Aww, what a beautiful little girl!
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2011
7:26 PM

Post #8525250

badseed... u has new pictures this year?
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
4:44 AM

Post #8525698

Morganne

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
4:45 AM

Post #8525701

Kristenne

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
4:56 AM

Post #8525717

Carlynne

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
5:00 AM

Post #8525728

Jazzi

I got in trouble for this one because she doesn't like it. She was tired and it was late. We had to wake her up to eat birthday cake. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
5:02 AM

Post #8525736

Maddie

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8525743

Lillienne and Nolan

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
5:05 AM

Post #8525746

Nolan dressed for soccer the last two weekends. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
5:29 AM

Post #8525787

Somehow I missed Lillie up there between Carly and Jazzi. Whoops.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
5:39 AM

Post #8525808

My little ham on his birthday last month.

Thumbnail by Badseed

Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 28, 2011
6:27 AM

Post #8525899

Chele,
Do you realize how many ear-to-ear smiles you just caused around the globe? What a gorgeous and delightful family!

Deanna
salix_man
Barberton, OH

April 28, 2011
6:42 AM

Post #8525970

Does Craig have to make reservations for the bathroom? I had 5 girls and one son and 1 bathroom
Herman
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
7:00 AM

Post #8526005

Awe thanks Deanna. I love them. Since I wasn't born into a good family, I made my own. LOL I inherited the rest through DG. :)

LOL Herman! Thankfully hubby works odd hours so he does get the bathroom because no one is here but Nolan and me. We have 2 full bathrooms but the shower in one has been messed up for awhile. We really need to fix it when we have the $$$. I'm sick of 9 people showering in mine!! I know people get by with less though. :)
REDROSE
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2011
8:26 AM

Post #8526131

WOW U GOT ALL BEAUTIFUL KIDS THANK FOR POSTED THE PHOTOS OF THEM.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
9:40 AM

Post #8526226

Thank you. :)

It's good to hear from you!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
2:00 PM

Post #8526708

Yep, they're gorgeous, and tell Jazzy that there's no way she can look bad in a picture!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2011
2:35 PM

Post #8526746

Thanks Renee! I'm still in trouble. LOL

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America