Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Palm Pods

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

I am posting this on the Carolina forum instead of Palms - we have three windmills, about 7 years old. The healthiest and biggest one has two beautiful pods on it.

Could they be palm seeds? Looking on the internet, the seeds are supposed to be black.

Anyway, they are certainly beauiful and mysterious looking.

Entlie

Thumbnail by Entlie
(Zone 9a)

Not positive but I think that is the flowers just emerging. Hopefully seeds will come later.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

You piqued my curiosity so I had to look it up. Found this, "The yellow sprays are not seed – they are flowers. A mature windmill palm will bloom each year. IF your palm is female and IF there is a male palm nearby, you’ll get round blue seeds in August."

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That's what puts off the pollen (male part) so no that won't produce seeds.

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Ooh. How interesting! I'll be watching for the round blue seeds come August!
Entlie

(Linny) Salem, SC(Zone 7b)

Wow! How utterly gorgeous. I would try to make a large print and frame it.

Johns Island, SC

Yup! They're flowers, entlie! Got them on mine, even as we "communicate" (not sure what the right word is in this day and age...

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks Stono, we probably get these every year but we're not home at this time to see them!

Entlie

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

So Stono, do you think this tree is a male or a female?
Entlile

Johns Island, SC

LOL, Entlie! Clearly a "Male" because of the beautiful flowers...which contradicts everything I've ever learned horticulturally...but what do those experts know?

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Well you're an expert as far as I'm concerned :)
Entlie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.