Shooting The Moon 2011

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

* This is a continuation of the Shooting The Moon series, originally started by Gardnerkett.

First started here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/932744/

Second thread here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1066434/

With a 'pit-stop' here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1145888/

--------------- * --------------*----------------*---------------*---------------*--------------* --------------- * ---------------

* The Moon, the Planets, the Auroras.. well just about anything celestial, or space related is the focus of this thread, - with emphasis on its namesake of course...

The Moon.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Latest shot taken 5 days ago, first night after the full moon on April 4th.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

... and then of course there's tonight.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Couldn't get any more detail because we have hazy skies tonight, rain expected tomorrow morning. Atmospheric disturbance didn't help any since the moon was about 35 above the horizon when I took these.

un-cropped image

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

Last but not least...

(really wish I had better seeing conditions tonight for this one)
un-cropped image

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Second night after fullmoon. Pic by my DD, Canon 550d basic lens.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Melbourne, FL

Amazing shots, Watercan.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Great work, WC!

Melbourne, FL

I got this shot a couple of hours ago...I call it "Fly me past the moon".

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Gardenpom, that's a shot, ok! Great!

- Thanks guys.. ☺

Great shot Gardenpom! ..Wonderful!!

(I'm trying to do that with a flock of geese, but I need to find out their flight schedule.. lol!)

Melbourne, FL

I was watching the plane, and I really did not think it was going to be that near the moon, but got lucky. I really would love to get one right across the moon.

Yeah, that would be awesome, but yours is really good, it's a matter of right time, right place and seeing the possibility. If I were you I'd be tempted to send it to the marketing dept of a major airline, along with a cover letter, they may be interested!

Excellent shot, gardenpom.

(Don't send one that's more than 250k if you do, that way you still keep the original printable quality unless they want to buy it.)
- I'm, sure you know that already though.. ☺

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Certain shots are really lucky like gardenpom's! One has to be in the right angle too at the right time and with the camera on the ready, when such a quick object as a plane shoots across! It's a lovely shot gardenpom! I love that.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I remembered this shot though the objects were stationary. Here, I could not hold the camera down a couple of inches as there was a wall. That way, I could have had the bird in the centre of the moon b/g.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

That's still a very nice shot, Dinu!

Tonight's moon

4/14/11 @ 9:40pm

This message was edited Apr 14, 2011 9:28 PM

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Moon over Palo Alto, Apr. 14, 7:55 p.m. PDT ...

This message was edited Apr 14, 2011 8:55 PM

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

WaterCan2, I'm unable to enlarge your latest moon picture. What could be the reason?

Yes, National Security Dinu.
I accidentally took pictures of a secret golf course just below the small bright crater in the upper left hand corner on the moon that no one is supposed to know about.. (lol)

- don't know, it works for me when I click on it maybe server problem?

Here, try this one taken an hour later at 10:06 pm EST

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Blenheim, New Zealand

super shots and great detail

Amazing, WC!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

WC2, the security allowed me this time to view the moon through your camera, thanks. No, it was not a golf course... you are mistaken. Take another look and you will find out! Fine picture that!

Ok, I'll take another look, but I could have sworn I saw Tiger Woods up there!
-Thank you, all ☺

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Watercan2, if I say anything more you have already planned to tell me next, that you saw the brand name on Tiger Woods' Golf club or the number embossed on it! Today, it is cloudy here and the moon is playing hide n'seek.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Palo Alto Moon, Apr. 16, 7:58 p.m. ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Tonight 10:33 pm EDT

I figure the color cast is due to the moon's low altitude over the horizon, as is the slight lack of definition on the crater edges.

Thumbnail by WaterCan2

10:22 pm EDT

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I took this photo and the next one on a recent vacation to Big Bend National Park. The moon was setting and the sun was rising behind me. This was before the sun had come up - just moonlight.

Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

This is the same view as the sun was coming up behind me and the moon was getting lower in the sky. That early morning golden sunlight lit up the grasses and cacti. A huge difference for a few minutes.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, those are absolutely wonderful shots! Breathtaking!

edit: On further reflection: That's ART! Ansel Adams in Technicolor!

This message was edited Jun 4, 2011 12:04 PM

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great shots everyone!
WC, LOL!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Technicolour movies were quite unique in those days! Good view of moon, hill and cacti.

... tumble weeds, mountains, 20 miles of dessert sand...

Fremont, CA(Zone 9a)

For some parts of the world another eclipse. If you can't see it - Check out Google Doodle [edit to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF3OqcG7SIU since Google move it - I will try to post direct Google screen when they update] or http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-20071354-71/googles-new-doodle-eclipses-everything/

This message was edited Jun 16, 2011 9:19 AM

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oooh, thanks for the link, PotEmUp! I saw some of this on the evening news ...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Any eclipse photos? Wish we could have seen it here. It was cool on the webcams, but not like the real thing.

There was another good photo op last Tuesday night - one night before the eclipse. This opportunity was the opposite situation as my last shots. The moon was rising as the sun was setting. I got these shooting from the parking garage at the Kemah Boardwalk.

With a wide angle lens:

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

And this one with a telephoto, 400mm

The bird did fly right past the moon and I did get the shot, but he was in a very weird flight postition and looked more like a blob than a bird. Rats. That could have been a really good one. Oh well, I get to try it again.

Patti

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.