-
AuthorContent
Nia3
NE, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2011
6:29 AM

Post #8482373

I've been putting out hummingbird feeders for years and the bees have never seemed to notice. This year however, they are covering my feeders and keeping the hummingbirds away. Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against bees. As a matter of fact, I plant mostly native plants to attract bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. I'm just wondering why they have suddenly become so attracted to the feeders. Is there any way to encourage them to leave the feeders and go back to the flowers?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

April 19, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8507291

Nia, are you having the miserably cold spring that we are here in the Pacific Northwest? I would suspect that they are having trouble finding food sources right now & the feeders are looking good!
Nia3
NE, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2011
5:15 AM

Post #8508242

Well, the feeders are looking good to them, but we're actually having a very warm, early spring. It was 92 degrees yesterday afternoon. I have plants blooming a month earlier than normal. We are also having extreme drought conditions and I have wondered if that might have something to do with it.
Thank you for your response.
Jumpin4Joy
Orangeburg, SC

May 9, 2011
3:08 PM

Post #8550501

They may be having a hard time finding a close water source. When I mix my feed for my bees it is 1:1 of water and sugar so they think your feeding them Im sure.
Nia3
NE, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2011
7:52 PM

Post #8551226

That makes sense...
We have had a few rainy days recently, nothing close to drought busters, but I haven't noticed the bees on the feeders since the rain.
I really don't mind the bees, just thought it was odd.
Thanks!
cfbloom
Marengo, IL

May 12, 2011
8:36 PM

Post #8559290

are you sure they are honeybees at your humming bird feeders? I have 5 hives & 2 feeders and honeybees NEVER frequent the feeders.
The feeders will become full of yellow jackets and the hornets that live in the ground & chase the hummingbirds away. I have usually been able to locate a nest with 20-30 yards of the feeders. Time to spray. If they are the nasty ground hornets, you can cover the opening with a glass fish bowl. The nest usually starves within 3-4 days. The pancake shaped brood cells with larva are relished by coons, possums, skunks & probably mice.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America